Jump to topic:

is masturbation a sin?

iamadabater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 7:08:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are many opinions that i have been hearing from diffirent people about this matter. So, is masturbation a sin or not (at least for Christians) ? Give me your insights about this.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 7:49:22 AM
At 1/2/2014 7:08:12 AM, iamadabater wrote:
There are many opinions that i have been hearing from diffirent people about this matter. So, is masturbation a sin or not (at least for Christians) ? Give me your insights about this.

It's not a sin if you like it but pretend that you don't, so sayeth the scripture.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 9:09:28 AM

Whatever the flesh desires deceives you of who you are in the mind of our Creator. Masturbation isn't something that the spirit loves to do.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 9:26:21 AM
At 1/2/2014 9:09:28 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Whatever the flesh desires deceives you of who you are in the mind of our Creator. Masturbation isn't something that the spirit loves to do.
But it's a 24/7 pastime for you bog. PMSL
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 9:29:43 AM
At 1/2/2014 9:26:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

Yes, My spirit doesn't masturbate because it loves God instead of desiring the things the flesh sees in this world.

You are a very jealous unbeliever who rejects our Creator. Listening to you is like listening to any Christian pastor or priest who lies to their followers.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 9:35:01 AM
At 1/2/2014 9:29:43 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Yes, My spirit doesn't masturbate because it loves God instead of desiring the things the flesh sees in this world.

You are a very jealous unbeliever who rejects our Creator. Listening to you is like listening to any Christian pastor or priest who lies to their followers.
I'm your god bog, not some silly preacher.

That's what I use you for.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 9:42:20 AM
At 1/2/2014 9:35:01 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/2/2014 9:29:43 AM, bornofgod wrote:

I'm your god bog, not some silly preacher.

That's what I use you for.

Satan is your god, not mine.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:15:32 AM

If it is I'll be in hell sooner than I thought.
Jingram994
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 12:22:42 PM

I think it technically is, according to a lot of the 'major' religions, but a lot of them also have the proviso 'only if you enjoy it'. As though one could somehow not enjoy it. And something being a 'sin' does not actually mean it is immoral or 'wrong', only that it is against the commandments of a given religion.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 3:41:01 PM
At 1/2/2014 12:22:42 PM, Jingram994 wrote:

I think it technically is, according to a lot of the 'major' religions, but a lot of them also have the proviso 'only if you enjoy it'. As though one could somehow not enjoy it. And something being a 'sin' does not actually mean it is immoral or 'wrong', only that it is against the commandments of a given religion.

What's the difference between a masturbator and a Christian ( sinner ) judging the masturbator? They both disobey the commandments of God because they have no idea who He is.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 4:39:23 PM
I hope not! I just rubbed one out!
Jingram994
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 10:54:36 PM
At 1/2/2014 3:41:01 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/2/2014 12:22:42 PM, Jingram994 wrote:

What's the difference between a masturbator and a Christian ( sinner ) judging the masturbator? They both disobey the commandments of God because they have no idea who He is.

Yeah. This is part of the reason that 'sin' does not actually mean, or even imply, 'immorality'. The two are completely different things. And I'm not actually religious myself, just in case that wasn't obvious.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:27:11 PM

In Genesis 38:9-10 reads, "And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother"s wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. 10 And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also. "
See, God was displeased that Onan spilled his sperm purposely, which, of course is masturbation
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:49:25 PM
At 1/2/2014 11:27:11 PM, Ruckmanite wrote:

In Genesis 38:9-10 reads, "And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother"s wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. 10 And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also. "
See, God was displeased that Onan spilled his sperm purposely, which, of course is masturbation
Where does it say that? Oh that's right it doesn't. Masturbation is the only way to "spill your seed" (what a stupid phrase) is it? Oh gee. The law said that his brothers widow was his obligation that is more likely what your stupid goatherder (author) meant.

The lengths you people need to go to make words say what you want them to say rather than what they actually say. Really pathetic.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:02:13 AM
At 1/2/2014 11:49:25 PM, bulproof wrote:

Where does it say that? Oh that's right it doesn't. Masturbation is the only way to "spill your seed" (what a stupid phrase) is it? Oh gee. The law said that his brothers widow was his obligation that is more likely what your stupid goatherder (author) meant.

The lengths you people need to go to make words say what you want them to say rather than what they actually say. Really pathetic.

And you're so quick to respond! Alright, if the sin was not having children with his brother's widow, then he would have been punished but not died. The Law (which you referenced) says in Deut 25:5-10:
If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Ok, here is Onan's situation

6 And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel.

7 And if the man like not to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate unto the elders, and say, My husband's brother refuseth to raise up unto his brother a name in Israel, he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother.

8 Then the elders of his city shall call him, and speak unto him: and if he stand to it, and say, I like not to take her;

9 Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house.

Does the man die??????? No, he doesn't. Since Onan does die though, his SIN MUST NOT be refusing to have children with his sister in law. His sin was "spilling the seed" or in other words, masturbation.
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:06:21 AM
yes. and ew
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:08:46 AM
At 1/3/2014 12:02:13 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:

And you're so quick to respond! Alright, if the sin was not having children with his brother's widow, then he would have been punished but not died. The Law (which you referenced) says in Deut 25:5-10:
If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

6 And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel.

7 And if the man like not to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate unto the elders, and say, My husband's brother refuseth to raise up unto his brother a name in Israel, he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother.

8 Then the elders of his city shall call him, and speak unto him: and if he stand to it, and say, I like not to take her;

9 Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house.

Does the man die??????? No, he doesn't. Since Onan does die though, his SIN MUST NOT be refusing to have children with his sister in law. His sin was "spilling the seed" or in other words, masturbation.
So now onan didn't die, why does the story say he did?

Do you really believe that this most insane of all gods actually kills anybody who has a wank?

Why didn't this all knowing god ever mention female masturbation? Would that be because the goatfvckers didn't know it went on, or they didn't count. Just like a goat frotting itself off wasn't a sin, lets face it the goat had more value than the woman.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:13:01 AM
At 1/3/2014 12:08:46 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/3/2014 12:02:13 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:

So now onan didn't die, why does the story say he did?
Di you not understand????? Of course Onan died, but it was because of masturbation, NOT FOR REFUSING TO IMPREGNATE HIS SISTER IN LAW. Deut 25 proves that when someone (like Onan) refuses to impregnate their sister in law they are punished, but not killed. So Onan died for spilling his seed.
Understand?????
Do you really believe that this most insane of all gods actually kills anybody who has a wank?

Why didn't this all knowing god ever mention female masturbation? Would that be because the goatfvckers didn't know it went on, or they didn't count. Just like a goat frotting itself off wasn't a sin, lets face it the goat had more value than the woman.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:17:08 AM

Fairly pat example of a god unworthy of mankind's admiration much less worship. God murders Er for not wanting to impregnate his wife then tries to force Onan to knock up his brother's widow. Unwilling to rape his sister-in-law or maybe just unwilling to burden her with a bastard child, Onan withdraws before ejaculation so God murders him too. Yuck. Scripture is less clear whether God was crouching in a corner of the tent panting heavily while forcing his minions to have sex against their will. Nor does scripture relate the lamentation of the bereaved families after God stumbled away from the carnage. If such a deity were real, wouldn't any moral man reject him?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:24:02 AM
Ya missed the important stuff, too scarrrrry for ya? PMSFL
At 1/3/2014 12:13:01 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:

Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:29:57 AM
At 1/3/2014 12:24:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
Ya missed the important stuff, too scarrrrry for ya? PMSFL
At 1/3/2014 12:13:01 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:
In the OT yes.

Did you ever consider how many times God applies laws to men (fornication, adultery, murder, stealing, lying) that also apply to women?
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 12:58:27 AM
Everything you do except praying is a sin, it seems...
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:11:34 AM
Di you not understand????? Of course Onan died, but it was because of masturbation, NOT FOR REFUSING TO IMPREGNATE HIS SISTER IN LAW. Deut 25 proves that when someone (like Onan) refuses to impregnate their sister in law they are punished, but not killed. So Onan died for spilling his seed.
Understand?????

I believe that was the deleted 11th commandment, wasn't it?

"And GOD said, let no man fornicate, unless his brother just died, in which case he should roger his sister-in-law and roger her with haste, for if he rogers not the widow, the old men from the village will all stand around whilst the widow removes bits of that man's clothing and spits on him and so forth, but if that man nutteth not in the widow's vag, GOD shall smite him"

Reads more like a deleted scene from the "Road Warrior."
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:18:15 AM
No, there is nothing in the bible to establish this. The seed on the ground scripture, often used, is referring to an obligation to a to produce an heir for a deceased brother. Lust is a sin, so indirectly masturbation is a sin unless you can avoid lust in the process. Good luck with that Christians.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:25:10 AM
At 1/3/2014 1:11:34 AM, Oromagi wrote:
Understand?????

I believe that was the deleted 11th commandment, wasn't it?

"And GOD said, let no man fornicate, unless his brother just died, in which case he should roger his sister-in-law and roger her with haste, for if he rogers not the widow, the old men from the village will all stand around whilst the widow removes bits of that man's clothing and spits on him and so forth, but if that man nutteth not in the widow's vag, GOD shall smite him"

Reads more like a deleted scene from the "Road Warrior."

God hath chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise... 1 corinthians 1:27
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:31:13 AM
Yes it is sin... Indulgence, lustfulness & selfishness.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 1:49:25 AM
God hath chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise... 1 corinthians 1:27

Right, rather than consider the moral implications of propagating some ancient shepard's code that sanctioned rape, rather than wonder about the petty perversion of a God that murders maturbaters, we should wiggle our fingers in front of our eyes and intone, "it's all a myssssstery!"

Look, any institution that's worried about you jacking off is up to no good. State, religion, even parents. Masturbation is an ordinary, healthy human function. Any establishment that wants to regulate your lust is in the business of mind control and should not be trusted.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 2:00:53 AM
At 1/3/2014 1:49:25 AM, Oromagi wrote:

Right, rather than consider the moral implications of propagating some ancient shepard's code that sanctioned rape, rather than wonder about the petty perversion of a God that murders maturbaters, we should wiggle our fingers in front of our eyes and intone, "it's all a myssssstery!"

Look, any institution that's worried about you jacking off is up to no good. State, religion, even parents. Masturbation is an ordinary, healthy human function. Any establishment that wants to regulate your lust is in the business of mind control and should not be trusted.

Is that right? What about regulating suicidals thoughts? or regulating the actions of sex perverts?? or rapists? or murderers? Regulating lust isn't bad.
msheahan99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 2:17:00 AM
In my opinion masturbation is a sin because it almost always comes with either pornography and/or fantasies. I think of it sort of as a gateway sin, the same way that marijuana is a gateway drug. Masturbating will lead to further use of porn, then loss of respect for the opposite sex and as Time goes on morality begins to not be as clear. It's not that it's a horrible thing, but it could lead to horrible things.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2014 2:36:20 AM
Is that right? What about regulating suicidals thoughts? or regulating the actions of sex perverts?? or rapists? or murderers? Regulating lust isn't bad.

Wow. No distinction made between the private thought and the violent act? Care for a cookie with that kool-aid?

Rape and murder are regulated because infringe upon the rights of others. Thoughts of rape and murder are natural and any attempt to regulate those thoughts is mind control to be resisted by any person who loves freedom.

The actions of sex perverts is highly subjective. Since you promote the virtue of executing masturbaters, my guess is that your bar for perversion hangs rather low. To the extent that the sex pervert in question refrains from infringing on another human's rights, perversion is a private right. or would your god smite all them furries, too?

Any establishment that would regulate suicidal thoughts is a danger to human freedom.