Why do Atheists Only Attack Christianity

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 7:46:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/4/2014 7:27:14 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why not attack Islam or Buddhism? You may as well just call yourselves what you are: anti-Christian.

Here is Sam Harris, here is him making an argument that the bible & quran are plausibly not the result of divine communication................he is gasp............an atheist.

I dunno, looks like to me he is going after one of the foundations of islam, but maybe that is just me eh ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
eNo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:43:28 AM
Why not attack Islam or Buddhism? You may as well just call yourselves what you are: anti-Christian.

Because in this Christian dominated society most atheists are either former Christians, raised in Christians families, or merely a product of a predominately Christian society. You tend to argue the most with the people you are closest too. This is a bad analogy but.... You will tend to argue more with your own family, as opposed to say.... my family.
"Scholarly opinion, even well informed scholarly opinion, is not evidence."
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:44:29 AM

I live in the USA, where Christianity is the majority religion. If I were somehow to convince every Muslim and Buddhist to become atheist, it wouldn't do a thing. Christianity is the problem in the USA.

There are almost no Muslims in any of my circles. What would be the point? I'm anti-religion, but there's really only one branch of religion in the US that keeps fighting against teaching science, fighting against gay marriage, and indoctrinating children.
We are better than religion. We are better than gods.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:47:42 AM
At 1/4/2014 8:44:29 AM, RhysJaxson wrote:

but there's really only one branch of religion in the US that keeps fighting against teaching science, fighting against gay marriage, and indoctrinating children.

This shows how ignorant atheists genuinely are.

I could show you a tonne of videos of Muslims and Buddhists recruiting people in the same way militant Christians do, by brainwashing their children, bullying gay people, and fighting against teaching evolution at their schools. They're not as big a contingent as other groups fighting against such things, obviously, but other than that they're indstinguishable from militant Christians.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 9:45:12 AM
At 1/4/2014 8:47:42 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

but there's really only one branch of religion in the US that keeps fighting against teaching science, fighting against gay marriage, and indoctrinating children.

I could show you a tonne of videos of Muslims and Buddhists recruiting people in the same way militant Christians do, by brainwashing their children, bullying gay people, and fighting against teaching evolution at their schools. They're not as big a contingent as other groups fighting against such things, obviously, but other than that they're indstinguishable from militant Christians.

Pay attention to the key word in my statement, and compare it to the phrase in your statement. You're ignoring the rest of my post where I acknowledged the other religions.

Muslims only account for 0.6% of Americans. As I said, if I could change them all into atheists, it really wouldn't make a difference. Same for Buddhists.

It sounds to me like you aren't actually interested in the answer to your question, you're just looking to attack atheists.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 9:51:32 AM
At 1/4/2014 9:45:12 AM, RhysJaxson wrote:

Pay attention to the key word in my statement, and compare it to the phrase in your statement. You're ignoring the rest of my post where I acknowledged the other religions.

Muslims only account for 0.6% of Americans. As I said, if I could change them all into atheists, it really wouldn't make a difference. Same for Buddhists.

It sounds to me like you aren't actually interested in the answer to your question, you're just looking to attack atheists.

Okay sorry I understand that Christian fundamentalism is a big problem in the United States.

You should know however that there are many cases in Europe and America of Muslims trying to get Shariah Courts recognized in the legal system. In Missouri, Muslims set up Shariah law Courts for years before having them disbanded by the federal government. Why not focus on attacking other religions than Christianity in light of this?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 9:54:48 AM
At 1/4/2014 9:51:32 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/4/2014 9:45:12 AM, RhysJaxson wrote:

Okay sorry I understand that Christian fundamentalism is a big problem in the United States.

You should know however that there are many cases in Europe and America of Muslims trying to get Shariah Courts recognized in the legal system. In Missouri, Muslims set up Shariah law Courts for years before having them disbanded by the federal government. Why not focus on attacking other religions than Christianity in light of this?

I'm not an atheist, but I'm pretty sure the idea is akin to this: if a snake and two lizards crawl out of a basket, which do you deal with first? To militant atheists in the US, that snake is Christianity.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:05:46 AM

Oh, and since you seem to be against ignorance, let me correct a couple things for you.

1 - Buddhists aren't nearly as against evolution as other religions. They accept it more than any other religious group.

2 - Buddhists aren't nearly as against gay marriage as other religions, especially in the west. It is only the more conservative Buddhists in Asia that take issue with it, and even then they don't tend to be as against it as Christians or Muslims. Their issue with it is more cultural than religious.

3 - Please show me a tonne of videos of Buddhists bullying gays.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:06:59 AM

I do see atheists attacking Islam sometimes, but it seems more often to be Christianity. As far as Buddhism goes, I've never heard an atheist down talk Buddhism. I guess it's because they're not immune to the weird obsession westerners have with eastern religions...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:09:35 AM
At 1/4/2014 9:51:32 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

I already told you why.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:12:24 AM
At 1/4/2014 10:06:59 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I do see atheists attacking Islam sometimes, but it seems more often to be Christianity. As far as Buddhism goes, I've never heard an atheist down talk Buddhism. I guess it's because they're not immune to the weird obsession westerners have with eastern religions...

Buddhism is in a completely different class. How often do you find Buddhists trying to force Intelligent Design into schools, or campaigning against gay marriage?

It's really no more than a philosophy of self-improvement, so what issue should I really have with it?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:14:47 AM
At 1/4/2014 10:12:24 AM, RhysJaxson wrote:
At 1/4/2014 10:06:59 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Buddhism is in a completely different class. How often do you find Buddhists trying to force Intelligent Design into schools, or campaigning against gay marriage?

It's really no more than a philosophy of self-improvement, so what issue should I really have with it?

Oh. I meant more like attacking the religion itself, as in, making fun of doctrines and being scornful.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:28:27 AM
At 1/4/2014 10:14:47 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
Oh. I meant more like attacking the religion itself, as in, making fun of doctrines and being scornful.

Ah. Well as far as doctrines go, there's little to make fun of. Rebirth and karma are silly concepts, but not very harmful. I don't like parents indoctrinating children with those concepts, but as was mentioned above, you deal with the snake before the lizard.

The rest of it though? The four immeasurables and the eightfold path? I find little to make fun of.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 11:23:50 AM

Because Christianity is the biggest religion, so it is the easiest to attack; duh!
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:59:23 PM

Christianity is the biggest one. It's also the one I understand... (The most) because I was raised in it. I don't "ATTACK!" It, rather I'm able to debate it.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 11:00:38 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:43:28 AM, eNo wrote:

Because in this Christian dominated society most atheists are either former Christians, raised in Christians families, or merely a product of a predominately Christian society. You tend to argue the most with the people you are closest too. This is a bad analogy but.... You will tend to argue more with your own family, as opposed to say.... my family.

Hmmm.... Interesting analogy? I'm an atheist/eX Christian...
Zogen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 3:20:25 PM
English-speaking atheists predominantly oppose the predominant English religion. Simples.
Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand (Karl Marx).
Caploxion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 1:26:00 AM

PLENTY of people 'attack' Islam. As for Buddhism, it doesn't call for any stonings or other, equally barbaric nonsense. In fact, its approach to life is highly philosophical, as opposed to a lot of the primitive thinking in both the Quran and the Bible (although, that's not to say that the books were entirely dearth in philosophical insight).
"That's what people do. They breed, and then their children breed, and then their children do it, and their children do it. But, have you ever asked why we do it?" - Jim 'Metamorphhh' Crawford

"There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but to be overcome; to be got over." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"It's like building a broken building, repairing it and then saying that now I have value in doing so...but it didn't need to be broken in the first place." -Gary 'Inmendham' Mosher
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 1:10:46 PM
Militant Christianity is not a "big" problem in the United States. Considering that 70% or so of the US Population identifies as Christian, and considering how few Christian terrorists there actually are in this country, it's not a problem at all.
On the other hand, a group that makes up a tiny percentage of our population is responsible for a shocking large amount of terrorist attacks these days. If the number of Muslim terrorists even equals the number of Christian terrorists, then my argument has been proven.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 2:28:36 PM
I quite simply despise you all nonetheless, it would be absurd to simply pick one religion to hate.
Turn around, go back.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 2:52:12 PM
Well, I'm not an atheist but even I admit to being anti-christian on some issues. I don't agree with some of the views supported in the Christian New Testament for example. But I am pro-christian when it comes to many of the beliefs promoted by Jesus Christ, including the golden rule.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 2:52:46 PM
We do. Just not very often because in the countries most of us English speakers live in, Christianity is the dominant religion.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:54:25 PM
Buddhism is very different from other religions. Unlike other faiths, Buddhism belief is very flexible, allowing people to have more progressive social beliefs, and unlike Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and especially Christianity, is the lack of violence and extremism. When was the last time you heard about a Buddhist doing a bombing? When was the last time a Buddhist extremist gained political power and killed a bunch of people?

And it's not like Buddhists don't have something to lash out against. They are misunderstood, isolated, killed and discriminated in China, India and many other countries. Nonetheless, the worst thing that Buddhists ever did was large scale tax evasion in China back when they had dynasties.

People still attack Buddhism, but it is not as important. Islamic extremism is always at the front of our minds because of the media. We have Christianity shoved in our faces because most atheists not in communist countries are in mostly Christian nations where Christians have power (at least in the US). Israel is a big issue that brings orthodox Judaism to the table as a powerful force for violence in the middle east.

The fact of the matter is, Buddhists are more reasonable, and they are a non-extremist population. Atheists really don't care about them, and often times notable atheists have good relationships with Buddhists and Buddhist leaders.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
BChart2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 5:28:54 PM
Pretty sure most Buddhists are Atheists...
BChart2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 5:31:27 PM
Also, I suppose we speak out against Christianity because they make up a third of the Earth's population, and their Bible blatantly says we deserve to be tortured for all of eternity because of our beliefs.

You might as well identify for what you truly are. Anti-Atheists.