Jump to topic:

More Americans Have No Religious Preference

Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 3:18:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
According to latest figures America is less religious then it has ever been with the figure rising, do you believe this will make American society better or worse? Or do you believe that any choice of religion is better then none?

http://sociology.berkeley.edu...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 4:58:02 PM
At 1/5/2014 3:18:51 PM, Darran wrote:
According to latest figures America is less religious then it has ever been with the figure rising, do you believe this will make American society better or worse? Or do you believe that any choice of religion is better then none?

Well, more Atheist people are surfacing, and this is a bad thing for society. Even though I am an Atheist, the Bible gives you guidelines to live by in society. Without guidelines, society goes to hell.

The choice of no religion as a whole world is better, as it sets up no war.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2014 6:02:13 PM
At 1/5/2014 4:58:02 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Well, more Atheist people are surfacing, and this is a bad thing for society. Even though I am an Atheist, the Bible gives you guidelines to live by in society. Without guidelines, society goes to hell.

So if God was disproved tomorrow religious people would start being immoral? This seems to suggest that religious people are only moral because they're told to be rather then wanting to be.

What about moral atheists are they now more moral then religious people? I very much doubt society would destroy itself if religion faded.
Zogen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 12:14:54 PM

Learning religion and learning morality are two very different things. People may justify or support their morals with religion, but the truth is morality is learnt through observation and tutoring by teachers and parents, not by teaching religious dogma. I for one was raised entirely without the help of religion, and I have never done anything to the detriment of society. Indeed, many of the people I know were raised with similar secularism, and I cannot name a single incident of damage to society from any of them.
Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand (Karl Marx).
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 12:20:22 PM

I would say that most humans aren't strong headed enough to have a reason to continue on if there is no God. Thus, more religion is probably a good thing until the species as a whole can accept that death may very well be the end.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 3:15:15 AM
I think America will end up like post-christian Europe now it's been taken over by Islam:suicide rates will shoot up and people will get a lot iller a lot more quickly.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 4:11:23 AM
At 1/7/2014 3:15:15 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I think America will end up like post-christian Europe now it's been taken over by Islam:suicide rates will shoot up and people will get a lot iller a lot more quickly.

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

************************************hahahahahahahahahahahahahah*****************************
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 6:28:43 AM

Islam has become more of a threat and one that should be taken seriously, but I doubt that America will end up like the dark ages.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:16:15 AM

Religion was created by God to teach men how to build things so that He can use these things as analogies to help us saints understand our invisible created existence as wavelengths of energy spoken into existence within the mind of our Creator.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:24:24 AM
At 1/7/2014 4:11:23 AM, bulproof wrote:

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

************************************hahahahahahahahahahahahahah*****************************

Since prayer was banned in public schools in the UK

- violent crime has increased by 80%
-gun crime has increased by 25%
-shootings are up 10%
-suicides are up 60%
-assaults are up by 25%
-burgalry is up by 60%
-rape is up 50%
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:33:45 AM
At 1/7/2014 10:24:24 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

-shootings are up 10%
-suicides are up 60%
-assaults are up by 25%
-burgalry is up by 60%
-rape is up 50%

This is exactly how God planned it to happen. He knows what He's doing so don't worry about His plan.
Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 11:33:55 AM

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

-shootings are up 10%
-suicides are up 60%
-assaults are up by 25%
-burgalry is up by 60%
-rape is up 50%

Do you have any evidence of these statics relating to public prayer ban? Because according tho the latest figures crime in the UK is down by 10%.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 12:01:55 PM

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

-shootings are up 10%
-suicides are up 60%
-assaults are up by 25%
-burgalry is up by 60%
-rape is up 50%

Asside from the fallacy that correlation implies causation, I would point out one key fact.

School prayer hasn't actually been banned in the UK.

So do you just randomly make stuff up, or is there some right-wing-religious-nut-job-troll.com website that has all this stuff posted but I don't have access to?
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 1:51:31 PM

1. It's just religion, not limited to the bible.

2. If you're an atheist, then to you hell doesn't exist.

3. The Old Testament is definitely bad. No questions their.

In the Ten Commandments the bible mentions nothing on r*pe, slavery, child abuse, genocide, etc... It actually supports slavery. It also supports denying gays *fundamental rights* such as marriage.

If you took the bible word for word, you would have to give up all your possessions to the poor. You would also have to take out an eye if you looked at a woman with lust.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 2:03:32 PM

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

-shootings are up 10%
-suicides are up 60%
-assaults are up by 25%
-burgalry is up by 60%
-rape is up 50%

Just goes to show religious people are crazy. Of course, nothing is shown if you don't provide a source.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 2:05:19 PM
At 1/7/2014 12:01:55 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

hahahahahahahahaha

No wait I meant

-shootings are up 10%
-suicides are up 60%
-assaults are up by 25%
-burgalry is up by 60%
-rape is up 50%

Asside from the fallacy that correlation implies causation, I would point out one key fact.

School prayer hasn't actually been banned in the UK.

So do you just randomly make stuff up, or is there some right-wing-religious-nut-job-troll.com website that has all this stuff posted but I don't have access to?

I think it may be Wikipedia, or maybe his god is giving him future intelligence that is unknown to us 0_o
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 2:11:29 PM
It's probably completely neutral to society. Over 70% of Americans still identify as Christian, and there isn't a causal link between religion and crime. Different countries have different rates for both. Since the Bible sets guidelines for individuals and not society, it won't really impact society. Even there, I question how much the Bible establishes guidelines. Unless you stone practically everyone, then your morality does not come from the Bible. Morals and ethics, though they can be derived from a book, are internal.
Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 10:23:21 AM
At 1/7/2014 2:11:29 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
It's probably completely neutral to society. Over 70% of Americans still identify as Christian, and there isn't a causal link between religion and crime. Different countries have different rates for both. Since the Bible sets guidelines for individuals and not society, it won't really impact society. Even there, I question how much the Bible establishes guidelines. Unless you stone practically everyone, then your morality does not come from the Bible. Morals and ethics, though they can be derived from a book, are internal.

I think some moral philosophy must of come from the spreading of the bible, but that book of course comes from man anyway, but I think the spread most likely helped people during uneducated times.
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 11:50:26 AM

Religion aka religio (latin) is a broad ambiguous label. It is nothing more than a belief about the cosmos and human nature.

In reality it is no different than political as it pertains to bureaucracy. Both claim to be moral authorities. Religion provides a bases or benchmark by which a person can quickly communicate by which "moral standard" they live by. The title of their religion narrows this definition of understanding.

While I recognize America is less religious from a practical point of view, the number of American's who believe their is a God has not moved much. After all - atheism is also just another belief about the cosmos and human nature. At the end of the day, it is competing with other religions. I know, they say they are not a religion... Whatever, they still compete for followers. Same game, different player