Jump to topic:

Your Favorite Fictional Gods

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 11:14:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
When I say fictional gods I do not mean gods that any specific religion believes to be true but your religion thinks is false. I mean gods created in works of fiction for entertainment purposes.

My personal favorite is Mask from the Forgotten Realms fantasy world. There's just something about how he is portrayed in the books that intrigues me. Especially the tales of Erevis Cale. I guess it's because my personality is a lot like his.

http://en.wikipedia.org...(Forgotten_Realms)
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 11:47:24 AM
Isis from Egyptian mythology was always one of my favorites. Also, I'm not sure if this counts as a god as they're more just spirits, but I suppose I'll include the Fayth from FF X. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com...
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:02:13 PM
At 1/13/2010 12:44:46 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
They're not fictional brittwaller and neither am I

Why were you so mean to Sam?
Don't I take care of them all?
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:08:26 PM
At 1/13/2010 1:02:13 PM, brittwaller wrote:

The Hollywood people lied; that never happened. It's written in my book that JRTolkien stole from myself and my uncle.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:14:36 PM
At 1/13/2010 1:08:26 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

The Hollywood people lied; that never happened. It's written in my book that JRTolkien stole from myself and my uncle.

I'd sue.
Don't I take care of them all?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:30:31 PM
Flying spaghetti monster. Hands down. Every friday a religious holiday? Hell yeah. That and the fact that dressing up like a pirate is always epic win.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:31:51 PM
At 1/13/2010 1:14:36 PM, brittwaller wrote:
At 1/13/2010 1:08:26 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:

I'd sue.

I would but the legal system is controlled by the white man. Believe it or not frodobaggins was a brother.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 4:14:05 AM
Cyric from the forgotten realms. (I don't acknowledge kelvemor or whatever his name is as becoming God of the dead).

Lolth is pretty cool as well.

Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep are also all quite interesting deities.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:23:12 AM
Kratos. When I see another god with dual whip-blades, I'll consider them.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 4:36:28 PM
At 1/14/2010 4:14:05 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Not really deities so much as beings of incomprehension.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 11:31:15 PM
At 1/14/2010 4:36:28 PM, Puck wrote:

They are worshipped and they have vast powers.

It's not like I threw in the non-sentient Azathoth, though of course he is still a God.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 12:32:21 AM
At 1/14/2010 11:31:15 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's not like I threw in the non-sentient Azathoth, though of course he is still a God.

Eh still not gods how we mean in any traditional sense. They are aliens, of great power, whom while cults arise around them, still do not properly constitute as being 'god'.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:05:33 AM
At 1/15/2010 12:32:21 AM, Puck wrote:

Eh still not gods how we mean in any traditional sense. They are aliens, of great power, whom while cults arise around them, still do not properly constitute as being 'god'.

Isn't that the definition of a God?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 2:51:59 AM

I see where your confusion arisis from, you are using the term God, perhaps hoping to denote something analogous to a judeao-Christian God. Everyone else is talking about Gods.

Yog-Sothoth for instance is specifically referenced as AN outer God. One of many.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 4:14:57 AM
At 1/15/2010 2:51:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I see where your confusion arisis from, you are using the term God, perhaps hoping to denote something analogous to a judeao-Christian God. Everyone else is talking about Gods.

Yog-Sothoth for instance is specifically referenced as AN outer God. One of many.

No confusion, I am aware of what the concept god entails. An alien entity, even if worshiped *as* a god, does not by necessity make it one. :)
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 11:06:49 AM
I'm a big fan of Apsu, Tiamat and the other band of merry characters from ancient Babylonian Mythology

Then there's Dionysus, the god of wine.

I mean, this guy's portfolio is alcohol. Furthermore, this virgin-born demi-god has a thing for red wine and holy bread. Hm.

He also causes a mother to behead her son, the king, in Euripidies' The Bacchae. Bad to the bone.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 11:25:46 AM
Tash from the Chronicles of Narnia. He only shows up in one book but he scares the heck out of everyone, and is really creepy.

I tend to think of gods as monsters in literary fiction, so the more alien and horrifying the better. Obviously I'm a fan of Cthulhu as well.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 2:12:31 PM
Odin, norse mythology. . . . after all who doesn't want to lose an eye in their search for infinite wisdom. . . . .
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 6:59:24 PM
At 1/17/2010 11:25:46 AM, Lexicaholic wrote:
Tash from the Chronicles of Narnia. He only shows up in one book but he scares the heck out of everyone, and is really creepy.

Yeah I remember that guy although I couldn't tell you which book he's in. There's a passage in it that kind of stayed with me though, about how if someone does a good deed in Tash's name then they are really doing it for Aslan and if they do a bad thing in Aslan's name... you get the picture. Don't really know why my young mind thought that this was profound.

Yahweh for the win, you've got to respect the smitings he gave out, although those virgin raping Greek dudes were pretty cool too.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 9:03:13 PM
At 1/17/2010 6:59:24 PM, feverish wrote:
At 1/17/2010 11:25:46 AM, Lexicaholic wrote:

Yeah I remember that guy although I couldn't tell you which book he's in. There's a passage in it that kind of stayed with me though, about how if someone does a good deed in Tash's name then they are really doing it for Aslan and if they do a bad thing in Aslan's name... you get the picture. Don't really know why my young mind thought that this was profound.

Yeah, I found that passage fairly memorable as well, which was part of what made him my pick. It was the very last book, The Last Battle.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.