Jump to topic:

Voted top worst Bible passages?

Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 4:35:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants.." (1 Samuel 15:3)

"You shall not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:18)

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." (Psalm 137:9)

"When the men would not listen to his host, the husband seized his concubine and thrust her outside to them. They had relations with her and abused her all night until the following dawn, when they let her go. Then at daybreak the woman came and collapsed at the entrance of the house in which her husband was a guest, where she lay until the morning. When her husband rose that day and opened the door of the house to start out again on his journey, there lay the woman, his concubine, at the entrance of the house with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, 'Come, let us go'; but there was no answer. So the man placed her on an donkey and started out again for home." (Judges 19:25-28)

"And the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity." (Romans 1:27)

"Jephthah made a vow to the Lord. 'If you deliver the Ammonites into my power,' he said, 'whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites shall belong to the Lord. I shall offer him up as a holocaust.' ... When Jephthah returned to his house in Mizpah, it was his daughter who came forth, playing the tambourines and dancing. She was an only child: he had neither son nor daughter besides her. When he saw her, he rent his garments and said, 'Alas, daughter, you have struck me down and brought calamity upon me. For I have made a vow to the Lord and I cannot retract'." (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

"Then God said: 'Take your son Isaac, your only one, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. There you shall offer him up as a holocaust on a height that I will point out to you'."(Genesis 22:2)

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good
and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

What are your thoughts?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:35:47 AM
At 1/9/2014 5:22:40 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
What's wrong with those verses ?!
If you need to ask then you can't afford it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 7:40:39 AM
Abrahamic satanic verses. Each Abrahamic faith has them as their marks of spiritual inferiority. The Bible can only be used as reference for how God has embedded Goodness even in the phony holy books commanding the most vile of man's inhumanity to man.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 7:44:06 AM
At 1/9/2014 7:40:39 AM, biomystic wrote:
Abrahamic satanic verses. Each Abrahamic faith has them as their marks of spiritual inferiority. The Bible can only be used as reference for how God has embedded Goodness even in the phony holy books commanding the most vile of man's inhumanity to man.
And you get that straight from the horses arse, pilgrims.
Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 9:33:18 AM

God allowed Satanic verses in his book? I find that very doubtful.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 9:35:48 AM

NO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 11:50:28 AM
The imprecatory psalms are pretty bad (in that they express morally reprehensible attitudes)

"The human qualities of the raw materials show through. Naivety, error, contradiction, even (as in the cursing Psalms) wickedness are not removed."

"[W]e must not either try to explain"[these cursing texts]"away or to yield for one moment to the idea that, because it comes in the Bible, all this vindictive hatred must somehow be good and pious."

- C.S. Lewis

At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:09:19 PM
These can only be man inspired verses. It is inconceivable that a perfect person being could have inspired some of these things....
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:26:54 PM
At 1/9/2014 12:09:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
These can only be man inspired verses. It is inconceivable that a perfect person being inspired some of these things....

It's inconceivable that a perfect person could've inspired the attitudes or condoned the actions depicted in some of these passages; it's not all inconceivable that a perfect person would have these viewpoints included in a divinely inspired collection of texts.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:30:16 PM
At 1/9/2014 12:26:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
These can only be man inspired verses. It is inconceivable that a perfect person being inspired some of these things....

It's inconceivable that a perfect person could've inspired the attitudes or condoned the actions depicted in some of these passages; it's not all inconceivable that a perfect person would have these viewpoints included in a divinely inspired collection of texts.

Then I guess it is up to the reader, based on their own subjective personal compass, what passages to accept as divinely inspired and not, correct?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:31:37 PM
Maybe believers in an evil God would say that all the good things are not inspired by God, but all the horrible things listed in this thread are.

What are you standard for inspired/ non-inspired verses?
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 5:23:23 PM

better question: what is wrong with you?
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:04:30 PM
At 1/9/2014 9:33:18 AM, Darran wrote:

God allowed Satanic verses in his book? I find that very doubtful.

There's quite a bit more. Read Ezekiel Chapter 9 where again that Fraud of Israel is commanding Israelites to kill women and children, same as ordered for Joshua's genocide of Canaanites. Whoever thinks the Bible is without spiritual error is highly mistaken.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:17:24 PM
Yeah. The Bible can be a bad book too.

I take the position that much of the Bible ( not all of it ) is divinely inspired. That is to say God influenced many of the stories that can be found in its pages. However, the Bible is not infallible! There's a lot of misinformation, a lot of bad advice in the Bible.

This is a good approach to take with virtually all of the world's Holy Books whom people claim has a connection to the divine.

If they have any genuine connection to God, it's more appropriate to say that they are divinely inspired rather than inerrant, infallible messages about God's will for mankind.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:18:48 PM
At 1/9/2014 12:30:16 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 1/9/2014 12:26:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Then I guess it is up to the reader, based on their own subjective personal compass, what passages to accept as divinely inspired and not, correct?

No. Christians use (or are supposed to use) Jesus as the "norming norm" - that is, the standard against which all other standards are judged and it also effect show we interpret scripture. We're supposed to used a Christocentric hermenuetic.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:19:26 PM
At 1/9/2014 6:17:24 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

I take the position that much of the Bible ( not all of it ) is divinely inspired. That is to say God influenced many of the stories that can be found in its pages. However, the Bible is not infallible! There's a lot of misinformation, a lot of bad advice in the Bible.

This is a good approach to take with virtually all of the world's Holy Books whom people claim has a connection to the divine.

If they have any genuine connection to God, it's more appropriate to say that they are divinely inspired rather than inerrant, infallible messages about God's will for mankind.

Agreed.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:21:15 PM

has should be replaced with have.
Darran
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:23:28 PM

Whats right with them?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 6:32:42 PM
At 1/9/2014 12:31:37 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Maybe believers in an evil God would say that all the good things are not inspired by God, but all the horrible things listed in this thread are.

What are you standard for inspired/ non-inspired verses?

I think I already answered that, but I think of it this way. Imagine an anti-slavery abolitionist compiles a book that has both anti and pro slavery texts in it. I wouldn't imagine for a second that they actually condone slavery by their inclusion of the pro slavery texts in the book, but I would think that they included these text for a purpose - to show, perhaps, how wrong those pro slavery people were in their own words. To see how they thought and how they justified their evil position, etc. I imagine they'd want us to learn from reading these pro slavery texts, but not learn that it is ok to enslave people. That's how I view a lot of the bible's content.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 8:50:37 PM

How can a book be "divinely inspired"? It's just a book. With many authors....and even more editors. Who then is "divinely inspired"? We have no idea who the authors really were and so guess work is not really "divinely inspired" is it?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 9:08:26 AM
At 1/9/2014 6:23:28 PM, Darran wrote:

Whats right with them?

They e in the bible is what's right with them. or you don't like it if the creator decrees something you don't understand ?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 9:10:43 AM
At 1/9/2014 5:23:23 PM, muslimnomore wrote:

I try to understand why he doesn't like the verses, I know you understand him better cause you're very emotional too!!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 9:14:21 AM
At 1/9/2014 4:35:07 AM, Darran wrote:
"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants.." (1 Samuel 15:3)

"You shall not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:18)

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." (Psalm 137:9)

"When the men would not listen to his host, the husband seized his concubine and thrust her outside to them. They had relations with her and abused her all night until the following dawn, when they let her go. Then at daybreak the woman came and collapsed at the entrance of the house in which her husband was a guest, where she lay until the morning. When her husband rose that day and opened the door of the house to start out again on his journey, there lay the woman, his concubine, at the entrance of the house with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, 'Come, let us go'; but there was no answer. So the man placed her on an donkey and started out again for home." (Judges 19:25-28)

"And the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity." (Romans 1:27)

"Jephthah made a vow to the Lord. 'If you deliver the Ammonites into my power,' he said, 'whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites shall belong to the Lord. I shall offer him up as a holocaust.' ... When Jephthah returned to his house in Mizpah, it was his daughter who came forth, playing the tambourines and dancing. She was an only child: he had neither son nor daughter besides her. When he saw her, he rent his garments and said, 'Alas, daughter, you have struck me down and brought calamity upon me. For I have made a vow to the Lord and I cannot retract'." (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

"Then God said: 'Take your son Isaac, your only one, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. There you shall offer him up as a holocaust on a height that I will point out to you'."(Genesis 22:2)

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good
and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

What are your thoughts?

Unbelieving Christians don't understand God's prophecies so they resort to scriptures like these to talk about. Who cares what the flesh does during this age when we saints know that ALL flesh will be destroyed by the end of this age.

I could care less if men beat their women or governments use militaries to attack other countries with, or that men or women have sex with each other. Their bodies are all going to die because of their disobedience to our Creator's commandments.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 9:20:40 AM
At 1/10/2014 9:10:43 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

I try to understand why he doesn't like the verses, I know you understand him better cause you're very emotional too!!

How about because they are disgusting and prove that the men who wrote them were misogynistic goat shaggers.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 9:26:53 AM
At 1/10/2014 9:20:40 AM, bulproof wrote:

How about because they are disgusting and prove that the men who wrote them were misogynistic goat shaggers.

Don't you realize you are judging God and His work with this last statement of yours?

God's commandment, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor". What does this commandment meant to you?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:07:10 AM
At 1/10/2014 9:26:53 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/10/2014 9:20:40 AM, bulproof wrote:

Don't you realize you are judging God and His work with this last statement of yours?

God's commandment, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor". What does this commandment meant to you?
No Mr stupid. I don't judge either your god or any of the millions of gods that man has created in the last 200k yrs.

I do however judge the bronze age goat shaggers who have nothing to contribute to the 21st century. Just like you BOG, your contribution to humanity is absolutely non-existent.

Your god has as much to contribute as Zeus.