Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Buddhist/Confucian Influence on Christianity

Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 9:14:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was in a minor comments section argument with the DDO user Sagey, when he made the claim that Jesus's teachings were very much influenced by Buddhism and Confucianism. When I said that Chinese influence was virtually non-existent in Roman Judea, he has this to say:

Buddhists and Confucian followers were existent in Judea prior to the birth of Jesus.
A high Buddhist monk at the top if India, sent teachers/missionaries into these regions 200 years before Jesus lived.
There are artifacts found in the region that demonstrated the success of their missions.
There are also Chinese artifacts evident from before Jesus, so Chinese trade of spices and Silk around 200BC.
Thus both Buddhism, Taoist and Confucian philosophies were common in these regions, centuries before the birth of Jesus. So you are entirely wrong and naive on the history of the region.
Archaeology and Anthropology demonstrates you are Wrong.
Jesus had easy access to Buddhist and Confucian Philosophy.
Which puts it as extremely likely that these are the source of much of his teachings since they are in concept, identical.
As you can see by the History of Trade, Chinese traders went all the way through Judea to Egypt, so the influence of their Philosophies spread through Western Europe and the Middle East.
Jesus had overwhelmingly easy access and so did the Gospel writers, who likely interpolated Buddhist philosophies into the sayings of Jesus, 40 years after his death.


I'm not really sure what to think of this... he did back this up with sources that seemed decent, but I still don't quite believe it: this is the first time I've ever heard of any sort of major Chinese influence in any part of the Roman Empire, and I have read a lot about Roman history.

I see some similarities between Buddhism and Christianity but those sort of similarities are there between many religions...

Thoughts? Comments?
SemperVI
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 9:25:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/9/2014 9:14:41 PM, Romanii wrote:
I was in a minor comments section argument with the DDO user Sagey, when he made the claim that Jesus's teachings were very much influenced by Buddhism and Confucianism. When I said that Chinese influence was virtually non-existent in Roman Judea, he has this to say:

Buddhists and Confucian followers were existent in Judea prior to the birth of Jesus.
A high Buddhist monk at the top if India, sent teachers/missionaries into these regions 200 years before Jesus lived.
There are artifacts found in the region that demonstrated the success of their missions.
There are also Chinese artifacts evident from before Jesus, so Chinese trade of spices and Silk around 200BC.
Thus both Buddhism, Taoist and Confucian philosophies were common in these regions, centuries before the birth of Jesus. So you are entirely wrong and naive on the history of the region.
Archaeology and Anthropology demonstrates you are Wrong.
Jesus had easy access to Buddhist and Confucian Philosophy.
Which puts it as extremely likely that these are the source of much of his teachings since they are in concept, identical.
As you can see by the History of Trade, Chinese traders went all the way through Judea to Egypt, so the influence of their Philosophies spread through Western Europe and the Middle East.
Jesus had overwhelmingly easy access and so did the Gospel writers, who likely interpolated Buddhist philosophies into the sayings of Jesus, 40 years after his death.


I'm not really sure what to think of this... he did back this up with sources that seemed decent, but I still don't quite believe it: this is the first time I've ever heard of any sort of major Chinese influence in any part of the Roman Empire, and I have read a lot about Roman history.

I see some similarities between Buddhism and Christianity but those sort of similarities are there between many religions...

Thoughts? Comments?

There is also a school of thought outside of Christian mainstream to consider. There are people in India, religious gurus and such who are addament Jesus spent a lot of time in India as a student for years before returning to Israel. There is in fact evidence that supports this claim. I will leave it at that...

I am confident that yes Jesus was influenced by buddhaism and this influence probably came directly from the lands of the orgins of buddhism
biomystic
Posts: 606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 8:00:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ever since Christianity began other people have been trying to capture Jesus Christ's charisma. The Buddhist claim is phony as is the Hindu one, those so-called "evidence" of Jews in India being another phony ruse with the people involved refusing to let science test dna of the people supposed descended from these ancient Jews and Jesus.

I am Jewish and Christian and really get upset with religion stealers who don't know what they are talking about. This is what happens when Gentiles get hold of Jewish theology and make up all sorts of ideas about it based on incomprehension of the Jewish theological lineage. Which is actually understandable as Jewish religious authorities themselves have quite dropped the spiritual ball on several important occasions, losing the Celestial Torah meaning for example being a big one. Still Salvation is of us Jews for good reason--we are responsible for the Celestial Torah's spiritual information being kept pure from outside pollution--our "fence around the Torah" doctrine which is in place exactly to stop such religion stealing as Hindus have been at it since Vivicanasta in the late 1800's and Parabonanza Yogi Granola and Theosophists were peddling Vedic/Christ consciousness since then..
Sagey
Posts: 51
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 6:39:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 8:00:24 AM, biomystic wrote:
Ever since Christianity began other people have been trying to capture Jesus Christ's charisma. The Buddhist claim is phony as is the Hindu one, those so-called "evidence" of Jews in India being another phony ruse with the people involved refusing to let science test dna of the people supposed descended from these ancient Jews and Jesus.

I am Jewish and Christian and really get upset with religion stealers who don't know what they are talking about. This is what happens when Gentiles get hold of Jewish theology and make up all sorts of ideas about it based on incomprehension of the Jewish theological lineage. Which is actually understandable as Jewish religious authorities themselves have quite dropped the spiritual ball on several important occasions, losing the Celestial Torah meaning for example being a big one. Still Salvation is of us Jews for good reason--we are responsible for the Celestial Torah's spiritual information being kept pure from outside pollution--our "fence around the Torah" doctrine which is in place exactly to stop such religion stealing as Hindus have been at it since Vivicanasta in the late 1800's and Parabonanza Yogi Granola and Theosophists were peddling Vedic/Christ consciousness since then..

Totally Wrong: Since Buddhism has similar teachings to those of Jesus for 500 years before Jesus was born, and so did Confucius.
These were already established religions that at the time of Jesus, had already many thousands of followers, Buddhism had already spread through Tibet and into China, yet Christianity had only just begun.
Confucius had already most of China following him, so they had no need to try and steal any of Jesus's wisdom as they always had it, and a larger following.

Jesus was carried along by the war like nature of Catholic conquests.
Had Christianity been as peaceful as Buddhism, it would have struggled to gain the numbers it had.
It was the doctrine of Fear that spread Christianity, not good deeds and benevolence.
Buddhism had always been a more benevolent religion than Christianity.
It does not spread by fear, as Christianity does.

The size of Christianity is due to it's use of Fear.
Not it's benevolence and love.
Judaism used the same doctrine of fear to win over converts.

Confucianism and Buddhism do not, they are more peaceful religions.
Jesus tried to make Judaism as peaceful as Buddhism, but failed.
Revelations is proof of this, because it is full of asserting that non-believers will be burnt and tortured, so it proves that Christianity is spread by Fear, not Love.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 9:37:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:39:12 AM, Sagey wrote:
At 1/10/2014 8:00:24 AM, biomystic wrote:
Ever since Christianity began other people have been trying to capture Jesus Christ's charisma. The Buddhist claim is phony as is the Hindu one, those so-called "evidence" of Jews in India being another phony ruse with the people involved refusing to let science test dna of the people supposed descended from these ancient Jews and Jesus.

I am Jewish and Christian and really get upset with religion stealers who don't know what they are talking about. This is what happens when Gentiles get hold of Jewish theology and make up all sorts of ideas about it based on incomprehension of the Jewish theological lineage. Which is actually understandable as Jewish religious authorities themselves have quite dropped the spiritual ball on several important occasions, losing the Celestial Torah meaning for example being a big one. Still Salvation is of us Jews for good reason--we are responsible for the Celestial Torah's spiritual information being kept pure from outside pollution--our "fence around the Torah" doctrine which is in place exactly to stop such religion stealing as Hindus have been at it since Vivicanasta in the late 1800's and Parabonanza Yogi Granola and Theosophists were peddling Vedic/Christ consciousness since then..

Totally Wrong: Since Buddhism has similar teachings to those of Jesus for 500 years before Jesus was born, and so did Confucius.
These were already established religions that at the time of Jesus, had already many thousands of followers, Buddhism had already spread through Tibet and into China, yet Christianity had only just begun.
Confucius had already most of China following him, so they had no need to try and steal any of Jesus's wisdom as they always had it, and a larger following.

Jesus was carried along by the war like nature of Catholic conquests.
Had Christianity been as peaceful as Buddhism, it would have struggled to gain the numbers it had.
It was the doctrine of Fear that spread Christianity, not good deeds and benevolence.
Buddhism had always been a more benevolent religion than Christianity.
It does not spread by fear, as Christianity does.

The size of Christianity is due to it's use of Fear.
Not it's benevolence and love.
Judaism used the same doctrine of fear to win over converts.

Confucianism and Buddhism do not, they are more peaceful religions.
Jesus tried to make Judaism as peaceful as Buddhism, but failed.
Revelations is proof of this, because it is full of asserting that non-believers will be burnt and tortured, so it proves that Christianity is spread by Fear, not Love.
Christianity spread into Asia around the same time it spread into Europe. Unlike Europe, it never became any sort of law until later European colonization in South East Asia. So Christianity made a peaceful entrance into Asia. It was mostly rejected, however there's pockets of areas throughout Asia where Christian communities developed. Today of course Christianity is thriving in a number of nations in Asia.

As far as Buddhist influence on NME Christianity, highly unlikely. Just speculation. That isn't to say that Buddhism has not influenced Christians within, say, the Far East since Buddhism is a common religion throughout that region.

As far as the message of the Bible/Jesus using fear to win a following is silly. The same message of the Gospel that spread into Europe also spread into Asia, and eventually the rest of the world. As far as peaceful, Buddhist monks in Asia certainly don't always fit that bill. There are also a number of Buddhist scam artists.

The Buddhist promo might be more alluring to many westerners (no judgment, potential removal of suffering), but appearing peaceful does not make it's teaching ultimate truth. Just more alluring.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 3:39:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If Jesus had gone to India and been influenced there he would have said so as the whole of his teaching is about spiritual truth. There is no Buddhist ideology in Jesus' teachings as his teachings all refer back to God the Father and a spiritual worldview while Buddhism tries its best to destroy any such references with mind numbing meaningless mantras meant to hypnotize the mind into a specific mentality that gives the illusion of avoiding psychic pain. Christianity councils the opposite: to take the world's pain on directly and stop it at one's self by self-sacrifice of ego in service to others. Buddhism directs sacrifice of ego in service to one's self for attaining "enlightenment" as highest priority.

As for Confucianism, there's documentation showing Chinese Christian hands in the composition and transmission of "Confucius" wisdom sayings. "Son of Heaven", who is He?