Jump to topic:

Stupid questions here!

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:00:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yea, so I guess I will be the one asking the stupid questions! Supernaturalism vs. Naturalism is the same argument as deity vs. no deity? I had a discussion today, and I may have misspoke. I caught myself trying to prove thoughts and the mind were part of the naturalistic world. Was this a reasonable approach? ...or did I fall for burden shifting? Educate me!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:13:24 PM
At 1/10/2014 11:00:26 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Yea, so I guess I will be the one asking the stupid questions! Supernaturalism vs. Naturalism is the same argument as deity vs. no deity? I had a discussion today, and I may have misspoke. I caught myself trying to prove thoughts and the mind were part of the naturalistic world. Was this a reasonable approach? ...or did I fall for burden shifting? Educate me!

No, supernaturalism vs. naturalism is not the same thing as deity vs. no deity. After all, a person could believe there are supernatural beings without believing any of those beings are gods. For example, a person might believe in souls and ghosts, but not believe in God, in which case that person would be a non-theistic supernaturalist.

Whether thoughts and minds are part of the natural world or not depends on how you view the mind/body problem. Some people think minds are part of the brain or are properties of the brain, and other people think minds are part of a distinct substance, such a soul, or are properties of souls.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:51:49 PM
if two witches watch two watches which witch would watch which watch
And he (God) gave some apostles .. and some prophets .. and some evangelists .. and some teaching pastors .. for the perfecting of the saints .. for the work of the ministry .. for the edifying of the body of Christ .. till we all come in the unity of the faith .. and of the knowledge of the Son of God .. to a perfect (complete) man .. to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ . . . . Ephesians 4:12 .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. come and learn
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 9:02:58 AM
The one on the Tower..

Here's one Evangelical Atheists ask all the time: How tall is God and how much does God weigh?
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 9:09:02 AM

Without consciousness would the natural world exist?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 9:31:43 AM
At 1/10/2014 11:51:49 PM, dadman wrote:
If a congregation of 10million godbotherers were assembled in one place would their combined IQ's reach double figures?
Hyp-Gnosis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 11:33:07 AM
At 1/11/2014 9:31:43 AM, bulproof wrote:
If a congregation of 10million godbotherers were assembled in one place would their combined IQ's reach double figures?

no
"We are both atheists: you just believe in one more god than I. When you can understand why you dismiss all other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~ Stephen Roberts ~
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 12:59:06 PM
At 1/11/2014 11:33:07 AM, Hyp-Gnosis wrote:
At 1/11/2014 9:31:43 AM, bulproof wrote:

no

Exactly true! Anyone stupid enough to bother God with endless demands to take a ruler and scale to a Great Spirit is an idiot by definition.
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 4:41:46 PM

Thoughts and the mind do happen to be naturalistic. Here's proof; we are able to make artificial arms that can be controlled with thoughts.
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 5:16:15 PM
At 1/13/2014 4:41:46 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

Thoughts and the mind do happen to be naturalistic. Here's proof; we are able to make artificial arms that can be controlled with thoughts.

" Logic is a tool based on a natural process of electrical impulses in the physical brain, which is something that can be measured. Logic may be invisible to our eyes, but that in no way means it is of another realm. Radio waves are also "invisible", but they can be detected, therefore they exist in the material world. The same can be said of logic."

...part of what I actually stated above. I was arguing along the same lines.."thoughts can be detected", using an experiment by Marcel Just. They show pictures to people while in a fMRI and let their computer interpret their brain scans. The computer was able to accurately determine the picture they were seeing by reading the fMRI data.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten