Jump to topic:

Parody for skeptics

Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 10:21:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Amazing Science, how sweet the sound.....
that rationally damns a soul like me! how precious indeed,
that professor was...the hour I first was taught.
Through many debates and arguments, I have already come!
Twas faith in man that taught my heart to boast, and boast my intellect enjoys!
When I've been here all my life, I don't know what will become of me.....
No fearful fate awaits me now, I can do whatever I want...
for I burned my conscience long ago,
in the name of science I'll praise Charles Darwin,
and curse all others who ever tried to challenge my FAITH.
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 10:36:34 PM
Did you write that all by yourself or did mummy help you or did you plagiarize it without accreditation.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 11:08:02 PM
At 1/13/2014 10:36:34 PM, bulproof wrote:
Did you write that all by yourself or did mummy help you or did you plagiarize it without accreditation.

I wrote it all by myself, rest assured.
TheSquirrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 3:02:05 PM

Pretty sure Amazing Grace is public domain.
Also, you may have missed the title of the topic explicitly mentioning parody, which is covered under fair use.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:32:42 PM

Unless this user got it directly from someone else, I found only 3 sites with the poem title. The first was this site. The second was a secular talk site that was discussing a poem with the same name, but different content. The third was an advertisement.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:37:50 PM
At 1/14/2014 8:32:42 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Unless this user got it directly from someone else, I found only 3 sites with the poem title. The first was this site. The second was a secular talk site that was discussing a poem with the same name, but different content. The third was an advertisement.

Your more than welcome to check and believe what you want, but I state with utmost integrity, that this directly came from my own mind.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:41:01 PM
I don't really understand the point of this poem. Faith means belief without evidence. Yes, on some level there is faith. I have faith that matter and energy exist. I have faith that other people exist. I have faith that this entire world is not a psychological delusion. I have faith that 1 + 1 = 2.

Now, we can call these things reasonable assumptions. If we flip a coin a million times, and every time it lands on heads or tails, is it reasonable to assume that if I flipped it one more time it would land on either heads or tails? If we never see gravity not in effect, is it reasonable to assume that in a experiment, I do not have to worry that gravity will suddenly stop being in effect? I would say yes.

Science is faith on some level. Scientists assume that if we observe a pattern to always be in effect, then we can assume that it will always be that way. However, unlike the faith of the church, if we suddenly observed gravity not being in effect under normal circumstances, science would stop assuming gravity to be a constant.

Science may be a little faith, but it changes if it is proven wrong. That's what makes science different from other belief systems. It changes. It has no agenda. If science proved that all its other assumptions were wrong, then whoever discovered that would get an award. If someone disproved evolution, then guess who will win the next biology award from the academy of science?
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:43:26 PM
At 1/14/2014 8:37:50 PM, Ruckmanite wrote:
At 1/14/2014 8:32:42 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Your more than welcome to check and believe what you want, but I state with utmost integrity, that this directly came from my own mind.

I was stating that it was unlikely that this was stolen or created by someone else. If it had been, I would have seen it in more places then just this forum when I googled the title.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 9:29:38 PM
At 1/14/2014 8:41:01 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
I don't really understand the point of this poem. Faith means belief without evidence. Yes, on some level there is faith. I have faith that matter and energy exist. I have faith that other people exist. I have faith that this entire world is not a psychological delusion. I have faith that 1 + 1 = 2.

Now, we can call these things reasonable assumptions. If we flip a coin a million times, and every time it lands on heads or tails, is it reasonable to assume that if I flipped it one more time it would land on either heads or tails? If we never see gravity not in effect, is it reasonable to assume that in a experiment, I do not have to worry that gravity will suddenly stop being in effect? I would say yes.

Science is faith on some level. Scientists assume that if we observe a pattern to always be in effect, then we can assume that it will always be that way. However, unlike the faith of the church, if we suddenly observed gravity not being in effect under normal circumstances, science would stop assuming gravity to be a constant.

Science may be a little faith, but it changes if it is proven wrong. That's what makes science different from other belief systems. It changes. It has no agenda. If science proved that all its other assumptions were wrong, then whoever discovered that would get an award. If someone disproved evolution, then guess who will win the next biology award from the academy of science?

Indeed, the point was that skeptics are as close minded as believers can be.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 12:10:11 PM
At 1/14/2014 9:29:38 PM, Ruckmanite wrote:
At 1/14/2014 8:41:01 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Indeed, the point was that skeptics are as close minded as believers can be.

No. The problem is, you seem to think that all faith is equal. An assumption without evidence is pure faith, but one that is not fully proven, yet mostly so, but accepted is still faith. I have faith that past behavior is indicitive of future behavior. Science is based on this assumption. Without it, most of our understandings of reality are broken.

Now, let us examine whether that faith is equal to your faith. My faith can be considered 'reasonable assumption'. Although it is a positive, there is corrolation to determine that it is true, and no evidence to the contrary for most normal cases. While I do not have enough evidence to prove a positive, I accept it because there is some evidence to indicate its validity, and no evidence to the contrary.

Now, you as well propose a positive, faith based assumption. Are they equal though? Unlike my faith based belief, yours has little evidence to prove it, and quite a bit of evidence to the contrary. It is not based on observable patterns and operates on significantly more faith.

in conclusion, not all faith or claims are equal. You cannot say that because they have the same label, they are therefore equal in merit in the area of truth. Reasonable assumptions, and unfounded belief in the supernatural are two very different things.