Jump to topic:

The Anger of the Departed

TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 2:36:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is a common trend among most (not all) atheists. If you asked the majority of people who distinguish themselves as being an "atheist," or perhaps the even stronger distinction of "anti-theist." You will find that they used to be Christians, or at least grew up in a Christian home.

Notable atheists such as Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens (the sadly late), were both raised Christians, though the other 2 "horsemen of the apocalypse," Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris became involved as a result of philosophical inquiry.

This trend is common amongst anyone who departs from a world view. People who leave Islam.. tend to be highly critical of it. People who leave Mormonism... tend to be highly critical of it.

What really is behind all of this, is an ancient mode of thinking. Namely, the "us vs them" mentality. One group supposes that they have all the truth, and then become diametrically opposed to those who disagree with them. Insults are launched... rarely are minds actually changed... and the opposing side is convinced that the others are what is wrong with society.

I would contest, that this mentality is really the heart of the issue, and it exists in all of us. The propensity to draw lines and make distinctions among us, which causes us to demonize others and fail to listen and properly communicate.

Those of you were hate what you once were, I urge you to embrace a more charitable approach that seeks to bridge the gaps and create channels that we can collaborate on. There will always be disagreement, just as there will always be the opportunity for acceptance and tolerance.

Regards,
TrueScotsman
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2014 8:29:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/14/2014 2:36:31 PM, TrueScotsman wrote:
There is a common trend among most (not all) atheists. If you asked the majority of people who distinguish themselves as being an "atheist," or perhaps the even stronger distinction of "anti-theist." You will find that they used to be Christians, or at least grew up in a Christian home.

I think this has a logical explanation. Most people in the Western world are Christians, and the atheist population tends to be more highly concentrated in these countries compared to the international averages. Besides, atheism and non-affiliated is a relatively new phenomenon that didn't really exist a while ago. The older generations are almost all affiliated. Odds are, your parents are religious, no matter what you believe.

Notable atheists such as Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens (the sadly late), were both raised Christians, though the other 2 "horsemen of the apocalypse," Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris became involved as a result of philosophical inquiry.

It's too bad that Carl Sagan is dead as well. Dawkins is fairly old, and soon he may too pass. It is sad.

This trend is common amongst anyone who departs from a world view. People who leave Islam.. tend to be highly critical of it. People who leave Mormonism... tend to be highly critical of it.

Well, to leave a religion, you must have some reason to be against it, whether you do not believe in what they believe, or you left because they discriminated against you, or a friend, or you found some hypocrisy you didn't like. It only takes being born into the right family to be part of a religion, but it takes a will to leave them.

What really is behind all of this, is an ancient mode of thinking. Namely, the "us vs them" mentality. One group supposes that they have all the truth, and then become diametrically opposed to those who disagree with them. Insults are launched... rarely are minds actually changed... and the opposing side is convinced that the others are what is wrong with society.

Yes I would completely agree that this is true. I am willing to admit that I am part of this problem as a more active atheist. The problem is a lack of ability to really understand the solution of secular politics. Secular politics is where religion, or lack thereof plays no role in politics. This is to protect minority sects of major religions, or minority faiths or lack thereof. Most atheists are for secular politics, but I find that some on the more conservative/orthodox side of religion see it as atheist politics. It is not atheist politics. It is the protection of the rights of church and religious and non-religious people alike to have the maximum amount of freedoms, as well as the freedom to be controlled by your church/synagogue/temple/mosque, as well as the freedom to not be controlled by them.

This misunderstanding that secular politics works to protect both atheists and theists is a misperception that must be fixed.

I would contest, that this mentality is really the heart of the issue, and it exists in all of us. The propensity to draw lines and make distinctions among us, which causes us to demonize others and fail to listen and properly communicate.

I completely agree. I always listen. I might not agree, but I always listen.

Regards,
TrueScotsman

With a cold, uncaring gaze,
Wais Graesil shu Aln de Alanai en Saeron en sor linneae (Lord Grae of the house Aln, son of Alana and Seron and the false king)
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved