Total Posts:121|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Your Feelings on "Evolution In The Classroom"

CanWeKnow
Posts: 217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 1:06:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

Is this proposing teaching creationism in science classes?
TrueScotsman
Posts: 515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 1:23:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

In the case, Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District, a federal judge concluded that Intelligent Design is, "a mere re-labeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory." This is the holding that the court decided upon:

"Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents."

Calling Intelligent Design a "theory" is inaccurate, it is a religious dogma, one which has been used as the "wedge strategy" by the Discovery Institute. It is a religious and political strategy, not a scientific one.

Intelligent design only is relevant to the classroom, when it is taught as something that was often held by many scientists such as Isaac Newton, etc.

Science teachers should not however make philosophical or religious implications based upon the science they are teaching, it should be impartial and stick to the evidence.

Darwinian Evolution should be taught in every classroom, and it should be mandatory. Not because of some secular conspiracy to turn people into atheists... I'm not an atheist and I embrace evolution.... but because of the strength and merit of the theory.

Regards,
TrueScotsman
BChart2
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 2:53:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

By definition, a scientific theory has to be based upon fact. Creationism isn't science, it's faith.

It's kinda simple, lol.
TrueScotsman
Posts: 515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 3:39:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 2:53:14 PM, BChart2 wrote:
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

By definition, a scientific theory has to be based upon fact. Creationism isn't science, it's faith.

It's kinda simple, lol.

Most importantly, it is a breach of the students 1st amendment rights.
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 6:14:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

Eviluyion should not be in clasroom. Here why:

How can lif com from randim mutation? Ther is noting that naturally make negativ mutation less likly to surviv and mak ofspring, or make postive mutation more likly to suirviva,l and make ofspring. Natural slection is not exist. Saying that I strawman evilution/misrepresent it is fail because people who support evilution is shills creted by satan.

Evilution is evil lie trying to destroy Amurica. It is maded up by satanist communist nazi athiest muslim terroris babby-eating libral Charles Darwin. Evilution is false becus it just a theory! Evilution is lie and evolutionst argument are fail because all of the supposed "observed speciation events", "transitional fossils" and "evidence" are made up by evil scientists who like to eat babies.

Here's the prof:

P1. Darwin said "hi" to others when he meeting someone else.
P2. Adolf Hitler did the same.
P3. Hitler was an evil person.
C. Darwin was evil and evilution is a lie.

All 1000000000 of those transitional fossils are lie! My sources are: The NY Times, MSNBC, FOX News, ETC ETC! So reliable, I didn't even put the exact link to the articles! Wy? Becuz crediblity, virifybility, evidens, reason, and logick are evil concept maded up by evil liberil athiest gay straiht satanist shill disinform agent athiest.

Have you ever seen seeds in bananas? That is because bananas are intelligently designed to be easily eaten! Some people say wild bananas have big seeds and they were cultivated and breeded so that domesticated bananas have no seeds, but they are shills who are working for the NSA, FBI, CIA, NBA, NHL, KFC, and so on! They are evil liberal baby eaters who want to ban guns and kill fetuses!

Evilution says that whales came out of the sea and turned into cows! It is actually what evilution said because VenomFangX is totally a reliable source.

If evilution is true, when why are there still apes arond? Evilution does not sayanything aboutcommon ancestry, so it must say that all apes turned into people magically!

Y DONT LIFE COMM OUT OF PENUT BUTER?

Monkeys don't give birth to goats, which is why a theory explaining biological diversity with "mutations can be beneficial or negative, and organisms are more likely to pass on beneficial mutations because it makes them more likely to survive and reproduce" is wrong.!!!!!!1!!

Satan has many forms, one of which is to turn into a bearded racist nazi communist muslim athiest Charles Darwin and spread lies to destroy America and promote secularism. Evilution is a evil lie that is just a theory. It impossible that somehow rock can turn into a planet, and then life spontaneously appeared out of nowhere, then bacteria suddenly evilving into people, and cats giving birth to catfishes after eating fish. It evil lie that spred by evil scientist and biolog techer! The mountain of evidence for evilution does not exist, because I don't bother to read th 10000 study report that say evilution true because there too long. Some people sau dat evilution is not what I say it is and that I use strawman, which is clearly lie becus anyone beliv evilution is a evil satan worshipper. Darwin himseelf has said that evilution is absurd to the highest degree, which is totally not quote mined adn put into creationist books. There are different types of evilution:

Micor-evilution:Da theery dat cat give birt to cafish!
Macor-eviltion:Da theery dat le bakteria com frumm le dirt in le ocean.
Stellar evilution:Da theery dat stars can form out of nebula, all 1000000000 of the so-called stellar evilution caught by telescope are evil lie by satan worship scientists that worship scientism.
Matter evilution: so-called heavier matter that form from hydrogen, which is bull because stars like the sun don't have nuclear fusion in core turning hydrogen to helum, instead it runs from power of cow feces!

All the above are lie made by evil liberal athiest scientist that hate the truth of cretion!!!!!!!1!!!

THEsE Are All evidence evilution should not be taught in school

This is perfect proof that evilution evil lie: It is trying to make children evil.

Look at this: Evilution was legalize in school recenly, righ? Well, teaching evilution made people commit more crime every time! Look, the crim rates steadily raising!

http://en.wikipedia.org.....................

Als, teching evilution mak natural disaster mor comon! Evilution is cause iof Katrina, Irene, Sandy, etc. because I say so and corelation alway equal causation when I say it.

Evilution not true becuz it violatez the lawz of fysicz! Entropy of closed system only increase. Earth is closed system becuz sun no shine any energy to earth, nothing can enter earth becuz there a invisible wall, and nothing can leav eath!!!!!!11! Entropy of earth can only increse, even tho it is open system, and decrasing entopy in earth by incrasing entropy out of earth is impossible even tho non of physic say it is impossible.

Banana are evidence dat evilution false evil lie. If banana evolved, it will hav seed. (Even tho wild banana hav seed, domesticated banana don't despite people cultivating it, domesticated banana not having seed is evidnce for evilution lie.

Evilution is supported by Obama, who is liberal that want destruction of America. Obama is satan because well I pulld it out of my A**. Obama want America become socialism. ObamaCar will kill everone! My frend Bob frm Canda, which ahs socilist medcare, sas that in Canad, the hospitl have 5 horu wait, and peple install death panal to chose wether or not grama dies. it is totally also not pulled out of my A**, and bob is claely real person I did not made up. If america socialst medcar, then ob,ama anticris hitler evil comunits

Caambrin exploshun evidence evilution false becuz despite fact that cambrin exploshun tak up namy million year, that transitional fossil to cambrin explosion exist, and similar lif to dose appar in cambrin explosion exist befor that, it is pruf that evil liberal babby killing athiest muslim scientist are destroy america because all evidence against wat I saying are fail.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 6:26:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 6:14:06 PM, jh1234l wrote:
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

Eviluyion should not be in clasroom. Here why:

How can lif com from randim mutation? Ther is noting that naturally make negativ mutation less likly to surviv and mak ofspring, or make postive mutation more likly to suirviva,l and make ofspring. Natural slection is not exist. Saying that I strawman evilution/misrepresent it is fail because people who support evilution is shills creted by satan.

Evilution is evil lie trying to destroy Amurica. It is maded up by satanist communist nazi athiest muslim terroris babby-eating libral Charles Darwin. Evilution is false becus it just a theory! Evilution is lie and evolutionst argument are fail because all of the supposed "observed speciation events", "transitional fossils" and "evidence" are made up by evil scientists who like to eat babies.

Here's the prof:

P1. Darwin said "hi" to others when he meeting someone else.
P2. Adolf Hitler did the same.
P3. Hitler was an evil person.
C. Darwin was evil and evilution is a lie.

All 1000000000 of those transitional fossils are lie! My sources are: The NY Times, MSNBC, FOX News, ETC ETC! So reliable, I didn't even put the exact link to the articles! Wy? Becuz crediblity, virifybility, evidens, reason, and logick are evil concept maded up by evil liberil athiest gay straiht satanist shill disinform agent athiest.

Have you ever seen seeds in bananas? That is because bananas are intelligently designed to be easily eaten! Some people say wild bananas have big seeds and they were cultivated and breeded so that domesticated bananas have no seeds, but they are shills who are working for the NSA, FBI, CIA, NBA, NHL, KFC, and so on! They are evil liberal baby eaters who want to ban guns and kill fetuses!

Evilution says that whales came out of the sea and turned into cows! It is actually what evilution said because VenomFangX is totally a reliable source.

If evilution is true, when why are there still apes arond? Evilution does not sayanything aboutcommon ancestry, so it must say that all apes turned into people magically!

Y DONT LIFE COMM OUT OF PENUT BUTER?

Monkeys don't give birth to goats, which is why a theory explaining biological diversity with "mutations can be beneficial or negative, and organisms are more likely to pass on beneficial mutations because it makes them more likely to survive and reproduce" is wrong.!!!!!!1!!

Satan has many forms, one of which is to turn into a bearded racist nazi communist muslim athiest Charles Darwin and spread lies to destroy America and promote secularism. Evilution is a evil lie that is just a theory. It impossible that somehow rock can turn into a planet, and then life spontaneously appeared out of nowhere, then bacteria suddenly evilving into people, and cats giving birth to catfishes after eating fish. It evil lie that spred by evil scientist and biolog techer! The mountain of evidence for evilution does not exist, because I don't bother to read th 10000 study report that say evilution true because there too long. Some people sau dat evilution is not what I say it is and that I use strawman, which is clearly lie becus anyone beliv evilution is a evil satan worshipper. Darwin himseelf has said that evilution is absurd to the highest degree, which is totally not quote mined adn put into creationist books. There are different types of evilution:

Micor-evilution:Da theery dat cat give birt to cafish!
Macor-eviltion:Da theery dat le bakteria com frumm le dirt in le ocean.
Stellar evilution:Da theery dat stars can form out of nebula, all 1000000000 of the so-called stellar evilution caught by telescope are evil lie by satan worship scientists that worship scientism.
Matter evilution: so-called heavier matter that form from hydrogen, which is bull because stars like the sun don't have nuclear fusion in core turning hydrogen to helum, instead it runs from power of cow feces!

All the above are lie made by evil liberal athiest scientist that hate the truth of cretion!!!!!!!1!!!

THEsE Are All evidence evilution should not be taught in school

This is perfect proof that evilution evil lie: It is trying to make children evil.

Look at this: Evilution was legalize in school recenly, righ? Well, teaching evilution made people commit more crime every time! Look, the crim rates steadily raising!

http://en.wikipedia.org.....................

Als, teching evilution mak natural disaster mor comon! Evilution is cause iof Katrina, Irene, Sandy, etc. because I say so and corelation alway equal causation when I say it.

Evilution not true becuz it violatez the lawz of fysicz! Entropy of closed system only increase. Earth is closed system becuz sun no shine any energy to earth, nothing can enter earth becuz there a invisible wall, and nothing can leav eath!!!!!!11! Entropy of earth can only increse, even tho it is open system, and decrasing entopy in earth by incrasing entropy out of earth is impossible even tho non of physic say it is impossible.

Banana are evidence dat evilution false evil lie. If banana evolved, it will hav seed. (Even tho wild banana hav seed, domesticated banana don't despite people cultivating it, domesticated banana not having seed is evidnce for evilution lie.

Evilution is supported by Obama, who is liberal that want destruction of America. Obama is satan because well I pulld it out of my A**. Obama want America become socialism. ObamaCar will kill everone! My frend Bob frm Canda, which ahs socilist medcare, sas that in Canad, the hospitl have 5 horu wait, and peple install death panal to chose wether or not grama dies. it is totally also not pulled out of my A**, and bob is claely real person I did not made up. If america socialst medcar, then ob,ama anticris hitler evil comunits

Caambrin exploshun evidence evilution false becuz despite fact that cambrin exploshun tak up namy million year, that transitional fossil to cambrin explosion exist, and similar lif to dose appar in cambrin explosion exist befor that, it is pruf that evil liberal babby killing athiest muslim scientist are destroy america because all evidence against wat I saying are fail.

If you copy&paste JUST the first 2 paragraphs, its wayyyyyy funnier.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
CanWeKnow
Posts: 217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 8:00:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Those are some interesting comments. Before starting this paper I held that Intelligent Design is not Science or a Scientific Theory and therefore has no place in the classroom. Like a lot of things Intelligent Design advocates say, the idea that intelligent design is a somehow scientific or credible or falsifiable in any way is just another assertion.

An article written by the late Hitchens had something in it along the lines of this:

"To include ID in Biology would mean we also have to start teaching Astrology in Astronomy and Alchemy in Chemistry! Oh, and don't forget about all the other 5 billion creation myths. Christian's aren't the only ones who will have to share their fairytales with students."
bulproof
Posts: 25,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2014 8:20:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 8:00:46 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
Those are some interesting comments. Before starting this paper I held that Intelligent Design is not Science or a Scientific Theory and therefore has no place in the classroom. Like a lot of things Intelligent Design advocates say, the idea that intelligent design is a somehow scientific or credible or falsifiable in any way is just another assertion.

An article written by the late Hitchens had something in it along the lines of this:

"To include ID in Biology would mean we also have to start teaching Astrology in Astronomy and Alchemy in Chemistry! Oh, and don't forget about all the other 5 billion creation myths. Christian's aren't the only ones who will have to share their fairytales with students."

You're on the right bus kid.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
BChart2
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 1:52:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 8:00:46 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
Those are some interesting comments. Before starting this paper I held that Intelligent Design is not Science or a Scientific Theory and therefore has no place in the classroom. Like a lot of things Intelligent Design advocates say, the idea that intelligent design is a somehow scientific or credible or falsifiable in any way is just another assertion.

An article written by the late Hitchens had something in it along the lines of this:

"To include ID in Biology would mean we also have to start teaching Astrology in Astronomy and Alchemy in Chemistry! Oh, and don't forget about all the other 5 billion creation myths. Christian's aren't the only ones who will have to share their fairytales with students."

Correct.
This is why I like the Pastafarian example.
If you want Christian Creationism in the classroom, then we demand Pastafarian Creationism in the classroom as well! Equal representation!

But yeah, pushing for religion in a Scientific environment at all is just wrong.
If kids want to learn about creationism, then their parents can send them to Church.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 4:20:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Evolution is an observable law that literally happens before our eyes. I am a scientist myself, and I announce that it has officially been upgraded to a Law. It now has the same scientific status as gravity.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 4:44:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It all just depends what class it's taught in. Creationism has a place in some classes such as R.E but no place in science.
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2014 8:03:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here are my feelings on the subject:

I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom as long as there is a giant poster on the wall with the following:

1. What a Scientific Theory is, AND

2. How Evolution meets these qualifications

That's all.

You can replace "theory" with "hypothesis" or "law" as you see fit, depending on how you define evolution
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
CanWeKnow
Posts: 217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 2:14:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
XD.

I've been reading some books about the conflict, and wanted to mention something I read.

Do you think there is a difference between Creationism and Intelligent Design?

ID claims to be non-subscriptive to any "specific" creation myth and therefore non religious.
Do you buy this argument?
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 3:52:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 2:14:19 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
XD.

I've been reading some books about the conflict, and wanted to mention something I read.

Do you think there is a difference between Creationism and Intelligent Design?

ID claims to be non-subscriptive to any "specific" creation myth and therefore non religious.
Do you buy this argument?

Well I buy that it isn't specific to any particular religion as it could just as easily be applied to evolution as it only says that everything was actively designed. However it has to be religious as it involves a god which means it must be religious.
bulproof
Posts: 25,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 12:31:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2014 8:03:56 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Here are my feelings on the subject:

I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom as long as there is a giant poster on the wall with the following:

1. What a Scientific Theory is, AND

2. How Evolution meets these qualifications

That's all.

You can replace "theory" with "hypothesis" or "law" as you see fit, depending on how you define evolution
Uhh no you can't. Learn the difference. The religious discussing science becomes so very tedious simply because they refuse to get educated on the matter.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 11:05:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/18/2014 12:31:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/16/2014 8:03:56 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Here are my feelings on the subject:

I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom as long as there is a giant poster on the wall with the following:

1. What a Scientific Theory is, AND

2. How Evolution meets these qualifications

That's all.

You can replace "theory" with "hypothesis" or "law" as you see fit, depending on how you define evolution
Uhh no you can't. Learn the difference. The religious discussing science becomes so very tedious simply because they refuse to get educated on the matter.

Uhh yes you can. YOU learn the difference.

Depending on who you ask, "evolution" is considered a theory, a hypothesis, or a law.

There is no consensus in the scientific literature on the matter, despite what the public has been lead to believe.

That's why I said it depends on how it is defined. If the school teaches evolution as a theory, then don't just explain the theory. Explain the model of a theory, and how evolution fits this model.

Same goes if it is taught as law or hypothesis.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/18/2014 11:05:52 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 12:31:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/16/2014 8:03:56 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Here are my feelings on the subject:

I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom as long as there is a giant poster on the wall with the following:

1. What a Scientific Theory is, AND

2. How Evolution meets these qualifications

That's all.

You can replace "theory" with "hypothesis" or "law" as you see fit, depending on how you define evolution
Uhh no you can't. Learn the difference. The religious discussing science becomes so very tedious simply because they refuse to get educated on the matter.

Uhh yes you can. YOU learn the difference.

Depending on who you ask, "evolution" is considered a theory, a hypothesis, or a law.

There is no consensus in the scientific literature on the matter, despite what the public has been lead to believe.

That's why I said it depends on how it is defined. If the school teaches evolution as a theory, then don't just explain the theory. Explain the model of a theory, and how evolution fits this model.

Same goes if it is taught as law or hypothesis.

The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 11:41:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

I'll deal with the first point later. In regards to the "Gravity" argument:

http://universalcommondissent.weebly.com...
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 11:44:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
And yes, the scientific community can say that "evolution is a fact" & "evolution is a theory" all they want, but it's a 100% meaningless claim unless they all define evolution the same way (which they don't).

People have been claiming evolution is a fact since Darwin's time, even though his version was falsified, then the next version falsified, over and over.

Yet, they make a new theory, call it by the same name, and pretend that they were right all along.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 12:06:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

I don't think we really need a god to answer the mechanics of our universe. It's likely he doesn't exist. Maybe you should include FSM in your paper :)
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 12:28:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 12:06:35 AM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*

I don't think we really need a god to answer the mechanics of our universe. It's likely he doesn't exist. Maybe you should include FSM in your paper :)

That depends on how you define God. There certainly is reasonable cause to conclude that a supernatural, intelligent being created life. Do rule this possibility out completely would require a leap of faith, involving assuming that if we just dig a LITTLE bit deeper, or wait a TINY bit longer, or keep insisting that there is no god a BIT harder, we might actually find convincing transitional below the cambrian to explain the what? 20+ phyla that have absolutely NO transitional between them and sponges?
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 12:28:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:05:52 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 12:31:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/16/2014 8:03:56 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Here are my feelings on the subject:

I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom as long as there is a giant poster on the wall with the following:

1. What a Scientific Theory is, AND

2. How Evolution meets these qualifications

That's all.

You can replace "theory" with "hypothesis" or "law" as you see fit, depending on how you define evolution
Uhh no you can't. Learn the difference. The religious discussing science becomes so very tedious simply because they refuse to get educated on the matter.

Uhh yes you can. YOU learn the difference.

Depending on who you ask, "evolution" is considered a theory, a hypothesis, or a law.

There is no consensus in the scientific literature on the matter, despite what the public has been lead to believe.

That's why I said it depends on how it is defined. If the school teaches evolution as a theory, then don't just explain the theory. Explain the model of a theory, and how evolution fits this model.

Same goes if it is taught as law or hypothesis.

The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

Define scientific community. & define evolution.

And I will prove you wrong.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 12:44:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 12:28:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:05:52 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 12:31:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/16/2014 8:03:56 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Here are my feelings on the subject:

I have no problem with Evolution being taught in the classroom as long as there is a giant poster on the wall with the following:

1. What a Scientific Theory is, AND

2. How Evolution meets these qualifications

That's all.

You can replace "theory" with "hypothesis" or "law" as you see fit, depending on how you define evolution
Uhh no you can't. Learn the difference. The religious discussing science becomes so very tedious simply because they refuse to get educated on the matter.

Uhh yes you can. YOU learn the difference.

Depending on who you ask, "evolution" is considered a theory, a hypothesis, or a law.

There is no consensus in the scientific literature on the matter, despite what the public has been lead to believe.

That's why I said it depends on how it is defined. If the school teaches evolution as a theory, then don't just explain the theory. Explain the model of a theory, and how evolution fits this model.

Same goes if it is taught as law or hypothesis.

The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

Define scientific community. & define evolution.

And I will prove you wrong.

If you don't know what evolution is then you do have a lot of reading.
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection.
The Steve project. But really scientific community means scientists.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 1:17:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 12:44:10 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:28:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

Define scientific community. & define evolution.

And I will prove you wrong.

If you don't know what evolution is then you do have a lot of reading.
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection.
The Steve project. But really scientific community means scientists.

So let me get this straight:

"Evolution" is defined as "The change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection."

You do realize that that is a 100% useless definition for our purposes, right? Define it again, this time make sure to define it in a way that would allow one to take a PRO or CON stance on it in a debate.

Also... "scientific community" is defined as "scientists"? Wow, that clarified... nothing.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 1:48:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 1:17:16 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:44:10 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:28:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

Define scientific community. & define evolution.

And I will prove you wrong.

If you don't know what evolution is then you do have a lot of reading.
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection.
The Steve project. But really scientific community means scientists.

So let me get this straight:

"Evolution" is defined as "The change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection."

You do realize that that is a 100% useless definition for our purposes, right? Define it again, this time make sure to define it in a way that would allow one to take a PRO or CON stance on it in a debate.

You, sir, in every single forum you discuss evolution, wave off the definition of evolution as useless. Not once have you explained why.it is a perfectly functioning definition until you establish and illustrate a decent reason for us to believe otherwise. This is starting to look like a massive straw man campaign. Have you noticed that you are the only one around here who keeps arguing the definition of evolution?


Also... "scientific community" is defined as "scientists"? Wow, that clarified... nothing.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
bulproof
Posts: 25,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 1:58:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 1:17:16 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:44:10 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:28:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

Define scientific community. & define evolution.

And I will prove you wrong.

If you don't know what evolution is then you do have a lot of reading.
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection.
The Steve project. But really scientific community means scientists.

So let me get this straight:

"Evolution" is defined as "The change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection."

You do realize that that is a 100% useless definition for our purposes, right? Define it again, this time make sure to define it in a way that would allow one to take a PRO or CON stance on it in a debate.

Also... "scientific community" is defined as "scientists"? Wow, that clarified... nothing.
You asked for definitions.

I provided two concise and precise definitions now prove me wrong. That was what you said you would do.

Have at it.

Or do you have some strawman definitions that you would feel more comfortable with? If so

Have at it.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 9:30:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/15/2014 12:37:45 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
I'm writing a research paper for my Sr. English class on the issue of teaching Evolution in public schools. From what I have researched so far, few (if any) school districts prohibit teaching evolution, however, debates regarding "equal exposure" to Intelligent Design theory and Evolutionary Theory are still going on.

The Intelligent Design posse finally said "Fine, teach your Evolution, BUT now you gossa teach Intelligent Design alongside it! Hah! In Your Face Atheists! Equal Opportunity! This is 'Merica!"

XD Obviously that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

I have a few articles I found using my school's research databases that briefly outline some of the information I am looking for, but I am want more!

So far I think the key points in this debate are the interpretation of Separation of Church and State, whether or not Intelligent Design can be considered Scientific Theory or even a competing theory, and what including Intelligent Design would mean for education.

Please share with me any full text articles (online or books) you know of that talk about this issue.

Also, if you have an opinion on this issue please share it! I'm sure the DDO community has lots of great points I can utilize in my essay.

Let the discussion... BEGIN!
*Hunger Games Chariot Scene Music Plays*
The term Separation Of Church And State has a different meaning today than it did when it was first presented. Teaching ID in public schools would not be a violation of any kind in early American history. Do you feel that proponents of ID are not sincere when they state that both views should be presented in the public classroom?
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 12:14:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 1:48:37 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 1/19/2014 1:17:16 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:44:10 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/19/2014 12:28:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/18/2014 11:39:08 PM, bulproof wrote:
The scientific community consider evolution be be unimpeachable. It is a fact. It is a theory. Evolution is as real as gravity.

Define scientific community. & define evolution.

And I will prove you wrong.

If you don't know what evolution is then you do have a lot of reading.
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection.
The Steve project. But really scientific community means scientists.

So let me get this straight:

"Evolution" is defined as "The change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection."

You do realize that that is a 100% useless definition for our purposes, right? Define it again, this time make sure to define it in a way that would allow one to take a PRO or CON stance on it in a debate.

You, sir, in every single forum you discuss evolution, wave off the definition of evolution as useless. Not once have you explained why.it is a perfectly functioning definition until you establish and illustrate a decent reason for us to believe otherwise. This is starting to look like a massive straw man campaign. Have you noticed that you are the only one around here who keeps arguing the definition of evolution?

I may be missing something here, but as far as I can tell, it's impossible to take a PRO or CON stance on your definition. Let's see...

I am CON. I am against the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations by means of mutation and natural selection.

See? That doesn't make any sense, at least to me.

Please, just to satisfy me, provide a definition that could be used as a resolution in a debate.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
CanWeKnow
Posts: 217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2014 4:29:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2014 9:30:29 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

The term Separation Of Church And State has a different meaning today than it did when it was first presented. Teaching ID in public schools would not be a violation of any kind in early American history. Do you feel that proponents of ID are not sincere when they state that both views should be presented in the public classroom?

Mmm. Not necessarily.

Despite being an Atheist myself, I think it would actually be pretty cool to have a class that incorporates viewpoints from the world's most and least popular religions.

I do feel they are being a bit disingenuous by asking to have it presented in a Science class though.

From what I know, the majority of the scientific community agrees that Evolution, in its most general definition, best describes the phenomena we have observed. Although the "theory", "idea", or whatever of Intelligent design can't be completely discredited and may hold to be true someday, it doesn't have the qualities needed to be considered a scientific viewpoint.

If any one disagrees with me on that point I would actually love to hear why, because I can use it in my paper.

(There is a reason we don't see String Theory, M-Theory, and other Multi-verse Theories in our High School textbooks too often. These too, I think, are on the borderline of acceptability for now. As far as I understand, the "proof" for these theories is largely mathematical and the predictions made are so far untestable. I think there have been a few developments since the LHC was up and running again, but nothing ground breaking yet.)

Additional Discussion Topics:

(Someone already mentioned this, but if anyone else has more information to share that would be great.)
Explaining the Cambrian Explosion and the sudden appearance of new phyla.

Irreducible Complexity

Why or Why Not the Anthropic Principle Makes Sense