Jump to topic:

religious debate tournament

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 2:16:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was just thinking it might be cool to have a single elimination tournament to figure out which religion is the one true religion.

For example, let's say we get Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Wiccans, and Pastafarians. Then we'd maybe have the Hindu debate the Buddhist, and the Christian to debate the Jew, and the winner of each debate would have to debate the winner of the other debate, and eventually, there would be one winner.

The only problem is that we may not have enough variety here to have a debate. And then there are religions like Hinduism that reject the whole idea that there's any one true religion. But play along anyway. After all, the view that "all roads lead to Rome" is a view held by Hindus but denied by Christians, so that's something Hindus and Christians could argue over.

There are probably a lot of different Christians here that might want to participate in the tournament, so if they end up having to debate each other, then we could separate them according to the particular flavour of Christianity that they subscribe to , i.e. Calvinist vs. Molinist, Jehovah's Witness vs. Mormon, Catholic vs. protestant, etc.

What do y'all think? If you like the idea, then write your name beside the next number and say what religion you are going to defend. If we get enough people with enough variety, then we can start pairing people up and have a tournament.

Just an idea...

1. ____________________
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 2:19:14 PM
A stipulation of the tournament would be that in each debate, there is a shared burden of proof since each debater will have to defend his own religion.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 6:44:20 PM
I'll take my religion that I created called Belgarianism (I would create a post to explain the beliefs)

If you only want belief sets that people know, then I'll take Pastafariansim.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 6:49:53 PM
So I guess......

1. Lord Grae; Belgarianism

For further information; I will post info on this religion in this forum.
http://www.debate.org...
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:08:39 PM
Would you allow devils advocate ?

I dunno, maybe I would like to take a trip to the Islamic world for a while.

There is only one God.........and Muhammad is his messenger, don't ya know.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:18:52 PM
At 1/21/2014 2:16:55 PM, philochristos wrote:
I was just thinking it might be cool to have a single elimination tournament to figure out which religion is the one true religion.

For example, let's say we get Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Wiccans, and Pastafarians. Then we'd maybe have the Hindu debate the Buddhist, and the Christian to debate the Jew, and the winner of each debate would have to debate the winner of the other debate, and eventually, there would be one winner.

The only problem is that we may not have enough variety here to have a debate. And then there are religions like Hinduism that reject the whole idea that there's any one true religion. But play along anyway. After all, the view that "all roads lead to Rome" is a view held by Hindus but denied by Christians, so that's something Hindus and Christians could argue over.

There are probably a lot of different Christians here that might want to participate in the tournament, so if they end up having to debate each other, then we could separate them according to the particular flavour of Christianity that they subscribe to , i.e. Calvinist vs. Molinist, Jehovah's Witness vs. Mormon, Catholic vs. protestant, etc.

What do y'all think? If you like the idea, then write your name beside the next number and say what religion you are going to defend. If we get enough people with enough variety, then we can start pairing people up and have a tournament.

Just an idea...

1. ____________________

We'll you have to have an atheist. Why not zoidberg?

(ME...)
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:22:54 PM
At 1/21/2014 7:18:52 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Just an idea...

1. ____________________

(ME...)

Futurama. Lol.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:26:40 PM
At 1/21/2014 7:22:54 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Just an idea...

1. ____________________

Well you have to have an atheist. Why not zoidberg?

(ME...)

Futurama. Lol.

Have you noticed that the creator of this tournament has a profile stating that he hasn't been on for a month, yet he has posted several hours ago? Maybe I need glasses...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:38:36 PM

Well, I really wanted this to be a battle between various religions, not non-religions. I suppose Secular Humanism might work, though.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:41:03 PM
At 1/21/2014 7:38:36 PM, philochristos wrote:

Well, I really wanted this to be a battle between various religions, not non-religions. I suppose Secular Humanism might work, though.

But Philo have you not heard............... ATHEISM IS A RELIGION !!!

)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:47:50 PM

Religion could arguably be defined as ones stance on god, and my stance is that he probably does not exist.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 7:56:51 PM
At 1/21/2014 7:47:50 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Religion could arguably be defined as ones stance on god, and my stance is that he probably does not exist.

By that logic, theism is a religion. There are atheistic religions, or religions that don't believe in a god, but if you just have no religion I don't think it counts.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:02:49 PM
At 1/21/2014 7:56:51 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

By that logic, theism is a religion. There are atheistic religions, or religions that don't believe in a god, but if you just have no religion I don't think it counts.

If they simply believe that god exists and have no affiliation to an ancient book, then sure. Why would I have to believe in a book such as the bible to declare my stance on god? It could just be a creator that doesn't care, or merely just my incomplete knowledge on what I would like to believe.

My religious stance is that there is no god.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:07:14 PM
At 1/21/2014 8:02:49 PM, DudeStop wrote:

If they simply believe that god exists and have no affiliation to an ancient book, then sure. Why would I have to believe in a book such as the bible to declare my stance on god? It could just be a creator that doesn't care, or merely just my incomplete knowledge on what I would like to believe.

But a religion isn't a stance on the existence of a god or gods, it's the belief in a specific god or gods along with a moral code set by said god or gods. If a religion were simply a stance on the existence of a higher being(s), then Christianity wouldn't be a religion, it would be a denomination. I would love to debate you on this if you want to.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:12:14 PM
At 1/21/2014 7:58:49 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I feel like this is one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" sort of ideas.

I was doubtful that it would work, but I thought it was worth suggesting.

DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:18:30 PM
At 1/21/2014 8:07:14 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 1/21/2014 8:02:49 PM, DudeStop wrote:

But a religion isn't a stance on the existence of a god or gods, it's the belief in a specific god or gods along with a moral code set by said god or gods. If a religion were simply a stance on the existence of a higher being(s), then Christianity wouldn't be a religion, it would be a denomination. I would love to debate you on this if you want to.

Well some believe the god of the bible is true. They do not all share the exact same faith, which I never claimed. Obviously, they have different stances on how god is defined as. (Different traits, did different things, set up different rules, etc...). I claim the stance that he probably is not real.

A fundamentalist may say the god of the bible is true, and is the one true god. Everything in the bible happened.

But, Christianity takes off into different branches. So really, a different idea on what god is, or what he is characterized as.

I wouldn't say it's is he real or not, but rather what you think of him as. I picture god as merely nothing.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:21:18 PM
At 1/21/2014 8:12:14 PM, philochristos wrote:
I feel like this is one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" sort of ideas.

I can't force you to allow me into your tournament, but I can explain that it would only be reasonable...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:45:47 PM
At 1/21/2014 8:21:18 PM, DudeStop wrote:

I can't force you to allow me into your tournament, but I can explain that it would only be reasonable...

It's probably not going to happen anyway. But, you know, we could change the tournament. Instead of having a battle of religions, we could have a battle of worldviews. That would include atheism, materialism, etc. as well as religions.

DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:48:32 PM
At 1/21/2014 8:45:47 PM, philochristos wrote:

It's probably not going to happen anyway. But, you know, we could change the tournament. Instead of having a battle of religions, we could have a battle of worldviews. That would include atheism, materialism, etc. as well as religions.

My worldview and religion share no connections.
eNo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 8:58:02 PM
Yeah lets bring a bunch of people who don't agree, can't find common ground, don't respect each others arguments and think each other a wrong and stupid and have a big debate.... you know, I think we already tried tried that... its called the Religion Forum!
"Scholarly opinion, even well informed scholarly opinion, is not evidence."
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:29:07 PM

No, it was a good idea. I would suggest inviting people to the tournament rather then making it 100% open. Try sending personal messages to people you want to do it (make sure that religions aren't double represented), then open up signups once you already have a few people. Again I would be willing to participate under Belgarianism.

You must get at least 3 unbiased judges. If I do not participate, I could be a judge. I hate all religions equally, so I would have no reason to vote for one over the other.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:31:43 PM
Was anyone here part of the Liberal debate tournament? It took a long time to organize, but it was really interesting. If you have one person organizing it, several judges set up (only their votes count towards the tournament, outside votes by other users would be discounted) and a structured debate topics, it could be really fun and interesting.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:35:44 PM
At 1/21/2014 9:29:07 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

No, it was a good idea. I would suggest inviting people to the tournament rather then making it 100% open. Try sending personal messages to people you want to do it (make sure that religions aren't double represented), then open up signups once you already have a few people. Again I would be willing to participate under Belgarianism.

You must get at least 3 unbiased judges. If I do not participate, I could be a judge. I hate all religions equally, so I would have no reason to vote for one over the other.

I think I would make a good judge as well since I love all religions equally, so I would have no reason to vote for one over the other.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:36:29 PM
At 1/21/2014 8:58:02 PM, eNo wrote:
Yeah lets bring a bunch of people who don't agree, can't find common ground, don't respect each others arguments and think each other a wrong and stupid and have a big debate.... you know, I think we already tried tried that... its called the Religion Forum!

You make it sound like the Jerry Springer Show.

eNo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:40:28 PM
At 1/21/2014 9:36:29 PM, philochristos wrote:

You make it sound like the Jerry Springer Show.

Only if I slept with your wife... and she was VERY fat!
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:43:03 PM

(Looks above)

(Looks back down)

(Double checks to make sure)

This IS the religious forum. -_-
eNo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2014 9:47:37 PM
At 1/21/2014 9:43:03 PM, DudeStop wrote:

(Looks above)

(Looks back down)

(Double checks to make sure)

This IS the religious forum. -_-

whoa... can't pull the wool over your eyes....
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 6:36:52 PM
At 1/21/2014 9:35:44 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 1/21/2014 9:29:07 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

I think I would make a good judge as well since I love all religions equally, so I would have no reason to vote for one over the other.

Yes, we could also make our own voting parameters to decide the winner, instead of this sites parameters, because in this type of debate, things like sources and spelling and grammar might be less expected and/or necessary.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2014 6:42:49 PM
Let's actually get serious about this. In this forum I'll set up in this post a sign up spot for three judges (I think Romanii already wanted a spot) as well as spots for 8 debaters. We'll see how many we get in this forum, and then we'll send Personal messages to other people we think should participate.

Judges - Please state religious affiliation so we can ensure judging is non-biased. One judge will be alternate to further ensure that we can select the best judges for each

1. Lordgrae (Atheist)
2. ____________
3. ____________
4. ____________

Participants (please state religious affiliation as specifically as possible, if you cannot define your beliefs under a name or a one or two sentence description, then just write 'other')

1. ____________
2. ____________
3. ____________
4. ____________
5. ____________
6. ____________
7. ____________
8. ____________