Total Posts:68|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Evidence FOR atheism

Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 10:13:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

Atheism, in general, is not only the assertion "there is no god". It generally also encompasses the position that "There isn't sufficient evidence to assert there's a god".

The second position doesn't require "evidence", except from the opposing side who wish to assert the existence of god.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Posts: 13,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 10:30:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I beg to differ, sir!

I've seen the documentary:


I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Posts: 13,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 10:33:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:30:53 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I beg to differ, sir!

I've seen the documentary:

haha awesome

I stand corrected, that's clearly very good evidence.
Debate.org Moderator
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,082
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 12:09:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

Since it has already been said,"positive claims bear burden of proof", my question would be: What is your evidence FOR God.

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

Also, atheism is not a belief, but rather a lack of belief.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Picard
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

This is, I assume intended as a parody to my thread 'Evidence FOR Religion' a thread which, by the way, after 200 posts has yet to have any evidence for religion posted on it. I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.
SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:23:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

I know we've argued over this same topic, but just answer my one question.
Let's say I believe in alien abductions. Should the burden of proof fall on you to prove that there are no alien abductions?
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:27:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.

That doesn't disprove unicorns. There was a time when other galaxies weren't observed, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist. Lack of evidence doesn't disprove anything. However, people have claimed to see unicorns.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 2:49:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.
Well it looks like you got me..

but if that's all it takes.

No-one has ever seen your god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 4:45:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.

And really, if you think about it, if everybody was forced to produce undeniable evidence for their own religion, we would all be classified as agnostics as no one can prove this question of god for certain. I think god is improbable, and I would rather debate a theist than have him argue about whether I'm "agnostic" or not. Call me what you wish...
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 3:51:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.

Atoms didn't exist until less than 100 years ago.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 6:16:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/29/2014 3:51:03 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.

Atoms didn't exist until less than 100 years ago.

People had suspicions about them existing before they were discovered to exist, please stop falsifying science to try to score points for your fundie atheist belief-system.
Picard
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 1:48:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

I do not claim that there is no God. I merely point out that there is not sufficient evidence to prove that a God exists.
Picard
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 1:51:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.

Go to Google images and type in 'Unicorn'; by your logic, I have just proved the existence of Unicorns.
janetsanders733
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 1:58:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.

Burden of Proof is on both sides. The claim "God does not exist" Is just as much a claim as "God does exist". They are both knowledge claims that require justification. Atheists need to give some Positive reasons for the non-existence of God.

For example, If you can show something to be a self-contradiction like "There are no Married Bacheolors" that's proving a negative.

There are no 4 sided triangles is also a negative, because it's a self-contradiction.

There are positive reasons for thinking that An advanced civilization doesn't exist on the moon. For 1) We have been on the moon and have observed no civilization that exists 2) The conditions for civilizations to exist on the moon are not possible yet. You would need a lot of water, gravity, food, and oxygen, so if there was an advanced civilzation we would know about because they would need to have contact in order for them to survive on the moon.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:02:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 1:51:49 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.

Go to Google images and type in 'Unicorn'; by your logic, I have just proved the existence of Unicorns.

No, you have proven people can photoshop a picture of a horse to make a unicorn.

In order to prove my evidence wrong, you need to provide your own evidence that someone has documented seeing a unicorn that possesses all the properties a unicorn has.

By denying God, you make a claim: that you know he doesn't exist. It doesn't matter with what certainty you deny God, you still make a claim, and under your world-view you have to provide me with evidence showing God doesn't exist. Otherwise you are just being irrational and no-one should have to disprove what you say.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:09:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 2:02:41 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

By denying God, you make a claim: that you know he doesn't exist. It doesn't matter with what certainty you deny God, you still make a claim, and under your world-view you have to provide me with evidence showing God doesn't exist. Otherwise you are just being irrational and no-one should have to disprove what you say.

So are you arguing back-handedly that no claims should ever need to be justified, or are you admittting that you're being irrational when you assert without evidence that there is a god?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
reddj2
Posts: 239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:13:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 1:58:32 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.


Burden of Proof is on both sides. The claim "God does not exist" Is just as much a claim as "God does exist". They are both knowledge claims that require justification. Atheists need to give some Positive reasons for the non-existence of God.

For example, If you can show something to be a self-contradiction like "There are no Married Bacheolors" that's proving a negative.

There are no 4 sided triangles is also a negative, because it's a self-contradiction.

There are positive reasons for thinking that An advanced civilization doesn't exist on the moon. For 1) We have been on the moon and have observed no civilization that exists 2) The conditions for civilizations to exist on the moon are not possible yet. You would need a lot of water, gravity, food, and oxygen, so if there was an advanced civilzation we would know about because they would need to have contact in order for them to survive on the moon.

No the burden of proof is on the one who makes a claim.
Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god.
Atheist don't claim to know for a fact that god doesn't exist.
janetsanders733
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:19:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 2:13:39 AM, reddj2 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 1:58:32 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.


Burden of Proof is on both sides. The claim "God does not exist" Is just as much a claim as "God does exist". They are both knowledge claims that require justification. Atheists need to give some Positive reasons for the non-existence of God.

For example, If you can show something to be a self-contradiction like "There are no Married Bacheolors" that's proving a negative.

There are no 4 sided triangles is also a negative, because it's a self-contradiction.

There are positive reasons for thinking that An advanced civilization doesn't exist on the moon. For 1) We have been on the moon and have observed no civilization that exists 2) The conditions for civilizations to exist on the moon are not possible yet. You would need a lot of water, gravity, food, and oxygen, so if there was an advanced civilzation we would know about because they would need to have contact in order for them to survive on the moon.

No the burden of proof is on the one who makes a claim.
Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god.
Atheist don't claim to know for a fact that god doesn't exist.

Atheism is the non-belief in God. If you don't believe There is no God, then your not an atheist. Theism and Atheism are both knowledge claims. It is the agnostic who witholds knowledge.
reddj2
Posts: 239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:28:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 2:19:54 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 2:13:39 AM, reddj2 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 1:58:32 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.


Burden of Proof is on both sides. The claim "God does not exist" Is just as much a claim as "God does exist". They are both knowledge claims that require justification. Atheists need to give some Positive reasons for the non-existence of God.

For example, If you can show something to be a self-contradiction like "There are no Married Bacheolors" that's proving a negative.

There are no 4 sided triangles is also a negative, because it's a self-contradiction.

There are positive reasons for thinking that An advanced civilization doesn't exist on the moon. For 1) We have been on the moon and have observed no civilization that exists 2) The conditions for civilizations to exist on the moon are not possible yet. You would need a lot of water, gravity, food, and oxygen, so if there was an advanced civilzation we would know about because they would need to have contact in order for them to survive on the moon.

No the burden of proof is on the one who makes a claim.
Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god.
Atheist don't claim to know for a fact that god doesn't exist.

Atheism is the non-belief in God. If you don't believe There is no God, then your not an atheist. Theism and Atheism are both knowledge claims. It is the agnostic who witholds knowledge.
Double negatives broski.
http://actok.org...
janetsanders733
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:34:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 2:28:36 AM, reddj2 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 2:19:54 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 2:13:39 AM, reddj2 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 1:58:32 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.


Burden of Proof is on both sides. The claim "God does not exist" Is just as much a claim as "God does exist". They are both knowledge claims that require justification. Atheists need to give some Positive reasons for the non-existence of God.

For example, If you can show something to be a self-contradiction like "There are no Married Bacheolors" that's proving a negative.

There are no 4 sided triangles is also a negative, because it's a self-contradiction.

There are positive reasons for thinking that An advanced civilization doesn't exist on the moon. For 1) We have been on the moon and have observed no civilization that exists 2) The conditions for civilizations to exist on the moon are not possible yet. You would need a lot of water, gravity, food, and oxygen, so if there was an advanced civilzation we would know about because they would need to have contact in order for them to survive on the moon.

No the burden of proof is on the one who makes a claim.
Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god.
Atheist don't claim to know for a fact that god doesn't exist.

Atheism is the non-belief in God. If you don't believe There is no God, then your not an atheist. Theism and Atheism are both knowledge claims. It is the agnostic who witholds knowledge.
Double negatives broski.
http://actok.org...

Belief/Non-belief is a conclusion based upon knowledge of something. You have a reason for thinking God exists or God does not exist. You thereby need to give some positive reasons for one or the other.

There are only three positions Atheist, Agnostic and Theist. Agnstocism says we can't know. There are no agnostic atheists, agnostic theists, or theist atheists or atheist theists,etc.

Are you an atheist or agnostic?
reddj2
Posts: 239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:49:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/30/2014 2:34:49 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 2:28:36 AM, reddj2 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 2:19:54 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 2:13:39 AM, reddj2 wrote:
At 1/30/2014 1:58:32 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:20:31 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

C'mon..... How many times is there going to be a thread like this? and how many times are we going to have this discussion?

Evidence is incumbent on those making the positive claim. Atheists can argue against this evidence all they like and they should.

What evidence is there for thinking there isn't an advance civilization on the moon?

Obviously the lack of any evidence for an advanced civilization on the moon equates to a lack of reason to believe in such a thing. (and I assume you agree with this, but correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not equating this to belief in god/s, just the idea that someone has to provide evidence for the lack of existence of something.

I have no evidence for the lack of an advanced civilization on the moon, but since there is no evidence in favor of it, I have no reason to believe it.

I'm not an Atheist, but these types of arguments in favor of the negative position having to prove their position is getting ridiculous. If you can't prove the positive assertion it's not the fault of the other side.


Burden of Proof is on both sides. The claim "God does not exist" Is just as much a claim as "God does exist". They are both knowledge claims that require justification. Atheists need to give some Positive reasons for the non-existence of God.

For example, If you can show something to be a self-contradiction like "There are no Married Bacheolors" that's proving a negative.

There are no 4 sided triangles is also a negative, because it's a self-contradiction.

There are positive reasons for thinking that An advanced civilization doesn't exist on the moon. For 1) We have been on the moon and have observed no civilization that exists 2) The conditions for civilizations to exist on the moon are not possible yet. You would need a lot of water, gravity, food, and oxygen, so if there was an advanced civilzation we would know about because they would need to have contact in order for them to survive on the moon.

No the burden of proof is on the one who makes a claim.
Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god.
Atheist don't claim to know for a fact that god doesn't exist.

Atheism is the non-belief in God. If you don't believe There is no God, then your not an atheist. Theism and Atheism are both knowledge claims. It is the agnostic who witholds knowledge.
Double negatives broski.
http://actok.org...

Belief/Non-belief is a conclusion based upon knowledge of something. You have a reason for thinking God exists or God does not exist. You thereby need to give some positive reasons for one or the other.

There are only three positions Atheist, Agnostic and Theist. Agnstocism says we can't know. There are no agnostic atheists, agnostic theists, or theist atheists or atheist theists,etc.

Are you an atheist or agnostic?

There are agnostic atheist aka weak atheist.
http://atheism.about.com...
http://rationalwiki.org...
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 2:54:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

Well no one has seen him. Even the Bible says something to that effect in Deuteronomy. And what partucular God are you arguing for, a generic one or a specific one (presumably Jesus).
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 3:00:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

Which God exactly ? The Christian one I presume.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 7:35:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/29/2014 6:16:38 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/29/2014 3:51:03 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:23:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:20:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 1/27/2014 2:06:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/27/2014 1:59:46 AM, Picard wrote:
At 1/26/2014 10:05:55 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What evidence is there for thinking there isn't a God?

P.S. if you don't have any evidence then you should consider re-evaluating your belief :)

I hope this is just intended as a joke because if it is a genuine thread then I do pity the author.

Why would it be a joke? If theists need to produce evidence for you to believe their claim that God exists, then you should haveto provide evidence for your claim on why we shouldn't believe in God, too. Your philosophical position of evidentialism demands that you provide evidence for any claim, including your own, so produce it or shut up.

Prove unicorns don't exist, supply your evidence.

Well that's simple, no-one has ever observed a horse with a horn on it's head.

Atoms didn't exist until less than 100 years ago.

People had suspicions about them existing before they were discovered to exist, please stop falsifying science to try to score points for your fundie atheist belief-system.

I'm sure that some people suspect that unicorns exist too.

The apparent proof that something doesn't exist is that no one has ever observed it though, according to you. So I think you got the wrong end of the stick, I'm not "falsifying" science, or even trying too, I'm showing that your argument is absurd.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!