Jump to topic:

Atheism and anti-theism are not the same

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2014 12:28:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems many people tend to get atheism and anti-theism confused. It is unfair to assume all atheist share the view of anti-theism. Anti-theists like Hitchens could technically, but not necessarily, be atheists, but they also feel religion is bad. After hearing some of the rhetoric and defensive posturing of a general majority of theists, I can only assume confusion is part of the problem.
Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods
Anti-theist: A person who holds the view that organized religion when considered throughout the centuries has been a destructive force in society.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 12:12:49 PM
At 1/27/2014 12:28:38 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
It seems many people tend to get atheism and anti-theism confused. It is unfair to assume all atheist share the view of anti-theism. Anti-theists like Hitchens could technically, but not necessarily, be atheists, but they also feel religion is bad. After hearing some of the rhetoric and defensive posturing of a general majority of theists, I can only assume confusion is part of the problem.
Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods
Anti-theist: A person who holds the view that organized religion when considered throughout the centuries has been a destructive force in society.

Then most American atheists are anti-theists. And almost 98% of the atheists on this forum are anti-theists. Hmmm, the term anti-theist sounds nicer than militant atheist.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:39:04 PM

I realize that they are two different terms. However, almost all the atheists I know are anti-theists, so after a while, I start assuming that they go hand in hand.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 3:04:53 PM
At 1/28/2014 1:39:04 PM, Romanii wrote:

I realize that they are two different terms. However, almost all the atheists I know are anti-theists, so after a while, I start assuming that they go hand in hand.

Just because atheists disagree with theists over the significance of religion onpersonal life does not mean they think all religion should go away because it poisons everything. That would definitely be exclusively an anti-theist point of view.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:29:14 PM
At 1/28/2014 3:04:53 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Just because atheists disagree with theists over the significance of religion onpersonal life does not mean they think all religion should go away because it poisons everything. That would definitely be exclusively an anti-theist point of view.

A LOT of the atheists I know believe religion is a "poisonous force".
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:34:28 PM
At 1/28/2014 4:29:14 PM, Romanii wrote:

Not to be a jerk, but I can point out that a LOT of the theists I know believe religion based on no rational grounds. Would it be okay, then for me to say that "after a while, I start assuming that they go hand in hand"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:43:29 PM

The atheist just think you're deluded. All of the anti-theists you know believe religion is a poisonous force, and you're deluded.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 5:45:00 PM
At 1/28/2014 4:34:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Not to be a jerk, but I can point out that a LOT of the theists I know believe religion based on no rational grounds. Would it be okay, then for me to say that "after a while, I start assuming that they go hand in hand"?

Fine, you win.