Jump to topic:

Does God Exist?

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 5:52:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was thinking we could have a series of debates between the theists and atheists on this forum.

If the winner is an atheist, then all the atheists here have to swear off this forum for a week. If the theists win, then we have to leave this forum for a week.

Whaddya say?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:13:07 AM
At 1/28/2014 5:52:39 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I was thinking we could have a series of debates between the theists and atheists on this forum.

If the winner is an atheist, then all the atheists here have to swear off this forum for a week. If the theists win, then we have to leave this forum for a week.

Whaddya say?

1, I have no interest in preventing theists from posting their views and discussing them. 2, Why would the winning side leave?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:29:03 AM

Whaddya say?

Define God.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 11:36:34 AM
At 1/28/2014 10:13:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Whaddya say?

2, Why would the winning side leave?

*sigh* I shouldn't write these things at 4 AM. I meant to put that the other way round.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 12:14:59 PM
At 1/28/2014 11:36:34 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 1/28/2014 10:13:07 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Whaddya say?

2, Why would the winning side leave?

*sigh* I shouldn't write these things at 4 AM. I meant to put that the other way round.

lol, get some sleep Bro, but kudos for the honesty.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 12:22:32 PM
At 1/28/2014 10:29:03 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

God is a living force of energy with unfathomable potencies and attributes to vast for the limited human mind to comprehend fully, for this reason it's impossible to fully understand God in his entirety, but a simple explanation would be that God is the sum total of all the energy in existence, either by his internal energy or his external energy. The external energy is considered to be the matter or material energy which makes up our universe, His internal energy is the Supersoul or Spiritual energy, everything in existence came to be by way of expansion of this energy either directly or indirectly, God expands plenary portions of Himself, A plenary portion is something that can emanate from God and be complete in itself whilst God Himself still lacks nothing of His original self.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:09:17 PM
At 1/28/2014 12:22:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

God is a living force of energy with unfathomable potencies and attributes to vast for the limited human mind to comprehend fully, for this reason it's impossible to fully understand God in his entirety, but a simple explanation would be that God is the sum total of all the energy in existence, either by his internal energy or his external energy. The external energy is considered to be the matter or material energy which makes up our universe, His internal energy is the Supersoul or Spiritual energy, everything in existence came to be by way of expansion of this energy either directly or indirectly, God expands plenary portions of Himself, A plenary portion is something that can emanate from God and be complete in itself whilst God Himself still lacks nothing of His original self.

That completely contradicts the classical theistic view of God.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:13:24 PM
At 1/28/2014 1:09:17 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

Ok then, please explain what can exist outside of God or independently of God, In other words, where does the energy that makes up everything in existence come from if not from God.

I think you will find that in the Bible it proclaims that in Him we live and move and have our being.

For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

- Acts 17:28
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:16:28 PM
At 1/28/2014 1:13:24 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

Ok then, please explain what can exist outside of God or independently of God, In other words, where does the energy that makes up everything in existence come from if not from God.

Independently is different than outside of. Nothing can exist without the sustaining cause of God, but that doesn't mean whatever God sustains in being is identical to him. That just doesn't follow.

I think you will find that in the Bible it proclaims that in Him we live and move and have our being.

For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

Yeah, but most of the classical Christian thinkers, and even Muslim thinkers, have said that nothing can exist without God's sustaining cause... Not that we are identical or just a part of God. That's technically pantheism, and not theism.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:23:51 PM
At 1/28/2014 1:16:28 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

Independently is different than outside of. Nothing can exist without the sustaining cause of God, but that doesn't mean whatever God sustains in being is identical to him. That just doesn't follow.

Yeah, but most of the classical Christian thinkers, and even Muslim thinkers, have said that nothing can exist without God's sustaining cause... Not that we are identical or just a part of God. That's technically pantheism, and not theism.

Where did I say we are identical to God? Rather we are made from God and nothing outside of God, as there is nothing that Exists outside of God or independently from God.

As I have shown you scripture from classical theism, we live in and move and have our being in God.

What's your argument. Do you know what a plenary portion means?

It means God is able to emanate from Himself, something that is complete in itself, and yet God still lacks nothing In Himself.

You still haven't answered where the energy that makes up everything in existence comes from if it's not God's energy.

Be careful now, I never said that the plenary portions are identical to God, I said that the energy is an expansion Of God's energy.
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:26:49 PM
I was thinking we could have a series of debates between the theists and atheists on this forum .

DANG !!!! .. what an origional thought .. nice to try something new
And he (God) gave some apostles .. and some prophets .. and some evangelists .. and some teaching pastors .. for the perfecting of the saints .. for the work of the ministry .. for the edifying of the body of Christ .. till we all come in the unity of the faith .. and of the knowledge of the Son of God .. to a perfect (complete) man .. to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ . . . . Ephesians 4:12 .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. come and learn
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 1:33:58 PM
Does God Exist? .

Well .. If God does not exist . . . then the atheist are going to have to explain how design originated from "non" design . . . how "intelligence" derives from "mindlessness"
And he (God) gave some apostles .. and some prophets .. and some evangelists .. and some teaching pastors .. for the perfecting of the saints .. for the work of the ministry .. for the edifying of the body of Christ .. till we all come in the unity of the faith .. and of the knowledge of the Son of God .. to a perfect (complete) man .. to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ . . . . Ephesians 4:12 .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. come and learn
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:18:19 PM

Whaddya say?

Define God.

What I mean is, what is the bare-minimum required to call X God? A mind responsible for the reality we observe?
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:36:40 PM
At 1/28/2014 2:29:56 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
Answering the title, what a silly question ?! what would exist if God didn't exist ??

Everything around us. Why?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:37:34 PM
At 1/28/2014 2:36:40 PM, DudeStop wrote:
Answering the title, what a silly question ?! what would exist if God didn't exist ??

What is time ?
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:40:21 PM
At 1/28/2014 2:37:34 PM, Fruitytree wrote:

What is time ?

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

This should help. Any other questions?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 2:59:39 PM
At 1/28/2014 2:40:21 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 2:37:34 PM, Fruitytree wrote:

What is time ?

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

This should help. Any other questions?

Please give me a definition not a link.. so we can go on.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 3:21:56 PM
How about we agree it cannot be done either way, and we all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:01:44 PM

Whaddya say?

Define God.

It's not confirmed yet but it's probable that the net energy of the universe is ZERO. That means it's possible to have "self-contained universe without needing any energy at all."--Caltech cosmologist Sean Carroll

Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:02:38 PM
At 1/28/2014 3:21:56 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
How about we agree it cannot be done either way, and we all hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"?

No.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:05:03 PM
At 1/28/2014 4:02:38 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

No.

Lol! Is that a 'no' to agree, kumbaya, or both?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 4:06:37 PM
At 1/28/2014 4:05:03 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 1/28/2014 4:02:38 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

No.

Lol! Is that a 'no' to agree, kumbaya, or both?

Both.

Niel deGrasse Tyson
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 9:57:45 AM
At 1/28/2014 2:18:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

What I mean is, what is the bare-minimum required to call X God? A mind responsible for the reality we observe?

Could you rephrase the question?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:03:04 AM
At 1/28/2014 4:01:44 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

It's not confirmed yet but it's probable that the net energy of the universe is ZERO. That means it's possible to have "self-contained universe without needing any energy at all."--Caltech cosmologist Sean Carroll

High hopes on proving E=mc2 false.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:06:39 AM
Of course he does.
We were nattering away with the fairies at the bottom of my garden just a little while ago.
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 10:16:07 AM
At 1/29/2014 10:03:04 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 1/28/2014 4:01:44 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

Whaddya say?

Define God.

High hopes on proving E=mc2 false.

Sorry but E=Mc^2 is still true.

Niel deGrasse Tyson