Jump to topic:

Modern Additions to Biblical Canon

bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 6:20:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This thread is for people who believe in the trustworthiness and infallible nature of the Bible, or at least of the Old Testament.

The Old Testament ends with Malachi, though probably not chronologically. The New Testament ends with the Book of Revelation.
My question is: do you think that in the modern day, or in any period from the writing of the last Canon book of the Bible to now, there has been or will be the creation of another book of the Bible that is divinely inspired and therefore Canon? If not, is it at least possible?

P.S. I politely ask Biomystic and Bornofgod not to participate here.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 6:40:03 PM
At 1/29/2014 6:20:53 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
This thread is for people who believe in the trustworthiness and infallible nature of the Bible, or at least of the Old Testament.

The Old Testament ends with Malachi, though probably not chronologically. The New Testament ends with the Book of Revelation.
My question is: do you think that in the modern day, or in any period from the writing of the last Canon book of the Bible to now, there has been or will be the creation of another book of the Bible that is divinely inspired and therefore Canon? If not, is it at least possible?

I seriously doubt it.

My main reason for believing so is that Christianity is not a unified religion.
There would most definitely be some sects believing that the new book is divinely inspired, while other sects would be claiming that whoever wrote the new book is Satan in disguise.

Also, many Christians really like tradition, so they probably would not take kindly to having a modern addition to the ancient document that the Bible is.

I don't believe in the infallibility of the Bible, but those are just my conclusions based on the current state of Christianity.

Your forum topics are pretty interesting.
Keep it up! :D
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:15:32 PM
I recently read a book called The Heresy of Orthodoxy. Somewhere in that book, they made the point that whenever God establishes a covenant, there are always inspired documents that go with it. Since Christ initiated a new covenant, the early Christians expected new documents to be added to the canon of scripture.

With that reasoning, we shouldn't expect new documents unless God initiates an even newer covenant. But, of course, God can do whatever he wants. If he wants to inspire new books, he can. But we have no reason to expect that he will.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:39:32 PM
At 1/29/2014 6:40:03 PM, Romanii wrote:

I seriously doubt it.

There would most definitely be some sects believing that the new book is divinely inspired, while other sects would be claiming that whoever wrote the new book is Satan in disguise.

Also, many Christians really like tradition, so they probably would not take kindly to having a modern addition to the ancient document that the Bible is.

I don't believe in the infallibility of the Bible, but those are just my conclusions based on the current state of Christianity.

I agree, good job with the topic. It is thought provoking.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:49:39 PM
This is the another problem of religion that is solved by special pleading.

They want you to accept certain writing/claim as divinely inspired. But they know full well later on anyone can claim oh here is some more divinely inspired writings. Those later writings might even claim that earlier writings were wrong or interpretative wrongly.

The way around this is to merely assert that their will be no new writings. that is to say this is the last revelation.

There is another double standard here, people love making assertions about what is possible or not for God.

It's possible that God allowed that child to burn to death because........xyz.

But then at the same time they take away possibly from God, no God isn't going to make any new books or writings this "book/writing" is the last one.

Also note once again it's human making the claims, on Gods behalf, hey would they lie to you ?

The Gospel of West Bro Baptist....

And it came to pass that the Lord saw the wickedness of two consenting adults of the same sex being allowed to marry in the once great USA. So the Lord sent his servants to preach to stop this evil.But lo, they were mocked, and would not listen.

The word of the Lord came to me and said, yeah I don't mind the whole rich elite thing and I will look the other way on that whole child rape thing, but the people have pushed my limits. So behold I send a hurricane to new Orleans and kill and drown people within it. And then people will know how angry I am at same sex marriage.

And some peoples hearts were changed, and they voted republican, and the people rejoiced. And from that day the people every time there was a weather event the gays were blamed and all was right with the world.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 4:44:15 PM
At 1/29/2014 8:49:39 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

They want you to accept certain writing/claim as divinely inspired. But they know full well later on anyone can claim oh here is some more divinely inspired writings. Those later writings might even claim that earlier writings were wrong or interpretative wrongly.

The way around this is to merely assert that their will be no new writings. that is to say this is the last revelation.

There is another double standard here, people love making assertions about what is possible or not for God.

But then at the same time they take away possibly from God, no God isn't going to make any new books or writings this "book/writing" is the last one.

Also note once again it's human making the claims, on Gods behalf, hey would they lie to you ?

And it came to pass that the Lord saw the wickedness of two consenting adults of the same sex being allowed to marry in the once great USA. So the Lord sent his servants to preach to stop this evil.But lo, they were mocked, and would not listen.

The word of the Lord came to me and said, yeah I don't mind the whole rich elite thing and I will look the other way on that whole child rape thing, but the people have pushed my limits. So behold I send a hurricane to new Orleans and kill and drown people within it. And then people will know how angry I am at same sex marriage.

And some peoples hearts were changed, and they voted republican, and the people rejoiced. And from that day the people every time there was a weather event the gays were blamed and all was right with the world.

This thread wasn't made so that people like you could criticize the Bible. It was made to discuss the subject of future additions to Biblical Canon.
Anyhow, I'll answer you.

A. I believe you're referring to the Westboro Baptist Church..
B. Yeah, sexual immorality is immoral. That's why it's called sexual immorality.
C. Child rape is perpetrated by humans, not God. You don't accuse the police of murder when a criminal kills someone, do you? And yes, He would consider child rape to be wrong. However, child rape is not legal in the US.
D. As for the whole rich elite thing, if you don't like corporations, make sure you're self employed. And don't hire anyone. The rich elite are simply people who've expanded their businesses and have gained wealth. Most of them have made their money fair and square, unless you're referring to politicians.
E. I'm pretty sure that Hurricane Katrina is just that: a hurricane. However, America's decline is due to the fact that it has abandoned God and His principles. Homosexuality is a symptom, not the problem itself, though it is a very serious symptom.
F. The Republicans themselves are not necessarily good. Conservatism by itself isn't necessarily good. However, these groups have aligned themselves with Biblical principles more than other groups, and thus for Christians they are the best group to side with. Not to say that they're perfect, because they have flaws too.

If you want to insult Christianity, make your own "Let's Bash Christians" thread.
Have a good day.
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2014 4:53:45 PM
Pauline Christianity is an insult to Christianity. It's not possible to render Biblical Canon anymore obsolete than it already is no matter what curses are put on later visionaries. Far more time has elapsed between the ending of the New Testament now than between the Old Testament and the New. It's time for a change and that change has arrived because dear believers,

God is God of the Living, not the dead.
LAZARUS77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 5:50:42 AM
At 1/30/2014 4:53:45 PM, biomystic wrote:
Pauline Christianity is an insult to Christianity. It's not possible to render Biblical Canon anymore obsolete than it already is no matter what curses are put on later visionaries. Far more time has elapsed between the ending of the New Testament now than between the Old Testament and the New. It's time for a change and that change has arrived because dear believers,

Dude there is a rule here:
"P.S. I politely ask Biomystic and Bornofgod not to participate here."

you are not belong here go away you filthy :D
No man is a true believer unless he desires for his brother that, what he desires for himself. - Prophet Muhammad saw
LAZARUS77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 5:58:15 AM

That is what muslims believe... all the prophets are inspired by God but all books
( the Quran speaks about Torah of Moses, Gospel of Jesus and Psalm of David ) were corrupted. So the last revaletion is the Quran and will not be change/corrupt until the last day, this is the muslim position in short...
No man is a true believer unless he desires for his brother that, what he desires for himself. - Prophet Muhammad saw
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 6:04:41 AM
At 1/30/2014 4:44:15 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

This thread wasn't made so that people like you could criticize the Bible. It was made to discuss the subject of future additions to Biblical Canon.
Anyhow, I'll answer you.

My main criticism here was actually against the special pleading nature of people who want to assert that some revelation..........is the last one.

B. Yeah, sexual immorality is immoral. That's why it's called sexual immorality.
C. Child rape is perpetrated by humans, not God. You don't accuse the police of murder when a criminal kills someone, do you? And yes, He would consider child rape to be wrong. However, child rape is not legal in the US.

What the hell are you going on about. Is this the best you could come up with in response to my point about people just making up what is or is not possible to God ? If you can't argue the point then fine, but don't go off into a tangent and lie to yourself you rebutted the point ok ?

Oh and thanks for informing me of what God does and does not approve of.

D. As for the whole rich elite thing, if you don't like corporations, make sure you're self employed. And don't hire anyone. The rich elite are simply people who've expanded their businesses and have gained wealth. Most of them have made their money fair and square, unless you're referring to politicians.

I don't have a problem with anyone who is rich cause they worked hard. The problem if some one is rich or maintains their richness by rigging the game. In any given economy wealth is created by work, but where exactly and to whom exactly that wealth ends up is another question.

Long story short, who gets wealth is NOT determined by who works the hardest.

E. I'm pretty sure that Hurricane Katrina is just that: a hurricane. However, America's decline is due to the fact that it has abandoned God and His principles. Homosexuality is a symptom, not the problem itself, though it is a very serious symptom.

Well it great you can get rid of things just because you deem it against God. Eg: homosexuality. I am sure you have a long list of such things that are against God.

F. The Republicans themselves are not necessarily good. Conservatism by itself isn't necessarily good. However, these groups have aligned themselves with Biblical principles more than other groups, and thus for Christians they are the best group to side with. Not to say that they're perfect, because they have flaws too.

No, for the most part "religion" and fighting "immorality" is just a distraction while they maintain a system that entrenches their own privileged.

If you want to insult Christianity, make your own "Let's Bash Christians" thread.
Have a good day.

If you want to ignore my main argument and goes off onto another tangent.......
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 6:06:25 AM
At 1/29/2014 6:40:03 PM, Romanii wrote:

I seriously doubt it.

Romanii, I come from a school of thought that says the reason why Christianity isn't unified ( and has so many internal conflicts ) is because God intentionally set it up that way, to communicate to people that the religion only hides a truth, and is not accurate as most christians believe it is. I think God wants humankind to look to the words and wisdom of Jesus, and so that is why he's given christianity so much weight. But simultaneously the many variations and powerful conflict in Christianity is also a testament to the fact that the religion is wrong. Jesus has so many unique and different roles among the Christian religions that they obviously can't all be right.

Personally, I think God has intentionally set it up this way. Jesus is an important foundation for mankind and morality, but at the same time the view that he is a savior, a God, the eliminator of sins, the solitary bridge between God and this world is wrong.

Jesus just isn't any of these in any literal sense.

I also feel this way with respect to other religions. God has set them up, but there are wrong. And it's done this way to educate the human species over the long run - in others it's a path God has to take to teach us crucial lessons if intelligent life is to survive on this planet.

To me the Bible is yesterday's holy book, which served a purpose, but it's now quickly becoming obsolete as humankind learns more diverse and more accurate crucial lessons in the world.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 6:16:37 AM
Corrections to my previous post:

Romanii, I come from a school of thought that says the reason why Christianity isn't unified ( and has so many internal conflicts ) is because God intentionally set it up that way, to communicate to people that the religion only hides a truth, and is not accurate as most christians believe it is. I think God wants humankind to look to the words and wisdom of Jesus, and so that is why he's given christianity so much weight. But simultaneously the many variations and powerful conflicts inside of Christianity are also a testament to the fact that the religion is essentially wrong. Jesus has so many unique and different roles among the Christian religions that they obviously can't all be right.

Personally, I think God has intentionally set it up this way, which may seem malicious on his part but I think it actually serves a useful purpose for mankind. Jesus is an important foundation for our morality, but at the same time the view that he is a savior, a God, the eliminator of sins, the solitary bridge between God and this world is wrong.

Jesus just isn't any of these in any literal sense.

I also feel this way with respect to other religions. God has set them up, but they are fundamentally wrong when it comes to the actual truth. And it's done this way to educate the human species over the long run - in others words, it's a path humankind has to take to learn crucial lessons if intelligent life is to survive on this planet (and possibly spread off of it).

To me religions should progress and change as more valid truths are uncovered. Just like science, religion needs to get updated from time to time, and this is the reason I feel that God has planted so many different religions in the world - to intentionally get us argue and to reach more rational truths about his universe and our world, and our place in it!

To me the Bible is a holy book - but it's yesterday's holy book! It served a beneficial purpose hundreds of years ago, and some of the wisdom in it is still very useful. But many of its assertions are wrong, and so the Bible has to be looked upon as becoming more and more obsolete.

New moral and scientific truths are being uncovered and as they do we have a responsibility to incorporate them into our religious knowledge, so that we advance as a civilization.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 6:24:15 AM
At 1/31/2014 5:58:15 AM, LAZARUS77 wrote:

That is what muslims believe... all the prophets are inspired by God but all books
( the Quran speaks about Torah of Moses, Gospel of Jesus and Psalm of David ) were corrupted. So the last revaletion is the Quran and will not be change/corrupt until the last day, this is the muslim position in short...

Did Allah hand the Injeel to Jesus?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 12:37:38 PM
At 1/31/2014 6:04:41 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/30/2014 4:44:15 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

Anyhow, I'll answer you.

My main criticism here was actually against the special pleading nature of people who want to assert that some revelation..........is the last one.

What the hell are you going on about. Is this the best you could come up with in response to my point about people just making up what is or is not possible to God ? If you can't argue the point then fine, but don't go off into a tangent and lie to yourself you rebutted the point ok ?

Oh and thanks for informing me of what God does and does not approve of.

I don't have a problem with anyone who is rich cause they worked hard. The problem if some one is rich or maintains their richness by rigging the game. In any given economy wealth is created by work, but where exactly and to whom exactly that wealth ends up is another question.

Long story short, who gets wealth is NOT determined by who works the hardest.

Well it great you can get rid of things just because you deem it against God. Eg: homosexuality. I am sure you have a long list of such things that are against God.

No, for the most part "religion" and fighting "immorality" is just a distraction while they maintain a system that entrenches their own privileged.

Have a good day.

If you want to ignore my main argument and goes off onto another tangent.......

1. If you're referring to the Bible, no one in the Bible said that Revelation was the last book.
2. Yes, I do believe I've countered a point that you made. And I did not "go off on a tangent." And I was talking about something else you said when I referred to this.
Pertaining to people saying theirs is the last revelation, I don't think Christianity ever did this, nor did Judaism, and probably not Islam. We all agree that Westboro Baptist Church is nuts.
3. Yes, there are people who rig the game. Gaining wealth should work something like this: you start a business. You hire workers for your business. Then, your business is making a profit, and that single restaurant/factory/store should be managed well enough that you don't have to be there 24/7. Then, you expand, make another restaurant/factory/store somewhere else, and it makes a profit. This one is also well managed, so you don't have to be there often. these two businesses double your income. Then, you open another one and another one and establish a chain, and you have people who can manage each individual one for you. Your income is quite large because of all the successful restaurants/factories/stores that you have all over the place. I know this is a simplified explanation, but that's pretty much how it works. You have to be smart, and be willing to take risks and receive a loan from the bank, to make your business successful. No one is oppressed, and there's nothing wrong with money made this way. This is what capitalism should look like.
Granted, there are people who make their money through dishonest means. These people should be found and dealt with appropriately.
4. Who says that homosexuality is wrong, you may ask? The answer to that question is Jesus, Muhammed, and others.

Yeah, I think I answered most of these, and I did not go off "on a tangent."
However, considering what you said, you're right that you cannot trust someone who says his revelation is the last. However, something out there is THE TRUTH, and everything cannot be right.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 3:11:02 PM
Anyhow, to make this thread more interesting, if a Prophet of God appeared in today's America, what do you think he would say? Would he compile the words of God given to him into a book?
LAZARUS77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 3:34:07 PM
At 1/31/2014 3:11:02 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Anyhow, to make this thread more interesting, if a Prophet of God appeared in today's America, what do you think he would say? Would he compile the words of God given to him into a book?

Dont worry some people will follow such a guy... see this someone from russia claim to be Jesus himself and he has 4000 followers lol
https://www.youtube.com...
LAZARUS77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 3:38:28 PM
At 1/31/2014 6:24:15 AM, bulproof wrote:

Did Allah hand the Injeel to Jesus?

you asking that and using arabic terms.... -_-
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 3:56:09 PM

What do Muslims think of the New Testament?
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:05:12 PM

Since the New Testament is largely the work of men, and not alleged to have been written by/sent down to Jesus, Muslims would regard it as nonsense.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:16:35 PM

I guess you could start here.
http://www.gnosis.org...
So is it possible? I would say yes.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:16:46 PM
At 1/31/2014 4:05:12 PM, HPWKA wrote:

Since the New Testament is largely the work of men, and not alleged to have been written by/sent down to Jesus, Muslims would regard it as nonsense.

No offense to Muslims, but the New Testament was written 600 years before the Quran. And it was written by multiple people. The Quran was written by one man. For all we know he could've made it all up.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:19:14 PM
At 1/30/2014 4:53:45 PM, biomystic wrote:

I thought you were asked politely to please stay out of it.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:22:31 PM
My question to you would be whether or not you believed he/she was indeed a prophet of god, or a false prophet? And would it matter what he/she said?
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:26:14 PM
At 1/31/2014 4:22:31 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
My question to you would be whether or not you believed he/she was indeed a prophet of god, or a false prophet? And would it matter what he/she said?

First of all, I'd have to make sure that what they said lined up with the teachings of the Bible. If not, then the guy would be a false prophet. If so, he might just be a Biblically sound preacher who claims to be a prophet.
Really, I suppose that you couldn't really know whether or not such a person was a prophet.
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:32:04 PM

No offense to Muslims, but the New Testament was written 600 years before the Quran. And it was written by multiple people. The Quran was written by one man. For all we know he could've made it all up.

How long ago a religious book was written is immaterial, and the fact that multiple people wrote the New Testament is why Muslims regard it as nonsense.

You are very correct, in that Muhammad could have made it all up, as could every "author" of religious books could have. But Muslims believe that since the Quran originated from the alleged Prophet of God (Muhammad), the Quran is likely reliable, especially compared to the New Testament, which was written by non-Prophets years after the death of Jesus (the real Prophet during that time).
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:34:36 PM
At 1/31/2014 4:26:14 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 1/31/2014 4:22:31 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:

First of all, I'd have to make sure that what they said lined up with the teachings of the Bible.
Sure, but Satan is the great deceiver.
If not, then the guy would be a false prophet.
I guess if the preaching were that overt.
If so, he might just be a Biblically sound preacher who claims to be a prophet.
That would suck for such a biblically sound individual to sin.
Really, I suppose that you couldn't really know whether or not such a person was a prophet.
And this is actually why I asked. I don't think that you would know. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. It could lead to some serious problems for religious people, to follow anybody claiming to be a prophet. I would hate to see for somebody pledging their lives to god and ultimately be deceived by a false prophet, because god will eventually judge those individuals as deserving of hell. That said, I'll stick by my original statement that texts could be added to the bible, but I don't think any ever would for this reason. Hope that all made sense! :)
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:36:31 PM

I'm the only saint on this planet who knows the answer to your question and you tell me NOT to participate. You're a fool.

I've been witnessing and testifying for our Creator since June 16th, 2008 and only chosen believers will connect with the knowledge I know, I guess our Creator left you out of this group.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:43:12 PM
At 1/31/2014 4:36:31 PM, bornofgod wrote:

I'm the only saint on this planet who knows the answer to your question and you tell me NOT to participate. You're a fool.

I've been witnessing and testifying for our Creator since June 16th, 2008 and only chosen believers will connect with the knowledge I know, I guess our Creator left you out of this group.

All right then, Bornofgod. I raise a challenge to you. Tell me exactly what you believe.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:55:44 PM
At 1/31/2014 6:16:37 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Corrections to my previous post:

Romanii, I come from a school of thought that says the reason why Christianity isn't unified ( and has so many internal conflicts ) is because God intentionally set it up that way, to communicate to people that the religion only hides a truth, and is not accurate as most christians believe it is. I think God wants humankind to look to the words and wisdom of Jesus, and so that is why he's given christianity so much weight. But simultaneously the many variations and powerful conflicts inside of Christianity are also a testament to the fact that the religion is essentially wrong. Jesus has so many unique and different roles among the Christian religions that they obviously can't all be right.

I beg to differ.
The differences between the various sects of Christianity are so trivial that it's almost ridiculous that Christians have fought so much over them.

I also feel this way with respect to other religions. God has set them up, but they are fundamentally wrong when it comes to the actual truth. And it's done this way to educate the human species over the long run - in others words, it's a path humankind has to take to learn crucial lessons if intelligent life is to survive on this planet (and possibly spread off of it).

I believe in Universal Religion.
That all religions are true paths to the one, true Lord of the Universe.
That "Yahweh", "Jehovah", "Allah", "Brahma", and "Waheguru" are just different names for that one Divine Consciousness.
That all religions in essence preach the same thing with only superficial differences in ritual and God's nature (as if anyone really knows the answer to that).
Why would an all-powerful entity care so much about such trivial differences?

To me religions should progress and change as more valid truths are uncovered. Just like science, religion needs to get updated from time to time...

*Complete agreement*

...and this is the reason I feel that God has planted so many different religions in the world - to intentionally get us argue and to reach more rational truths about his universe and our world, and our place in it!

I think God put all these religions here so that we could choose the one which best suits us in our quest for salvation.

To me the Bible is a holy book - but it's yesterday's holy book! It served a beneficial purpose hundreds of years ago, and some of the wisdom in it is still very useful. But many of its assertions are wrong, and so the Bible has to be looked upon as becoming more and more obsolete.

Definitely.
The Bible cannot be taken literally.
However, this means that all Christian claims to exclusivity are baseless!
All religions can be true!

New moral and scientific truths are being uncovered and as they do we have a responsibility to incorporate them into our religious knowledge, so that we advance as a civilization.

I agree.
Religion and science are most definitely compatible.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 4:56:13 PM
At 1/31/2014 4:43:12 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 1/31/2014 4:36:31 PM, bornofgod wrote:

All right then, Bornofgod. I raise a challenge to you. Tell me exactly what you believe.
I'll tell you right now. He doesn't believe. He KNOWS. End statement. Why do you entertain him? Ignore him, and he may go away.