Jump to topic:

Bill Nye vs Ken Ham Tomorrow

Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 6:54:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Just making sure you guys knows there will be a debate tomorrow (Feb. 4 at 7 PM ET) that will be showed live with Bill Nye and Ken Ham. Really hope Bill knows how to debate and isn't too nice.
Link:
http://debatelive.org...
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 7:40:30 PM
I am very interested. I had been hearing about it for a while. I thought it had already happened.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 8:16:18 PM
At 2/3/2014 8:08:22 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Go win this, Ken Ham!

Rip Ken Ham to shreds Bill Nye!
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 8:16:45 PM
At 2/3/2014 6:54:41 PM, Orangatang wrote:
Just making sure you guys knows there will be a debate tomorrow (Feb. 4 at 7 PM ET) that will be showed live with Bill Nye and Ken Ham. Really hope Bill knows how to debate and isn't too nice.
Link:

What's it about? Creationism?
dawndawndawndawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:04:13 AM
This is a link for an IQ test:

http://www.mbti123.com...

I offer that we start with the IQ test before the debate to see who's supporters
have anything to support with.

I got 160, babes!
dawndawndawndawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:06:23 AM
At 2/4/2014 12:04:13 AM, dawndawndawndawn wrote:

I offer that we start with the IQ test before the debate to see who's supporters

I got 160, babes!
(if it comes out with the ellipses on the end ( dots ) it is suppose to have /iq/en
after the .com part )
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:23:01 AM
Ken Ham's argument.

goddidit.

thank you.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:29:30 AM
At 2/3/2014 6:54:41 PM, Orangatang wrote:
Link:

Wow, totally forgot. I will have to try to stream this. It could go really good or really bad. Some think credible scientists should not debate creationists but Bill Nye was the host of a kid's show so maybe it's appropriate that he take on a topic like this explaining the basics to deniers.

Ken ham is also a good public speaker and may be able to work the audience better.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:41:22 AM

I got 160, babes!

Damn got 160 also, this isn't a good IQ test though, no timer.
dawndawndawndawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 1:03:18 AM
At 2/4/2014 12:41:22 AM, Orangatang wrote:

I got 160, babes!

...timer...good point!

YAY for 160s!
The Mensa test is a decent test
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 1:44:21 AM
Basically my view:

"Nye is either going to get destroyed by Ken Ham or at least grow extremely frustrated with Ham"s tactics.

I hope I"m wrong, but I"m not (unless I am, but we"ll need to wait and see).

Nye seems to think he is walking into a debate of some sort over science, and that presenting the data will, if not prove victorious, at least put a dent into Ham"s armor.

It won"t. Nye is strolling into a well-tuned, battle-tested, apologetic war machine.

Nye and Ham won"t even be able to agree on what the data are, what science is, and what it means to interpret evidence. Ham will make sure of that.

This is a debate over worldviews, and they get nasty quickly and go nowhere.

Ham is a master of crowd manipulation, with a long and documented track record of interpreting his opponents in the worst possible light, twisting data and logic, and other passive-aggressive debate tactics (praise God).

Ham can"t and won"t give one square inch on his science because if he does his finely tuned worldview will crumble to the ground"a worldview that includes deeply held (and erroneous) views of God and the Bible.

No one who thinks he has a handle on reality as Ham feels he does is actually capable of debate. Such types only lecture, declare, and prophesy.

Ham needs his theology just the way it is in order to maintain his strong grip on his understanding of reality. His theology requires a science that supports biblical literalism. Failure in this regard is not an option for Ham.

If Nye wants to debate, he"s got a week to study theology and hermeneutics so he can address Ham"s unexamined and faulty premises that allow him to handle science as he does.

Nye is clear that he has no delusions of convincing Ham. The debate presumably is aimed at dissuading those who listen to Ham. That may work, for a small number who are already questioning Ham"s agenda, and that alone may be worth the effort.

That being said, this debate strikes me not simply as a general waste of time, but a win-win for Ham.

Ham is an immovable force. He will not in any conceivable universe "lose" the debate, and simply being debated by Nye will give Ham credibility in the eyes of those who might otherwise have successfully navigated past Ham"s treacherous port and found a true and living faith elsewhere.

The ideal opponent, if a debate were unavoidable, would be (1) a theistic evolutionist, who (2) doesn"t lose his/her cool, but (3) isn"t above giving hard punches to the gut, and who (4) knows his/her way around theology, hermeneutics, and the history of Christian thought to expose to a larger crowd was is self-evident to most everyone else:

Ham is not capable of true debate, and his views are not worth debating to begin with."

http://www.patheos.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
dawndawndawndawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 1:54:06 AM
At 2/4/2014 1:44:21 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Basically my view:

"Nye is either going to get destroyed by Ken Ham or at least grow extremely frustrated with Ham"s tactics.

Nye seems to think he is walking into a debate of some sort over science, and that presenting the data will, if not prove victorious, at least put a dent into Ham"s armor.

It won"t. Nye is strolling into a well-tuned, battle-tested, apologetic war machine.

Nye and Ham won"t even be able to agree on what the data are, what science is, and what it means to interpret evidence. Ham will make sure of that.

Ham is a master of crowd manipulation, with a long and documented track record of interpreting his opponents in the worst possible light, twisting data and logic, and other passive-aggressive debate tactics (praise God).

Ham can"t and won"t give one square inch on his science because if he does his finely tuned worldview will crumble to the ground"a worldview that includes deeply held (and erroneous) views of God and the Bible.

No one who thinks he has a handle on reality as Ham feels he does is actually capable of debate. Such types only lecture, declare, and prophesy.

Ham needs his theology just the way it is in order to maintain his strong grip on his understanding of reality. His theology requires a science that supports biblical literalism. Failure in this regard is not an option for Ham.

If Nye wants to debate, he"s got a week to study theology and hermeneutics so he can address Ham"s unexamined and faulty premises that allow him to handle science as he does.

Nye is clear that he has no delusions of convincing Ham. The debate presumably is aimed at dissuading those who listen to Ham. That may work, for a small number who are already questioning Ham"s agenda, and that alone may be worth the effort.

That being said, this debate strikes me not simply as a general waste of time, but a win-win for Ham.

Ham is an immovable force. He will not in any conceivable universe "lose" the debate, and simply being debated by Nye will give Ham credibility in the eyes of those who might otherwise have successfully navigated past Ham"s treacherous port and found a true and living faith elsewhere.

The ideal opponent, if a debate were unavoidable, would be (1) a theistic evolutionist, who (2) doesn"t lose his/her cool, but (3) isn"t above giving hard punches to the gut, and who (4) knows his/her way around theology, hermeneutics, and the history of Christian thought to expose to a larger crowd was is self-evident to most everyone else:

Ham is not capable of true debate, and his views are not worth debating to begin with."

I've not known Nye to get hot.
The very tension is going to yield up, at least, two sentences that come from reality and can't be unknown once known about which, once grasped,
one must dismantle and rebuild or dismantle and die.

I think that Nye knows that sentences that can do that come in a squeeze like that
and
that Nye IS doing loads of great homework.
dawndawndawndawn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 2:35:42 AM
If this, youtube, aronra, thinks that he can slam Ham,...
please, dude, help Nye!

This is too important to sit out!

Please!
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 3:26:16 AM
At 2/4/2014 2:35:42 AM, dawndawndawndawn wrote:
If this, youtube, aronra, thinks that he can slam Ham,...
please, dude, help Nye!

This is too important to sit out!

Please!

Lol.
entropy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:59:56 AM
Could someone share a streaming link that is not from debatelive.org?
I noticed they are affiliated directly with the creation musuem.
This will only be a factor if they aren't streaming advertisements, propaganda or doing "color commentary". I would like to know the stream I pick is just of the debate it's self.
Thanks in advance.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 4:07:36 PM
At 2/4/2014 6:59:56 AM, entropy wrote:
Could someone share a streaming link that is not from debatelive.org?
I noticed they are affiliated directly with the creation musuem.
This will only be a factor if they aren't streaming advertisements, propaganda or doing "color commentary". I would like to know the stream I pick is just of the debate it's self.
Thanks in advance.

Here is one on foraTV: http://fora.tv...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 5:59:53 PM
At 2/4/2014 1:03:18 AM, dawndawndawndawn wrote:

I got 160, babes!

...timer...good point!

YAY for 160s!

Are you sure? I got a 160 too...
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:09:15 PM
At 2/4/2014 1:44:21 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Basically my view:

Bullcrap. Ken Ham's a perfectly fine debater and scientist. Of course, though, according to you anyway, he must be a manipulative liar if he's a creationist scientist. I can assure you that creationist scientists exist, though I admit there are only a few, and just because they go against what the crowd believes doesn't mean they're pseudo-scientists or liars.
I am confident Ken Ham can hold his ground against Bill Nye without manipulating anybody or changing the subject.
dvande28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:10:37 PM
At 2/4/2014 5:59:53 PM, Romanii wrote:

I got 160, babes!

...timer...good point!

YAY for 160s!

Yeah a 20 question quiz with your IQ being 10 times the number of questions you answer correctly is not a very accurate test. Not to mention this test is obviously too easy, as I got 170.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:12:16 PM
At 2/4/2014 6:10:37 PM, dvande28 wrote:
At 2/4/2014 5:59:53 PM, Romanii wrote:

I got 160, babes!

...timer...good point!

YAY for 160s!

Yeah a 20 question quiz with your IQ being 10 times the number of questions you answer correctly is not a very accurate test. Not to mention this test is obviously too easy, as I got 170.

Yeah... and didn't Einstein have an IQ of about 160?
I seriously doubt I'm as smart as him...
dvande28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:18:13 PM
Great, Ham is appealing to authority on creationism. Just because some scientists believe in creation, does not make it a valid theory.
dvande28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:45:27 PM
I want to know where he got the idea of observational science vs historical science. He has also yet to provide any proof as to why creationism is correct, just failing at trying to prove evolution wrong.