Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Prove atheism is true

AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 11:32:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

How do you define gods?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:00:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 11:32:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

How do you define gods?

According to the first definition of "God" in the Oxford English Dictionary.
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:04:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:00:23 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/4/2014 11:32:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

How do you define gods?

According to the first definition of "God" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

So you don't have a definition for god you rely on a dictionary to do your thinking for you?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:13:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:04:43 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:00:23 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/4/2014 11:32:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

How do you define gods?

According to the first definition of "God" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

So you don't have a definition for god you rely on a dictionary to do your thinking for you?

I believe in a deistic God. I don't have to consult Holy Books to do my thinking for me.
Picard
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:33:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

This topic has been done to death, anyone with an ounce of logic knows that this question is foolish, please stop bringing up the same point that has been proven illogical time and time again.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:39:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 1:33:45 AM, Picard wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

This topic has been done to death, anyone with an ounce of logic knows that this question is foolish, please stop bringing up the same point that has been proven illogical time and time again.

Why is it illogical to ask people why they deny the existence of God(s)? I am merely asking for some reason why people refuse to believe in God(s). The atheist has as much of a burden of proof as the theist. Both sides carry a burden of proof since both make a claim. Any intellectual atheist will acknowledge this.
JimDavis
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:39:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:13:51 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:04:43 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:00:23 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/4/2014 11:32:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

How do you define gods?

According to the first definition of "God" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

So you don't have a definition for god you rely on a dictionary to do your thinking for you?

I believe in a deistic God. I don't have to consult Holy Books to do my thinking for me.

Well, the first definition of God in the online Oxford Dictionary is:

1 (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

Is this the definition you want to use? As a deist, do you also see God as the source of all moral authority?

This is relevant because I'd only bring up issues related to the problem of evil if you see God as a moral being, and especially if you see him as all-good and all-powerful.

We also should agree on a definition for atheism. Do you mean someone who merely does not believe in god (often called agnostic atheism), or someone who makes the positive claim that no god exists (hard atheism)?
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 3:17:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 1:39:21 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/5/2014 1:33:45 AM, Picard wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

This topic has been done to death, anyone with an ounce of logic knows that this question is foolish, please stop bringing up the same point that has been proven illogical time and time again.

Why is it illogical to ask people why they deny the existence of God(s)? I am merely asking for some reason why people refuse to believe in God(s). The atheist has as much of a burden of proof as the theist. Both sides carry a burden of proof since both make a claim. Any intellectual atheist will acknowledge this.

Mmm...not quite. Both sides definitely have a burden of proof. Anyone who makes a claim does. But it's not an equivalent burden. The deistic/theistic side of the argument has a much loftier burden to fulfill.

Now, you claim to be a deist, yes? As in, you believe in a prime mover, but not a god who answers prayers and involves himself in the entanglements of mankind's grabs for power, ect.? Well, the simple answer to your question is that evidence which would suggest a deistic god simply isn't there. The structure of the universe, the structure of biological organisms, if this was designed, it was a very poor designer. There's just nothing which would suggest some divine order to the structure of reality.

Is Deism disprovable? Well, no. But only because it's an infallible proposition. By structure, there is no way to disprove it. That is a weakness in an argument, not a strength. Deism keeps itself vague enough to the point of absurdity, much likes claims of various mythological creatures, like unicorns, leprechauns, and Bigfoot. Believe in it if you wish. But it's not a necessary belief. There is nothing in the universe that can be explained by a deistic god currently that cannot be explained equally as well or better by naturalism. There's just simply not a good reason for the belief. So Atheists don't believe it. Just like there's no good reason to believe the other above stated mythological creatures.

Now, once you begin to claim to know the mind of God, and what he wants for us here on Earth, you've moved out of the realm of Deism and into the realm of Theism. And theistic claims, by and large, are easily falsifiable.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Picard
Posts: 54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 1:31:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 1:39:21 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/5/2014 1:33:45 AM, Picard wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

This topic has been done to death, anyone with an ounce of logic knows that this question is foolish, please stop bringing up the same point that has been proven illogical time and time again.

Why is it illogical to ask people why they deny the existence of God(s)? I am merely asking for some reason why people refuse to believe in God(s). The atheist has as much of a burden of proof as the theist. Both sides carry a burden of proof since both make a claim. Any intellectual atheist will acknowledge this.

I cannot answer for all atheists, nor would I ever claim to, but I do not say that God does not exist, I say that there is insufficient evidence to prove the existence of a God or Gods. I make no claim other than that you have not provided sufficient evidence for your point.
MysticEgg
Posts: 524
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 1:44:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 1:39:21 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/5/2014 1:33:45 AM, Picard wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

This topic has been done to death, anyone with an ounce of logic knows that this question is foolish, please stop bringing up the same point that has been proven illogical time and time again.

Why is it illogical to ask people why they deny the existence of God(s)? I am merely asking for some reason why people refuse to believe in God(s). The atheist has as much of a burden of proof as the theist. Both sides carry a burden of proof since both make a claim. Any intellectual atheist will acknowledge this.

Wrong on all accounts, I'm afraid. The intellectual atheists tend to be the weak (agnostic) atheists. They do not make a claim. You'd be correct if you were talking about strong (gnostic) atheists, as they do make a claim. Still, most atheists are weak, so you are talking against a majority straw man.
Orangatang
Posts: 442
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 2:19:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 1:39:21 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/5/2014 1:33:45 AM, Picard wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:59:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Can anyone show me atheism is more probably true than theism?

This topic has been done to death, anyone with an ounce of logic knows that this question is foolish, please stop bringing up the same point that has been proven illogical time and time again.

Why is it illogical to ask people why they deny the existence of God(s)? I am merely asking for some reason why people refuse to believe in God(s). The atheist has as much of a burden of proof as the theist. Both sides carry a burden of proof since both make a claim. Any intellectual atheist will acknowledge this.

Really no intellectual atheist's make the claim that God does not exist, the vast majority of non-intellectual atheists aren't hard atheists either. Rather they say they do not believe in God due to lack of evidence.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...