How do you know?

superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:13:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello all.
Many religious claims are being stated all of the time. I have come up with my new favorite question. How do you know? Thoughts?
For example: God wants us to do....
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:30:22 PM
How do we know anything at all? The knowledge we gain is through our senses and perceptions. When people talk about God they are basically talking about their own morals and standards which they have adopted in life and think everyone ought to adopt the same morals and standards as they have. They say "God wants..." instead of "I want..." because then it seems a greater entity than themselves is demanding something from others. It places the responsibility for the demand or ideas outside of themselves so others cannot blame them if things go wrong.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:31:49 AM
At 2/5/2014 6:30:22 PM, Skyangel wrote:
How do we know anything at all? The knowledge we gain is through our senses and perceptions. When people talk about God they are basically talking about their own morals and standards which they have adopted in life and think everyone ought to adopt the same morals and standards as they have. They say "God wants..." instead of "I want..." because then it seems a greater entity than themselves is demanding something from others. It places the responsibility for the demand or ideas outside of themselves so others cannot blame them if things go wrong.
Well said.
xftrev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:18:40 AM

Good answer.

And when things do go wrong, as they frequently and sometimes catastrophically do, they simply conjure up a Get Out Of Jail Free card.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:55:50 AM
I think there are a variety of ways we know things, including but not limited to...

1. Intuition
2. Deductive reasoning
3. Inductive reasoning
4. Physical senses
5. Memory
6. Authority
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:01:11 AM
At 2/6/2014 9:43:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
You don't "know" anything. That's why religious beliefs are called faith.

Religious beliefs are NOT FAITH !!!!!!!!!!!

Belief is radically different than faith because faith that us saints and prophets have to know our invisible Creator within His mind ( also our mind ), has nothing to do with those who were chosen to believe the words that our Creator puts in our mind to speak with.

Believers are people who have never known what "faith" means because they don't know our invisible Creator like us saints and prophets do. Believers are given enough information by our Creator through the illusions they see in this world to make them believe there has to be a Creator. When they listen to us saints preach the gospel to them because of our faith that our invisible Creator established within His mind at the very first connection we have with Him, they know we're speaking the Truth.

This means that us saints who have faith know our Creator and learn about the past, present and future as He has us write about it. From these writings and hidden knowledge that our Creator reveals to us in a language we can understand, He has us go out and preach the gospel to find believers who will listen to us.

Unbelievers believe their own interpretations of the written words in the Bible but they can't hear the Truth that we saints preach to them. They reject our words and eventually have our bodies killed because of their jealousy of all the believers who are listening to us and become friends.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:15:38 AM
At 2/6/2014 8:18:40 AM, xftrev wrote:

Good answer.

And when things do go wrong, as they frequently and sometimes catastrophically do, they simply conjure up a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

Atheists do the same thing whenever a believer in atheist naturalism becomes a dictator and kills hundreds of thousands of religious believers. They pull the no true scotsman fallacy like crazy.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:20:57 AM
At 2/5/2014 6:13:58 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
Hello all.
Many religious claims are being stated all of the time. I have come up with my new favorite question. How do you know? Thoughts?
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

Most atheists and Christians believe their own interpretations of the Bible and from these thoughts they get from their interpretations, they believe they are right. This is why Christians argue amongst themselves and why they argue with atheists who believe in their own interpretations ( thoughts ).

A saint is the flesh illusion that God uses for His purpose to reveal who we are and where we came from. These thoughts come directly from our invisible Creator but have to be changed into a language we can understand. So our Creator takes words from our memorized vocabularies and according to His knowledge of the past, present and future, He has us testify with these words He puts in our mind in writing or speaking.

Since our Creator knows the future, He teaches us saints some of this knowledge so that we can speak this to anyone who is listening to us. Those who listen to us and believe some of this knowledge are called believers. Those who reject our testimonies are called unbelievers, or this world. This is why there are prophecies written like these;

Jeremiah 6
10: To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ears are closed, they cannot listen; behold, the word of the LORD is to them an object of scorn, they take no pleasure in it.

God planned for people to be unbelievers during this age so these prophecies are totally accurate today as He has me testify to our invisible existence within His mind. His mind is where ALL thoughts come from and the thoughts we think with. However, there are two different kinds of thoughts. One set of thoughts are used to describe the illusions of this world and the other set of thoughts are used to reveal the Truth, which is our created existence within the mind of our Creator and how we'll live in the future.

This contrast in thoughts was needed for God to connect with His invisible servant, which is His Voice and the Voice that is heard through flesh called prophets and saints. It's also known as the Word of God, Son of God, Heavenly Kingdom, Kingdom of God, Church of Christ, etc., which is our invisible created existence within His mind as vibrations that we know as energy today.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 4:55:24 PM
I do "know" things. I know I went to work today. As do my co-workers. You didn't know that, but now you do, because I just told you. I just gave you a first person account. My co-workers could give you first person account. People who didn't see me could give a second person account, such as you. But to be fair, we'll just wait about 100 years and have somebody write down all the wonderful things I did today. Sorry, but I think I just went off on a tangent! Let's just stick to the first 5 sentences. :)
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:04:17 PM
At 2/6/2014 10:15:38 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Good answer.

Atheists do the same thing whenever a believer in atheist naturalism becomes a dictator and kills hundreds of thousands of religious believers. They pull the no true scotsman fallacy like crazy.
How do you figure? Atheists like who? Are you about to follow Godwin's law?
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:11:41 PM

Good answer.

Wrong. It isn't the "No True Scotsman" fallacy....atheism itself is not a motivating force behind those atrocities, therefore citing examples of atheists who have committed those atrocities in an attempt to imply that, is a fallacy in itself.

It makes as much sense as saying that because many of these figures also had mustaches, it was their mustaches that made them kill all those people.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:36:30 PM
At 2/6/2014 5:11:41 PM, Drayson wrote:

Good answer.

Wrong. It isn't the "No True Scotsman" fallacy....atheism itself is not a motivating force behind those atrocities, therefore citing examples of atheists who have committed those atrocities in an attempt to imply that, is a fallacy in itself.

It makes as much sense as saying that because many of these figures also had mustaches, it was their mustaches that made them kill all those people.

Yeah you're quite right, it wasn't Stalins belief in atheistic Communism that made him kill hundreds of thousands of religious leaders, he probably just thought they had bad clothing. /sarcasm
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:38:35 PM
At 2/6/2014 4:55:24 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
I do "know" things. I know I went to work today. As do my co-workers. You didn't know that, but now you do, because I just told you. I just gave you a first person account. My co-workers could give you first person account. People who didn't see me could give a second person account, such as you. But to be fair, we'll just wait about 100 years and have somebody write down all the wonderful things I did today. Sorry, but I think I just went off on a tangent! Let's just stick to the first 5 sentences. :)

How do you really know you did all of that personally? Maybe you're just a brain in a vat being manipulated by a mad scientist to think you did that.

Atheists set the bar for believing in religion higher than they do for belief in anything else in their lives.

It's like they've all got schizophrenia or something.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:57:10 PM
At 2/6/2014 5:38:35 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

How do you really know you did all of that personally? Maybe you're just a brain in a vat being manipulated by a mad scientist to think you did that.

Atheists set the bar for believing in religion higher than they do for belief in anything else in their lives.

It's like they've all got schizophrenia or something.
I'll take that as a very good answer! The Matrix. I like it. If true, what happened to god?
He vanishes quickly. But I really do like your answer. You are right though in that sense. We have now gone into perception. Like I've said before, I'm not your typical atheist.
In a sense, you are saying that there is a computer programmer, that you have no evidence of. Except for the fact that there exists a book that says there is computer programmer. That was written thousands of years ago by people who didn't actually see the programmer typing the code. How do you get yourself from A to B?
At this point, I think the definition of god needs to be changed. Remember the key here, that we are programmed, and that becomes very problematic.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:49:32 PM
At 2/6/2014 5:36:30 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Good answer.

Yeah you're quite right, it wasn't Stalins belief in atheistic Communism that made him kill hundreds of thousands of religious leaders, he probably just thought they had bad clothing. /sarcasm

What is "atheistic communism"? You can't just make up phrases and expect them to have any valid meaning.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:55:42 PM
At 2/6/2014 6:49:32 PM, Drayson wrote:
At 2/6/2014 5:36:30 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Good answer.

What is "atheistic communism"?

Soviet-era Communism. Trotsky said that belief in atheism is the first step to becoming a Communist. But you're right, Stalin probably just did it because he had a mustache, or whatever other thing one of your atheist Messiahs has said when confronted with the number of atheist mass murderers who have existed throughout the ages.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:07:36 PM

I know you aren't the same as most atheists, but if any other atheist wrote that, I would have called them delusional for believing that they went to work just because they experienced it.

I'm sure you can tell where I'm heading with that :)
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:47:14 PM

I could almost agree with this except for the fact that the person making the "God wants" claim is often trying to figure-out what it is that God wants from them, not what they want from God or for others. It's not at all unusual to hear something like "I'm pretty sure God wouldn't want me to do this, but right now that's not enough to stop me." In addition, people perform acts all the time even while feeling quite sure that it's not the right thing to do. They also perform acts which they don't personally want to do, simply because they reason that God would want them to do it. There will always be plenty of hypocrites, but a lot of people honestly try to figure-out the right thing to do and then struggle to do it.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:53:09 PM
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

I think Johnny Depp put it best as the character Jack Sparrow in The Pirates of the Caribbean when he said, "They done what's right by them, and you can't ask more than that from anyone." Or something close to that. The vast majority of people have some inner source of right and wrong, and it makes them feel bad when they choose the wrong thing while it gives them a boost when they choose what feels right.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:55:23 PM
At 2/6/2014 7:07:36 PM, Romanii wrote:

I know you aren't the same as most atheists, but if any other atheist wrote that, I would have called them delusional for believing that they went to work just because they experienced it.

I'm sure you can tell where I'm heading with that :)

Well said! :)
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:56:18 PM
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

God wants us to love him as we should for all he has done for us, and to love his creation as he does. (All his creation).

How do I know?

Well apart from the case that it is an extremely reasonable dual request, his word, which so far has proven 100% reliable in anything it says which can be proven yet, tells us that is the sum total of all his requests. They all come down to that ion the end.

100% reliable?

Well nothing has proven wrong yet, though there are still a number of things to be proven either way.

On top of that, that dual requirement fits in perfectly with his revealed personality.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:58:26 PM

Good answer.

Not all "get out of Jail free" cards are valid, so beware of forgeries.

However the real ones are part of the game for a reason.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:26:14 PM
At 2/6/2014 7:53:09 PM, Idealist wrote:
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

I think Johnny Depp put it best as the character Jack Sparrow in The Pirates of the Caribbean when he said, "They done what's right by them, and you can't ask more than that from anyone." Or something close to that. The vast majority of people have some inner source of right and wrong, and it makes them feel bad when they choose the wrong thing while it gives them a boost when they choose what feels right.

The majority or people only have an inner sense of what is right and wrong because of what they are taught from the cradle up, which is why it is so varied from person to person, and culture to culture, sometimes completely contradictory.

When we are born our only instinct is "Need, Gimme". There is no creature more self-centered than a new born baby, it is 100% survival instinct.

As scripture tells us, conscience has to be trained. In the first instance that is the responsibility of the parents, but as the child matures it takes more and more responsibility for it's own decisions in that regard.

The most important need in the world today is for a universal morality, and only God's, our creators, will truly work for the benefit of all. After all it is based on two things.

Love for God.

Love for all he has created, not matter who what or where.

His morality is the only way of securing true equality for all, and therefore true, all pervasive peace.

Even Ghandi recognised that fact.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:30:22 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:26:14 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

The majority or people only have an inner sense of what is right and wrong because of what they are taught from the cradle up, which is why it is so varied from person to person, and culture to culture, sometimes completely contradictory.

When we are born our only instinct is "Need, Gimme". There is no creature more self-centered than a new born baby, it is 100% survival instinct.

As scripture tells us, conscience has to be trained. In the first instance that is the responsibility of the parents, but as the child matures it takes more and more responsibility for it's own decisions in that regard.

The most important need in the world today is for a universal morality, and only God's, our creators, will truly work for the benefit of all. After all it is based on two things.

Love for God.

His morality is the only way of securing true equality for all, and therefore true, all pervasive peace.

Go and join the ministry of bog. You two deserve each other.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:44:06 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:30:22 PM, bulproof wrote:
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

Love for God.

Well, no-one deserves you so I guess that makes me one up at least, lol.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:57:59 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:44:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

Love for God.

You just don't understand how coming 5th in a two horse race should embarrass the sh!t outa ya, do ya?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 9:46:46 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:57:59 PM, bulproof wrote:
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

Love for God.

You just don't understand how coming 5th in a two horse race should embarrass the sh!t outa ya, do ya?

No, but I can understand how getting used to that must feel to someone like you who has experienced it so often.

It's never happened to me so I wouldn't know.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 9:53:04 PM
At 2/6/2014 9:46:46 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 2/6/2014 8:57:59 PM, bulproof wrote:
Hello all.
You fill in the blank.
How do you know?

Love for God.

No, but I can understand how getting used to that must feel to someone like you who has experienced it so often.

It's never happened to me so I wouldn't know.

And that time you came 14th. FVCK you're dumb.
DAYM4N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 9:56:39 PM
Clearly, nobody does "know" for sure. Everyone has a theory though and everyone wants to be right. I haven't met many people who will admit they don't know. Kind of dishonest if you ask me.