Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do you believe in demonic possession?

zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:10:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

What is the it to which you refer?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:11:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:10:33 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

What is the it to which you refer?

The state the person is in.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:20:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:11:44 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:10:33 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

What is the it to which you refer?

The state the person is in.
Is that Utah or Texas?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:24:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your gournd, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on accound of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land wich you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:25:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:24:22 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your gournd, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on accound of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land wich you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

In response to the OP.

Now I believe in it. bwuahahahahahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:27:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:25:57 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:24:22 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your gournd, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on accound of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land wich you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

In response to the OP.

Now I believe in it. bwuahahahahahahaha

That your confused. Yes.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:39:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

This is probably going to surprise a lot of people who have gotten to know me on this site over the past couple of months, but yes. I have personally performed a number of exorcisms myself.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PiedPiper
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:41:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

I've always figured that for each case there is some rational (i.e. non-demonic) explanation behind the "possession" and that explanation probably changes on a case by case basis. I'm sure some of them are terribly hard, if not almost impossible, to fully understand but I don't think that lack of full understanding makes possession a viable theory.

Of course, I could be "blinded" in a way by my non-belief in demons. I guess I could see how it is a more reasonable conclusion for people who believe in demons (a belief which I won't begin to challenge here).
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:47:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is there any record of people who don't believe in demons being possessed?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 10:51:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't believe in demonic possession. People that are accused of being possessed by demons simply suffer from mental illness ( mental illness is real ), including post-traumatic stress ( anger from past events ).

There is absolutely no such thing as demons.
Lordgrae
Posts: 666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 12:09:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

I'm not responding to your question, but I love your signature. bornofgod-us est stultior quam asinus.

You in a Latin club? My state hosts a convention for the Junior Classical League.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Drayson
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 12:09:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:51:59 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I don't believe in demonic possession. People that are accused of being possessed by demons simply suffer from mental illness ( mental illness is real ), including post-traumatic stress ( anger from past events ).

There is absolutely no such thing as demons.

No, because I'm a grown adult living in the 21st century,
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Drayson
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 12:10:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 12:09:19 AM, Drayson wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:51:59 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I don't believe in demonic possession. People that are accused of being possessed by demons simply suffer from mental illness ( mental illness is real ), including post-traumatic stress ( anger from past events ).

There is absolutely no such thing as demons.

No, because I'm a grown adult living in the 21st century,

That was meant to be in response to the OP, but I'm half asleep. Oops.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 8:38:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 12:09:13 AM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

I'm not responding to your question, but I love your signature. bornofgod-us est stultior quam asinus.


Haha. Oportet nos esse jucundos. :P

You in a Latin club? My state hosts a convention for the Junior Classical League.

Well I'm homeschooled, so no... I took latin since I was 8, but I haven't this past senior year of higschool. Last year I translated some of Cicero's orations, and it just took too much time.. Amazing how quickly you forget. You in a latin club?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 8:41:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:47:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
Is there any record of people who don't believe in demons being possessed?

I believe so, but I'm not the Vatican, I don't have the records. Lol. You need permission from your bishop before performing a major exorcism.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 9:00:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:39:13 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

This is probably going to surprise a lot of people who have gotten to know me on this site over the past couple of months, but yes. I have personally performed a number of exorcisms myself.

Would you mind elaborating?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Lordgrae
Posts: 666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 9:01:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 8:38:55 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/7/2014 12:09:13 AM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

I'm not responding to your question, but I love your signature. bornofgod-us est stultior quam asinus.


Haha. Oportet nos esse jucundos. :P

You in a Latin club? My state hosts a convention for the Junior Classical League.

Well I'm homeschooled, so no... I took latin since I was 8, but I haven't this past senior year of higschool. Last year I translated some of Cicero's orations, and it just took too much time.. Amazing how quickly you forget. You in a latin club?

Yeah, Junior Classical League. Technically it is Latin and Greek, but I don't know anyone who is in it in the entire state of Pennsylvania that took Greek to get in the club.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 9:07:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 8:41:24 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:47:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
Is there any record of people who don't believe in demons being possessed?

I believe so, but I'm not the Vatican, I don't have the records. Lol. You need permission from your bishop before performing a major exorcism.
Well I'm glad you believe that.

I believe that an invisible pink fairy lives under your bed.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:07:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Schizophrenia
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:15:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I believe they exist, but it's likely that most documented cases consist of people who were high on something, and that their "possession" ended when their heads cleared from all the drugs. That's why there were a lot of exorcisms in the 1970s.

That is not to say that they do not exist, because they do. However, if a miracle happened in the modern day, somebody would get it all on camera and post it on YouTube and then there'd be no such thing as faith anymore. And without faith it is impossible to please God.
XLAV
Posts: 13,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:26:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 10:15:56 AM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I believe they exist, but it's likely that most documented cases consist of people who were high on something, and that their "possession" ended when their heads cleared from all the drugs. That's why there were a lot of exorcisms in the 1970s.

That is not to say that they do not exist, because they do. However, if a miracle happened in the modern day, somebody would get it all on camera and post it on YouTube and then there'd be no such thing as faith anymore. And without faith it is impossible to please God.
If someone did post a real demonic possession in You tube, most people won't believe it. The video editing technology and CGI we have nowadays can make monsters look so real that no one can tell if its real or fake.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 11:05:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Having a double-digit IQ.
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 11:41:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 9:07:40 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:41:24 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:47:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
Is there any record of people who don't believe in demons being possessed?

I believe so, but I'm not the Vatican, I don't have the records. Lol. You need permission from your bishop before performing a major exorcism.
Well I'm glad you believe that.

I believe that an invisible pink fairy lives under your bed.

I believe that's a Red Herring.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 1:03:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 11:41:03 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/7/2014 9:07:40 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:41:24 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:47:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
Is there any record of people who don't believe in demons being possessed?

I believe so, but I'm not the Vatican, I don't have the records. Lol. You need permission from your bishop before performing a major exorcism.
Well I'm glad you believe that.

I believe that an invisible pink fairy lives under your bed.

I believe that's a Red Herring.

So you believe a red herring lives under you bed.? :)
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 2:13:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 1:03:50 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/7/2014 11:41:03 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/7/2014 9:07:40 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:41:24 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:47:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
Is there any record of people who don't believe in demons being possessed?

I believe so, but I'm not the Vatican, I don't have the records. Lol. You need permission from your bishop before performing a major exorcism.
Well I'm glad you believe that.

I believe that an invisible pink fairy lives under your bed.

I believe that's a Red Herring.

So you believe a red herring lives under you bed.? :)

Hahaha. Nicely played ;)
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:35:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Really ? What is the cause of demon possession. Ok, let me think here.............

I'll take Demons for 100 alex.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 6:00:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 3:35:05 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Really ? What is the cause of demon possession. Ok, let me think here.............

I'll take Demons for 100 alex.



If you believe in mental illness, demonic possession could easily be the cause of the mental illness. It can go both ways.

That being said, I think that when supernatural things happen, such as the possessed person speaking in languages they do not know, or knowing things they should have no knowledge of, telekinesis, super strength, then we couldn't posit a mental illness as an explanation anymore.

Supposedly such things happen on occasion, although most exorcisms, at least int he Catholic Church, are held privately, much like confessions.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 6:51:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 6:00:48 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:35:05 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Really ? What is the cause of demon possession. Ok, let me think here.............

I'll take Demons for 100 alex.



If you believe in mental illness, demonic possession could easily be the cause of the mental illness. It can go both ways.

If you believe in the common cold demonic possession could easily be the cause of the common cold.

If you believe in demon possession then maybe the demon that is possessing you is it's self being possession by a demon !!!

I don't think demons are the problem, I think people who use fear/ignorance and peoples gullibility to make up "problems" like demon possession then claim they have the solution to the non existent problem. Of course that solution comes at a price........


That being said, I think that when supernatural things happen, such as the possessed person speaking in languages they do not know, or knowing things they should have no knowledge of, telekinesis, super strength, then we couldn't posit a mental illness as an explanation anymore.

Sure when humans start flying around shooting laser beams out of their anus we will seek an explanation beyond mental illness.


Supposedly such things happen on occasion, although most exorcisms, at least int he Catholic Church, are held privately, much like confessions.

I suspect that more damage is done in the name of fighting demons than actual demons themselves.

When you have a group of people with power over a vulnerable person, and those group of people are just convinced there are demons, hiding........some where, what do you think is going to happen ?

They are going to find that demon,..................no matter what.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 6:58:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 6:51:29 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/8/2014 6:00:48 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 2/8/2014 3:35:05 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/6/2014 10:02:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
I know an exorcist a little bit, and have heard brief stories from him. Always a fascinating topic to me.

If you don't believe in demonic possession, what do you propose is the cause of it?

Really ? What is the cause of demon possession. Ok, let me think here.............

I'll take Demons for 100 alex.



If you believe in mental illness, demonic possession could easily be the cause of the mental illness. It can go both ways.

If you believe in the common cold demonic possession could easily be the cause of the common cold.


Probably not. I mean multiple identities, some of which are unnaturally violent and hateful of anything religious, which demonstrate abilities the person would normally not have.

If you believe in demon possession then maybe the demon that is possessing you is it's self being possession by a demon !!!

Probably not. Demons don't have any bodies to be controlled.


I don't think demons are the problem, I think people who use fear/ignorance and peoples gullibility to make up "problems" like demon possession then claim they have the solution to the non existent problem. Of course that solution comes at a price........


That being said, I think that when supernatural things happen, such as the possessed person speaking in languages they do not know, or knowing things they should have no knowledge of, telekinesis, super strength, then we couldn't posit a mental illness as an explanation anymore.

Sure when humans start flying around shooting laser beams out of their anus we will seek an explanation beyond mental illness.


What about the penis instead of the anus?


Supposedly such things happen on occasion, although most exorcisms, at least int he Catholic Church, are held privately, much like confessions.

I suspect that more damage is done in the name of fighting demons than actual demons themselves.


Maybe.

When you have a group of people with power over a vulnerable person, and those group of people are just convinced there are demons, hiding........some where, what do you think is going to happen ?


The person is exorcised because they want to be exorcised. Exorcism teams don't just go around finding whoever they want to exorcise, and putting them in a straight jacket. It's a process that includes alot of verification, permission from higher authorities, and months of exorcism sessions, along with lots of fasting.

They are going to find that demon,..................no matter what.

Indeed. Because the person has asked to be exorcised, and believes something is inside of them.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."