Jump to topic:

Make Up Your Own Religion

bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:00:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Exactly what it says. I ask you not to post satirical religions, which only serve the purpose of insulting religion in general.
It can be a polytheistic mythology, a monotheistic religion, an offshoot of an existing religion, perhaps even just another sect of an existing religion, or whatever you want, provided it's not a satire religion, such as the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:10:03 AM
At 2/7/2014 10:06:14 AM, bubbatheclown wrote:
If you don't know where to begin, just do what Bornofgod did. His is well developed.

I don't mean use his idea, but follow his example. Or you could use Biomystic's fictional religion as a model to construct yours.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:35:37 AM
At 2/7/2014 10:00:58 AM, bubbatheclown wrote:
Exactly what it says. I ask you not to post satirical religions, which only serve the purpose of insulting religion in general.
It can be a polytheistic mythology, a monotheistic religion, an offshoot of an existing religion, perhaps even just another sect of an existing religion, or whatever you want, provided it's not a satire religion, such as the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Here's one: my religion's called "Self". As Shakespeare said, "To thy own self, be true."
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 9:12:13 PM
Personally, if I were to adhere to my own made up religion, it would be similar to the Whovian religion - based on the ideals and principles of the Doctor (Doctor Who).

People find that strange, following a fictional character - but if one were to just go ahead and assume that God is fictional, then the Doctor is a far better God than any other religion's been able to come up with.

He's powerful, but not all-powerful....he's genuinely good, but also flawed in some ways....doesn't demand worship, or anything from us, he just wants to help us out when we need it and encourage us to better ourselves so we can explore the universe with him.

I think I'd like to have a God like that.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:16:01 PM

Okay, here goes.

A prophet named David Eddings (real person, look him up) gave us his documents of several worlds. One of these worlds was recorded in the Belgariad and Malloreon (two great series. I recommend) These detail the adventures of Garion, who became Belgarion. Through his adventures, the nature of our world is revealed onto us.

There are many gods, but above all of them lies the most Holy UL. UL is the father of all of the other gods, and is omnipresent and omnitient, though not omnipotent. While UL is the father, the mother is the universe itself. In the beginning of time, UL began to grow lonely, for the only other being was the omnitient, omnipotent, and omnipresent prophecy that determined the course of future events.

However, as UL created the last of the gods, a terrible event occurred. A star died in a spot it wasn't supposed to, and the prophecy split into two spaceless, timeless beings who would play out who's destiny is for good in a great game ranging across the cosmos. This split caused the god that UL was creating to be switched with a dark god, named Torak, who was possessed by the dark prophecy.

Now, the gods and the prophecies had finished their game, and the great Belgarion had won it for the light prophecy. Now, good would truly win in the end. But, the gods left that world, and came to ours, bringing vices in virtues. The religion of Belgarianism seeks to find the balance between the goodness and evil of these gods to achieve our destined future of perfection.

Aldur brings wisdom and lack of caring for reality
Belar brings kinship, but rage.
Chaldan brings honor, but needless war.
Mara brings peacefulness, but weakness
Nedra brings resource management, but stinginess.
Issa brings craftiness, but laziness.
Torak brings power, but fear.

And Eriond, is the bringer of all good, love and peace, praise be unto him. Hail, Eriond! God of the Angaraks! Kal Eriond! (Kal means king and god in ancient Angarak. If you read the series, an Angarak king is named 'Zakath. The apostrophe marks the spot where 'Kal' has been omitted)

Other important people in the religion of Belgarianism.

Lord Grae - one of the few Earthling prophets (real name omitted)
Polgara - Great great great great great great great great ........... aunt of Belgarion. She raised him on her own when he was about two to about twelve. She remained a mother figure in his life. (Parents are dead) She is a sorceress, which allows her to remain alive and youthful (she looks 30) despite being 3000 years old. Characterized by a single white lock in her black hair.
Beldaran - Polgara's sister and originator of the line that spawned Belgarion. She is not a sorceress, and died of illness.
Belgarath - Polgara and Beldaran's grandfather. He taught both Polgara and much later Garion to harness their magic. A disciple of the god Aldur. 7000 years old. Most powerful unaided mortal sorcerer.
Poledra - Belgarath's mysterious wife. disappeared after Polgara and Beldaran's birth for some mysterious task of UL's. Presumed dead by Belgarath until late in the second series of Edding's writings. Originally a wolf, but transformed herself into a woman, and often seen as an owl. Met Belgarath while he was a wolf. Somehow, without having any other magical abilities, she remained as an owl for a couple thousand years.

(Note: Bel and Pol are prefixes that mean 'beloved'.)
I do not have time to list the others.

If you have questions, I probably don't care.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:43:29 PM
If you don't know where to begin, just do what Bornofgod did. His is well developed.

All religions and religious ideas came from God's plan called the beast. The beast is the information that made man begin looking up in the stars and drawing imaginary lines from star to star to get various building shapes. Then God had them take earthen materials and form bricks and blocks in those shapes to begin building things with their human hands. This is why God used the symbolic "mark of the beast" on the forehead and hands of His people. Man's symbolic number is "666", which is meaningless to men who have no clue who our Creator or His beast is. The symbolic mark on the forehead of a man means that God put these building ideas in his mind without the man knowing who God is. Then God had men build these ideas from materials found on earth with their human hands, which is why the mark of the beast on man's hands.

So for the past several thousand years, the beast has been in operation to get man to improve on these building techniques until God had His modern computer technology in place and all the scientific instruments that were needed to understand what energy was all about. This took a lot of building ideas to get man to this point.

Along with these false gods ( buildings and things built with human hands ) that man built for our Creator, comes knowledge to explain them with. So the first false gods ( buildings ) that man built, God gave men knowledge, which is language, to help them explain their buildings with stories. These stories became the various languages that men used during this age. They keep changing as new ideas for their false gods were built. This is very easy to see with the modern technology we have today. The English language grew immensely to explain all these false gods ( modern technology ) that we have today. All the other languages of the world had to grow a lot, also but instead of scientists using their native languages to explain this technology, they learned English. This made it easier for all the scientists to get together and speak the same language to explain things to each other.

You may think that I'm making up a new religion but every word I write or speak is placed in my mind by our Creator who has taken complete control of my body and uses the English vocabulary I learned from childhood to have these words written or spoken as testimonies from His language, which is spoken into vibrations we all energy today. No man can see these vibrations but we understand their effects on the illusions that we see such as ripples on water or the vibrations that make sound from our mouth or heard with our ears.

God's language of vibrations has to be changed into languages that us saints can understand so that we learn about how God made everything within His mind. Our mind is His mind, which is where all the information comes from to create vibrations and form illusions with it. Information is language and God has my flesh use English to write and speak with.

Some religious people believe that speaking in tongues is God's language. This idea came from the beast which was meant to confuse some of His people. They believe anything from God's false prophets who steal the words from the prophets and saints and mix them with their religious thoughts that came from the beast. So the beast was meant to keep God's people deceived from knowing their true created existence as vibrations while God used His saints to explain who we are within His mind but at the same time, He used the beast to teach His people how to build things for God to use as analogies to explain our invisible existence. Otherwise, man would still be living like he was before the beast went into operation right after the flood. Man would be uncivil and be raping and killing each other without ever thinking about building cities, roads, schools, governments, etc.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 9:29:46 PM
At 2/7/2014 10:43:29 PM, bornofgod wrote:

All religions and religious ideas came from God's plan called the beast. The beast is the information that made man begin looking up in the stars and drawing imaginary lines from star to star to get various building shapes. Then God had them take earthen materials and form bricks and blocks in those shapes to begin building things with their human hands. This is why God used the symbolic "mark of the beast" on the forehead and hands of His people. Man's symbolic number is "666", which is meaningless to men who have no clue who our Creator or His beast is. The symbolic mark on the forehead of a man means that God put these building ideas in his mind without the man knowing who God is. Then God had men build these ideas from materials found on earth with their human hands, which is why the mark of the beast on man's hands.

So for the past several thousand years, the beast has been in operation to get man to improve on these building techniques until God had His modern computer technology in place and all the scientific instruments that were needed to understand what energy was all about. This took a lot of building ideas to get man to this point.

Along with these false gods ( buildings and things built with human hands ) that man built for our Creator, comes knowledge to explain them with. So the first false gods ( buildings ) that man built, God gave men knowledge, which is language, to help them explain their buildings with stories. These stories became the various languages that men used during this age. They keep changing as new ideas for their false gods were built. This is very easy to see with the modern technology we have today. The English language grew immensely to explain all these false gods ( modern technology ) that we have today. All the other languages of the world had to grow a lot, also but instead of scientists using their native languages to explain this technology, they learned English. This made it easier for all the scientists to get together and speak the same language to explain things to each other.

You may think that I'm making up a new religion but every word I write or speak is placed in my mind by our Creator who has taken complete control of my body and uses the English vocabulary I learned from childhood to have these words written or spoken as testimonies from His language, which is spoken into vibrations we all energy today. No man can see these vibrations but we understand their effects on the illusions that we see such as ripples on water or the vibrations that make sound from our mouth or heard with our ears.

God's language of vibrations has to be changed into languages that us saints can understand so that we learn about how God made everything within His mind. Our mind is His mind, which is where all the information comes from to create vibrations and form illusions with it. Information is language and God has my flesh use English to write and speak with.

Some religious people believe that speaking in tongues is God's language. This idea came from the beast which was meant to confuse some of His people. They believe anything from God's false prophets who steal the words from the prophets and saints and mix them with their religious thoughts that came from the beast. So the beast was meant to keep God's people deceived from knowing their true created existence as vibrations while God used His saints to explain who we are within His mind but at the same time, He used the beast to teach His people how to build things for God to use as analogies to explain our invisible existence. Otherwise, man would still be living like he was before the beast went into operation right after the flood. Man would be uncivil and be raping and killing each other without ever thinking about building cities, roads, schools, governments, etc.

What you call the beast I call innovation and curiosity. Though man and woman have fallen, that doesn't change the fact that men and women are made in the image of God.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 11:11:46 PM
At 2/9/2014 9:29:46 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

What you call the beast I call innovation and curiosity. Though man and woman have fallen, that doesn't change the fact that men and women are made in the image of God.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What besides a mythical story makes you think man and woman have "fallen" any place?
What is an "image" in your opinion?
If you are the image of God, does your God look like you ?
An image is like a reflection of yourself in a mirror. Can your mirror image do anything that you don't do in the first place?
If yours cannot why do you think Gods image can do something that God cannot do?

I can create a religion and call it "The church of the future " we will worship Father Time as the creator of all things and praise him for creating past present and future which is all an illusion according to Einstein.
All bow down to Father Time and believe in him for if you do not you will die but if you do you will live for all eternity in heaven after you die for not believing in him. As for those who do not believe in him they will still live forever and suffer for eternity in hell for not believing in Father Time or praying to that invisible supernatural entity.
Father time will only speak to me and I will pass his message on to all the blind and deaf people who are incapable of understanding me anyway because they are not chosen like I AM.
LOL.

This is a prophecy of your future... The grim reaper will get you eventually.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 11:49:57 PM

Well, in the movie Serenity, during his death scene after having his colony slaughtered by the evil government forces, the "Preacher" told Mal (the captain of the Firefly) "I don't care what you believe . . . as long as you believe in something." It sounded like a pretty good answer to me at the time. What I have no sympathy for are all the self-centered people in this world who seem to think that they are the sole reason for the world's existence. Believe in something bigger and better than yourself - serve something bigger and better than yourself - and you've taken the biggest step you'll ever take toward making your life count for something.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:28:38 AM
At 2/9/2014 11:49:57 PM, Idealist wrote:

Well, in the movie Serenity, during his death scene after having his colony slaughtered by the evil government forces, the "Preacher" told Mal (the captain of the Firefly) "I don't care what you believe . . . as long as you believe in something." It sounded like a pretty good answer to me at the time. What I have no sympathy for are all the self-centered people in this world who seem to think that they are the sole reason for the world's existence. Believe in something bigger and better than yourself - serve something bigger and better than yourself - and you've taken the biggest step you'll ever take toward making your life count for something.

Religion is unnecessary. My life will count, because I plan to make a positive impact on those around me. By doing this, my life will count.

But no matter who you are, your memory will soon be a picture in a box sitting in your great-great grandchildren's homes, unlabeled. They will not know your name, only your face. Then, soon the photo will be lost, either to decomposing, or destroyed some other way, such as a fire. Your existence will only be known by necessity.(oh, well, I suppose you had to have a great-great-great-great-great grandfather, otherwise, how are you here?) Then, the human race will eventually die, or perhaps America will fall before then. Whatever it is, I have no problems with it. I accept this fate.

And by not just accepting something that makes me happy, I can truly devote my time to what matters, and make an impact on this world.
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 5:16:03 PM
At 2/10/2014 7:28:38 AM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 2/9/2014 11:49:57 PM, Idealist wrote:

Religion is unnecessary. My life will count, because I plan to make a positive impact on those around me. By doing this, my life will count.

Of course. The religious have no monopoly on doing what is right or good. In fact they often fail miserably at both. A good person is a good person and a bad person is bad. Adding labels will never change that.

But no matter who you are, your memory will soon be a picture in a box sitting in your great-great grandchildren's homes, unlabeled. They will not know your name, only your face. Then, soon the photo will be lost, either to decomposing, or destroyed some other way, such as a fire. Your existence will only be known by necessity.(oh, well, I suppose you had to have a great-great-great-great-great grandfather, otherwise, how are you here?) Then, the human race will eventually die, or perhaps America will fall before then. Whatever it is, I have no problems with it. I accept this fate.

And by not just accepting something that makes me happy, I can truly devote my time to what matters, and make an impact on this world.

The only way to truly be at peace with the future is to accept that you really don't don't know how it will unfold. It is possible that your consciousness may actually be saved on a hard-drive so that your great-grandchildren can actually "speak" to you. Or your consciousness may live-on in some other way. I'll never understand why so few people are open-minded enough to admit that the future simply can't be known, even into tomorrow. We understand less than 5% of the physical universe - probably a lot less than that - yet we deem ourselves knowledgeable and wise enough to predict our own fate.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 5:27:42 PM
Wouldn't making up our own religions be satirical in themselves? If you allow, I'll begin to just make stuff up on the spot.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument
http://www.debate.org...

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 6:24:15 PM
knowledgism

A religion that worships knowledge.
RITUALS
Performing experiments and calculations to ward of ignorencia.
BELIEFS
Logic
Empiricism
ignorencia (the personification of ignorance.)
scientium (the personification of knowledge.
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 6:24:55 PM

so what do you think about knowledgism?

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 7:18:00 PM
At 2/12/2014 6:24:55 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

Not a religion.
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 7:45:17 PM
At 2/12/2014 7:18:00 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/12/2014 6:24:55 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

Not a religion.

Of course it is a religion. They have a God: scientium.

Niel deGrasse Tyson
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 9:15:24 PM

After the Great Protest and the "De-Formation" this is exactly what they did!!
Men went and made their own churches!! Last count there are over thirty five thousand protestant churches and they still are growing in number today!
Thousands of religions started by these men!

bubbatheclown Thousands and thousands of man made churches and RELIGIONS! ALL, every single one of them, claims to have the only truth, but not two are the same! Every one reads the bible and every one interprets the scriptures differently!!???

Dogknox
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 8:29:42 AM
At 2/9/2014 11:11:46 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 2/9/2014 9:29:46 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What besides a mythical story makes you think man and woman have "fallen" any place?
What is an "image" in your opinion?
If you are the image of God, does your God look like you ?
An image is like a reflection of yourself in a mirror. Can your mirror image do anything that you don't do in the first place?
If yours cannot why do you think Gods image can do something that God cannot do?

I can create a religion and call it "The church of the future " we will worship Father Time as the creator of all things and praise him for creating past present and future which is all an illusion according to Einstein.
All bow down to Father Time and believe in him for if you do not you will die but if you do you will live for all eternity in heaven after you die for not believing in him. As for those who do not believe in him they will still live forever and suffer for eternity in hell for not believing in Father Time or praying to that invisible supernatural entity.
Father time will only speak to me and I will pass his message on to all the blind and deaf people who are incapable of understanding me anyway because they are not chosen like I AM.
LOL.

This is a prophecy of your future... The grim reaper will get you eventually.

So you're saying that time travel would effectively be Deicide.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 8:46:34 AM
So what about Destiny?
Consider it:
Everything is predictable, subject to Destiny. Even if you time travel your time traveling could be predictable. Thus, nothing you do, even escaping this universe, could break the hold of Destiny. Nothing. Destiny would be absolute, supreme.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 7:19:51 PM
At 2/13/2014 8:46:34 AM, bubbatheclown wrote:
So what about Destiny?
Consider it:
Everything is predictable, subject to Destiny. Even if you time travel your time traveling could be predictable. Thus, nothing you do, even escaping this universe, could break the hold of Destiny. Nothing. Destiny would be absolute, supreme.

Yup; in a dream world!!!
Destiny is not predictable, it is the opposite to predictable .. It is often referred to as "hindsight"!
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 6:11:15 PM
Nothing you guys have suggested will top this:

Once there was one God. But he had a dual nature of both good and evil, so he split into two deities: a good god and an evil god. Realizing that they could not coexist, they began to fight. However, they were equals. One could not defeat the other.
So, they created the matter in our Universe out of their own substances. Some of the substance was good, some of it was evil. It all then became potentially good or evil. After billions of years, sentient life emerged on the planet Earth. At last, the conflict between good and evil could continue, because only sentient beings can be good or evil.

Whenever a human does something good, it converts some matter to good. When a human does something sinful, it converts some matter to evil. Whenever humans are almost completely good or almost completely evil, one of the two deities will win.

If the good god wins, our universe will be remade, and it will be completely good. Everyone who ever lived will be reborn as good, regretting the evil that we have done. We will all have access to the presence of the good god.

But if the evil god wins, our universe will be remade, and it will be completely evil. Everyone who ever lived will be reborn as evil, regretting the good that we have done. We will all have access to the presence of the evil god.

I haven't given it a name, but what do you think?
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 10:33:05 PM

I'm going to follow in the footsteps of Peter Griffin and create the Second Church of the Fonz.

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 10:42:36 PM
At 2/28/2014 10:33:05 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:

I'm going to follow in the footsteps of Peter Griffin and create the Second Church of the Fonz.

Too late. I'm doing a joint one for Neil Patrick Harris and the guy who plays Tyrion Lannister. The two great gods.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 10:51:09 PM
At 2/28/2014 10:42:36 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 2/28/2014 10:33:05 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:

Too late. I'm doing a joint one for Neil Patrick Harris and the guy who plays Tyrion Lannister. The two great gods.

WHAT?! How dare you, sir. How dare you! I have already started my religion, and it has 1 million followers worldwide! And to even try to compete with my true relgion... To blaspheme the holy name of Fonzie! Have you no shame, half-breed? This calls for holy war!

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 10:52:25 PM
At 2/12/2014 5:16:03 PM, Idealist wrote:
Of course. The religious have no monopoly on doing what is right or good. In fact they often fail miserably at both. A good person is a good person and a bad person is bad. Adding labels will never change that.

Mot according to the holy book of christianity.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 11:51:35 PM
At 2/28/2014 10:52:25 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/12/2014 5:16:03 PM, Idealist wrote:

Mot according to the holy book of christianity.

Are you a devotee of the "holy" book of Christianity?