Jump to topic:

I envy some atheists

rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 11:06:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If an atheist or agnostic lives a happy, healthy, responsible, and productive life, I envy them because it seems to me that they both are able to take full responsibility for their actions and their future and wind up having a good life. These people seem very lucky to me. Of course there are miserable atheists and happy high achieving theists.

I just can't stop believing in God or being active at church and in prayer. Sometimes I wonder whether that is a blessing or curse. I am very liberal in my beliefs but can't stop believing in God and don't know why.

I feel though that belief in God for me means that I don't have to worry if I never do anything with my life because I don't feel any farther from God even when I mess up pretty badly in life. Other theists don't feel this way but I feel almost as if nothing really matters and everything is good all the time because of God. I realize this is not normal theism but it allows me to be pretty miserable (because of all the times I mess up) and content without feeling much if a need to change.

God for me is like a parent or spouse who takes care of me no matter how bad I am. That is what my life has been like and I resent it. I should get off my butt and change my life but I never do. It's my fault not God's but I envy people who are able to live good lives depending only on themselves and not on God.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 11:15:23 AM
At 2/10/2014 11:06:46 AM, rockwater wrote:
If an atheist or agnostic lives a happy, healthy, responsible, and productive life, I envy them because it seems to me that they both are able to take full responsibility for their actions and their future and wind up having a good life. These people seem very lucky to me. Of course there are miserable atheists and happy high achieving theists.

I just can't stop believing in God or being active at church and in prayer. Sometimes I wonder whether that is a blessing or curse. I am very liberal in my beliefs but can't stop believing in God and don't know why.

I feel though that belief in God for me means that I don't have to worry if I never do anything with my life because I don't feel any farther from God even when I mess up pretty badly in life. Other theists don't feel this way but I feel almost as if nothing really matters and everything is good all the time because of God. I realize this is not normal theism but it allows me to be pretty miserable (because of all the times I mess up) and content without feeling much if a need to change.

God for me is like a parent or spouse who takes care of me no matter how bad I am. That is what my life has been like and I resent it. I should get off my butt and change my life but I never do. It's my fault not God's but I envy people who are able to live good lives depending only on themselves and not on God.

I don't think being productive or being a high acheiver has anything to do with a belief or disbelief in God.
xftrev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 11:21:56 AM

Why be envious? I am a very happy, well adjusted, successful atheist and if you can shake the drug of religion, then that opportunity is open to you also.

You may feel your god looks after you like a benevolent parent, but reality he doesn't. Other than the luck factor, you are the author of your own circumstance. Try robbing the local bank and asking him/her to assist you afterwards.

How many trillion prayers have gone completely unanswered so far in 2014?

The downside of non-belief is that you have to cope with the concept of your mortality. It's not easy, and the human brain is not well equipped to dwell upon the prospect, but the other option of self delusion is only going to end in disappointment. Not that you will know anything about that, of course.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 12:06:55 PM

Start reading all my testimonies from Christ in this forum. I've been testifying to our created existence in here for the past eight months so I have lots of posts for you to read. I think you're a true believer who will listen to our Creator's voice through these written testimonies so try it out and see how it goes with you. If you believe some of the things I've shared in this forum, most likely you were chosen by our Creator as a true believer. You can stop calling yourself a Christian because none of us saints call ourselves that name. That name came from antichrists who stole the words from the first saints and built the false religion of Christianity with them by mixing religious ideas that came through various religions going all the way back to the Babylonian Kingdom.

I can teach you about the past, present and future if you are a true believer. True believers will keep listening to our Creator despite all the unbelievers attacking them in this forum or anywhere I testify to our Creator's thoughts.

Have a great day in the Lord.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 12:07:47 PM
At 2/10/2014 11:21:56 AM, xftrev wrote:

Why be envious? I am a very happy, well adjusted, successful atheist and if you can shake the drug of religion, then that opportunity is open to you also.

You may feel your god looks after you like a benevolent parent, but reality he doesn't. Other than the luck factor, you are the author of your own circumstance. Try robbing the local bank and asking him/her to assist you afterwards.

How many trillion prayers have gone completely unanswered so far in 2014?

The downside of non-belief is that you have to cope with the concept of your mortality.

Ummm, excuse me but I, personally, plan to live forever or die trying. (parum pum pssh)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 12:54:19 PM
At 2/10/2014 11:15:23 AM, s-anthony wrote:

I don't think being productive or being a high acheiver has anything to do with a belief or disbelief in God.
It doesn't among people in general. But in people's specific circumstances it might. At least in terms if taking responsibility for oneself when when seems unable to otherwise. I'm not saying I should become an atheist - as if I could! What I mean is that people often need to change their approach to God in order to move forward. Mine isn't working but atheism, traditional Christianity, and New Agey touchy feeliness don't seem to work for me either.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 1:58:47 PM
At 2/10/2014 12:54:19 PM, rockwater wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:15:23 AM, s-anthony wrote:

It doesn't among people in general. But in people's specific circumstances it might. At least in terms if taking responsibility for oneself when when seems unable to otherwise. I'm not saying I should become an atheist - as if I could! What I mean is that people often need to change their approach to God in order to move forward. Mine isn't working but atheism, traditional Christianity, and New Agey touchy feeliness don't seem to work for me either.

In the US and other industrialized nations, the emphasis is mainly on that which you do; in other words, your success is based on how useful, or productive, you are to that society. In older countries, not in the throws of development, especially in the East, emphasis is based more on being, as opposed to doing; being an honourable citizen or family member is more important than being rich and powerful. These paradigms are hardwired into our respective psyches. In a country such as America, people are always driven to be discontent with their present conditions. It goes back to the very birth of our nation, with a constant desire to conquer unexplored territories, with our motto's being "Go west!". The "Promised Land" is always just beyond the horizon. Lewis and Clark explored the West, until they literally could go no further; and, their biggest disappointment was it didn't go on forever.

Having a pioneering drive is a blessing and gets us from point (A) to point (B); but, also, being happy with ourselves and being content with where it is we are, in life, is also vital, too. A life in constant need of something new tends to be brief and superficial; yet, a life uneventful and undriven isn't worth living. True happiness is one of balance.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 5:52:21 PM

I'm sorry if this is all jumbled up a bit.

If an atheist or agnostic lives a happy, healthy, responsible, and productive life, I envy them because it seems to me that they both are able to take full responsibility for their actions and their future and wind up having a good life.
You shouldn"t be envious. In my opinion, you must take personal responsibility for your actions. No difference from a theist or atheist in my opinion. My only problem is that theism allows the blame to be put on another person (Jesus).
These people seem very lucky to me. Of course there are miserable atheists and happy high achieving theists.
And vice versa.

I just can't stop believing in God or being active at church and in prayer.
I don"t think anybody is asking you to.
Sometimes I wonder whether that is a blessing or curse. I am very liberal in my beliefs but can't stop believing in God and don't know why.
Atheists aren"t asking you to stop believing. From my viewpoint atheists seem to have a problem with being told that they have no idea what they are talking about. I think that is the biggest issue. Nobody can just accept that we think what we think.

I feel though that belief in God for me means that I don't have to worry if I never do anything with my life because I don't feel any farther from God even when I mess up pretty badly in life.
That"s a good thing right? Everybody makes mistakes. Or to put it better in a children"s song "Everybody Poops"
Other theists don't feel this way but I feel almost as if nothing really matters and everything is good all the time because of God.
Everything matters, when we talk about us.
I realize this is not normal theism but it allows me to be pretty miserable (because of all the times I mess up) and content without feeling much if a need to change.
Check this out. I probably couldn"t tell you the many times I messed up just today! Messing up doesn"t mean that you"re a "mess up". Two different things. There is no need to feel miserable for making a mistake. They happen. You are attempting to be perfect, and that is something that you just can"t be. You are you, and whether you think so or not, people LOVE you for it. They rely on you being YOU!

God for me is like a parent or spouse who takes care of me no matter how bad I am. That is what my life has been like and I resent it. I should get off my butt and change my life but I never do. It's my fault not God's but I envy people who are able to live good lives depending only on themselves and not on God
You can keep your god and still rely on yourself. Maybe, it isn"t gods fault, but it isn"t always yours. I didn"t get the promotion. Not god, not you, maybe your boss is an jerk. How do you make things better? You just took the first step and asked for help. I congratulate you. You just did what not many could not have! You"re better than you ever imagined! And you did it here. You have risen above what many of us couldn"t. Theists or Atheists.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 6:03:24 PM

I did forget to mention one thing.
Find and really listen to the John Lennon song "Imagine". The lyrics are profound.
It's a wonderful song.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 6:36:38 PM

---------------------------------------------------

It makes no difference at all whether you are a believer in the invisible man in the sky or not. Living a healthy happy productive life does not require a belief in a God any more than it require s a belief in Santa. It requires people take full responsibility for themselves and their own attitudes and actions instead of relying on others including some invisible parent to care of them. It simply requires growing up and becoming the parent instead of remaining a child with childish attitudes and beliefs.
Your life is what you make it not what someone else makes of it. You choose to be who and what you want to be. If you are miserable it is because you choose to be miserable. if you are content in your misery then you are not motivating yourself to change due to not caring about yourself or your own misery. If you don't care about yourself why do you think anyone else including any invisible friends should care more about you than you do about yourself? No one else is going to make you happy if you are content to be miserable.
God is not an invisible parent or spouse any more than life or love itself is an invisible parent or spouse. God is Love and Love is not some entity which demands worship. Love is an attitude which exists within you and you can decide whether to love yourself and love others as much as you love yourself or not. There is no point in envying people who are happier than you are if you choose to remain miserable. Overcoming your misery is your job not anyone elses. No one can do it for you.