Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Why are American Christians so aggressive?

xftrev
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 11:28:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

I would say it's probably directly related to the wide latitude religion and speech are given.

The first settlers were religious zealots, don't forget. And America has traditionally had a disdain for politeness, a cultured anti-snobbery (wouldn't want to be like those foppish REDCOATS, amirite?) that translates into a general arrogance and lack of formality or politeness, which results in a lot more in your face rhetoric.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:12:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

Cool. So if I make a homophobic rant (though almost nothing I've made can actually count as homophobic) then you should simply ignore me. If I demand that non-Christians be burned at the stake then you should just ignore me.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 2:47:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Clearly we don't our country to end up like yours... lmao

jk..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:42:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

I reply: The Catholic Church is older then most countries!! Older then Briton!! The Catholic Church in England is growing!
You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??

I point out it was the Church that started the schools system, hospitals and welfare for the poor!
You are very quick to point a finger, history proves Church and Worship of God; A religion is a cement for the peoples it is good for any country!

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!
biomystic
Posts: 606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:11:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What an obnoxious meaningless rant, dognoxious. Keep such overreactions to yourself next time, as if that were possible..

To the O.P., America is where God has placed the Aquarian Age Christian leadership because America is where the Old World Savior tradition met the New World Savior tradition to blend into one prophesy of the Return of the Spirit of Christ. Europe is dead religiously, the Holy Land stuck with Zionist pretenders from Europe falsely claiming to be "Semites" and thus not able to fool God and create their false Israel in place of the land of milk and honey, Canaan, the Promised Land. America is where the Spirit is leading the world albeit in God's own mysterious way. That's why American culture is being spread all around the world and this will continue until She arrives and the Sword of Peace is installed in Jerusalem.
superflymegastallion
Posts: 370
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 5:18:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 2:12:37 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

Cool. So if I make a homophobic rant (though almost nothing I've made can actually count as homophobic) then you should simply ignore me. If I demand that non-Christians be burned at the stake then you should just ignore me.
Bubba, why are you so wrapped up in homosexuality? Guilty feelings or something?
I'm not sure, but I think I remember you writing something about abuse perhaps. That is not an excuse to bash homosexuals. The individual, yes, but the group, no.
Fox-McCloud
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 5:25:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Cognitive dissonance.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 6:23:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 3:42:33 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

I reply: The Catholic Church is older then most countries!! Older then Briton!! The Catholic Church in England is growing!
You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??

Thank you for this prime signature-quote material. I don't know how you immediately jumped to the conclusion that atheists must be homosexuals (or vice-versa), so I will leave this logical leap as an artifact for others to admire.

I point out it was the Church that started the schools system, hospitals and welfare for the poor!
You are very quick to point a finger, history proves Church and Worship of God; A religion is a cement for the peoples it is good for any country!

There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. However, at the same time, religion has also motivated some people in Africa to kill their children because they think they are witches, it has led to the Crusades, it has led to the September 11 attacks, and it has led to outright criminalization of homosexuality in Uganda. Yes, religion has done some good, but you'd have to be intellectually dishonest or ignorant to not admit that there have been some bad things done in the name of religion.

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!

This wouldn't apply to any humanists, which would include a vast majority of atheists. I'd encourage you to look into what humanism actually is before you make broad judgments about it.

I'd encourage you to view these two videos, so you can better understand where we are coming from...
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Dogknox
Posts: 5,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:15:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 6:23:53 PM, drhead wrote:
At 2/10/2014 3:42:33 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.


I reply: The Catholic Church is older then most countries!! Older then Briton!! The Catholic Church in England is growing!
You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??

Thank you for this prime signature-quote material. I don't know how you immediately jumped to the conclusion that atheists must be homosexuals (or vice-versa), so I will leave this logical leap as an artifact for others to admire.

I point out it was the Church that started the schools system, hospitals and welfare for the poor!
You are very quick to point a finger, history proves Church and Worship of God; A religion is a cement for the peoples it is good for any country!

There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. However, at the same time, religion has also motivated some people in Africa to kill their children because they think they are witches, it has led to the Crusades, it has led to the September 11 attacks, and it has led to outright criminalization of homosexuality in Uganda. Yes, religion has done some good, but you'd have to be intellectually dishonest or ignorant to not admit that there have been some bad things done in the name of religion.

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!

This wouldn't apply to any humanists, which would include a vast majority of atheists. I'd encourage you to look into what humanism actually is before you make broad judgments about it.




I'd encourage you to view these two videos, so you can better understand where we are coming from...

You asked.. Thank you for this prime signature-quote material. I don't know how you immediately jumped to the conclusion that atheists must be homosexuals (or vice-versa), so I will leave this logical leap as an artifact for others to admire.

I reply. AND... You can point me to where I said "Atheists are Homosexual"!! The Logic conclusion of Atheism IS and can only be: The survival of the fittest! The survival of the fittest, goes AGAINST society it is a selfish unloving individualistic attitude!!

You said.. There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. However, at the same time, religion has also motivated some people in Africa to kill their children because they think they are witches, it has led to the Crusades, it has led to the September 11 attacks, and it has led to outright criminalization of homosexuality in Uganda. Yes, religion has done some good, but you'd have to be intellectually dishonest or ignorant to not admit that there have been some bad things done in the name of religion.

I reply: And there are "ATHEISTS that killed millions of Jews"! Your point is what???!
There are people who worship Satan as a RELIGION.... So you say, the Atheist will say: "The Logical thing is to reject all "RELIGION" period!!" You reject outright the GOOD religion does!!! Because of a FEW.. you are more then willing to toss the baby out with the bath water!

I point out; The Crusades started out with good intention!!! It was NOT started to KILL people, it was ABUSED by people with their own agendas!

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!


Your reply is this...This wouldn't apply to any humanists, which would include a vast majority of atheists. I'd encourage you to look into what humanism actually is before you make broad judgments about it.
................................................
DICTIONARY DOT COM
hu"man"ist [hyoo-muh-nist or, often, yoo-] Show IPA
noun
1.a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.
2.a person devoted to or versed in the humanities.
3.a student of human nature or affairs.
4.a classical scholar.
5.( sometimes initial capital letter ) any one of the scholars of the Renaissance who pursued and disseminated the study and understanding of the cultures of ancient Rome and Greece, and emphasized secular, individualistic, and critical thought.
..............................................
Atheists reject a god and most are individualistic.. I will decide what is right attitude!!
Religions (MOST ALL) are naturally humanist!
slo1
Posts: 4,359
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:22:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

One simple reason, cuz all you sobs kicked out the puritans that just wanted to get their word of God from the bible rather than the bishops, and now they think the book is real, including a 6,000 year old earth.

Why couldn't you given us the druids and the old religions? At least some folks who believe in being topless at the beach. Instead you had to give us the people who like the idea of a theocracy disguised as a democracy.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:24:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 7:15:07 PM, Dogknox wrote:

You asked.. Thank you for this prime signature-quote material. I don't know how you immediately jumped to the conclusion that atheists must be homosexuals (or vice-versa), so I will leave this logical leap as an artifact for others to admire.

I reply. AND... You can point me to where I said "Atheists are Homosexual"!!

I was pointing out the fact that you immediately accused the OP of being gay on the basis of them being an atheist.

The Logic conclusion of Atheism IS and can only be: The survival of the fittest! The survival of the fittest, goes AGAINST society it is a selfish unloving individualistic attitude!!

Really, now? What would you say to any secular humanist you might come across?

You said.. There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. However, at the same time, religion has also motivated some people in Africa to kill their children because they think they are witches, it has led to the Crusades, it has led to the September 11 attacks, and it has led to outright criminalization of homosexuality in Uganda. Yes, religion has done some good, but you'd have to be intellectually dishonest or ignorant to not admit that there have been some bad things done in the name of religion.

I reply: And there are "ATHEISTS that killed millions of Jews"! Your point is what???!

My point is that for every atrocity that you claim has been done in the name of atheism, I can point out atrocities that have been done in the name of religion.

I feel that I should point out that very few atheists think that social Darwinism is a good thing. Most of us believe that we should make the best out of the one, short life we have. We believe that the best way to accomplish this is to try to get along well with others. What problem do you have with this?

There are people who worship Satan as a RELIGION.... So you say, the Atheist will say: "The Logical thing is to reject all "RELIGION" period!!"

You'll find that those Satanists are more in line with the belief that you are projecting onto atheists. From an essay written by the current leader of the Church of Satan:

"Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshiped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration"in Satanism there"s no deity to which one can sacrifice."

This sounds a lot more like the social Darwinism that you are accusing secular humanists of following, of all people. I think that if you are against this, you should be directing your complaints towards actual Satanists, instead of trying to generalize with traits in common which aren't mutually inclusive.

You reject outright the GOOD religion does!!! Because of a FEW.. you are more then willing to toss the baby out with the bath water!

Not very good at reading comprehension, aren't we?

"There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. "

These are my words. Now, if you don't mind me being frank here, what I was trying to say was that I'm not too stupid or blinded by faith to acknowledge that bad things have been done in the name of religion. I was still acknowledging that good things have happened.

I point out; The Crusades started out with good intention!!! It was NOT started to KILL people, it was ABUSED by people with their own agendas!

Oh, please... It was a military campaign. People knew when they signed up that they would be killing people.

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!


Your reply is this...This wouldn't apply to any humanists, which would include a vast majority of atheists. I'd encourage you to look into what humanism actually is before you make broad judgments about it.
................................................
DICTIONARY DOT COM
hu"man"ist [hyoo-muh-nist or, often, yoo-] Show IPA
noun
1.a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.
2.a person devoted to or versed in the humanities.
3.a student of human nature or affairs.
4.a classical scholar.
5.( sometimes initial capital letter ) any one of the scholars of the Renaissance who pursued and disseminated the study and understanding of the cultures of ancient Rome and Greece, and emphasized secular, individualistic, and critical thought.
..............................................
Atheists reject a god and most are individualistic.. I will decide what is right attitude!!
Religions (MOST ALL) are naturally humanist!

I can assure you that secular humanists do indeed exist. Theistic humanists do too -- if you attended a Unitarian Universalist church service, you'd see exactly what elements of religion are humanistic and which ones are separate from it (I would encourage you to do so, and noting the fact that 80% of the UU congregation is non-Christian, tell me why you think they are bad people). The community aspects, the charity aspects -- all of these are the humanistic parts of religion. When starting to talk about belief in a deity, that part has nothing at all to do with humanism. Why do you think that people must believe in a deity to actually care about other people? Why do you think we can't appreciate our life for what it is?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Dogknox
Posts: 5,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:29:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 8:24:10 PM, drhead wrote:
At 2/10/2014 7:15:07 PM, Dogknox wrote:

I was pointing out the fact that you immediately accused the OP of being gay on the basis of them being an atheist.

The Logic conclusion of Atheism IS and can only be: The survival of the fittest! The survival of the fittest, goes AGAINST society it is a selfish unloving individualistic attitude!!

Really, now? What would you say to any secular humanist you might come across?

You said.. There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. However, at the same time, religion has also motivated some people in Africa to kill their children because they think they are witches, it has led to the Crusades, it has led to the September 11 attacks, and it has led to outright criminalization of homosexuality in Uganda. Yes, religion has done some good, but you'd have to be intellectually dishonest or ignorant to not admit that there have been some bad things done in the name of religion.

I reply: And there are "ATHEISTS that killed millions of Jews"! Your point is what???!

My point is that for every atrocity that you claim has been done in the name of atheism, I can point out atrocities that have been done in the name of religion.

I feel that I should point out that very few atheists think that social Darwinism is a good thing. Most of us believe that we should make the best out of the one, short life we have. We believe that the best way to accomplish this is to try to get along well with others. What problem do you have with this?

There are people who worship Satan as a RELIGION.... So you say, the Atheist will say: "The Logical thing is to reject all "RELIGION" period!!"

You'll find that those Satanists are more in line with the belief that you are projecting onto atheists. From an essay written by the current leader of the Church of Satan:

"Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshiped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration"in Satanism there"s no deity to which one can sacrifice."

This sounds a lot more like the social Darwinism that you are accusing secular humanists of following, of all people. I think that if you are against this, you should be directing your complaints towards actual Satanists, instead of trying to generalize with traits in common which aren't mutually inclusive.

You reject outright the GOOD religion does!!! Because of a FEW.. you are more then willing to toss the baby out with the bath water!

Not very good at reading comprehension, aren't we?

"There are few atheists who would not admit that religion has sometimes motivated people to do some good things. I think that anyone who has ever heard of Mother Teresa would know this. "

These are my words. Now, if you don't mind me being frank here, what I was trying to say was that I'm not too stupid or blinded by faith to acknowledge that bad things have been done in the name of religion. I was still acknowledging that good things have happened.

I point out; The Crusades started out with good intention!!! It was NOT started to KILL people, it was ABUSED by people with their own agendas!

Oh, please... It was a military campaign. People knew when they signed up that they would be killing people.

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!


Your reply is this...This wouldn't apply to any humanists, which would include a vast majority of atheists. I'd encourage you to look into what humanism actually is before you make broad judgments about it.
................................................
DICTIONARY DOT COM
hu"man"ist [hyoo-muh-nist or, often, yoo-] Show IPA
noun
1.a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.
2.a person devoted to or versed in the humanities.
3.a student of human nature or affairs.
4.a classical scholar.
5.( sometimes initial capital letter ) any one of the scholars of the Renaissance who pursued and disseminated the study and understanding of the cultures of ancient Rome and Greece, and emphasized secular, individualistic, and critical thought.
..............................................
Atheists reject a god and most are individualistic.. I will decide what is right attitude!!
Religions (MOST ALL) are naturally humanist!

I can assure you that secular humanists do indeed exist. Theistic humanists do too -- if you attended a Unitarian Universalist church service, you'd see exactly what elements of religion are humanistic and which ones are separate from it (I would encourage you to do so, and noting the fact that 80% of the UU congregation is non-Christian, tell me why you think they are bad people). The community aspects, the charity aspects -- all of these are the humanistic parts of religion. When starting to talk about belief in a deity, that part has nothing at all to do with humanism. Why do you think that people must believe in a deity to actually care about other people? Why do you think we can't appreciate our life for what it is?

You said.. I feel that I should point out that very few atheists think that social Darwinism is a good thing. Most of us believe that we should make the best out of the one, short life we have. We believe that the best way to accomplish this is to try to get along well with others. What problem do you have with this?

I reply: What you say is; All very nice BUT.....
drhead but every single Atheist rejects Creation and accepts/BELIEVES "EVOLUTION-ISM" this leads to the ONLY conclusion it can lead to: "Survival of the fittest" means the weak must relinquish to the strong!
drhead Both world wars can be traced back to Darwinism and the BELIEF of; "Survival of the fittest"! Does this sound familiar; "The German race is superior to the back man or Jew"!!
Hitler was a pawn of Satan. It is Satan that pushes the "Secular Atheist agenda!"

You said.. "Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God.

I reply: So says you.. What you BELIEVE means what..? It means: It is what you believe and nothing more, you are a secularist!
I say: Satanists worship Satan"! It is a religion!!

Asking me this.... Why do you think that people must believe in a deity to actually care about other people? Why do you think we can't appreciate our life for what it is?
You are putting words in my mouth.... I was very clear... You reject a creator you MUST believe in EVOLUTION!
You say you care about others, EVOLUTION says; "Weed out the bad DNA, only the strong will and SHOULD live!"

You cannot have it both ways!
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 10:01:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

I wouldn't say we're all generally violent, most of us are just as passive or insincere as faithfuls in Europe as you describe. However there definitely is a HUGE media coverage for any religious nut-case who slanders gays, abortion clinics, soldiers, or liberals. The fact that you hear about these people the most doesn't necessarily mean that they are the 99%. I'm a christian and I'm on the fence about most of the major issues, as is the rest of my family.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 10:36:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 9:29:15 PM, Dogknox wrote:
You said.. I feel that I should point out that very few atheists think that social Darwinism is a good thing. Most of us believe that we should make the best out of the one, short life we have. We believe that the best way to accomplish this is to try to get along well with others. What problem do you have with this?

I reply: What you say is; All very nice BUT.....
drhead but every single Atheist rejects Creation and accepts/BELIEVES "EVOLUTION-ISM" this leads to the ONLY conclusion it can lead to: "Survival of the fittest" means the weak must relinquish to the strong!
drhead Both world wars can be traced back to Darwinism and the BELIEF of; "Survival of the fittest"! Does this sound familiar; "The German race is superior to the back man or Jew"!!
Hitler was a pawn of Satan. It is Satan that pushes the "Secular Atheist agenda!"

You said.. "Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God.

I reply: So says you.. What you BELIEVE means what..? It means: It is what you believe and nothing more, you are a secularist!
I say: Satanists worship Satan"! It is a religion!!

Asking me this.... Why do you think that people must believe in a deity to actually care about other people? Why do you think we can't appreciate our life for what it is?
You are putting words in my mouth.... I was very clear... You reject a creator you MUST believe in EVOLUTION!
You say you care about others, EVOLUTION says; "Weed out the bad DNA, only the strong will and SHOULD live!"

If you were more concerned with evolution, then why didn't you say so?

In either case, evolution is a past event. It is what happened in the past. We are under no obligation to continue using nature as a guide for structuring society.

As I've stated before, the vast majority of atheists would agree that social darwinism is a bad thing. With evolution being a natural process, it has absolutely no implications on how others should be treated. It has as much to do with morality as gravity does.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
xftrev
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 3:33:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 7:22:06 PM, slo1 wrote:

One simple reason, cuz all you sobs kicked out the puritans that just wanted to get their word of God from the bible rather than the bishops, and now they think the book is real, including a 6,000 year old earth.

Why couldn't you given us the druids and the old religions? At least some folks who believe in being topless at the beach. Instead you had to give us the people who like the idea of a theocracy disguised as a democracy.

Yep, I should have seen that one coming! I could be flippant and say that you've had 400 years to get over it, but the seed was sown (so as to say) and it may well have endured.

In any case, you have my heartfelt apologies on behalf of the nation.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:56:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days.

17% of the population are atheists. Clearly, you make up a huge majority.
xftrev
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 6:17:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 4:56:38 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days.

17% of the population are atheists. Clearly, you make up a huge majority.

25%, actually.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

And if you read my OP you will see that I said many who tick "Christian" only do so out of habit. If you spent any time here, that would be abundantly apparent.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 6:24:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 6:17:59 AM, xftrev wrote:
At 2/11/2014 4:56:38 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days.

17% of the population are atheists. Clearly, you make up a huge majority.


And if you read my OP you will see that I said many who tick "Christian" only do so out of habit.

Right, where's your evidence for that?
xftrev
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 6:49:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 6:24:36 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Right, where's your evidence for that?

Hahaha! I always love it when the religionista start demanding "evidence"! Couldn't make it up, could you?!

It's not just reported by me - it's accepted, even by many of the churches, that religion is on the wane in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Only 37% said they believed there is a god. 33% that there is some sort of spirit or life force, and 25% that there is a god. In any case, you can strop all you like - I'm telling you that religion in the UK has nothing like the influence it does in the US. We have no Tea Party, and virtually no Chritsian Right of any kind. A handful of nutters called "Christian Voice" occasionally appear, to widespread derision. They tried to stop "Jerry Springer - The Opera", and to sue the BBC for showing it, and failed dismally.

Thankfully.
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 6:53:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 6:49:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
At 2/11/2014 6:24:36 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Right, where's your evidence for that?

Hahaha! I always love it when the religionista start demanding "evidence"! Couldn't make it up, could you?!

It's not just reported by me - it's accepted, even by many of the churches, that religion is on the wane in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Only 37% said they believed there is a god. 33% that there is some sort of spirit or life force, and 25% that there is a god. In any case, you can strop all you like - I'm telling you that religion in the UK has nothing like the influence it does in the US. We have no Tea Party, and virtually no Chritsian Right of any kind. A handful of nutters called "Christian Voice" occasionally appear, to widespread derision. They tried to stop "Jerry Springer - The Opera", and to sue the BBC for showing it, and failed dismally.

Thankfully.

I concur with my own anecdote. It's not as simple as that either. The ones identifying as Christians here are pretty secular in their attitudes and how they go about life, very few are regular church-goers
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:00:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 6:49:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
At 2/11/2014 6:24:36 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Right, where's your evidence for that?

Hahaha! I always love it when the religionista start demanding "evidence"! Couldn't make it up, could you?!

Er, when did I say or imply I was religious?
bulproof
Posts: 25,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:18:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 3:42:33 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.

I reply: The Catholic Church is older then most countries!! Older then Briton!! The Catholic Church in England is growing!
You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??

I point out it was the Church that started the schools system, hospitals and welfare for the poor!
You are very quick to point a finger, history proves Church and Worship of God; A religion is a cement for the peoples it is good for any country!

xftrev Atheism is a secular RELIGION, it is a personal BELIEF; The survival of the fittest! Your BELIEFS do nothing for any society, your beliefs lead to death of the innocent the weak and old! The Nazism is a Atheist religion!!

Think about it mister "Brown Shirt"!

When I was a mick I always found the really stupid ones like you either really funny or really in need of a good beating, either way I always gave them a good beating just in case.

Rock choppers should never throw around accusations of homosexuality lest accusations of paedophiliia be thrown back.

If you don't, and you patently don't, know what atheism is then keep your ignorant mouth shut. It's the likes of you who give religion a bad rap.

You are a pig ignorant bigot and stupid in the extreme, a kindergarten education could improve your knowledge by parsecs.
xftrev
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:23:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 7:00:55 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/11/2014 6:49:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
At 2/11/2014 6:24:36 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Right, where's your evidence for that?

Hahaha! I always love it when the religionista start demanding "evidence"! Couldn't make it up, could you?!

Er, when did I say or imply I was religious?

My apologies.

Your demand for evidence was a bit of a decoy!
bulproof
Posts: 25,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:32:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 7:00:55 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 2/11/2014 6:49:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
At 2/11/2014 6:24:36 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Right, where's your evidence for that?

Hahaha! I always love it when the religionista start demanding "evidence"! Couldn't make it up, could you?!

Er, when did I say or imply I was religious?
Yeah he's not religious, he's just run of the mill pig ignorant.

Look at the threads he has initiated! LMFAO
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 12:10:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 11:09:39 AM, xftrev wrote:
There is religion everywhere, and certainly in Europe. It comports itself in a very different manner here to the US, however.

I appreciate that from the UK the difference is especially noticeable, as we are predominantly a country of heathens these days. The census shows a majority still call themselves Christian, but it's semi-involuntary response. Church congregations continue to dwindle, and whilst the Catholics have seen an upturn owing to the million plus Poles who have poured over since the barriers were lifted by Blair + Co, The Church of England has morphed into a hobby. Loud religionists get a very cold shoulder generally, and one guaranteed bar to becoming Prime Minister would be to shout one's faith from the rooftops. Blair was religious of course (and a Catholic convert), but rarely mentioned it when in power. His press secretary Campbell famously told reporters when asked "we don't do God". Cameron says he believes in God, but doesn't give it much thought and I've never heard him refer to it in any context. I suspect in reality he has little or no religion, and is just being as uncontroversial as possible. Deputy PM Nick Clegg is an atheist.

There are still thousands of state schools run by the churches (an utter outrage in my view), and we still have the Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. In practice they have almost no influence. There is a lot of antipathy towards the Muslim influx, not least because their religious piety marks them out so.

In most of the rest of Europe, things are similar. Of the 3 major Catholic countries only Poland remains as faithful as ever. In Ireland, the Church's influence is on the wane (hardly surprising) and even in Pope-land it cannot expect the unquestioning faith from Italians it once did.

Which is why the prevalence and volume of stroppy Christians in the US leaves me mystified. I watched the Craig Ferguson show with Stephen Fry on YT recently, and Ferguson had to give very serious warnings that people might hear things they didn't like, and if they were likely to be offended, they should watch something else. He really seemed unusually sincere and genuinely worried about the probable fallout. All Fry discussed was his view that there was no god and that gays deserved equal rights everywhere. Wouldn't pass as controversial on the lunchtime News here.

There is a Tea Party tendency here too, but it's tiny and almost universally ridiculed. On abortion, for example, the subject only comes up for discussion when the (almost always) American protagonists in the "pro life" lobby (a distinct minority) mange to stir up a story. I have flippantly asked on DDO if there is something in the water in the USA, but perhaps someone else can explain the genuine cause of this national neurosis.
It doesn't sound like you're wondering why American Christians are so aggressive. It sounds more like you're wondering why we're not as passive and conforming as you may desire.

As far as aggressive, if you came to the U.S. chances are you would encounter/interact with a number of Christians, possibly on a daily basis. More than likely, most of them will probably not saying anything about their Christianity.