Jump to topic:

Questions For Christians

SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 2:41:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have a few questions that I'd like to hear a Christian's perspective on. I have no hidden agenda and don't intend to argue over world views, so you can feel free to relax and answer the questions in any way you feel comfortable. Just think of me as a fellow Christian with questions.

1) God created man so that we could love him out of our own free will, right? If so, didn't the angels already have free will to choose whether or not to love him? If not, then how did Lucifer and other angels rebel? Or was our creation so that we could love him by faith alone?

2) Why doesn't god destroy Lucifer?

3) Didn't God know that Lucifer would rebel and that Eve would eat from the tree of knowledge? There are plenty of details that could have been different where they wouldn't have done those things. They could have still been the same person/angel with free will and if the environment was created differently, they wouldn't have acted the way they did. Does that mean god chose to create things in a way that these things would happen?

4) Some people say that evil is the absence of god. Wouldn't that explanation mean that he isn't omnipresent?

5) What's with all of the animal sacrifice and weird laws in the old testament?

These were just off the top of my head and I might think of more later. Again, none of this is meant to challenge anyone's faith. I'm only asking because I'm bored. If you want to debate religion, then leave a comment on my profile. This forum is intended for answers to these random thought-of-in-5-minutes questions only.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
TheWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 9:57:05 AM
At 2/18/2014 2:41:12 AM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
I have a few questions that I'd like to hear a Christian's perspective on. I have no hidden agenda and don't intend to argue over world views, so you can feel free to relax and answer the questions in any way you feel comfortable. Just think of me as a fellow Christian with questions.

1) God created man so that we could love him out of our own free will, right? If so, didn't the angels already have free will to choose whether or not to love him? If not, then how did Lucifer and other angels rebel? Or was our creation so that we could love him by faith alone?
This is a very good question. Yes, God created us to love Him out of our own free will. Yes we know that obviously angels have free will. Adam, who was the first created man, used his free will to sin against God. Because of this, the whole human race was cursed. Now before you say that is not fair. Look at a football team, when one person screws up, the coach makes the whole team pay for it. So Adam was cast out of paradise. Now everyone of us is born with the inclination to sin against God. This is part of the curse. We are ultimately created to serve the Lord wholeheartedly.

Lucifer has not served his full purpose yet. I will say that I believe that Satan is no longer on this earth. He was bound when Jesus said "it is finished". We know that God will one day destroy Lucifer.

3) Didn't God know that Lucifer would rebel and that Eve would eat from the tree of knowledge? There are plenty of details that could have been different where they wouldn't have done those things. They could have still been the same person/angel with free will and if the environment was created differently, they wouldn't have acted the way they did. Does that mean god chose to create things in a way that these things would happen?
Yes, God knew what would happen. We can speculate that if God had created things differently then things would not be as they are. Satan would not have rebelled and Eve would not have taken the fruit. But, we being not all knowing, do not know for sure that is case. Maybe God saw every possible outcome and this was the best outcome.

4) Some people say that evil is the absence of god. Wouldn't that explanation mean that he isn't omnipresent?
Evil is not the absence of God. Evil is the absence of good. Good is the absence of evil. God is good but that does not, necessarily, make good God.

It was to appease the wrath of God.

These were just off the top of my head and I might think of more later. Again, none of this is meant to challenge anyone's faith. I'm only asking because I'm bored. If you want to debate religion, then leave a comment on my profile. This forum is intended for answers to these random thought-of-in-5-minutes questions only.
https://docs.google.com...
Lead Enforcer of the DDO Revolutionary Party
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:10:59 AM
At 2/18/2014 2:41:12 AM, SkepticalStardust wrote:

Why ask Christians something they don't have any idea about?
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:13:46 AM
Off the top of my head you can take the idea of "free will" and toss it. It's man-made doctrine, not even scientific let alone spiritual knowledge of humanity in God's Creation. There is no free will. It's illusion caused by our inability to see beyond our position in time and space but God isn't limited to our perspective, sees all, knows all, does all. If there were free will, God could not be omnipotent and therefore not God..