Jump to topic:

Evolution and Gravity Denied

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:31:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The two most comprehensively evidenced scientific theories, EVOLUTION & GRAVITY, are denied by fundy christians just so they can believe in the fairy tales they have been indoctrinated with.

Why do fundies do this? Is it ignorance or is it willful denial? Are they incapable of rational thought or is their indoctrination stronger than that used in North Korea?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 6:36:44 AM
At 2/19/2014 3:31:47 AM, bulproof wrote:
The two most comprehensively evidenced scientific theories, EVOLUTION & GRAVITY, are denied by fundy christians just so they can believe in the fairy tales they have been indoctrinated with.

Why do fundies do this? Is it ignorance or is it willful denial? Are they incapable of rational thought or is their indoctrination stronger than that used in North Korea?

Gravity? You mean in Geocentricism?

I don't think that they deny gravity except the flat-earthers. They just argue that the Earth is a valid reference point for the centre of the universe (which bends well enough for them).
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:11:34 AM
At 2/19/2014 6:36:44 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

I don't think that they deny gravity except the flat-earthers. They just argue that the Earth is a valid reference point for the centre of the universe (which bends well enough for them).

No I mean gravity.

Read their bible.
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:39:06 AM
At 2/19/2014 7:11:34 AM, bulproof wrote:

No I mean gravity.

Read their bible.

Do you mind... oh idk... giving a reference instead of telling me to read the whole Bible to find that?
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:47:26 AM
At 2/19/2014 7:39:06 AM, justin.graves wrote:

No I mean gravity.

Read their bible.

Do you mind... oh idk... giving a reference instead of telling me to read the whole Bible to find that?

Oh you are right, my apologies. I thought everyone on this site would know that the bible claims that jesus flew off into the clouds allegedly on his way to heaven.

Woops denying the theory of gravity.

Please don't make assinine claims about scientific THEORIES. OfreakingK
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 8:11:59 AM
At 2/19/2014 7:47:26 AM, bulproof wrote:

No I mean gravity.

Read their bible.

Oh you are right, my apologies. I thought everyone on this site would know that the bible claims that jesus flew off into the clouds allegedly on his way to heaven.

Oh, I thought it was his alleged soul that flew. Since we do not know the physical properties of souls, nor it's mass, it's perfectly plausible it will fly away. Bus here is heaven? Can we find it with our telescopes? We need all the data!
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 8:38:00 AM
At 2/19/2014 8:11:59 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 2/19/2014 7:47:26 AM, bulproof wrote:

No I mean gravity.

Read their bible.

Oh, I thought it was his alleged soul that flew. Since we do not know the physical properties of souls, nor it's mass, it's perfectly plausible it will fly away. Bus here is heaven? Can we find it with our telescopes? We need all the data!
Oh please.
He was resurrected bodily, like with wounds to prove he was a body according to the rubbish in the book of fables.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 8:39:37 AM
Where's our god fearing christians in this thread?

Oh that's right

Scared sh!tless.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 10:57:15 AM
At 2/19/2014 8:39:37 AM, bulproof wrote:

Oh that's right

Scared sh!tless.

Maybe they aren't replying because they can't understand what the hell you're point is.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:03:50 AM
At 2/19/2014 10:57:15 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Oh that's right

Scared sh!tless.

Maybe they aren't replying because they can't understand what the hell you're point is.

Maybe instead it's because they do understand what I'm saying and are to sh!t frightened to respond.

You do know why he flew off into the clouds don't you?
Because heaven and god were just above the solid dome that covered the earths disk.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:51:54 AM
I am not quite sure about the alternative for gravity deniers. Intelligent falling + intelligent pulling + Intelligent thrust?

Also, what do you mean by "evolution"?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 5:28:00 AM
At 2/20/2014 4:51:54 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
I am not quite sure about the alternative for gravity deniers. Intelligent falling + intelligent pulling + Intelligent thrust?

Ahh yes I see your point.

I of course meant to say EVILution.

I sometimes confuse religious words, like god and well god, there are so many characters described by either one.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 5:34:08 AM
At 2/20/2014 5:28:00 AM, bulproof wrote:

I sometimes confuse religious words, like god and well god, there are so many characters described by either one.

Ah, yes. The said word can potentially hint at certain terms within it's vocalization, such as "Evil" or "Illusion". However, this is not a good indication, nor a logical one, of determining whether it represents these values.

The word "Evolution" can be defined in many ways. I am only asking for clarification of the definition.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 5:46:51 AM
At 2/20/2014 5:34:08 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

Ah, yes. The said word can potentially hint at certain terms within it's vocalization, such as "Evil" or "Illusion". However, this is not a good indication, nor a logical one, of determining whether it represents these values.

The word "Evolution" can be defined in many ways. I am only asking for clarification of the definition.

Evolution is a theory that results from an amalgamation of almost all fields of scientific endeavour, it is a theory that along with gravity is probably the most well supported of any theory ever devised in the history of science.

Is there anything else you need to know? If so, then a google search for evolution will provide you with more reading than your lifespan can accommodate.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 6:11:54 AM
At 2/20/2014 5:46:51 AM, bulproof wrote:

Evolution is a theory that results from an amalgamation of almost all fields of scientific endeavour, it is a theory that along with gravity is probably the most well supported of any theory ever devised in the history of science.

Is there anything else you need to know? If so, then a google search for evolution will provide you with more reading than your lifespan can accommodate.

I am aware of the many different definitions. I am interested in which one you are talking about in this thread.
Your description fails to relate to anything other than the theory of everything, but that isn't really well supported.

Now, before I accept the great theory of evolution into my heart like Christians accept Jesus, I wish to learn about the claims of the glorified theory.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 6:22:49 AM
At 2/20/2014 6:11:54 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

I am aware of the many different definitions. I am interested in which one you are talking about in this thread.
Your description fails to relate to anything other than the theory of everything, but that isn't really well supported.

Now, before I accept the great theory of evolution into my heart like Christians accept Jesus, I wish to learn about the claims of the glorified theory.

Ya see ya just buggered up. Evolution is not a glorified theory, it's a scientific Theory.
I need to ask before we go any further with this discussion if you understand that term?
You see if you don't then this discussion cannot possibly go further.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 6:35:04 AM
I noticed fang that you haven't addressed the problem of denying gravity, you know a flying horse. Is that significant?
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 10:24:25 AM
At 2/20/2014 6:22:49 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 2/20/2014 6:11:54 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

Ya see ya just buggered up. Evolution is not a glorified theory, it's a scientific Theory.
I need to ask before we go any further with this discussion if you understand that term?
You see if you don't then this discussion cannot possibly go further.

Really? I felt like I'd go to heaven if I believe in it after reading your description.

I am aware of the term. Now can you answer the question in order to clear the vagueness? In the context of this debate, what does evolution claim? What is denied?

I have already stated that I would find it amusing for someone to defend some sort of an alternative such as intelligent falling.
Iredia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 3:41:45 PM

For one, fundies don't deny gravity. Once more, gravity is observable in the present; but macroevolution is unobservable given the timescale involved. Three, gravity still faces the problem of force at a distance: a problem which scientists have long learned to ignore.

As to your questions.

'Why do fundies do this?'

That depends on a fundie. But they have reason to since they have certain preaumptions.

'Is it ignorance or is it willful denial?'

Both IMO. Once you are stuck in a mode of thought everything fits; that's why things in a cartoon (physics) makes sense even though they conflict with reality.

'Are they incapable of rational thought or is their indoctrination stronger than that used in North Korea?'

Indoctrination requires one is capable of rational thought; nobody indoctrinates apes or babies, at least not as they do kids or adults. And one would be mad to 'indoctrinate' a corpse.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:43:04 PM

Oh that's right

Scared sh!tless.

The ascension was a miracle. As was the resurrection.
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:52:36 PM

La
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:52:46 PM

Lal
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:52:55 PM

Lala
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:53:16 PM

lalal
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:53:32 PM

lalala
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:54:32 PM

lalalal
bubbatheclown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 9:04:36 PM

lalalala