Total Posts:114|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christians: Cherry Picking your belief?

tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically. Or that they disregard the old testament.

Furthermore, what do you have to say about the countless portions of the bible that you have likely never read that are stored in the catacombs in the Vatican city? Are those the legitimate word of God? Does the papacy just get to decided what is holy and what is not?

Finally, for literalists, how do you know that the word of the bible hasn't been molested in some way? For centuries many portions of the bible were spread only by word of mouth. It wasn't until Saul actually decided to put pen to paper that the bible was written, and even then, many others contributed to those writings. And then after that, the bible could have been modified at random by the papacy in the earlier portions of the millennium. There are hundreds of ways that the bible could have been changed and twisted by random people. For all you know, the words in the King James Bible could be absolute hogwash, and nothing like the actual words of Jesus.

I'm not saying that all Christians cherry pick, just most. I know many, though, who see the entire book as metaphorical, and some who see the whole book as literal. The literalists are typically hypocrites and fools, but at least their consistent.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 11:03:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

I'm glad you agree. It isn't only Christians, either. Living, in the south, I'm just more exposed to Christians. I think, though, in most cases, people just tend to believe what is convenient.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 11:05:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 11:03:50 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

I'm glad you agree. It isn't only Christians, either. Living, in the south, I'm just more exposed to Christians. I think, though, in most cases, people just tend to believe what is convenient.

Precisely... It's sad...
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
LAZARUS77
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 1:05:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

GodChoosesLife as we see you in the picture looking nice girl lolll anyway my question i dont understand why christains generally (girls yeah...) dont wearing the head cover but the bible says that women must cover their head if not, to shave it? im not trying to be provoking or offending just its confusing me for a long time...
No man is a true believer unless he desires for his brother that, what he desires for himself. - Prophet Muhammad saw
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:20:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 1:05:55 PM, LAZARUS77 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

GodChoosesLife as we see you in the picture looking nice girl lolll anyway my question i dont understand why christains generally (girls yeah...) dont wearing the head cover but the bible says that women must cover their head if not, to shave it? im not trying to be provoking or offending just its confusing me for a long time...

To wear a veil is like saying Jesus never died and that were still under the law. But since Jesus died and rose the veil was split into two and thus girls do not need to place any head coverings or veils. Unless you wanna go by tradition.

Ohh and thanks :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:25:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically. Or that they disregard the old testament.

Furthermore, what do you have to say about the countless portions of the bible that you have likely never read that are stored in the catacombs in the Vatican city? Are those the legitimate word of God? Does the papacy just get to decided what is holy and what is not?

Finally, for literalists, how do you know that the word of the bible hasn't been molested in some way? For centuries many portions of the bible were spread only by word of mouth. It wasn't until Saul actually decided to put pen to paper that the bible was written, and even then, many others contributed to those writings. And then after that, the bible could have been modified at random by the papacy in the earlier portions of the millennium. There are hundreds of ways that the bible could have been changed and twisted by random people. For all you know, the words in the King James Bible could be absolute hogwash, and nothing like the actual words of Jesus.


I'm not saying that all Christians cherry pick, just most. I know many, though, who see the entire book as metaphorical, and some who see the whole book as literal. The literalists are typically hypocrites and fools, but at least their consistent.

Do you think Christians would believe they can be a President of the U.S. if they read the biography of President Clinton?
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:45:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Was gonna ask the same question, lol
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 3:52:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.

That's not very charitable.
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 3:53:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 3:52:44 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.

That's not very charitable.

What's your point?
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:00:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 3:53:34 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:52:44 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.

That's not very charitable.

What's your point?

Do you really think that people are making metaphors out of plainly literal passages out of an unwillingness to obey the commands therein rather than actually believing that the passages are actually metaphoric?

While it may indeed be the case that some people are just so lazy or avaricious that they do in fact do this, I find it highly improbable and by extension it would be uncharitable to say that many people are engaging in 'cherry picking' rather than, say, critical reading when deciding in what sense to take a given passage.
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:07:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:00:30 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:53:34 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:52:44 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.

That's not very charitable.

What's your point?

Do you really think that people are making metaphors out of plainly literal passages out of an unwillingness to obey the commands therein rather than actually believing that the passages are actually metaphoric?

While it may indeed be the case that some people are just so lazy or avaricious that they do in fact do this, I find it highly improbable and by extension it would be uncharitable to say that many people are engaging in 'cherry picking' rather than, say, critical reading when deciding in what sense to take a given passage.

I suppose it may be "uncharitable" as you say, but it seems to me to be the truth. Call me cynical, but most modern spiritualists seem to believe only what is convenient. Humans are just plain greedy. You could even argue that my beliefs are what are convenient to me. I consider myself a "Utilitarian Epicurean." That is to say that I hold worldly mental, and physical pleasure as virtuous, and that you should work to spread the virtue of worldly pleasure. It's honestly a very easy belief to hold, as I enjoy worldly pleasures, and I like helping others enjoy those same pleasures.

What authority do you have to decide what is literal, and what is metaphorical?
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:17:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:07:07 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:00:30 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
Do you really think that people are making metaphors out of plainly literal passages out of an unwillingness to obey the commands therein rather than actually believing that the passages are actually metaphoric?

While it may indeed be the case that some people are just so lazy or avaricious that they do in fact do this, I find it highly improbable and by extension it would be uncharitable to say that many people are engaging in 'cherry picking' rather than, say, critical reading when deciding in what sense to take a given passage.

I suppose it may be "uncharitable" as you say, but it seems to me to be the truth.

I found it uncharitable because you've given no reason to convict these many people that you're pretty much accusing of intellectual dishonesty. There's a perfectly charitable explanation for someone taking one part of the bible figuratively and another literally.

Call me cynical, but most modern spiritualists seem to believe only what is convenient. Humans are just plain greedy. You could even argue that my beliefs are what are convenient to me. I consider myself a "Utilitarian Epicurean." That is to say that I hold worldly mental, and physical pleasure as virtuous, and that you should work to spread the virtue of worldly pleasure. It's honestly a very easy belief to hold, as I enjoy worldly pleasures, and I like helping others enjoy those same pleasures.

Cool.

What authority do you have to decide what is literal, and what is metaphorical?

My own? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here to be honest.
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:38:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.

Okay... Now why would you ask me that question if you know what it means then??
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:38:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:38:06 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.

Okay... Now why would you ask me that question if you know what it means then??

Are you admitting to cherry picking or not?
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:41:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:38:53 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:06 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.

Okay... Now why would you ask me that question if you know what it means then??

Are you admitting to cherry picking or not?

I do NOT cherry pick! Why would I agree with Tyler the if I was cherry picking?? That doesn't exactly make sense.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:42:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:41:31 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:53 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:06 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.

Okay... Now why would you ask me that question if you know what it means then??

Are you admitting to cherry picking or not?

I do NOT cherry pick! Why would I agree with Tyler the if I was cherry picking?? That doesn't exactly make sense.

Back to the first question, then.
Have you given away all your personal possessions to the poor?
Jesus mentions that several times...
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:45:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:42:55 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:41:31 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:53 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:06 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.

Okay... Now why would you ask me that question if you know what it means then??

Are you admitting to cherry picking or not?

I do NOT cherry pick! Why would I agree with Tyler the if I was cherry picking?? That doesn't exactly make sense.

Back to the first question, then.
Have you given away all your personal possessions to the poor?
Jesus mentions that several times...

Possessions that's my parents things? No. My necessities no. Other things yes. Why are you pestering me? :/
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:46:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:45:10 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:42:55 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:41:31 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:53 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:38:06 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:36:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:35:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:33:26 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:40:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:51:00 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I couldn't agree more. :/
People cherry pick because they want it to justify their actions and/or because they aren't really obeying the Bible.

Oh really? You agree?

Have you given away all your belongings to the poor?

Did you not read my post?

So you are cherry picking too...

Do you know what cherry picking even means sweetie?

Following the convenient teachings of the Bible while ignoring the others.

Okay... Now why would you ask me that question if you know what it means then??

Are you admitting to cherry picking or not?

I do NOT cherry pick! Why would I agree with Tyler the if I was cherry picking?? That doesn't exactly make sense.

Back to the first question, then.
Have you given away all your personal possessions to the poor?
Jesus mentions that several times...

Possessions that's my parents things? No. My necessities no. Other things yes. Why are you pestering me? :/

*sigh*...

Watch this video...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 7:04:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 4:07:07 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:00:30 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:53:34 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:52:44 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.

That's not very charitable.

What's your point?

Do you really think that people are making metaphors out of plainly literal passages out of an unwillingness to obey the commands therein rather than actually believing that the passages are actually metaphoric?

While it may indeed be the case that some people are just so lazy or avaricious that they do in fact do this, I find it highly improbable and by extension it would be uncharitable to say that many people are engaging in 'cherry picking' rather than, say, critical reading when deciding in what sense to take a given passage.


I suppose it may be "uncharitable" as you say, but it seems to me to be the truth.

Prove it or retract your sweeping claims.

Calll me cynical, but most modern spiritualists seem to believe only what is convenient. Humans are just plain greedy. You could even argue that my beliefs are what are convenient to me. I consider myself a "Utilitarian Epicurean." That is to say that I hold worldly mental, and physical pleasure as virtuous, and that you should work to spread the virtue of worldly pleasure. It's honestly a very easy belief to hold, as I enjoy worldly pleasures, and I like helping others enjoy those same pleasures.

What authority do you have to decide what is literal, and what is metaphorical?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 7:10:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 7:04:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:07:07 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 4:00:30 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:53:34 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:52:44 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 3:23:17 PM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/20/2014 2:43:07 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically.

How would that be cherry picking exactly?

Because you can choose to take what is convenient to believe as literal and what is difficult to believe as metaphorical.

That's not very charitable.

What's your point?

Do you really think that people are making metaphors out of plainly literal passages out of an unwillingness to obey the commands therein rather than actually believing that the passages are actually metaphoric?

While it may indeed be the case that some people are just so lazy or avaricious that they do in fact do this, I find it highly improbable and by extension it would be uncharitable to say that many people are engaging in 'cherry picking' rather than, say, critical reading when deciding in what sense to take a given passage.


I suppose it may be "uncharitable" as you say, but it seems to me to be the truth.

Prove it or retract your sweeping claims.

My evidence is anecdotal, but I'll state it anyway. Where I live, more than 80% of the population is christian (I live in the bible belt). Yet, I constantly see people living in nice houses, driving nice cars, and eating shrimp. All of which violate the teachings of Jesus (see the video that was posted above). The shrimp thing isn't in the video, but the bible very clearly and explicitly states that eating shrimp is a sin. The bible also states that gossiping is tantamount to fornication (which means extramarital meaningless sex). When I ask Christians, "Why do you see homosexuality as a sin?" They reply, "Because god says it is wrong." Ironically enough, I usually ask this question after hearing a piece of gossip claiming that some guy is gay.

Thus, cherry picking.

I assume that you are a christian, do you eat shrimp? Have you ever spread gossip? Have you given away all of your worldly possessions?
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Dogknox
Posts: 5,056
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 9:38:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically. Or that they disregard the old testament.

Furthermore, what do you have to say about the countless portions of the bible that you have likely never read that are stored in the catacombs in the Vatican city? Are those the legitimate word of God? Does the papacy just get to decided what is holy and what is not?

Finally, for literalists, how do you know that the word of the bible hasn't been molested in some way? For centuries many portions of the bible were spread only by word of mouth. It wasn't until Saul actually decided to put pen to paper that the bible was written, and even then, many others contributed to those writings. And then after that, the bible could have been modified at random by the papacy in the earlier portions of the millennium. There are hundreds of ways that the bible could have been changed and twisted by random people. For all you know, the words in the King James Bible could be absolute hogwash, and nothing like the actual words of Jesus.


I'm not saying that all Christians cherry pick, just most. I know many, though, who see the entire book as metaphorical, and some who see the whole book as literal. The literalists are typically hypocrites and fools, but at least their consistent.
tylergraham95 good to meet you..

I reply:
The Catholic Church made the bible!! The bible did not fall out of the sky!!
The Catholic Church sorted out all the truly inspired manuscripts from the phony ones!! Then she put all the inspired manuscripts into one book; She named her book "The Bible"! The Pope closed the canon of scripture in 400 A.D.!!
Toss your bible out your stinking window if you reject the AUTHORITY of the Catholic Church!! You MUST trust she got it right that her bible does NOT contain and uninspired books!

The Catholic Church has 73 books in her bible, always did! Martin Luther had 73 books in his bible! The first bible printed the "Gutenberg Bible" was printed with 73 books!!
FACT: Catholic's did not add books; Protestants took books out of the bible!
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 9:43:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:38:29 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:45:12 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Why do so many Christians seem to "cherry pick" their beliefs? That is to say, that they take some parts of the bible literally, and some metaphorically. Or that they disregard the old testament.

Furthermore, what do you have to say about the countless portions of the bible that you have likely never read that are stored in the catacombs in the Vatican city? Are those the legitimate word of God? Does the papacy just get to decided what is holy and what is not?

Finally, for literalists, how do you know that the word of the bible hasn't been molested in some way? For centuries many portions of the bible were spread only by word of mouth. It wasn't until Saul actually decided to put pen to paper that the bible was written, and even then, many others contributed to those writings. And then after that, the bible could have been modified at random by the papacy in the earlier portions of the millennium. There are hundreds of ways that the bible could have been changed and twisted by random people. For all you know, the words in the King James Bible could be absolute hogwash, and nothing like the actual words of Jesus.


I'm not saying that all Christians cherry pick, just most. I know many, though, who see the entire book as metaphorical, and some who see the whole book as literal. The literalists are typically hypocrites and fools, but at least their consistent.
tylergraham95 good to meet you..

I reply:
The Catholic Church made the bible!! The bible did not fall out of the sky!!
The Catholic Church sorted out all the truly inspired manuscripts from the phony ones!! Then she put all the inspired manuscripts into one book; She named her book "The Bible"! The Pope closed the canon of scripture in 400 A.D.!!
Toss your bible out your stinking window if you reject the AUTHORITY of the Catholic Church!! You MUST trust she got it right that her bible does NOT contain and uninspired books!

The Catholic Church has 73 books in her bible, always did! Martin Luther had 73 books in his bible! The first bible printed the "Gutenberg Bible" was printed with 73 books!!
FACT: Catholic's did not add books; Protestants took books out of the bible!

And the Catholic churches were filled with antichrists who believe they are the only people of God and that everyone else is doomed to hell if they don't believe in their false deities, Jesus and virgin Mary.