Total Posts:348|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What, if anything, would change your beliefs?

Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 3:27:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Most scientists will tell you in advance what reliable evidence would change their mind about a theory. Many atheists will do this as well in regards to a God. What is the biggest challenge (in the form of arguments/evidence) to your belief system? What, if anything, would change your beliefs?
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 3:43:15 AM
At 2/21/2014 3:27:50 AM, Orangatang wrote:
Most scientists will tell you in advance what reliable evidence would change their mind about a theory. Many atheists will do this as well in regards to a God. What is the biggest challenge (in the form of arguments/evidence) to your belief system? What, if anything, would change your beliefs?

Solid reliable evidence.

That is what my beliefs are formed on, and therefore is the only thing that will ever change them.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 3:54:28 AM
At 2/21/2014 3:43:15 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Solid reliable evidence.

That is what my beliefs are formed on, and therefore is the only thing that will ever change them.

Great answer. I'm sure the only problem however, is a difference of opinion on what is reliable evidence and what isn't.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 4:02:39 AM
At 2/21/2014 3:54:28 AM, Orangatang wrote:

Solid reliable evidence.

Great answer. I'm sure the only problem however, is a difference of opinion on what is reliable evidence and what isn't.

Don't know about great answer, it is the only answer anyone should give.

That is exactly the problem people face, what to choose as reliable evidence and what not to, and in the end we will all be judged on those choices.

How thoroughly do we test out the evidences we find?

Do we really test them out as if our very lives depend on our decisions?

Or do we leave the testing, and this our lives, in the hands of others?

We should, because our eternal life does depend on the choices we make.
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 4:46:20 AM
It is just remarkable that both the theist and atheist will tell you that only evidence will change their minds. Assuming we all live in the same world, with the same evidences... What has gone wrong here?
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:11:33 AM

Evidence of any religion being true I guess. Not the silly garbage that goes under the name of intelligent design, or miracles, which don't prove anything.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:19:19 AM
At 2/21/2014 5:11:33 AM, DudeStop wrote:

Evidence of any religion being true I guess. Not the silly garbage that goes under the name of intelligent design, or miracles, which don't prove anything.

You see that just illustrates my point i my last post.

Why do you choose to say that Intelligent Design evidence is silly garbage. It is solid, demonstrable and therefore proven. It is actually alive and with us now, as microbiology is continually showing.

How can anyone reject such evidence unless it is because of personal bias?

Miracles? well they prove that someone or something has the power to do them. Very little else. They certainly tell us little about the source of such events, at least most of them don't. I guess that, to an extent, it depends on what you call a miracle.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:21:58 AM
At 2/21/2014 4:46:20 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
It is just remarkable that both the theist and atheist will tell you that only evidence will change their minds. Assuming we all live in the same world, with the same evidences... What has gone wrong here?

That also goes back to my second post.

Personal choice.

What do we base our choice of evidence on?

Do we base it on personal preference, whether or not we realise that?

Do we base it on a search for truth whether we like it or not?

Are we influenced by others around us?

There are so many factors that affect teh decisions we make about what evidence we choose to accept..

The problem of course being that there can only be one truth, so how determined are we to find it?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:28:21 AM
At 2/21/2014 5:19:19 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Why do you choose to say that Intelligent Design evidence is silly garbage.
Still born innocent babes!

How is that signs of an Intelligent Designer?

You numbskull!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:32:45 AM
At 2/21/2014 5:28:21 AM, Composer wrote:

You numbskull!

It is a sign of the imperfection that we inherited from Adam, it is not part of the original design plan, nor will it be when humanity is returned to what was originally intended.

You are blaming the manufacturer for the problems caused by the mechanic who put water in the oil filler.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:36:23 AM

Why do you choose to say that Intelligent Design evidence is silly garbage. It is solid, demonstrable and therefore proven. It is actually alive and with us now, as microbiology is continually showing.

Miracles? well they prove that someone or something has the power to do them. Very little else. They certainly tell us little about the source of such events, at least most of them don't. I guess that, to an extent, it depends on what you call a miracle.

Meh. Well I actually used to be a theist debater. I used intelligent design for my argument.

And man, did I get DESTROYED. It wasn't even close. I was hardly able to get back up I lost so hard. He literally used Fine Tuning to prove his argument, disprove mine, and just completely destroy me in a debate.

Now... There is this little thing with "Miracles" where people claim to have had god help find their car keys, or win the Super Bowl, or I had a girl who told me that god saved her from falling. (Just on the ground...-_-)

1. Ask yourself why god doesn't help the sick and dying children around the world, but helps you do (X). Doesn't god have more important things to do than help an athlete win?

2. According to the Bible, god gave us free will. Meaning no interventions. If there is interventions, then perhaps god should do a better job at picking them out.

3. Why assume that the laws of nature were suspended in your favor, rather than assuming you were just under a misapprehension?
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:39:56 AM
At 2/21/2014 5:32:45 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You numbskull!

It is a sign of the imperfection that we inherited from Adam, it is not part of the original design plan, nor will it be when humanity is returned to what was originally intended.

You are blaming the manufacturer for the problems caused by the mechanic who put water in the oil filler.

Wait, so you believe that god only had two humans, then they had to create themselves from then on? Q
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:54:48 AM

Solid reliable evidence.

And your solid reliable evidence is the scribblings of a long dead ignorant goat herder who knew that the Earth was a flat disk protected by a solid dome above which sat a creator god on a throne.

Have you ever seen the universe? Just look UP, you freaking moron.

The simpletons you rely on for truth thought that the sun, moon and stars existed within the Earths atmosphere and that there was a mantle of water above them.

That is your TRUTH. Too bad it isn't true.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:08:59 AM
At 2/21/2014 5:36:23 AM, DudeStop wrote:

Meh. Well I actually used to be a theist debater. I used intelligent design for my argument.

And man, did I get DESTROYED. It wasn't even close. I was hardly able to get back up I lost so hard. He literally used Fine Tuning to prove his argument, disprove mine, and just completely destroy me in a debate.

Now... There is this little thing with "Miracles" where people claim to have had god help find their car keys, or win the Super Bowl, or I had a girl who told me that god saved her from falling. (Just on the ground...-_-)

Yes well some will believe anything, lol.

1. Ask yourself why god doesn't help the sick and dying children around the world, but helps you do (X). Doesn't god have more important things to do than help an athlete win?

God doesn't help athlete's win, he is not interested in such petty things and I have never been able to understand why anyone should think he is.

The question of "why doesn't God act" is an old and deep one, but one which is simplest answered by saying that he is doing, and has already created a system whereby all such injustices will be put right, when the time comes.

To put it in it's simplest sense. God chose, out of a sense of justice, which after all has to apply to the guilty as well as the innocent to give his challenger, Satan, a fair opportunity to prove his case.

The bible is a record of the first 4,000 years of Satan's efforts to do just that, and is therefore a record of evidence to prevent the same situation from ever arising again.

He has also arranged for a resurrection onto a cleansed earth so that all who suffered in ignorance can learn the truth of it, and have the same prospect of eternal life which Adam threw away.

Trying not to go into more detail than I can help at present, The end result, when this time period God set aside is up, will be that only those who wish to live in the only way that benefits the whole of creation will be allowed to enjoy perfect life, in perfect peace and health, for as long as they choose to remain living in that way. All others will simply be destroyed.

In a few thousand years, this time of suffering will seem as insignificant as the suffering of an operation, and the subsequent recovery, which allows us to enjoy even this life much better than before it.

2. According to the Bible, god gave us free will. Meaning no interventions. If there is interventions, then perhaps god should do a better job at picking them out.

Oh he is doing a perfect job of it, and also ensuring that it can never happen again.

In a sense, free will was the "problem". God gave us it and trusted us to use it wisely. However neither Satan nor Adam did and so we have the mess we have now.

3. Why assume that the laws of nature were suspended in your favor, rather than assuming you were just under a misapprehension?

I assume nothing..

I certainly don;t claim any miracles in my life, just the occasional nudge in the right direction, if God has seen fit to do so, for the advantage of furthering his purposes not mine.

Some call that a miracle, I don't. It is simply God using the system he created to advantage, and those of us who serve him sometimes benefit personally from that so we can continue to serve him.

However, if I am stupid enough to trip and fall he won;t stop me. Anything that does is pure coincidence. He certainly won;t help me do anything that gives me any glory, lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:12:57 AM
At 2/21/2014 5:39:56 AM, DudeStop wrote:

You numbskull!

Wait, so you believe that god only had two humans, then they had to create themselves from then on? Q

It is true. Adam and Eve were created and then told to "go forth and multiply". He created them with the ability to do so.

Sex was given us for procreation.

Apparently genetics agree with that assessment, that there was an original pair and all stem from them. They just don't agree with how the original pair came about. Interestingly they apparently also claim that it was "somewhere in North Africa".
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:16:51 AM
At 2/21/2014 7:12:57 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You numbskull!

It is true. Adam and Eve were created and then told to "go forth and multiply". He created them with the ability to do so.

Apparently genetics agree with that assessment, that there was an original pair and all stem from them. They just don't agree with how the original pair came about. Interestingly they apparently also claim that it was "somewhere in North Africa".

Don't take this as an argument, because I'm actually curious. (And this may be a stupid question)

But how did the different races get here in that case? (White black. Etc)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:24:24 AM

No dummy!

We procreate via our means of procreation. No-one gave us that ability, that ability is why we exist.

The dumbness of the religious is beyond comprehension.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:29:42 AM

You numbskull!

Deut. 24:16 & Ezek. 18:20 refute you!

IF you could stop thinking with your penis, you would already know that!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:37:38 AM
At 2/21/2014 7:08:59 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
The bible is a record of the first 4,000 years of Satan's efforts to do just that, and is therefore a record of evidence to prevent the same situation from ever arising again.
Your failed propaganda continues to drivel from your lying lips!

You have the opportunity to reveal your Satanic ministry according to the criteria YOU set in place i.e. the YLT & E.D. narrative!

You are still on the run from even attempting to do so, because YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T! but being the ' unity at all cost ' you will continue to LIE, deceive & preach error according to the dictates of the Botchtower Bethelites, for your own selfish personal lustful purposes!!
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 7:53:48 AM
What is the biggest challenge (in the form of arguments/evidence) to your belief system? What, if anything, would change your beliefs?

I can only speak for myself but;

1. clinical evidence against mind/body dualism
2. the existence of God becoming metaphysically absurd
3. astrophysical evidence that some part of the universe is eternal
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:53:35 AM
At 2/21/2014 6:54:48 AM, bulproof wrote:

Solid reliable evidence.

And your solid reliable evidence is the scribblings of a long dead ignorant goat herder who knew that the Earth was a flat disk protected by a solid dome above which sat a creator god on a throne.

The simpletons you rely on for truth thought that the sun, moon and stars existed within the Earths atmosphere and that there was a mantle of water above them.

Some of my evidence is teh scribblings of still alive microbiologist.

Yes of course I have looked up in wonder at what my God has done. He created and maintains all of that, at least all of it that is left.

I also wonder how many of those stars still exist since the light from them takes so long to reach us. Will we ever know the answer to that? nothing science has in it's armoury can tell us. For all we know we may be looking at hundreds, or eve thousands of starts that died out hundreds or thousands of years ago, their light has take so long to reach us, and the greatest telescopes in the world can't shorten that time by one second.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:54:56 AM
At 2/21/2014 6:54:48 AM, bulproof wrote:

Solid reliable evidence.

Oh it's twoo it's twoo, lol.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:59:36 AM

1.) Solid, unrefuted evidence that the universe came into existence without a Creator.

2.) Solid, unrefuted logical disproof of God. To be absolutely certain that He doesn't exist, you need to find some evidence against Him. I know of no such disproof that's stood the test of time successfully.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument
http://www.debate.org...

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:23:47 AM
I don't know.

I'm looking for the truth, although that isn't a religion.

Maybe a religion other then Christianity is right, and until I look for that, asking for evidence is an exercise in futility.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:33:51 AM
At 2/21/2014 9:59:36 AM, Pitbull15 wrote:

1.) Solid, unrefuted evidence that the universe came into existence without a Creator.

2.) Solid, unrefuted logical disproof of God. To be absolutely certain that He doesn't exist, you need to find some evidence against Him. I know of no such disproof that's stood the test of time successfully.

That's because neither exist, nor can ever exist.

All the evidence points to a creator, and that creator is the one true God.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:38:00 AM
At 2/21/2014 7:29:42 AM, Composer wrote:

You numbskull!

Deut. 24:16 & Ezek. 18:20 refute you!

IF you could stop thinking with your penis, you would already know that!

Actually they refute nothing I teach.

Deuteronomy 24:16
16 "Fathers should not be put to death for what their children do, and children should not be put to death for what their fathers do. A person should be put to death only for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20
20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will bear no guilt because of the error of his father, and a father will bear no guilt because of the error of his son. The righteousness of the righteous one will be accounted to him alone, and the wickedness of the wicked one will be accounted to him alone.

Why are they not contrsadictions?

Simple, Context.

The two quotations are dealing with two completely different sets of circumstances, as I suspect you already know, but being a liar who likes to appear to eb clever, you assume no-one is going to have the brains to check up on the surrounding verses.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:38:57 AM
At 2/21/2014 7:24:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

No dummy!

We procreate via our means of procreation. No-one gave us that ability, that ability is why we exist.

The dumbness of the religious is beyond comprehension.

The one who created us gave us that ability, simple as.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:46:15 AM
At 2/21/2014 7:16:51 AM, DudeStop wrote:

You numbskull!

Don't take this as an argument, because I'm actually curious. (And this may be a stupid question)

One can only make assumptions on that, though teh bble does hint that Black white and yellow decended from different sons of Noah.

However, if a white person spends enough time in a hot country they turn brown, it is possible that in time this can change DNA and become a permanent part of the makeup of the people who stay in the hotter area.

Also it is clear that some of the less dark versions of hmanity actually get paler if the move to colder or less sunny climes.

My fiancee if a Filipina. While she was working as a maid in the Lebanon, until recently, she spent most of her time indoors and ot of the sun, and lost some of her colour. Since being back in the Philippines she has regained some of that lost colour.

It has been observed that DNA can be changed by diet, from one generation to another so maybe "suntan" can do also.

However since genetics tell us that humanity came from one original pair in North Africa, they were presumably pretty black to start with.

As I say, this is only assumption based on personal observation, as well as one scientific experiment with diet using a whole village as subjects. There is no absolute proof of any of it.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 10:48:27 AM
At 2/21/2014 10:46:15 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 2/21/2014 7:16:51 AM, DudeStop wrote:

You numbskull!

One can only make assumptions on that, though teh bble does hint that Black white and yellow decended from different sons of Noah.

However, if a white person spends enough time in a hot country they turn brown, it is possible that in time this can change DNA and become a permanent part of the makeup of the people who stay in the hotter area.

Also it is clear that some of the less dark versions of hmanity actually get paler if the move to colder or less sunny climes.

My fiancee if a Filipina. While she was working as a maid in the Lebanon, until recently, she spent most of her time indoors and ot of the sun, and lost some of her colour. Since being back in the Philippines she has regained some of that lost colour.

It has been observed that DNA can be changed by diet, from one generation to another so maybe "suntan" can do also.

However since genetics tell us that humanity came from one original pair in North Africa, they were presumably pretty black to start with.

As I say, this is only assumption based on personal observation, as well as one scientific experiment with diet using a whole village as subjects. There is no absolute proof of any of it.

Is evolution still false?
Iredia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:24:38 AM
An argument or argument(s) and evidence over time which make my presuppositions (deism and ID) untenable. This is very unlikely. But then again, I would have said so of turning apostate.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.