Jump to topic:

Biblical Concept of Hell

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 1:42:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is it possible for an all-loving God and the Biblical concept of Hell to co-exist?

How can an all-loving God allow people to go to Hell for nothing more than choosing the wrong religion (or not choosing one at all) or having an abnormal sexual preference?

To believe that an all-loving God would allow such punishment for such "sins" is completely self-contradictory.
I would like to hear the justifications of people who actually believe in this nonsense.
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 2:51:01 PM
The biblical concept of Hell was derived from the ancient Egyptian religion's conception of Hell as a lake of fire where really bad souls are eternally tortured. Ordinary bad souls, being found wanting of appeal after being weighed against a feather on the scales of justice are sent back to earth reincarnated as pigs which is where the Jewish pork prohibition also originates. Judaism and hence Christianity took quite a bit of Egypt's religious ideas and recast them. Like us Jews did with Canaanite and Sumerian and Babylonian, Iranian and even Hindu religious ideas. The patriarchy idea actually originates with Brahminism which overthrew Kali worship and installed Brahmin Vedic Hinduism in its place. Father replaced Mother and the Abrahamic (Brahma/Sarasvati/Ghaggar = Abraham/Sarah/Hagar) religions thus adopted the Hindu patriarchal prejudice against Goddess worship. Asherah was divorced from EL and Yahweh and only the ethereal and spiritually weak Shekkinah and Sophia and Holy Ghost are left as traces of the Great Goddess.

Without a Divine Feminine Great Spirit in human spiritual consciousness, all females will pay the price of lower social status as quite stupid men self-elevate themselves and put a curse on their societies of perpetual male territorial warfare for domination and control. In our times, Judaism and Pauline Christianity have been forced to cede power to women but Muslims still are backward and don't get the point that without feminine counterbalance to masculine consciousness, societies just don't work right. Way too much Yang creates the world we see around us today, yesterday, but hopefully not tomorrow as She Returns to rule..
ThreePointOneFour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 6:10:38 PM
I have pondered on this for quite a while. Hell is the resolution for Christian sinner. Sin is the only justification for god's hiddenness and hell. Jesus amended the OT Law and consequently almost every natural human thought or desire contains some element of conflict with gods desire. His broad-stroke of ambiguity burdens adherents with internal conflicts, irrational feelings of guilt, wickedness, unworthiness and low self esteem. Hell supposedly is a place for the judged and somehow separate from the omnipresence of god.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 10:23:01 PM
At 2/23/2014 1:42:10 PM, Romanii wrote:
Is it possible for an all-loving God and the Biblical concept of Hell to co-exist?

How can an all-loving God allow people to go to Hell for nothing more than choosing the wrong religion (or not choosing one at all) or having an abnormal sexual preference?

To believe that an all-loving God would allow such punishment for such "sins" is completely self-contradictory.
I would like to hear the justifications of people who actually believe in this nonsense.

Don't worry. There's no where in the prophecies that shows a hell exists. But what they do show is that ALL God's people in the flesh will perish during this age. Then we'll awaken in new flesh and will never be deceived of the Truth again. The Truth being our Creator and our true invisible existence within the mind of our Creator.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 10:24:08 PM
Check out this prophecy;

Jeremiah 31
31: "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
32: not like the covenant which I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the LORD.
33: But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34: And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, `Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 9:05:30 AM
At 2/23/2014 10:24:08 PM, bornofgod wrote:
Check out this prophecy;

Jeremiah 31
31: "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
32: not like the covenant which I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the LORD.
33: But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34: And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, `Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

Isn't it kind of super hypocritical of you to use Jewish Scriptures to support your case and yet say Scriptures are meaningless and untrue? Remember, isn't this the year your doomsday predictions are supposed to come true?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 9:24:52 AM
At 2/24/2014 9:05:30 AM, biomystic wrote:
At 2/23/2014 10:24:08 PM, bornofgod wrote:
Check out this prophecy;

Jeremiah 31

Isn't it kind of super hypocritical of you to use Jewish Scriptures to support your case and yet say Scriptures are meaningless and untrue? Remember, isn't this the year your doomsday predictions are supposed to come true?

I'm not a Christian who don't know our Creator. I'm God's Word where all the original prophecies and writings came from.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 9:45:26 AM

To be fair, there's different flavors of Christians.

Also, some d*ck hole Christians say that people who don't believe in god DESERVE to suffer eternally, and dit was their CHOICE.

I think one is EVIL if they ever say that though.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:02:10 AM
At 2/24/2014 9:45:26 AM, DudeStop wrote:

To be fair, there's different flavors of Christians.

Definitely.

Also, some d*ck hole Christians say that people who don't believe in god DESERVE to suffer eternally, and dit was their CHOICE.

And then they call atheists immoral...

I think one is EVIL if they ever say that though.

Still waiting for some fundie apologists to come along XD
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:09:00 AM

When we're talking about Hell, we're talking about judgment. The concept of judgment is not anything new in that our courts practice judging/convicting, and sentencing all of the time. If you can agree that we violate divine law, then the question of judgment is inevitable. Do you believe that we humans violate divine law?
Soulja_n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:13:25 AM

I believe in God but not in hell... weird but true...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:25:24 AM
At 2/24/2014 10:13:25 AM, Soulja_n wrote:

Not weird at all. That's the rational belief to have.
Soulja_n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:36:49 AM
At 2/24/2014 10:25:24 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/24/2014 10:13:25 AM, Soulja_n wrote:

Not weird at all. That's the rational belief to have.

Glad I'm not alone on it... I just cannot wrap my mind around the whole "hell" place...
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:41:31 AM
At 2/24/2014 10:09:00 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

When we're talking about Hell, we're talking about judgment. The concept of judgment is not anything new in that our courts practice judging/convicting, and sentencing all of the time. If you can agree that we violate divine law, then the question of judgment is inevitable. Do you believe that we humans violate divine law?

Of course we sin, but an all-loving God cannot be capable of such harsh judgement.

Especially when the people who are "sinning" don't necessarily even KNOW they are sinning. They think what they are doing is right, and have no way of knowing otherwise.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 6:27:40 AM
At 2/24/2014 10:41:31 AM, Romanii wrote:

Of course we sin, but an all-loving God cannot be capable of such harsh judgement.

Do you think God judges at all? Does God punish for instance?

Especially when the people who are "sinning" don't necessarily even KNOW they are sinning. They think what they are doing is right, and have no way of knowing otherwise.
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you give me an example?
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 8:14:22 AM
At 2/25/2014 6:27:40 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Setting up a system where humans "send themselves to hell" is no better than personally judging humans.

Most Muslims think they're right with every bit as much fervor as most Christians.
Hinduism and Confucianism/Taoism/Buddhism are so interwined in the cultures of their respective regions (India and East Asia) that their is almost no difference between being Indian and being Hindu/being Asian and being Confucian/Taoist/Buddhist.
Most atheists have perfectly valid reasons for their beliefs.

No one is a non-Christian KNOWING they're sinning, yet according to the Bible, they get punished with eternal torture for it.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 8:26:42 AM
The answer is simple: sins warrant punishment and all sins are equal. The puniahment for sin is seperation from God (ie. Hell). A pardon has been offered, but because it is not right to force anyone to go to Heaven, if you don't end up there its because you chose not to accept the pardon.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 8:49:56 AM
At 2/25/2014 8:14:22 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 2/25/2014 6:27:40 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Setting up a system where humans "send themselves to hell" is no better than personally judging humans.

My question was:

I recall you making the comment that the God of the Bible is unfair because He reveals Himself to some and not others. That being the case, if God revealed Himself to you as Jesus Christ (Son of God, advocate of the Father, pathway to God), and revealed as is a common testimony among believers that He loves you, you would be faced with the dilemma of either having to change your view on the Biblical concept of Hell, or reject Jesus Christ based on that view even if He revealed Himself to you.

Your argument is either based on the premises that man is not deserving of Hell, or even if deserving, should not be punished that way. I'm not sure which of the 2 ideas you advocate. Do you feel that man is not deserving of Hell?

So there is that problem maintaining that God wouldn't do something, only to find out that He would. And then either having to retract the statement, or continue on even if God revealed Jesus Christ as the Way.

Most Muslims think they're right with every bit as much fervor as most Christians.
Hinduism and Confucianism/Taoism/Buddhism are so interwined in the cultures of their respective regions (India and East Asia) that their is almost no difference between being Indian and being Hindu/being Asian and being Confucian/Taoist/Buddhist.
Most atheists have perfectly valid reasons for their beliefs.

No one is a non-Christian KNOWING they're sinning, yet according to the Bible, they get punished with eternal torture for it.
For one, it's not an issue of choosing which is the right religion. I say that because identifying oneself as a Christian doesn't make one a child of God. The Gospel message is not a western or European (for lack of a better term) religion. The Gospel message spread throughout the continent of Asia (including India) just as it did Europe (and of course originated in Asia). Yes, countries in Asia adopted certain religions that became cultural religions that became akin to ethnicity. But it's really no different than cultural Christianity in America in that many who people who convert to Christianity were already cultural Christians. And in Israel, the very ones who one would think would associate themselves with the God of Israel, rejected the God of Israel (when rejecting Christ), and still remained associated with the cultural religion. This of course is the Biblical rendition that Hebrews would certainly disagree with.

What is also noteworthy is that those who present the argument you do, have pretty much a full understanding of the Gospel message. And have had it most of their post infant life when they were able to make their own decisions.

There are studies, generally ignored done by those who have walked the walk as missionaries. Some of them have answered questions regarding the idea that many societies untouched by western influence had no exposure to the Gospel message.

http://www.net-burst.net...
CynicalDiogenes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 9:10:43 AM

Romanii, I think I have explained the true christian understanding of the afterlife several times.Catholic Christians,( who still form the majority of Christians world wide) do not believe in an actual hell with fire and sulphur, nor do they believe in a heaven with sense pleasures.

see:
"The kingdom of God is within you"-Luke 17:21
"This perfect life with the Most Holy Trinity - this communion of life and love with the Trinity, with the Virgin Mary, the angels and all the blessed - is called "heaven." Heaven is the ultimate end and fulfillment of the deepest human longings, the state of supreme, definitive happiness."-Catechism of the Catholic Church(1024)

Furthermore,the descriptions of hell that you mentioned are all given in the Book of Revelations, which actually describes a dream(or vision) that John had.It is highly symbolic, and should not be taken at face value.

The 'solo scriptura' people who actually hold such beliefs are a very small minority, and they came up over 1700 years after Christ.I don't think asking them to explain their beliefs rationally would be such a good idea.

Also, Catholics believe that God can be reached through reason alone, but this path is really difficult.They also believe that those who sincerely strive to reach union with God, and who act selflessly according to the dictates of their conscience can also achieve union with him, as grace from God is something that He gives of His own free will.Man cannot tell when and to who it is going to go.

We are aware of multiple paths to achieve this union.We follow our path merely because we believe god himself told us that it is pleasing to him, and that it is a path to achieve union with him.

As Christ himself said,
"For he that is not against us is for us"-Mark 9:40
and
" ........The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions.(hinduism and buddhism)"-Nostra Aetate 2nd para

We respect any tradition that does not contradict our core beliefs.(I admit,with Judaism and Islam, this may be a small problem)

Lastly, We believe that there is tremendous spiritual benefit in restraining from sex out of wedlock that cannot result in procreation.Homosexual relationships lead to separation from God as they cannot possibly produce children.

Thus it is a pitfall that must be overcome.This link might provide you with a better understanding of the true christian view on homosexuality:
http://www.vatican.va...
Seat of Wisdom, pray for us who turn to you!

Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.-St.Thomas Aquinas
All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.~ St.Francis of Assisi
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 9:15:41 AM

Yes, but it depends on your interpretation of Hell.

I don't think he does.

Hell is where a person rejects God's love. They are so turned in on themselves, that even when they know God is good and loving, they utterly reject him. You know how it is when you're grumpy and everyone around you is chirpy? That's what hell is like, because they're still aware of the joy of those in the beatific vision, but due to their own rejection of God, they refuse to go to the light.

But there's many different views of hell.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
rstrats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 6:28:06 AM
Romanii,

re: "...yet according to the Bible, they get punished with eternal torture for it."

I'm not aware of any scripture that says that. What do you have in mind?
rstrats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 6:32:07 AM
CynicalDiogenes,

re: "...the descriptions of hell that you mentioned are all given in the Book of Revelations..."

Any particular reason for adding an "s" at the end of Revelation?
rstrats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 7:38:21 AM
TN05,

re: "..., if you don't end up there its because you chose not to accept the pardon."

Would a person first have to believe that a supreme being exists?
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:30:19 PM

Romanii you are mixed up...
AND... Who said; people go to Hell for nothing more than choosing the wrong religion???!

SCriptures say: "Jesus died for ALL MEN"!!! God wants ALL to be saved!!!
Scriptures tell you.. "ALL MEN are made in the image of God"!
Scriptures tell you.. "GOD IS LOVE"!

Scriptures tell you.. "ALL who LOVE go to heaven" nothing about religion!!!
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 10:52:11 AM
At 2/28/2014 1:30:19 PM, Dogknox wrote:

AND... Who said; people go to Hell for nothing more than choosing the wrong religion???!

So that means that a devout Muslim, Hindu, Jew, or Sikh who loves God can go to heaven?
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 10:58:18 AM

Saved from what? Saved from God himself? That's malevolence.

Saved from sin? What is sin going to do, it doesn't mean anything except in the influence of God. Again, malevolence.

Saved from Satan? Your God is omnipotent and yet he cannot get rid of Satan? If he wanted to save us he is going about it the wrong way... Either malevolence, or incompetence.

Do you see now why we think this argument fails?
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Ipsofacto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 11:09:02 AM
At 3/1/2014 10:58:18 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

Saved from sin? What is sin going to do, it doesn't mean anything except in the influence of God. Again, malevolence.

Saved from Satan? Your God is omnipotent and yet he cannot get rid of Satan? If he wanted to save us he is going about it the wrong way... Either malevolence, or incompetence.

Sswdwm,

You realize you are picking a philosophic fight with Biblical epistemology, right?

Again, you realize the answer to your question is an appeal to Scripture. Something, by your own tacit admission, you do not hold as normative.

Thus, the burden of clarifying what you consider as acceptable evidence would be in order.

Is this a Scriptural argument or a philosophic one?
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 11:15:57 AM
At 3/1/2014 11:09:02 AM, Ipsofacto wrote:

Sswdwm,

You realize you are picking a philosophic fight with Biblical epistemology, right?

Again, you realize the answer to your question is an appeal to Scripture. Something, by your own tacit admission, you do not hold as normative.

Thus, the burden of clarifying what you consider as acceptable evidence would be in order.

I perhaps made the mistake of making such a reply in the religion forum as opposed to the philosophy one.

However what I was replying to appeared to be a (very roundabout) justification for the answer, as opposed to the deduction to an answer.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Ipsofacto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 11:30:11 AM
At 3/1/2014 11:15:57 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 3/1/2014 11:09:02 AM, Ipsofacto wrote:

Sswdwm,

I perhaps made the mistake of making such a reply in the religion forum as opposed to the philosophy one.

However what I was replying to appeared to be a (very roundabout) justification for the answer, as opposed to the deduction to an answer.

Sswdwm,

Understood. By the response, would be, by necessity, be a Scriptural one. Knowing the clear position you hold, I believe it would eventually devolve unto a food-fight.

In short, I'm not convinced that you would enjoy the conversation at all except for some possible eristic pleasure.