Jump to topic:

Einstein did not believe in God

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 9:50:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am annoyed at how many times I see people say Einstein was religious, but that just is not true.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one.You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from religious indoctrination received in youth." -Albert Einstein

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." -Albert Einstein

"During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution, human fantasy created gods in man's own image who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate influence, the phenomenal world... The idea of God in the religions taught at present is a sublimation of that old conception of the gods. Its anthropomorphic character is shown, for instance, by the fact that men appeal to the Divine Being in prayers and plead for the fulfillment of their wishes... In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vase power in the hands of priests." -Albert Einstein

""Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true....Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." -Albert Einstein

Do I need to provide more quotes? To claim that Einstein, who voiced his own opinion on religion, is a religious is wrong. He was not religious, so those of you that have said he is, stop.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
TheSquirrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 10:03:59 AM
At 2/27/2014 9:50:03 AM, SNP1 wrote:
I am annoyed at how many times I see people say Einstein was religious, but that just is not true.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one.You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from religious indoctrination received in youth." -Albert Einstein

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." -Albert Einstein

"During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution, human fantasy created gods in man's own image who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate influence, the phenomenal world... The idea of God in the religions taught at present is a sublimation of that old conception of the gods. Its anthropomorphic character is shown, for instance, by the fact that men appeal to the Divine Being in prayers and plead for the fulfillment of their wishes... In their struggle for the ethical good, teachers of religion must have the stature to give up the doctrine of a personal God, that is, give up that source of fear and hope which in the past placed such vase power in the hands of priests." -Albert Einstein

""Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true....Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." -Albert Einstein

Do I need to provide more quotes? To claim that Einstein, who voiced his own opinion on religion, is a religious is wrong. He was not religious, so those of you that have said he is, stop.

Who cares? I mean, sure it's disengenuos, but as an ex-christian who used to think smart people's opinions on the subject mattered, I can tell you that I learned it from somewhere else, and whenever I used it, I thought it was true.

Anyway, I've learned not to care about the opinions of others on this subject. What matters is evidence.
Everyone in the world could believe in god, and I would still disbelieve.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 10:37:23 AM
Considering how many people try and use that as justification for their belief, I somewhat care. He is not religious, he should not be called religious.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 10:42:29 AM
At 2/27/2014 10:37:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:
Considering how many people try and use that as justification for their belief, I somewhat care. He is not religious, he should not be called religious.

Einstein did have a 'god' though, which for him would have been the TOE. It of course isn't a personal god, just metaphorical.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 10:55:16 AM

Einstein was confused and quotes can also be provided where he seemed to advocate a type of deism as well as atheism, but he never was inclined to any religions. Although there is a quote where is say's the Jesus is the most intriguing character.

"In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support for such views.". (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, p. 214)

"As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life." --Albert Einstein

It tit for tat really
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 11:01:05 AM
At 2/27/2014 10:55:16 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Einstein was confused and quotes can also be provided where he seemed to advocate a type of deism as well as atheism, but he never was inclined to any religions. Although there is a quote where is say's the Jesus is the most intriguing character.

"In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support for such views.". (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, p. 214)

"As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life." --Albert Einstein

It tit for tat really

Can you source your quotes?

"The word 'god' is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." - Einstein (Letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954)

"During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution, human fantasy created gods in man's own image who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate influence, the phenomenal world." - Albert Einstein ( quoted in: 2000 Years of Disbelief, James Haught)

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously." - Albert Einstein ("Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, November 9, 1930)
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 11:01:36 AM

It tit for tat really

I meant the other quote, you had once source for your first one.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 11:02:41 AM

It tit for tat really

Also, no it is not "tit for tat". Einstein flat out said he doesn't believe in the personal God of The Bible. Which is what most people mean when they say "God". Einstein believes in Spinozas God, but that is just Atheism with a smile.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 11:12:45 AM

He was probably an Agnostic Deist of sorts.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 11:15:06 AM
At 2/27/2014 11:02:41 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It tit for tat really

Also, no it is not "tit for tat". Einstein flat out said he doesn't believe in the personal God of The Bible. Which is what most people mean when they say "God". Einstein believes in Spinozas God, but that is just Atheism with a smile.

Who rattled your cage bird brain? Did I say anywhere that Einstein believed in a personal God? No I didn't, I said he rejected religion thus your point is pointless, I never claimed he believed in a personal God. But quotes can be offered where he seems to imply a deistic belief.

Now crawl back from under that rock you spouted from and stay there.

Also if you reply you might as well whistle in the wind. because I won't be able to hear you and neither do I want to.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 11:20:10 AM
At 2/27/2014 11:15:06 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/27/2014 11:02:41 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It tit for tat really

Who rattled your cage bird brain? Did I say anywhere that Einstein believed in a personal God? No I didn't, I said he rejected religion thus your point is pointless, I never claimed he believed in a personal God. But quotes can be offered where he seems to imply a deistic belief.

Now crawl back from under that rock you spouted from and stay there.

Also if you reply you might as well whistle in the wind. because I won't be able to hear you and neither do I want to.

Why you so rude and angry? Did you mom put your pants on too tight this morning?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 12:19:00 PM
I heard someone said that Einstein was fascinated by the concept of transubstantiation. Any truth in that?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 7:30:15 PM
"God does not play dice with the universe." Al Einstein

Anyone who uses "God" in the way Albert did cannot be considered an atheist. Perhaps Einstein was confused as he doesn't seem to understand the contradiction between this statement above and his denial of belief in a personal God. A non-personal "god" is nothing. What would it be? It's Nature by any other definition so we're back to Einstein's use of the world "God". Personally, I think his humanitarianism comes from Christian theology--it's lip-service in Judaism because of being squelched under tons of anti-Gentile prejudice, i.e. blanket racism. You can't be a humanitarian and a racist at the same time, not really. So Judaism isn't humanitarian--it's for Jews only. That's why God sent in Christ to correct the great spiritual error of Judaism.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 9:27:16 PM

It tit for tat really

Einstein was far from being a deist. He, by profession, was a pantheist.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 2:22:11 AM
At 2/27/2014 10:42:29 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

Einstein did have a 'god' though, which for him would have been the TOE. It of course isn't a personal god, just metaphorical.

His God wasn't just metaphorical. His God was expressed by the beauty of how nature worked in his eyes. That's still a God.
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 2:25:39 PM
At 2/28/2014 2:22:11 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

His God wasn't just metaphorical. His God was expressed by the beauty of how nature worked in his eyes. That's still a God.

This is such a logical ERROR, why do people persist in it who otherwise show some intelligence is mysterious to me but it exists. Even Einstein wasn't immune and we have another Deist posting who also promotes the irrational doctrine. I'm sorry, Deists, but Deism is not about God worship at all. The "God" of Deists is absolutely indistinguishable from well know definitions of Nature. There is no God is Nature if everything works "naturally". "God" is a Spirit and thus by definition is Supernatural, i.e. Outside of natural events. Natural events in themselves cannot "speak" like human beings speak, giving commands to do this and that. Natural events just are. If "God" is likened to this and just IS without any difference from Nature and natural events, there is no real "God" being communicated as Deity. Deity = Nature = Natural events = No God by definition of "God" as opposed to definition of "Nature".

So when Einstein uses the word "God" in the phrase "God does not play dice with the universe." I don't think it's possible to make a Deist argument for Einstein as Nature supposedly according to scientists follows Random Chance without any "God" factor in it. Einstein believed in God but was mixed up about his beliefs. That's the bottom line I see and I'm never wrong except sometimes..
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:23:12 PM
At 2/28/2014 2:25:39 PM, biomystic wrote:
At 2/28/2014 2:22:11 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

This is such a logical ERROR, why do people persist in it who otherwise show some intelligence is mysterious to me but it exists. Even Einstein wasn't immune and we have another Deist posting who also promotes the irrational doctrine. I'm sorry, Deists, but Deism is not about God worship at all. The "God" of Deists is absolutely indistinguishable from well know definitions of Nature. There is no God is Nature if everything works "naturally". "God" is a Spirit and thus by definition is Supernatural, i.e. Outside of natural events. Natural events in themselves cannot "speak" like human beings speak, giving commands to do this and that. Natural events just are. If "God" is likened to this and just IS without any difference from Nature and natural events, there is no real "God" being communicated as Deity. Deity = Nature = Natural events = No God by definition of "God" as opposed to definition of "Nature".

First of all, deism is not the belief God, alone, equals nature; you're right in saying deists do not believe God is above nature, or is metaphysical; but, God, to the deists is merely a first cause. The belief God equals nature is called pantheism, and Einstein, if anything, was a pantheist.

Secondly, to say all nature, except for humans, is incapable of communication is one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard. For something to be outside the realm of communication, it could neither stimulate nor respond to stimulation. Even at its most elemental level, all atomic energy is in communication. For, all atomic and subatomic particles stimulate and respond to stimuli.

So when Einstein uses the word "God" in the phrase "God does not play dice with the universe." I don't think it's possible to make a Deist argument for Einstein as Nature supposedly according to scientists follows Random Chance without any "God" factor in it. Einstein believed in God but was mixed up about his beliefs. That's the bottom line I see and I'm never wrong except sometimes..
SweetTea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:47:34 PM
I humbly offer this collection of Einstein's quotes on God/Religion, from Stanford University:

Collected Quotes from Albert Einstein
""Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
""Imagination is more important than knowledge."
""Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
""I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
""The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."
""Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
""The only real valuable thing is intuition."
""A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."
""I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."
""God is subtle but he is not malicious."
""Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
""I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
""The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."
""Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
""Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
""Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
""Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
""Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
""Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
""Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it."
""The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
""The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
""God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
""The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking."
""Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."
""Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
""The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."
""We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
""Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
""The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
""Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
""Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity."
""If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
""Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
""As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
""Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
""I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
""In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep."
""The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
""Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves."
""Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"
""No, this trick won't work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
""My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."
""Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever."
""The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."
""Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
""The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
""A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
""The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
""Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
""You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
""One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year."
""...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought."
""He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
""A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
""Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

Call me crazy, but it seems [from many of these remarks] that Einstein believed in God and a Higher/Divine power!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 6:37:01 PM

The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.

Albert Einstein didn't worship false religious gods because He knew that whatever created the visible and invisible realms we live in, the true Creator was much bigger than any religious gods that people of this planet worship. Most physicists come to believe that there is some kind of master designer but they don't know Him anymore than religious people do who worship religious gods who didn't create anything.