Jump to topic:

Should I listen to street preachers?

Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:09:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I go to a University and there are alot of Church groups on campus. I find myself being approached by people alot who end up bringing the conversation to Jesus and Christianity. It particularly seems to happen alot to me because I am Indian and more obviously not Christian than most other people.

I have no problem with religious people, and I respect that they are able to have so much conviction in something, but on the other hand, I don't have any intention of converting. I generally try to at least hear the people out because I don't want to be rude to people that are trying to help me and aren't being malicious, but I feel like I am wasting their time to some extent when they talk for half an hour and get nowhere.

Is it better for me to listen to them for a bit even knowing that they aren't going to convince me or should I just tell them upfront that I'm not interested?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:21:05 AM
At 2/28/2014 9:09:38 AM, Bannanawamajama wrote:
I go to a University and there are alot of Church groups on campus. I find myself being approached by people alot who end up bringing the conversation to Jesus and Christianity. It particularly seems to happen alot to me because I am Indian and more obviously not Christian than most other people.

I have no problem with religious people, and I respect that they are able to have so much conviction in something, but on the other hand, I don't have any intention of converting. I generally try to at least hear the people out because I don't want to be rude to people that are trying to help me and aren't being malicious, but I feel like I am wasting their time to some extent when they talk for half an hour and get nowhere.

Is it better for me to listen to them for a bit even knowing that they aren't going to convince me or should I just tell them upfront that I'm not interested?

I prefer the blunt method: "Listen, I appreciate what your trying to do, and I wish you luck, but you're wasting your time here."
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:05:42 PM

Bannanawamajama good to meet you..
QUESTION: Do you ever try the reverse.. "Do you try to turn them to your religion"? After all they should be open to your thoughts if they are truly interested in your well being!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:31:42 AM

They preach something, I think you should preach back.

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:44:50 AM
At 3/3/2014 4:31:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity

Atheism is like the opposite of all of those things.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:48:42 AM
At 3/3/2014 4:44:50 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity

My mistake......

It's in the bible, therefore it's true. How's that ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:50:06 AM
At 3/3/2014 4:48:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity

My mistake......

My mistake......

It's in "The God Delusion", therefore it's true. How is that?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:53:04 AM
At 3/3/2014 4:50:06 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity

My mistake......

My mistake......

Don't be silly, God didn't write the God delusion, but he did write the bible..............right ?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:54:55 AM
At 3/3/2014 4:53:04 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity

My mistake......

My mistake......

Don't be silly, God didn't write the God delusion, but he did write the bible..............right ?

No-one believes God wrote the Bible, dude.

You sound really misinformed about Christianity.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 4:59:13 AM
At 3/3/2014 4:54:55 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/3/2014 4:53:04 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Critical thinking
Skepticism
Objectivity

My mistake......

My mistake......

No-one believes God wrote the Bible, dude.

You sound really misinformed about Christianity.

It's in the bible, therefore we should believe it's true ?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 11:52:08 PM

God has me preaching His gospel on the streets of Campbell, CA. He has thousands of believers listening to Him now.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 12:21:59 AM

It depends on what you want to get out of the interaction. If you have no interest in debating, and no interest in what they're selling, then you should feel free to tell them that--it likely won't deter them unless you explicitly tell them to go away, because they know they're doing a "hard sell". If wasting their time but listening to them is enjoyable for you, don't feel bad about that, either.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 5:59:08 AM
My friend once spoke to the wife of a street preacher who has a stand in the town centre on Fridays. She was giving him a driving lesson. As he was driving, she said "God will destroy the Heathens and the Jews in a sea of Holy fire".

Now you or I would stop interacting with a person after we'd said that and got no response, but she decided to wipe ash off the car to imitate what she believed was going to happen to the Jews and the Heathens afterward.

Street preachers are very rarely true Christians.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 10:21:09 AM

That is interesting that you feel you are wasting their time. That is very polite of you. I think everyone should immediate switch to what you believe.
Think of it.
- Nobody is a pushy j.a.
- everyone is willing to listen.

We would all get along.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 11:32:23 AM
At 3/4/2014 5:59:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
My friend once spoke to the wife of a street preacher who has a stand in the town centre on Fridays. She was giving him a driving lesson. As he was driving, she said "God will destroy the Heathens and the Jews in a sea of Holy fire".

Now you or I would stop interacting with a person after we'd said that and got no response, but she decided to wipe ash off the car to imitate what she believed was going to happen to the Jews and the Heathens afterward.

Street preachers are very rarely true Christians.

All God's true saints were homeless street preachers of the true gospel who knew that antichrists were stealing their words and starting a false religion called Christianity to preach their false gospels to anyone willing to be controlled by them and make them a living for doing nothing but lying to them.