Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Fact or fiction?

Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
XLAV
Posts: 13,704
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 9:40:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt. - False
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib. - False
A snake once spoke. - False
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit. - False
Eating fruit can make people wise. - False

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
bulproof
Posts: 25,175
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 9:49:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:40:32 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt. - False
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib. - False
A snake once spoke. - False
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit. - False
Eating fruit can make people wise. - False

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

You men, you mean it's....it's ......it's ...............all a lie.

Mother of Mary save us.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
biomystic
Posts: 606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 11:21:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Skyangle likes pointing out the obvious and thinking she's found IT! The Truth! Why my God these old religious stories are fictions! Holy Cow!

While the rest of us figured out the Bible stories should only be taken allegorically quite a few years ago. Catch up, skyangle. Someday you might even figure out your Deism's "God" is identical to what everyone usually describes as "Nature".
Dogknox
Posts: 5,039
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 12:06:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
So says you...

Numbers 22:26
Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left.
27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff.
28 Then the Lord opened the donkey"s mouth, and it said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 1:01:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

At 3/2/2014 12:06:10 AM, Dogknox wrote:
So says you...

Numbers 22:26
Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left.
27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff.
28 Then the Lord opened the donkey"s mouth, and it said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"

So Dogknox,

You want to believe in a literal talking Donkey because your Cult propaganda says so then you must be consistent & also believe in IMMORTAL WORMS! LMAO at YOU!

where their worm does not die . . . . (Mark 9:48) RSV Satanic verses catholic 1966 propaganda bible version

I wonder if your alleged catholic Noah took two immortal worms on his ark, or may be not as like you Noah believed they couldn't drown because they were immortal, so he let them swim behind! LMAO at Dogknox!
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 11:30:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

You lack the faith to believe outside of what appears normal. This is close minded.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Fox-McCloud
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 11:57:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 11:30:52 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

You lack the faith to believe outside of what appears normal. This is close minded.

No, it is not close minded. It is skeptical. Why would anyone believe extraordinary claims without evidence? You can call that close minded all you want, but I bet you do not believe in Zeus, Allah and Thor either. Actually I find myself pretty open minded. Show me the evidence and I will be forced to change my believes.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,370
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 12:34:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent being created the Universe?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:22:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 11:21:28 PM, biomystic wrote:
Skyangle likes pointing out the obvious and thinking she's found IT! The Truth! Why my God these old religious stories are fictions! Holy Cow!

While the rest of us figured out the Bible stories should only be taken allegorically quite a few years ago. Catch up, skyangle. Someday you might even figure out your Deism's "God" is identical to what everyone usually describes as "Nature".

There are still many gullible children and adults in this world who need to have the obvious pointed out to them due to actually thinking the bible stories are historical accounts.

All supernatural gods and entities are mythical creations created by mankind.

Truth is the reality of life which you can observe all around you.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:28:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 12:06:10 AM, Dogknox wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
So says you...

Numbers 22:26
Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left.
27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff.
28 Then the Lord opened the donkey"s mouth, and it said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"


Why don't you put fact or fiction after the statements?
Do you actually think a donkey or a snake spoke ?
Are you one of those gullible people who believes all bible stories are literal and historical?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:35:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 11:30:52 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

You lack the faith to believe outside of what appears normal. This is close minded.

When I was a child, I thought as a child. When I grew up, I put away childish things. You might too one day when you grow up. However, you can also choose to remain gullible all your life. The choice is yours but gullible adults deserve to get thoroughly teased.

Close minded people are those who refuse to expand their mind to understand that no story with talking animals can be taken literally. No part of it can be taken literally.
Valiente
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:41:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

God designed your mouth and brain and you can speak. So it stands to reason that God can do that with other creatures as well. In fact, given that God is all-powerful, what would be your argument that God cannot do something so trivial?
ExsurgeDomine
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:52:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?

The two are not mutually exclusive.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:53:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 12:34:24 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent being created the Universe?

No, Life in a general sense is not an intelligent being or some supernatural entity. Not all of life has intelligence since not all of life has a brain or an ability to reason. Life is an energy, a force, a principle which includes death and all the many different cycles of reproduction.

It simply makes no sense at all that life came from anything other than the life before it.
The story which basically says " Once upon a time there was no life at all." is a myth which the gullible like to believe.

I prefer to believe Life in general has always existed and is self sustaining in its repetitive cycles. Life creates itself and also destroys itself. That is what makes the most logical sense to me. That process can be observed by anyone in any generation.

Living things cannot live without dying and at the same time cannot die without living.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,370
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:59:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 4:53:56 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/2/2014 12:34:24 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent being created the Universe?

No, Life in a general sense is not an intelligent being or some supernatural entity. Not all of life has intelligence since not all of life has a brain or an ability to reason. Life is an energy, a force, a principle which includes death and all the many different cycles of reproduction.

It simply makes no sense at all that life came from anything other than the life before it.
The story which basically says " Once upon a time there was no life at all." is a myth which the gullible like to believe.

I prefer to believe Life in general has always existed and is self sustaining in its repetitive cycles. Life creates itself and also destroys itself. That is what makes the most logical sense to me. That process can be observed by anyone in any generation.

Living things cannot live without dying and at the same time cannot die without living.
What proof do you have that there was no beginning, and will be no end? Why is your view, or the way you prefer to believe it any less gullible?
Dogknox
Posts: 5,039
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:06:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 4:28:32 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/2/2014 12:06:10 AM, Dogknox wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
So says you...

Numbers 22:26
Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left.
27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff.
28 Then the Lord opened the donkey"s mouth, and it said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"


Why don't you put fact or fiction after the statements?
Do you actually think a donkey or a snake spoke ?
Are you one of those gullible people who believes all bible stories are literal and historical?

Skyangel Creation was not done in one thousand years!! BUT..
Skyangel but there was a "Fall of Man"... There was a SIN by man that caused God' perfect creation to be corrupted!! man sinned and corrupted creation. otherwise we would not be in need of redemption today!!

The first man was created PERFECT because God does all things PERFECT! The first man was created without sin he was created to live forever!

Sin brings death! "The wages of sin is death"!

The perfect man choose to sin the perfect man corrupted creation SOOOO...
Skyangel so here is where Jesus comes in... The second PERFECT Man died to pay for the first perfect mans sin!!

Jesus popped up out of the grave, because Jesus remained perfect right up to his death; Jesus was killed yet Jesus was without sin!! Jesus did not stay dead because sin brings death.. Jesus was sin-less!

Skyangel nothing can die more then one time....
YOU......
Skyangel you can't even kill a stinking old mangy dog twice!!!! They can only die one time also!!

Jesus died, Jesus cannot die again, he has been there, he has done that!!!
Jesus rose he RESURRECTED from the dead... All who are ADDED to Jesus' resurrected body will never die!!! As long as you remain "IN Jesus" you will rise!!!

56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:09:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 4:41:05 PM, Valiente wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

God designed your mouth and brain and you can speak. So it stands to reason that God can do that with other creatures as well. In fact, given that God is all-powerful, what would be your argument that God cannot do something so trivial?

Please define this God to which you refer.
I interpret the word God as LIFE.
Look at what happens when I replace the word God in your statement with the word Life.

LIFE designed your mouth and brain and you can speak. So it stands to reason that LIFE can do that with other creatures as well. In fact, given that LIFE is all-powerful, what would be your argument that LIFE cannot do something so trivial?

Designing a mouth and brain in those life forms which have those things is normal for Life but Life has principles by which it abides. It tends to create human mouths and brains for humans and animal mouths and brains for animals. It does not give snakes and donkeys the ability to speak to humans in any human language.
It might give parrots the ability to imitate human sounds but even then you need to question if the parrot actually understands what it is saying. Many believers in invisible gods are like parrots. They merely say what they have been trained to say and really have no clue what they are talking about.

Life tends to abide by its own principles of reproduction. It has many cycles of reproductions which all produce different types of life. Some can be mixed and matched. Others cannot. The various blueprints are within the various life forms. The seed is within itself. The design is within itself. Future life all comes from present life which comes from past life. LIFE was and IS and is to come for all eternity.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:18:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 4:52:27 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Reality contains fiction and the lessons portrayed in fictional stories can be based on reality but donkeys and snakes who speak to humans in human language do not exist in reality and there is no proof they ever have. Therefore it is more logical to believe talking animals are fictional than factual.

No person who thinks with a mature mind will take any bible stories literally simply because there is too much fantasy and magic all the way through it. It is a book of illusions filled with myths.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:39:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 4:59:20 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/2/2014 4:53:56 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/2/2014 12:34:24 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent being created the Universe?

No, Life in a general sense is not an intelligent being or some supernatural entity. Not all of life has intelligence since not all of life has a brain or an ability to reason. Life is an energy, a force, a principle which includes death and all the many different cycles of reproduction.

It simply makes no sense at all that life came from anything other than the life before it.
The story which basically says " Once upon a time there was no life at all." is a myth which the gullible like to believe.

I prefer to believe Life in general has always existed and is self sustaining in its repetitive cycles. Life creates itself and also destroys itself. That is what makes the most logical sense to me. That process can be observed by anyone in any generation.

Living things cannot live without dying and at the same time cannot die without living.
What proof do you have that there was no beginning, and will be no end? Why is your view, or the way you prefer to believe it any less gullible?

What proof would you accept? There is no tangible proof of any intangible concepts. "The beginning and end" are intangible concepts in the big picture of eternity. Eternity has no beginning or end. It just IS and WAS and always will be.
Can you prove when "NOW" begins or ends? Does it not "end" as soon as you try to pin point the beginning of it? "NOW" is eternal yet it is always coming and going at the very same time.

The same principle applies to life in general. Any beginning and end in human judgment is relative and never objective.
Life in reality today is proof of life in the past and the same principle applies to past life and the life before that and the life before that, etc, etc, etc. Do the maths. The principle is eternal. You can never get to the place where there once was no life at all because life only comes from life and from nothing else. "Omne vivum ex vivo"

That principle and FACT of life coming from life logically makes life eternal in a general sense even though it is temporary in an individual sense. It is constantly coming and going the same as "NOW"
To prove it is not eternal one would need to prove that life did not come from life in the first place. Can you prove that? I cannot because I constantly observe life reproducing life. I have never observed any life form being reproduced by something which was not a life form. Have you?

To imagine it might have happened in the past without any evidence of it happening is sheer foolishness.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:59:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 5:06:48 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Skyangel Creation was not done in one thousand years!! BUT..
Skyangel but there was a "Fall of Man"... There was a SIN by man that caused God' perfect creation to be corrupted!! man sinned and corrupted creation. otherwise we would not be in need of redemption today!!

The first man was created PERFECT because God does all things PERFECT! The first man was created without sin he was created to live forever!

Sin brings death! "The wages of sin is death"!

The perfect man choose to sin the perfect man corrupted creation SOOOO...
Skyangel so here is where Jesus comes in... The second PERFECT Man died to pay for the first perfect mans sin!!

Jesus popped up out of the grave, because Jesus remained perfect right up to his death; Jesus was killed yet Jesus was without sin!! Jesus did not stay dead because sin brings death.. Jesus was sin-less!

Skyangel nothing can die more then one time....
YOU......
Skyangel you can't even kill a stinking old mangy dog twice!!!! They can only die one time also!!

Jesus died, Jesus cannot die again, he has been there, he has done that!!!
Jesus rose he RESURRECTED from the dead... All who are ADDED to Jesus' resurrected body will never die!!! As long as you remain "IN Jesus" you will rise!!!

56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.

Would you please answer the questions I asked you.

Do you actually think a donkey or a snake spoke ?

Are you one of those gullible people who believes all bible stories are literal and historical?

When you have answered those maybe you would like to take your parroted statements and explain what it all means to you?

What exactly is sin?

Why would a perfect man choose to sin in the first place?

Since the wages of sin is death, did the first man die as a consequence of his own sins?

If he did, why would a second perfect man need to pay for a first perfect mans sins when the first man already paid the price of death for his own sins?

Where is any proof that anyone at all popped out of a literal grave?

If Jesus was sinless, Jesus could not have died because death is the result of sin.

Have you been "added to Jesus resurrected body" ?

Are you going to die or will you never die?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 6:04:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 5:40:11 PM, Composer wrote:
At 3/2/2014 5:18:09 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Reality contains fiction . . . .
Reality is non-fiction!

Yes it is Robert but are not all fictional stories contained in the reality of this life? Can you go a library and find real fictional books? Can you watch TV and see real fictional movies?
Can you go to a magic show and watch any illusions?
Does reality contain illusions of reality or not?
If not, why are so many people fooled and deceived by illusions, mirages, visions etc. ?
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 6:45:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.

Actually scientists have recently discovered that the first species evolved from amino acids in dirt, so that is actually true.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 6:47:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 11:57:49 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
At 3/2/2014 11:30:52 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

You lack the faith to believe outside of what appears normal. This is close minded.

No, it is not close minded. It is skeptical. Why would anyone believe extraordinary claims without evidence? You can call that close minded all you want, but I bet you do not believe in Zeus, Allah and Thor either. Actually I find myself pretty open minded. Show me the evidence and I will be forced to change my believes.

Well, in all fairness I accept the uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, super-positions, and many other tenets of quantum mechanics, but all I really have to convince me is the words of others who claim to have measured them in ways I cannot, and do not claim to fully understand.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 7:35:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 6:45:31 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.

Actually scientists have recently discovered that the first species evolved from amino acids in dirt, so that is actually true.

What exactly are these "first species" you are referring to and who determines if they are actually 'first" of anything or merely just another one of many?
They have discovered no such thing regarding any "first species" since no hypothetical "first species" exists for them to observe their formation or evolution. It is all hypothetical. Besides that any man made experiments are controlled by man. The people who do the experiments are not observing something that happens without any human interference. They are creating the outcomes which they want to see.

Whatever life is in dirt can only reproduce life after its own kind. It does not evolve into a different form of life and a grown man does not literally evolve from dirt in one day. Neither does a grown man evolve from any dirt or slowly change form from a different life form over billions of years .
Humans are created through the human reproductive system which takes less than a year to form a baby and depending on which culture you live in, can take 7 to 21 years to be considered mature enough to be independent of adult supervision.

A single cell in a mothers womb takes less than a year to form a human in reality so there is no reason to believe humans took billions of years to evolve from a single cell. All humans must logically have come from a human parent. To believe humans ever came from anything else is nothing but speculation and sheer stupidity.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 7:41:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 6:47:41 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 3/2/2014 11:57:49 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
At 3/2/2014 11:30:52 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.

You lack the faith to believe outside of what appears normal. This is close minded.

No, it is not close minded. It is skeptical. Why would anyone believe extraordinary claims without evidence? You can call that close minded all you want, but I bet you do not believe in Zeus, Allah and Thor either. Actually I find myself pretty open minded. Show me the evidence and I will be forced to change my believes.

Well, in all fairness I accept the uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, super-positions, and many other tenets of quantum mechanics, but all I really have to convince me is the words of others who claim to have measured them in ways I cannot, and do not claim to fully understand.

What exactly are you uncertain about when it comes to human reproduction? Are you uncertain that babies come from their own mothers wombs? Are you uncertain that humans come from humans?
IF so, what makes you uncertain of that FACT ?

As far as I can tell there is nothing uncertain about it.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,370
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 7:55:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 5:39:07 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/2/2014 4:59:20 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/2/2014 4:53:56 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 3/2/2014 12:34:24 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent being created the Universe?

No, Life in a general sense is not an intelligent being or some supernatural entity. Not all of life has intelligence since not all of life has a brain or an ability to reason. Life is an energy, a force, a principle which includes death and all the many different cycles of reproduction.

It simply makes no sense at all that life came from anything other than the life before it.
The story which basically says " Once upon a time there was no life at all." is a myth which the gullible like to believe.

I prefer to believe Life in general has always existed and is self sustaining in its repetitive cycles. Life creates itself and also destroys itself. That is what makes the most logical sense to me. That process can be observed by anyone in any generation.

Living things cannot live without dying and at the same time cannot die without living.
What proof do you have that there was no beginning, and will be no end? Why is your view, or the way you prefer to believe it any less gullible?

What proof would you accept? There is no tangible proof of any intangible concepts. "The beginning and end" are intangible concepts in the big picture of eternity. Eternity has no beginning or end. It just IS and WAS and always will be.
How about giving me scientific proof. That's always a good way to start. All you've given me is your philosophical views. I'm not arguing against eternity. However, scientifically speaking, the universe is dying.
Can you prove when "NOW" begins or ends? Does it not "end" as soon as you try to pin point the beginning of it? "NOW" is eternal yet it is always coming and going at the very same time.


The same principle applies to life in general. Any beginning and end in human judgment is relative and never objective.
Life in reality today is proof of life in the past and the same principle applies to past life and the life before that and the life before that, etc, etc, etc. Do the maths. The principle is eternal. You can never get to the place where there once was no life at all because life only comes from life and from nothing else. "Omne vivum ex vivo"

That principle and FACT of life coming from life logically makes life eternal in a general sense even though it is temporary in an individual sense. It is constantly coming and going the same as "NOW"
To prove it is not eternal one would need to prove that life did not come from life in the first place. Can you prove that? I cannot because I constantly observe life reproducing life. I have never observed any life form being reproduced by something which was not a life form. Have you?

To imagine it might have happened in the past without any evidence of it happening is sheer foolishness.
Like it or not, your physical body is coming to an end. Our physical bodies are decaying, and will come to an end. That doesn't mean that life won't go on.

In similar fashion, scientific evidence reveals that the universe is coming to an end as well. And in similar fashion, the end of the universe as we know it doesn't mean that eternity won't continue on.

You've made a certain assertion to an aspect of gullibility (and tossed in foolishness). Of course your reference to gullibility is centered around the Bible. But it begs the question, is someone who believes in, or even admits to a possibility of an intelligent creator not associated with a religion (like the deistic impersonal creator) also gullible? How about one who will only go as far as to say the universe had a beginning and will come to an end, and that's all we know from a scientific perspective without any reference to an intelligent creator? Is that person gullible?
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 8:02:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/2/2014 12:34:24 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 3/1/2014 9:33:50 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Are the following statements fiction or could they have ever happened in reality?
Please answer True or false to each statement.

Man was created from dirt.
A woman magically appeared from a mans rib.
A snake once spoke.
A tree once produced knowledge as a fruit.
Eating fruit can make people wise.

Any story which contains talking animals is a myth or fable and ought never be taken literally.
Do you think it's possible that an intelligent being created the Universe?

I think it's possible. If it is the case it almost certainly is a being who just set the ball rolling and didn't take any further part. Shermer made an amusing speculation, that perhaps a PhD student in a higher universe began this universe as an experiment to see how much life it could produce.

There is zero evidence for this or any other intelligent being, but it's a possibility nonetheless
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...