Jump to topic:

Speaking in tongues

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 12:05:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do you think of speaking in tongues? I know some people who do it, and I dunno... it seems so weird, lol
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 12:19:52 PM
I've seen some people do it. To me, I think it's kinda like a hypnotic trance. A hypnotist could easily cause someone, believer or not to do it.

I heard this funny story about a pentecostal church. Supposedly at a certain age you have to come up in front of people and speak in tongues. This one young man was up next and he was a little nervous. The pastor saw this and he leaned over to him and whispers "Just fake it, we all do." I'm not sure if this is a true story, but I hope it is.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 12:43:06 PM
At 3/3/2014 12:19:52 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
I've seen some people do it. To me, I think it's kinda like a hypnotic trance. A hypnotist could easily cause someone, believer or not to do it.

Ironic that you of all people should say that... lol.

I heard this funny story about a pentecostal church. Supposedly at a certain age you have to come up in front of people and speak in tongues. This one young man was up next and he was a little nervous. The pastor saw this and he leaned over to him and whispers "Just fake it, we all do." I'm not sure if this is a true story, but I hope it is.

Pft... Pentecostals are nuts. They dance with snakes and stuff too. That is sortof funny though ;P

I think the couple of guys I know really do think they're speaking in tongues. I'm pretty skeptical still... Esp. when they claim they get filled with the holy spirit at like 2 in the morning, and go running around seminary speaking in tongues and singing Marian hymns at the top of their lungs... that sounds more like caffeine to me.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 12:44:23 PM
Oh, and you gotta be "prayed over" by someone who has the holy spirit before you can get it.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2014 2:22:58 PM
At 3/3/2014 1:25:12 PM, ExsurgeDomine wrote:
I always thought 'speaking in tongues' just meant speaking in a foreign language.

They draw a distinction between types of tongues. When they say "speaking in tongues" they typically mean "praying in tongues" which has no purpose other than self-edification.