Jump to topic:

Evolution

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 9:58:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
We have the fossils......................................we WIN.

BOOM creationists. hahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 10:02:50 AM
At 3/14/2014 9:58:22 AM, bulproof wrote:

Well return them back to their rightful owner!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 10:50:04 AM

You know most religions don't say the same things as Creationists, right? You aren't some sort of moron, are you?
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 11:50:48 AM

Okay, you guys win, so what? I'm not a YEC and most religions don't agree with the whole "earth being 6000 years old" thing, including mine.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument
http://www.debate.org...

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:33:53 PM
At 3/14/2014 11:50:48 AM, Pitbull15 wrote:

Okay, you guys win, so what? I'm not a YEC and most religions don't agree with the whole "earth being 6000 years old" thing, including mine.

A religion adapting to modern times is the beginning of it's end, even though it's an effort to prolong it. And it will prolong it's survival longer than being dogmatic and sticking with YEC'ist nonsense.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:38:10 PM
At 3/14/2014 12:33:53 PM, monty1 wrote:

A religion adapting to modern times is the beginning of it's end, even though it's an effort to prolong it. And it will prolong it's survival longer than being dogmatic and sticking with YEC'ist nonsense.

Like...how? As in how is it the beginning of its end?

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:51:27 PM
At 3/14/2014 12:38:10 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:

I believe that the religion is compromising it's position out of necessity. The necessity being that it can't continue to pretend that the bible needs to be interpreted literally. Simply put, if it doesn't mean what it says then it's a fake. And of course science proves it to be a fake more and more nearly every day.

Christians can try to question non-believers but they are steadily losing ground because of their need to compromise their beliefs. And of course, the literal believers have become a very small minority who are being questioned for their sanity.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:56:56 PM
At 3/14/2014 12:51:27 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:38:10 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:

I believe that the religion is compromising it's position out of necessity. The necessity being that it can't continue to pretend that the bible needs to be interpreted literally. Simply put, if it doesn't mean what it says then it's a fake. And of course science proves it to be a fake more and more nearly every day.

Nobody in their right mind would take everything in it literally. For example, the Bible mentions Christ is a Rock of Salvation; does that mean He was actually a rock? There's lots of pretty obvious metaphors in the Bible.

Christians can try to question non-believers but they are steadily losing ground because of their need to compromise their beliefs. And of course, the literal believers have become a very small minority who are being questioned for their sanity.

I wouldn't call it compromise, but adapting and realizing the difference between figures of speech and literal speech, reading over and finding something that was missed for a long time, etc. Religion still has a place in our society, just not the atheist part of it.

monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 1:19:49 PM
The rock of salvation being a metaphor of course. And you resort to dishonesty by pointing that out and attempting to parallel it to YEC which is not a metaphor.

Do you see how you have had to resort to compromising your own truthfulness in order to uphold your beliefs?

I know of no other instance where a set of beliefs can be compromised to the extent the bible has been and still remain a credible and truthful submission. All other outdated thinking has moved over and made way for modern established fact.

Christianity is a dying religion and is fading in popularity throughout the world. There is not doubt of that fact even though it's a little slower process in the US due to backwardness of mainly the US south. A backwardness that is similar in many ways to Muslim believers.
srehtiw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:42:04 PM
At 3/14/2014 1:19:49 PM, monty1 wrote:
The rock of salvation being a metaphor of course. And you resort to dishonesty by pointing that out and attempting to parallel it to YEC which is not a metaphor.

Do you see how you have had to resort to compromising your own truthfulness in order to uphold your beliefs?

I know of no other instance where a set of beliefs can be compromised to the extent the bible has been and still remain a credible and truthful submission. All other outdated thinking has moved over and made way for modern established fact.
Try science. The number of compromises science has made over the centuries is far large than the number of compromises any religion has and yet you still view it as a credible explanation of the universe.

Christianity is a dying religion and is fading in popularity throughout the world. There is not doubt of that fact even though it's a little slower process in the US due to backwardness of mainly the US south. A backwardness that is similar in many ways to Muslim believers.