Total Posts:88|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why do atheists hate God?

SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 11:41:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

Atheists do not believe in God, therefore atheists do not hate God. What I personally hate is when people try and halt science by using their religion.

Example: Don't teach evolution, teach the creation!

Denying science for religion? That is what gets me angry. Not God, who almost certainly does not exist, but the overly religious.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Geogeer
Posts: 4,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:07:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

Some atheists really don't care. The angry ones are usually ex-Christians with a chip on their shoulder.
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:08:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I don't think we hate God, but the idea that people force their religion where it has no place being

I personally give 0 fuks about God lol. I have no problem with people worshiping him as long as they keep it to themselves.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults. And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 4:59:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

It could be because you always post about "God" using repetitive topics that are mostly loaded-question fallacies disguised with a sense of curiosity.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 5:24:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Why do religion and science have to be enemies?
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 11:31:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

Despite the fact that most atheists will vehemently deny it, it has become obvious to many readers and writers alike that they seem to harbor a personal dislike (if not downright hate) of God. I won't bother to get into some lengthy argument about it, but it did make me curious enough early last year to spend a week or so researching it. All one needs to do is to Google the term "angry atheist" to see what I mean. I still think that the majority of atheists tend to be rational thinkers, however, and I've enjoyed many a conversation with various atheist persons. It might help that I'm not especially religious, although I do consider myself spiritual. I think that some of them are simply angry at having been treated so unfairly for so long. Others are simply young and angry and needed something to aim their anger at. On the flip-side, there are some pretty angry religionists, too.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 11:32:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 5:24:01 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Why do religion and science have to be enemies?

My sentiments exactly!
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 1:16:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Many theists would say the opposite. But my objection is not with the idea that science is more trustworthy than religion, my objection is with the idea that religion brainwashes young children and forces them to believe so it is bad, but when the same thing is done by science it is fine because science is obviously right. Yeah that's not hypocritical at all.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 2:20:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 12:08:51 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I don't think we hate God, but the idea that people force their religion where it has no place being

I personally give 0 fuks about God lol. I have no problem with people worshiping him as long as they keep it to themselves.

I know it's frustrating, but from a Christian point of view. They have a moral obligation to push their religion on you. If you're a friend of a Christian and they don't make an attempt to "save" you, then they are allowing you to burn in hell for eternity.

When I was a Christian I felt immense guilt at my dad's funeral. I felt like I had sat idly by allowing him to go unsaved. My dad was burning in hell and it was my fault.

On one hand it's annoying as hell, but on the other hand it's just them showing they care.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 4:00:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 2:20:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:08:51 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I don't think we hate God, but the idea that people force their religion where it has no place being

I personally give 0 fuks about God lol. I have no problem with people worshiping him as long as they keep it to themselves.

I know it's frustrating, but from a Christian point of view. They have a moral obligation to push their religion on you. If you're a friend of a Christian and they don't make an attempt to "save" you, then they are allowing you to burn in hell for eternity.

When I was a Christian I felt immense guilt at my dad's funeral. I felt like I had sat idly by allowing him to go unsaved. My dad was burning in hell and it was my fault.

On one hand it's annoying as hell, but on the other hand it's just them showing they care.

I can believe friends, family, and folks like you with your heart felt viewpoint have this sentiment, but there are some Christians who are down right hateful. Probably being anonymous on the internet contributes in a negative way because my RL Christian friends are much more tolerant.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 4:02:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 4:00:00 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 3/15/2014 2:20:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:08:51 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I don't think we hate God, but the idea that people force their religion where it has no place being

I personally give 0 fuks about God lol. I have no problem with people worshiping him as long as they keep it to themselves.

I know it's frustrating, but from a Christian point of view. They have a moral obligation to push their religion on you. If you're a friend of a Christian and they don't make an attempt to "save" you, then they are allowing you to burn in hell for eternity.

When I was a Christian I felt immense guilt at my dad's funeral. I felt like I had sat idly by allowing him to go unsaved. My dad was burning in hell and it was my fault.

On one hand it's annoying as hell, but on the other hand it's just them showing they care.

I can believe friends, family, and folks like you with your heart felt viewpoint have this sentiment, but there are some Christians who are down right hateful. Probably being anonymous on the internet contributes in a negative way because my RL Christian friends are much more tolerant.

Anonymity certainly can bring out people's worst.
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 8:17:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

Because they are immoral baby rapers who are obese, unshaved, like uttering random swear words, as well as drinking and smoking.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
tcpanter
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 9:01:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 1:16:30 AM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Many theists would say the opposite. But my objection is not with the idea that science is more trustworthy than religion, my objection is with the idea that religion brainwashes young children and forces them to believe so it is bad, but when the same thing is done by science it is fine because science is obviously right. Yeah that's not hypocritical at all.

The difference is that raising a child to have a scientific mindset can only be a good thing. Science teaches you to be critical and skeptical and rational. If religion were true people with a good scientific education, even one raised to beleive science is correct, would gravitate towards science. The trouble is that because religion is not true that scientists, and children raised to be scientists, tend to turn away from it. Its only because of that that religions think of science as such a threat and fight against it so much.

As for hating God people have said what I already think. I dont beleive in God so I dont hate God anymore than I hate vampires. But that being said I dont think I could ever truly love a being that asked a man to kill his child and praised him for it. The story would have meant more to me if the guy had refused to do it and God praised him for doing what is right no matter the consequences.
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 12:02:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I hate God just like I hate the Invisible Pink Unicorn. And Santa Claus too!

I also hate Allah, Krishna, Poesiden, Zeus and Thor. And not least of which... Saturn.

See the flaw in your logic yet?
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 12:48:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 1:16:30 AM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Many theists would say the opposite. But my objection is not with the idea that science is more trustworthy than religion, my objection is with the idea that religion brainwashes young children and forces them to believe so it is bad, but when the same thing is done by science it is fine because science is obviously right. Yeah that's not hypocritical at all.

It's not so much either science or religion forcing children to believe as it is 'indoctrinating' children into religious or scientific, respective sets of beliefs. Would you favour isolating children from both religion and science to some degree until they are of an age to make their own decisions?

I could imagine not teaching children either evolution or creation. But what of the children who ask for answers? What to say? Should we resort to the predonderance of evidence to supply an answer?
uncle-creepy
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 2:34:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I have a few guesses.The atheists who aren't actually angry find it difficult to wrap their head around the existence of an unseen supernatural entity that possesses omnipotence,ominpresence,and omniscience.Though I identify myself as a Christian,I can find that understandable.This whole God business is quite tricky to figure out.

I think for others,they see what organized religion-including but not limited to Christianity-has done to our world in a harmful way.All the violence and transgressions done in the name of God can put a bad taste in a mouth or two.

However,I think that a segment of the atheistic population vehemently despises the idea that the existence of God entails that there are certain human behaviors that are not moral and that the engagement of such immoral behavior will be of consequence.Thus,a denial of God's existence offers them a sense of "freedom" to do,say,or think what they want without feeling like they're going to be held accountable for it in the hereafter.

And for the likes of Dawkins,Dennett,Harris,and Hitchens,a hatred of God equates to book sales and the opportunity to proselytize.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 2:38:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 2:34:23 PM, uncle-creepy wrote:
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I have a few guesses.The atheists who aren't actually angry find it difficult to wrap their head around the existence of an unseen supernatural entity that possesses omnipotence,ominpresence,and omniscience.Though I identify myself as a Christian,I can find that understandable.This whole God business is quite tricky to figure out.

I think for others,they see what organized religion-including but not limited to Christianity-has done to our world in a harmful way.All the violence and transgressions done in the name of God can put a bad taste in a mouth or two.

However,I think that a segment of the atheistic population vehemently despises the idea that the existence of God entails that there are certain human behaviors that are not moral and that the engagement of such immoral behavior will be of consequence.Thus,a denial of God's existence offers them a sense of "freedom" to do,say,or think what they want without feeling like they're going to be held accountable for it in the hereafter.

And for the likes of Dawkins,Dennett,Harris,and Hitchens,a hatred of God equates to book sales and the opportunity to proselytize.

Maybe it's more correct to say that Dawkins hates the delusion of a god. That would probably describe what atheists hate more accurately. It's presumptious of Christians to assume more than that.
superflymegastallion
Posts: 370
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 2:44:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?
Because.
uncle-creepy
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 5:09:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults. And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Okay,it's your right and prerogative to not believe that any God exists.If you don't feel 'hatred' for religion,per se,then you are saving yourself a lot of energy and sanity that hating seems to take out of a person.

However,it can not be assumed that every religious person has had their belief system 'indoctrinated' into them.I'm sure that there a lot of logical and reasonable adults who were never raised in a religious home that have come to a belief in God for one reason or another later in their lives.You simply can not exclude this from your thinking.Secondly,while you use some rather curious wording such as "abused children" and "slaves to religion," I couldn't help but notice that there was absolutely nothing within your post that acknowledged that indoctrination isn't just exclusive to so-called "slaves to religion" who were "abused" as children.How come no mention that some people are atheists because they were brought up in an atheistic household? Can you actually say with any degree of certainty that some parent isn't making mention of "invisible sky-daddies," "imaginary friends," or any number of other atheistic cliches to their kids? And while we're at it,how about the vigorous attempts to indoctrinate young and impressionable minds on evolutionism in the classroom? Perhaps I wouldn't get as strong a suspicion that there is a large-scale attempt to indoctrinate (or should I say abuse?) these young and impressionable people if there was no concurrent attempt to show God the exit to the school house.It can not be said that indoctrination is unique to religion.Your point is only partially valid.I identify myself as a Christian but I wanted my children to come across faith/spirituality or non-belief on their own.I never thumped them with a Bible,dragged them to a Sunday church service (too boring for even me),or enrolled them in a Catholic school.

Evolution is not the "only answer." To you and those who are like-minded,it might be.There are significant challenges to evolutionary theory and not 100% of those who doubt it are proponents of creationism/intelligent design.There are some scientists out there who aren't keen on toeing the party line and those who have no affiliation with any religion whatsoever that question the theory or aspects of it.Assuming that evolution is founded on good science,is backed by overwhelming evidence,and that it adequately explains the origins of life and human cognition/behavior,then:

(1)-It doesn't represent the decisive death-blow to God at all.This is just what some hardcore evolutionists want to believe and will try diligently to convince others of.There are some-such as Francis Collins (Human Genome Project)-who hold both a belief in creation and evolution and feel that evolution can fit within a creation model.
(2)-It shouldn't need hoaxes,impassioned defence,or vigorous pushes into the education system.For me (and perhaps others),it begs the question of why there have been deliberate attempts at deceit via the fabrication of "evidence," the attacking and/or shunning of those who openly question evolution,or why old (and long proven wrong) scientific "facts" have not been discarded out of some textbooks.Furthermore,it should withstand and/or be open to scientific findings that challenge all,or parts,of the theory.
(3)-Then there should be some evolutionary reason why atheists/skeptics are atheists/skeptics.
(4)-Furthermore,I think that it would entail that there is no immoral human behavior that is actually immoral because,in the end,we can just chalk it up to some genetic defect or remnant part of our evolutionary past.I wonder how well an "evolution made me do it" defence would fly in a criminal court if I butchered someone I don't like.
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 5:26:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 9:01:52 AM, tcpanter wrote:
At 3/15/2014 1:16:30 AM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Many theists would say the opposite. But my objection is not with the idea that science is more trustworthy than religion, my objection is with the idea that religion brainwashes young children and forces them to believe so it is bad, but when the same thing is done by science it is fine because science is obviously right. Yeah that's not hypocritical at all.

The difference is that raising a child to have a scientific mindset can only be a good thing.
Many theists would say the same thing about religion.

Science teaches you to be critical and skeptical and rational.
No. Science teaches you a set of iron bound rules the universe must conform to just as religion does. While the qualities you mention are key attributes needed to truly understand science and the universe they cannot only be reached through science and believe me a scientific upbringing does not automatically give them to you.
If religion were true people with a good scientific education, even one raised to beleive science is correct, would gravitate towards science. The trouble is that because religion is not true that scientists, and children raised to be scientists, tend to turn away from it. Its only because of that that religions think of science as such a threat and fight against it so much.
Really? Then explain me. Explain Newton. Explain every single theists raised in the last ten years in Europe, America or any other place which teaches science more than R.E.

As for hating God people have said what I already think. I dont beleive in God so I dont hate God anymore than I hate vampires. But that being said I dont think I could ever truly love a being that asked a man to kill his child and praised him for it. The story would have meant more to me if the guy had refused to do it and God praised him for doing what is right no matter the consequences.
srehtiw
Posts: 491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 5:32:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 12:48:05 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 3/15/2014 1:16:30 AM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 5:04:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 3:47:19 PM, srehtiw wrote:
At 3/14/2014 12:17:23 PM, monty1 wrote:
I don't hate god because I don't believe any god exists. And hate is too strong a word for my dislike of religion. I dislike religion for several reasons and one important reason is it abused children by indoctrinating them before they gain their own power to think logically as adults.
And nothing you believe in does that *chough* science.
And once indoctrinated, a slave to religion for life in most cases. This is why some very intelligent people who completely understand that evolution is the only answer, are incapable of escaping from Christianity in many cases.

Religion, that does not have evidence and therefore should not be taken as true VS science, which is based around evidence so it is logical to trust.

Many theists would say the opposite. But my objection is not with the idea that science is more trustworthy than religion, my objection is with the idea that religion brainwashes young children and forces them to believe so it is bad, but when the same thing is done by science it is fine because science is obviously right. Yeah that's not hypocritical at all.

It's not so much either science or religion forcing children to believe as it is 'indoctrinating' children into religious or scientific, respective sets of beliefs. Would you favour isolating children from both religion and science to some degree until they are of an age to make their own decisions?
It would be an interesting experiment but no. I am fine with the system as it just as long as people don't start hypocritical whinging about how religion brainwashes people.

I could imagine not teaching children either evolution or creation. But what of the children who ask for answers? What to say? Should we resort to the predonderance of evidence to supply an answer?
Personally I would teach them evolution but maybe you should tell them both, but value them equally instead of the current system on my side of the Atlantic of making it clear that evolution is obviously right.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 5:52:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

God is merely those things we value, as a collective. For instance, God is opposed to murder, because we, as a collective, value human life. However, God is not always opposed to murder. In some cases, God actually approves of it, as in the cases of capital punishment, war, and protecting one's self and one's family or friends. In other words, we have devalued the lives of those we find just cause to kill.

An atheist who hates the idea of God (and, I say idea because atheists do not believe there's enough evidence to support the existence of a god,) merely hates that which a god represents. It's more of a rejection of the collective than it is of an actual god.
uncle-creepy
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 6:15:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 2:38:45 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 3/15/2014 2:34:23 PM, uncle-creepy wrote:
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

I have a few guesses.The atheists who aren't actually angry find it difficult to wrap their head around the existence of an unseen supernatural entity that possesses omnipotence,ominpresence,and omniscience.Though I identify myself as a Christian,I can find that understandable.This whole God business is quite tricky to figure out.

I think for others,they see what organized religion-including but not limited to Christianity-has done to our world in a harmful way.All the violence and transgressions done in the name of God can put a bad taste in a mouth or two.

However,I think that a segment of the atheistic population vehemently despises the idea that the existence of God entails that there are certain human behaviors that are not moral and that the engagement of such immoral behavior will be of consequence.Thus,a denial of God's existence offers them a sense of "freedom" to do,say,or think what they want without feeling like they're going to be held accountable for it in the hereafter.

And for the likes of Dawkins,Dennett,Harris,and Hitchens,a hatred of God equates to book sales and the opportunity to proselytize.

Maybe it's more correct to say that Dawkins hates the delusion of a god. That would probably describe what atheists hate more accurately. It's presumptious of Christians to assume more than that.

Just came across your reply after replying to some earlier statements you made.

Dawkins is not in a position to say that God is a "delusion" nor is he qualified to diagnose those that belief in God as "delusional." I do not feel as though Dawkins,or any of the other so-called New Atheists,care for the enlightenment or intellectual progress of their fellow human beings as much as they do (or did,in Hitchens' case) profiting off bigotry or whipping up anti-religious sentiment and fervor.Let's also consider that the self-dubbed Four Horsemen of New Atheism published their most scathing written rebukes of religion after 9/11 had happened.

If God,or a belief in one,is a "delusion," so too is the belief that the world would be a better place if God or religion weren't in it.
ethang5
Posts: 4,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 6:56:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

Here is what God Himself says about it.

Jesus said this at the start of His ministry, 3 years before He would be killed.

John 7:7 - The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Jesus said this at the end of His ministry, hours before He would be killed.

Jhn 15:18 "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.

Jhn 15:19 "If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Jhn 15:20 "Remember the word that I said to you, "A servant is not greater than his master." If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.

Jhn 15:21 "But all these things they will do to you for My name"s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.

Jhn 15:22 "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.

Jhn 15:23 "He who hates Me hates My Father also.

Jhn 15:24 "If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father.

Jhn 15:25 "But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, [Ps:69] "They hated Me without a cause.
bulproof
Posts: 25,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 7:51:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 6:56:56 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 3/14/2014 10:55:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists here seem very angry about anything to do with God. Why is that?

Here is what God Himself says about it.

Prove that YOUR god said anything at all.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin