Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Questions for Theists and Atheists

dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks!
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Geogeer
Posts: 4,273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 9:59:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

This is very broad and every denomination will answer it differently. As a Catholic I will attempt to answer this. If anybody sees an error in what I say please correct me.

Our relationship with God is one of Love, Truth, Mercy and Justice. God is perfection and to enter into his presence requires perfection. Now we are fallible beings who cannot achieve perfection on our own. We needs God's grace and forgiveness to learn to love Him as He love us. Now for those who have never heard of God or never been instructed adequately in him you cannot be expected to know what you do not. However, God has implanted in all of us a natural understanding of his laws and a desire for the truth.

If the truth is presented to you, but you choose not to seek it further, then you do not truly love the truth, but merely love what you want to do and believe. Thus you have decided to play god and are choosing what is right and what is wrong which is God's purview alone to decide.

God's mercy is so great that he can forgive anything for someone who truly desires to make amends with him. Let's put this is a Peter and Judas scenario (I'm assuming you are mostly familiar with the basic story of Christianity).

Judas betrayed Jesus and Peter denied him. Both are mortal sins that have broken the bond of Love with God. Both were in a state of despair after their actions knowing that they had committed abominable crimes against God. Judas succumbed to his despair believing that he could never be forgiven, Peter did not.

If you need more clarification on any of this please ask (this is an endless topic, but I'll answer as best I can).

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

Death and suffering is the result of sin. Sometimes it affects the one committing the sin, sometimes not. We only have to look to God in the person of Jesus that there is a cost to sin. Jesus was guiltless and yet he had to suffer to atone for other's sins. In the same way all Christians are called to pick-up their crosses and trust in God. God has not guaranteed any of us a good life or a long life. Each of our lives is unique and can only be lived by us.

Additionally, there is nothing that creates love better than suffering. If nothing ever went wrong and everybody had a perfect life of ease do you think people would love one another? Just the opposite. Without hardship and struggle people grow ever more self-centred. People tend to view other more as an end to a means than to love the person and care intimately about them.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Free will. The relationship that is stated in the bible is one of marriage between people and God. If God made it such that you have no choice, but to acknowledge him he would not be a gentle lover seeking to enter into a deep loving relationship, but he would be more akin to a slave-owner who owns you and forces you to do his bidding. He gives you the option of rejecting his love because love that cannot be rejected is not true love. He never stops calling you, he never stops desiring you, but if you harden your heart to him, he will not force himself upon you like a rapist.

The bible does not say learn and you'll find, it says seek and you'll find. Those who do not truly seek him, will never find him. Those who do will.

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

If God is all powerful what does it matter. It is like an engagement ring for your sweetheart. God says I have created all of this marvel, and all of it is meaningless without you. This one little seemingly insignificant spec is of more value than the mighty cosmos, because all of that was to show you your importance. Do not eccentric millionaires in books do the same to show their love for that one woman?

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

There is not no evidence, nor is there evidence directly contrary. There is enough evidence to seek in faith. God has spoken through the prophets and His Son. We have philosophy and the sciences. Faith and reason are not diametrically opposed. On the contrary. Faith and reason are integral.

As Pope John-Paul II said:

"Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth-in a word, to know himself-so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves."

Pope Benedkct said:

"Knowledge of faith, furthermore, is not contrary to reason. In the irresistible desire for truth, only a harmonious relationship between faith and reason can show the correct path to God and to self-fulfilment".

and

"Indeed, although a mystery, God is not absurd. If, in contemplating the mystery, reason sees only darkness, this is not because the mystery contains no light, rather because it contains too much. Just as when we turn our eyes directly to the sun, we see only shadow - who would say that the sun is not bright? Faith allows us to look at the 'sun' that is God, because it welcomes His revelation in history."

Thanks!

Happy to help.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 12:06:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?


He wouldn't. That is a fear tactic to get gullible people to believe in a supernatural mythical being who demands to be loved and obeyed and punishes humans for not loving him. It is a way for religion to keep control of their gullible members.

Would you send anyone to eternal [punishment just because they did not believe in you? If you would not, then you must be kinder and more loving than the God in the bible who does send people to hell for not believing in him.

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

The only thing that creates LIFE in reality is LIFE itself. Life creates aids and cancer and other diseases and mutations and all kinds of things which humans do not like but can no very little about if anything at all. Humans do try to heal diseases created by Life and sometimes they succeed and sometimes not. However, in the end all life dies regardless of how healthy it is.
God and Life can be uses synonymously and when you do that it is easy to understand that Life simply does what it does without any motives behind it at all. Its creative process is controlled by DNA and natural circumstances in the CYCLES of Life.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Because no invisible imaginary person named God exists any more than Santa exists at the North Pole. God is a concept the same as Santa is a concept. It is about encouraging people to be good and kind to each other.

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

He did not make all humans intelligent either. Intelligence is a human attribute not a design attribute. No design is intelligent. Any design is what it is regardless of how humans describe it.
Life is what it is whether humans like it or not.

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

To not believe something because of lack of evidence is rather stupid. For example, if you found a baby abandoned on your doorstep and never found any evidence of any parents, would that mean the child never had any parents? Sometimes logic causes you to believe things without any evidence. People believe something created LIFE because LIFE exists. The problem with their logic and belief is that they are convinced there was once a time when LIFE in general did not exist. It is that illogical belief which causes them to attempt to explain where LIFE came from. Logically Life comes from LIFE not from any invisible supernatural being in the sky or from some explosion which randomly came from nothing.

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

LIFE comes from LIFE.

How can there be morals without God?

Humans have morals without God. Humans create their own morals. They come from traditions handed down from one generation to the next in various cultures.

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

YES it is impossible for something to come from nothing. Therefore logically something has always existed and since only LIFE can create LIFE, logically Life must be eternal and have always existed.

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Not necessarily.
Shouldn't you believe in the magic man at the North pole since there is no solid evidence of him NOT existing?
Shouldn't you believe in the tooth fairy since there is no solid evidence against him existing?
Shouldn't you believe in the purple people eater since there is no solid evidence against him existing?
Let REALITY, logic and common sense be your guide.
The evidence of REALITY is found in REALITY. The evidence of LIFE is found in LIFE itself.
The evidence of anything is found in itself.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 12:07:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

I probably shouldn't try answering this since I stand somewhere in the middle, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

He doesn't. At least not some eternal Hell of fire and brimstone. Hell is just a religious invention to be used as a threat to gain obedience.

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

Because God used evolution to refine life in a process of free will and natural selection.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

If God provided irrefutable evidence of his existence then free-will would disappear. We would no longer be free to dismiss his existence.

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

We don't know how much is uninhabitable, and it's called fine-tuning. If any tiny percent of dozens of variables (including size and other things) were changed to even a very slight degree then life as we know it wouldn't be possible. It's possible that life does exist on other planets, or that we are meant to spread-out into space. Don't make the mistake of thinking the Bible is God.

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

God is like a Rorschach test. Some people recognize the pattern and some people don't. The human mind excels at recognizing complex patterns which it gleans from the totality of its surroundings. Just as many smart and educated people believe in a creator as ones who don't.

I would like to add that nobody hear can give you the answer you want. In the end you will possess a personal view which is quite unique. I tend to accept science, but cannot accept that I am here with no purpose due to a mindless set of events. Richard Dawkins says the universe has only an appearance of design. I say that for him it has only an appearance of self-formation.

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks!
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 12:14:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

: Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

There is no hell and the love of God Is not an emotional love that we humans believe love is all about.

: If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

To make this world more believable and keep His people deceived from the Truth. So the information that it took to make this kind of world is a contrast to the information He used to connect with His servant called His Voice, also known as the Word. If it wasn't for this contrast of information, God wouldn't have been able to connect with His Word and teach Him who he was. He used illusions called prophets and saints to testify to His Word.

: If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Every flesh will bow down to Him as they perish ( die ) in this age. But the spirit that used the flesh will remain in the mind of our Creator where we exist for eternity.

: If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

Everything we see is only an illusion that isn't real.

: Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

If there is no evidence, it must mean that God is invisible. If He's invisible, then you have to believe in Him or know Him like I do as His voice.

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks!
uncle-creepy
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 6:22:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

For starters,I think that you pose some very good questions and I think that you're being fair in posing questions to both theists and atheists.I will attempt to answer some of your questions to the best of my ability as I also have my own questions with respect to God and Christianity.Some of my response material will be in the context of possibility and not certainty.

Hell is often used by the more fundamentalist Christians.It's quite possible that they use Hell to incite fear into people and the best way to exert control over a group or a population is through such incitement of fear.I have a different take on this.No one person is perfect.We all engage in some kind of behavior that falls within the definition of "sin." However,I do not believe that-if we are judged immediately following physical death-only our sins are considered.While homosexuality is a frowned upon behavior in the Bible,it would not be fair to send a gay person to hell if they did other things in their life that were good.If a gay person were to donate to a charity,be a trustworthy friend,or to be able to have a good rapport with their colleagues and be a "team player" in their workplace,I think that these things would have to be taken into account.

As for sending non-believers to hell,the same principle applies.I know people who do not believe in God that are generally decent people.I would think that God would have to understand that,by giving human beings both free will and cognition,that some of them will use such free will to question and to doubt.It would not be fair to cast the souls of nonbelievers (or agnostics) into the lake of fire on the sole basis that they elected not to believe in God or to be agnostic about him.To make a long story short:If the majority of a person's thoughts,words,and actions are good,then there should not be a reason why they are sent to Hell if their sins are outweighed by the good that they've said,thought,or done.In my own opinion,Hell would be that place where the likes of Hitler,Stalin,and others who brought more misery and suffering to their fellow human beings are sent to.

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

Good question,one which I feel ties into the problem of suffering.This is just theoretical,but lifestyle and environment can play a significant role in our health.By toxifying our planet or engaging in unhealthy behavior,we are putting our health and our lives at risk.We have indubitably brought some of our sufferings on to ourselves.As for AIDS,we can not rule out that this was a terrible disease that was created in a laboratory somewhere.I'm sure that some people reading this would think that I'm stark-raving mad but someone would have to have their head in the sand to think that there aren't population control/reduction measures that have been or are being taken.

I think that part of it has to do with humans using their free will.However,there is also a possibility that part of the problem of suffering originates from a highly sinister force (Satan,the devil,Lucifer,etc.) who seeks to bring harm to God's creation.I do not play the Satan card as frequently as a lot of these 'fundies' do.Given that there is plenty of evidence that evil and-especially in this context-suffering exists in this world,there has to be a cause or an origin of it.Why God gives allowance for some of it is a different story and is one that I often question.But,again,we bring some of our illness/affliction onto ourselves.We are not invincible and our bodies can only handle so much.The same is true for our planet.There are many things found within nature that have been proven to have remedial properties to them.By chopping down our rainforests or pumping pollutants into our atmosphere,we are not only killing what can help us in the long run but we are disrupting the balance of the planet.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Ahh,a question that I have also asked in my own experience.I do not think that this question is a bad one to ask whatsoever.Here's what I've come up with so far while being of the understanding that more thought and consideration needs to be given to this.

While it would be nice for God to just end the theism/atheism debate once and for all and show himself to us,perhaps God has given us plenty of evidence in other ways.However,it's up to us as individuals to choose whether what science and mathematics has revealed to us satisfies us that there is something outside of nature responsible for the creation of nature or satisfies a more naturalistic point of view.Personally,I do not disagree with the argument that there is design and fine-tuning within our universe.I do not feel as such an argument could be made if design and fine-tuning weren't as seemingly ubiquitous and apparent as it is.It isn't irrational or illogical to make such as a case.I think that we should also factor in spiritual experiences that people have had and the occurrences of unexplainable things such a miracles.Sure,not every person who claims to have had experienced something deeply spiritual is honest,of sound mind,or was in a sober state when they had such experiences.But this does not account for 100% of all cases.

Lastly,the fact that human beings even came to the thought or the belief in God when we could have not come to such thought or belief at all could be an evidence in itself.Just because human knowledge has expanded considerably over time does not mean that people of times past were unintelligent.If religion or a belief in an entity that is omnipotent,omniscient,and omnipresent is-as some of the more staunch naturalists have claimed (perhaps out of some kind of grasping at straws)-a product of our so-called evolutionary course,perhaps we should then question whether anything we know or think is actually true.This also includes atheism.If we liken a knowledge or a belief in God to a flower or a plant,how the seed was planted or how it had taken root in the soil of human cognition is one that makes at least this individual wonder.But this could be worthy of its own discussion.

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

I guess because habitable places such as this planet can really be appreciated and awed for all of its beauty.While there is beauty that can be found throughout the universe-even on uninhabitable planets-to be alive on a planet like ours where there is life,diversity,and complexity is amazing.

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

I had a period in my life where I was an agnostic.I came close to becoming an atheist.While I identify myself as a Christian,I still have questions.I think it's normal for everyone to question.However,I lean more toward a belief in God based upon what I feel is sufficient evidence under the circumstances.Quite frankly,I don't feel that naturalism is free of its own biases or orthodoxy nor do I feel that naturalists possess a monopoly on intelligence or rationality.For as much good as science has brought to the world,it is not infallible or completely unbiased.This is one of the reasons why I am not an atheist.


Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks
uncle-creepy
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 6:45:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As an addendum to my first response,while I can appreciate the need for evidence to substantiate a claim or to support an idea,we can not always get the evidence that we want or in the way that we want it.The naturalists/secularists/humanists (whatever term you deem to be appropriate) demand evidence obtained via the scientific method to prove (or falsify) God's existence.It's not possible to use a method that can only be applied to things within nature to test for the existence/inexistence of a supernatural entity.Even if we could use science to the best of our ability to study such things as the efficacy of prayer or near-death experiences,there will always be skeptics in line to pooh-pooh it.It's really a catch-22 situation.

Sometimes faith is all we have to go on and faith is not just something unique to religion or a belief in God.
Fox-McCloud
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:04:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

I do not know.

How can there be morals without God?

There is no objective morality.

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Maybe.

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Hahaha. No.

Thanks!

You are welcome.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:07:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

I doubt God sends people to hell just because they don't believe in him. Of course that may depend on why they don't believe in him. If it's because they so hate the idea of God that they've convinced themselves he doesn't exist, then he might blame them in that case, but if it's because they've never heard of God, I don't see how God could blame them for that.

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

Whenever we talk about what a person does something, there are always different levels of explanation. For example, the reason a person studies hard is so they can get good grades. But getting good grades isn't an end sought only for itself. It's also the means of something else--getting a degree. But getting a degree isn't an end by itself either. It's also the means to a further end--getting a good job. And getting a good job is a means by which to make money, and making money is a means by which you can support your family, etc.

So we can answer the question of why we study in a variety of ways. I study because I want to make good grades. I also study because I want to take care of my family. These are both true.

There are ends sought as means to further ends, and there are ends sought purely for themselves and not as a means to further ends.

The Bible says that God has a purpose in everything (Proverbs 16:4). In Jonathan Edward's book, The End For Which God Created the World, he argued that God's final end (i.e. the end sought solely for itself) in everything that happens is the promotion of his own glory. So one way to answer the question of why there is cancer, aids, or other horrible things that happen is because one way or another, it serves as a means toward the promotion of God's glory.

But it is not easy to tell how it does so. Maybe cancer is a means to X, and X is a means to Y, and Y is a means to Z, and Z is a means to God's glory. But it's impossible to know what X, Y, and Z are.

So while the Bible may reveal the ultimate end in bad things that happen, it doesn't reveal the immediate end to every particular bad thing that happens in the world. So this question can be answered in a very broad sense, but it can't be answered in a more particular sense.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Because having us bow down to him isn't his sole desire. Besides, even if God did provide irrefutable evidence of his existence, that wouldn't guarantee that everybody bowed down to him. Lots of people say that even if they were convinced that God exists, they wouldn't worship him. Christopher Hitchens used to go on and on about what an unsavory character the God of the Bible is and how we all ought to be thankful he doesn't exist.

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

Because supporting life isn't the sole purpose of the universe. According to Psalm 19:1, the heavens declare God's glory and the work of his hands.

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

First, I think there is evidence for God. Second, I think it's possible to be rationally justified in believing in God even if there were no evidence for him.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:21:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks!

God Side

1. Hell is ones remoteness to god (depending on who you ask), and not a physical place of never ending pain. Early church had predicted it was a literal place, but there is no evidence it is little more then a metaphor, with signs pointing to what I said. Read Dante's divine comedy.

2. God created aids, cancer, and other terrifying deceases to comprise the natural process. Life is a test, and it is are way of proving that we should live with god. Tests are hard, hence the world must be filled with hardship.

3. "Blessed are those who can believe without seeing me", a line that is often used in response to that question. This line is significant, as it shows gods purpose of the test. If we were to have proof on gods existence, then we would all love him regardless. It is essential we prove our love, so by not having irrefutable proof of gods existence, it shows more faith when we do love him. Hence, we passed the test.

4. In the bible, the evidence for god, stated by most of the Disciples, is the holy spirit, where god resides in. Every man possesses the spirit, but only those who show faith can finally prove to themselves that god exists without a doubt.So, in short, there is a invisible spirit that is within you, who will constantly nag you until you believe in god. And once you believe what the spirit says is true, then it will show you without a doubt that god exists.

- I hope this helped, and ask me if you need clarification. Most people would give uneducated responses to these questions, but very few people actually take the time to open and study the bible, and other theologians.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Skikx
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:26:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:


Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

I don't know, but there are some plausible scientific hypotheses about that.

How can there be morals without God?

Why shouldn't there be morals without god?
If god, as a intellectual being can create morals, why shouldn't we be able to do so.
Morals are simply rules created by humans and society to enable exactly that, living in a society.


Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?
Yes, but a huge explosion that created the universe coming from something is possible.
Since something can't come from nothing, but there obviously is something, something has always existed.
But this does not necessitate any god(s).


Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

No, one should only believe something that is supported by evidence.
Just because you can't disprove a claim doesn't mean it is true.
Otherwise we should all believe that there is an intangible unicorn that has no effect on its surroundings in my backyard.
Of course, this also means that one shouldn't believe that there are definitely no gods.
Although, it seems quite likely.


Thanks!

No problem
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 8:24:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

Don't know

How can there be morals without God?

Don't know

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Don't know

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

No
Thanks!

In truth we do have answers for all the above, but they are irrelivant to atheism and to addressing the plausibility of theism.

Big bang theory as it stands doesn't say much about he cause of the big bang, nothing is one hypothesis but there are many others, none of which have experimen verification yet. The big bang is poorly-named since it was an expansion of space instead of a movement of mater, so its more like a 'big stetch' or 'big inflation' instead of a big bang.

Life on earth today evolved slowly every billions of years which is described excellently in Evolution via. natural selection. (So excellently in fact that many/most theists accept this, albeit with some reinterpretation), the origin of the first life is must less well understood. A number of theories exist but none are prevalent yet as it is a relatively new science and works from chemical instead of biological origins.

The last argument is addressed by the Russel's Teapot analogy
http://en.wikipedia.org...'s_teapot
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
Cooldudebro
Posts: 383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 8:59:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
It's no secret. God isn't perfect, and doesn't expect us to be perfect either. He just wants us to try.

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?
Because some people can't keep their wanker in their pants, um, I mean nevermind. We need viruses as part of our daily lives. For instance, Al Capone died of silfolis. Plus, who doesn't like sick days. Now, HIV was just a natural result of the evolution of viruses.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?
Because he knows in the end science can only explain so much, but can't. Now, some people just don't like the idea of God. Some are born with athiest parents. Some for rebellion. It is just their preference. Plus, why should he have to prove to us he exists?

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?
If you mean Adam and Eve, that is Bull S*it. God created our ancestors and thus theistic evolution came! Now for other planet, God couldn't because the Earth is the exact distance from the sun so it isn't too hot or too cold. God just can't put two planets in the same orbit or we would die.

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?
If the athiest can't give a piece of evidence worth me taking a s*it, why should I not believe in God?

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?
No athiest can answer that.

How can there be morals without God?
People's ideas. This is one thing I will give to the athiests.
Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?
Yes. You see, God was always there. The universe wasn't but god is. God is pure energy.

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?
Thanks!
Subutai
Posts: 3,223
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:46:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?


Abiogenesis. This is shown in the Miller-Urey experiment, which showed that that amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, arose among other small organic molecules spontaneously by reacting a mixture of methane, hydrogen, ammonia and water in a spark discharge apparatus. This replicated the early atmosphere of the Earth. There are more complicated proofs of this, as well as numerous steps that came after this that actually led to the development of complex life, but this is the basis for the naturalistic explanation for life on Earth.
How can there be morals without God?


Even assuming that an objective morality exists, it does not require a god. The TAG commits the fallacy of equivocation, falsely equivocating a description of morality with objective morality itself. As Sargon puts it, there are no prima facie reasons to doubt atheistic moral realisms, but there are prima facie reasons to consider atheistic moral realism to be more plausible than theistic moral realism
Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?


You're looking at this the wrong way. One, the big bang wasn't an explosion in the sense of, say, a bomb. As this article puts it, "Explosions are the free expansion of material from higher, pressure, temperature and density to lower pressure, temperature and density in a short amount of time. The big bang was the expansion of the space time manifold from a singular point at time equals zero to a four dimensional manifold growing with time. In the process the contents of the universe expanded to fill the new space that was created after the big bang. The big bang was not an explosion because no matterial was involved. None existed yet. The big bang was the sudden expansion of space-time. That is not the same as an explosion in any physical sense.": http://www.science20.com...

And second, the big bang did not come from nothing. Due to Heisenberg's energy/time uncertainty, there can be violations of the law of conservation of energy for times shorter than Planck time, a process called quantum fluctuation. Due to the energy/matter equivalency, matter came from that energy, and this is what we currently observe in the universe (I could go much more into detail if you'd like).
Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?


This essentially commits the fallacy of Bertrand Russell's celestial teapot (which says that we can't prove that a teapot is in orbit around the sun, and that therefore there is a possibility that it exists). While the idea that absence of evidence is evidence of absence is hotly contested with theists, in probability theory, it is a known law. "But in probability theory, absence of evidence is always evidence of absence. If E is a binary event and P(H|E) > P(H), "seeing E increases the probability of H"; then P(H|~E) < P(H), "failure to observe E decreases the probability of H". P(H) is a weighted mix of P(H|E) and P(H|~E), and necessarily lies between the two.": http://lesswrong.com... (if that makes no sense, see here: http://yudkowsky.net...)

I am an atheist because I believe that a naturalistic explanation for the universe is not only possible, but likely (if not the only possibility), and also because every argument for the existence of a god is inherently flawed, suggesting that a god does not exist.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:55:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides.

Agnosticism is a position about whether you believe the claims regarding Gods existence are knowable. Atheism and theism are about what you actually believe regarding those propositions. There is no middle. You are either a theist (believe in God) or an atheist (do not believe in God). Not having a particular belief means you're an atheist.

Now atheism:

Since atheism is nothing more then a lack of belief in God, it has no answers to the following questions. However, as a human being, I do have my own thoughts...

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

I don't pretend to know. Most scientists seem to believe we came from nothing (physicists definition of nothing anyway). Either way, it really doesn't matter because it doesn't solve the problem. If you believe God did it then how did he come into existence? And if you say he always existed then he is unnecessary because you could simply say the same thing about the universe or whatever it came from.

How can there be morals without God?

The same way that there can be a desire to eat popcorn. Morals are nothing more then a system we created based on emotions and the effects our actions have on them. From there we expand into a complex system, so complex that people think it needs to come from God. It doesn't.

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Most physicists don't seem to think so. I am not sure why anyone would care what anyone else including their own tuition's think. I am sure you don't question whether it seems to make sense that a doctor can rip your chest apart and stick metal rods inside your heart and you not die. You probably let the medical industry figure that out. The same respect should be given to the experts in cosmology.

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

That is a violation of logic 101. My atheism, like most atheists is the result of skepticism, which is the position that no belief should be offered on any proposition until it is justified by evidence. When evidence of God's existence can be provided then I will believe it. When evidence he does not exist can be provided I will believe that. Until then I reserve my beliefs.
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:58:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides.

I am an open-minded theist, so I will answer for both sides.

Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

He wouldn't. That would be kind of impossible.


If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

God is not an interventionalist. Not everything that happens is directly caused by him.


If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Who says God wants that? I highly doubt an all-powerful being's sense of personal security relies on puny humans bowing down to him.


If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

I would think that life on Earth isn't his really his top priority, considering that he has an entire universe, or possibly even a multiverse, to rule over. I personally believe life on Earth is just one of his "experiments".


Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

I have had spiritual experiencing proving his existence to me, personally.




Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

Chemical reactions resulted in the formation of organic compounds which became more and more complex through biochemical evolution, eventually becoming primitive cells which then evolved into multi-cellular organisms.
It really isn't that coincidental, considering that it was bound to happen on at least one of the gazillion planets in the known universe.


How can there be morals without God?

We can use rational/deductive insight to determine the "moral value" of any action based on its effects.


Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

No. The Oscillating Universe theory (the school of cosmology I would believe in if I were an atheist) states that matter/energy are constant and eternal; Big Bangs and Big Crunches are just part of a continual cycle of universe creation and destruction.


Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Burden of Proof shift. That's like saying that we should believe in unicorns since we can't disprove their existence.


Thanks!

Thanks for the questions! They were fun to think about :)
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 9:59:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 7:21:22 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks!

God Side

1. Hell is ones remoteness to god (depending on who you ask), and not a physical place of never ending pain. Early church had predicted it was a literal place, but there is no evidence it is little more then a metaphor, with signs pointing to what I said. Read Dante's divine comedy.

2. God created aids, cancer, and other terrifying deceases to comprise the natural process. Life is a test, and it is are way of proving that we should live with god. Tests are hard, hence the world must be filled with hardship.

3. "Blessed are those who can believe without seeing me", a line that is often used in response to that question. This line is significant, as it shows gods purpose of the test. If we were to have proof on gods existence, then we would all love him regardless. It is essential we prove our love, so by not having irrefutable proof of gods existence, it shows more faith when we do love him. Hence, we passed the test.

4. In the bible, the evidence for god, stated by most of the Disciples, is the holy spirit, where god resides in. Every man possesses the spirit, but only those who show faith can finally prove to themselves that god exists without a doubt.So, in short, there is a invisible spirit that is within you, who will constantly nag you until you believe in god. And once you believe what the spirit says is true, then it will show you without a doubt that god exists.

- I hope this helped, and ask me if you need clarification. Most people would give uneducated responses to these questions, but very few people actually take the time to open and study the bible, and other theologians.

Bumping this up, because its getting crowded by atheists
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not? I mean, He's given every plain opportunity to believe in Him, but yet people choose to not believe in Him. Why is that His fault for our stupidity? :/

If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?
God did not create those things, they exist do to our sin.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?
He has, but maybe your just not looking hard enough... :/

If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?
Where do you get this idea from?

Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?
Uh, I have every reason to believe in HIm because He has given plenty of evidence to which you and many others deny to be as evidence.

Hope this answers your questions :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:04:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?

I'm a Universalist/Annihilationist (cant really decide but probably universalist) so I don't think he does.


If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

I don't know.

If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

The point is for us to come to God willingly not out of fear, and I think most people who are religious in any sense beyond being simply culturally religious feel there's ample evidence for God that they themselves experience. I can also offer the old adage "the Lord works in mysterious ways".


If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

There's a presumption in the question, namely that God has limited time and energy, making the vast majority of the Universe a waste of time. But God is not limited by these things, therefore there's no reason why he wouldn't. Who knows why? I have an interesting answer as well. I read about a time period in the early Universe called the Habitable Epoch where life (albeit primitive life) may have been vastly more common than it is today. Here's a good Slate article on it (I know, "good" and "Slate" seems like a contradiction in terms) http://www.slate.com...


Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

There is evidence for God, but at the end of the day, to me at least, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. We all latch onto some belief system. Basically, this: http://www.southparkstudios.com...

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

How can there be morals without God?

Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

Thanks!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:07:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Question:
How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

Answer:
Life always was on earth, in the same way that god always was.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:09:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not?

Really? So an all loving God needs a reason to not send people to hell?

When deciding whether you should beat your children, do you need a reason to not beat them?
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:10:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Question:
Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Answer:
No! The huge explosion came out of nothing in the same way god came out of nothing.
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:31:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 10:09:50 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not?

Really? So an all loving God needs a reason to not send people to hell?
If God wasn't love, then none of us would even exist.. And even if we did exist if he wasn't loving then guess what we'd all burn in hell without any hope of being saved from it.. Christ is the ONLY reason to salvation.. It shouldn't be hell that concerns you or anyone else.. It should be that your sin is what sends us to hell.. So blame OUR ignorant sin, not God.. He just doing what He HAS to do! He cannot allow and He will not allow sin into His presence..

When deciding whether you should beat your children, do you need a reason to not beat them?
Kinda irrelevant, but if you must have an answer, then so be it :)
I don't believe beating a child is the correct term here.. Spanking would be more accurate.. and I don't condone to spanking a child unless given a reason.. does that answer your question?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:53:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 10:31:41 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:09:50 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not?

Really? So an all loving God needs a reason to not send people to hell?
If God wasn't love, then none of us would even exist.. And even if we did exist if he wasn't loving then guess what we'd all burn in hell without any hope of being saved from it.. Christ is the ONLY reason to salvation.. It shouldn't be hell that concerns you or anyone else.. It should be that your sin is what sends us to hell.. So blame OUR ignorant sin, not God.. He just doing what He HAS to do! He cannot allow and He will not allow sin into His presence..

When deciding whether you should beat your children, do you need a reason to not beat them?
Kinda irrelevant, but if you must have an answer, then so be it :)
I don't believe beating a child is the correct term here.. Spanking would be more accurate.. and I don't condone to spanking a child unless given a reason.. does that answer your question?

Ahaaaaa, so you do beat your children! But you call it something else and you decide when it's justified to beat your children. Spoken like a true Christian. Righteous as hell and on a power trip.

A real piece of (god's) work!
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 10:53:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 10:53:08 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:31:41 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:09:50 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not?

Really? So an all loving God needs a reason to not send people to hell?
If God wasn't love, then none of us would even exist.. And even if we did exist if he wasn't loving then guess what we'd all burn in hell without any hope of being saved from it.. Christ is the ONLY reason to salvation.. It shouldn't be hell that concerns you or anyone else.. It should be that your sin is what sends us to hell.. So blame OUR ignorant sin, not God.. He just doing what He HAS to do! He cannot allow and He will not allow sin into His presence..

When deciding whether you should beat your children, do you need a reason to not beat them?
Kinda irrelevant, but if you must have an answer, then so be it :)
I don't believe beating a child is the correct term here.. Spanking would be more accurate.. and I don't condone to spanking a child unless given a reason.. does that answer your question?

Ahaaaaa, so you do beat your children! But you call it something else and you decide when it's justified to beat your children. Spoken like a true Christian. Righteous as hell and on a power trip.

A real piece of (god's) work!

Lol, I don't even have kids silly! :P
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 11:01:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 10:31:41 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:09:50 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not?

Really? So an all loving God needs a reason to not send people to hell?
If God wasn't love, then none of us would even exist.. And even if we did exist if he wasn't loving then guess what we'd all burn in hell without any hope of being saved from it.. Christ is the ONLY reason to salvation.. It shouldn't be hell that concerns you or anyone else.. It should be that your sin is what sends us to hell.. So blame OUR ignorant sin, not God.. He just doing what He HAS to do! He cannot allow and He will not allow sin into His presence..

I take that as a yes, an all loving God needs a reason to not send us to hell.

When deciding whether you should beat your children, do you need a reason to not beat them?
Kinda irrelevant, but if you must have an answer, then so be it :)
I don't believe beating a child is the correct term here.. Spanking would be more accurate.. and I don't condone to spanking a child unless given a reason.. does that answer your question?

Yes, and I am glad to know that you are more moral then the God you pray to.

As far as the relevance of the question; the correct term was in fact "beating". The point was to make you consider why you would think about beating your child in the first place. I am sure you wouldn't unless you were compelled to, and even then you might not. That is what it means to be loving.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 11:02:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 10:53:51 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:53:08 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:31:41 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:09:50 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:02:25 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?
Why should He not?

Really? So an all loving God needs a reason to not send people to hell?
If God wasn't love, then none of us would even exist.. And even if we did exist if he wasn't loving then guess what we'd all burn in hell without any hope of being saved from it.. Christ is the ONLY reason to salvation.. It shouldn't be hell that concerns you or anyone else.. It should be that your sin is what sends us to hell.. So blame OUR ignorant sin, not God.. He just doing what He HAS to do! He cannot allow and He will not allow sin into His presence..

When deciding whether you should beat your children, do you need a reason to not beat them?
Kinda irrelevant, but if you must have an answer, then so be it :)
I don't believe beating a child is the correct term here.. Spanking would be more accurate.. and I don't condone to spanking a child unless given a reason.. does that answer your question?

Ahaaaaa, so you do beat your children! But you call it something else and you decide when it's justified to beat your children. Spoken like a true Christian. Righteous as hell and on a power trip.

A real piece of (god's) work!

Lol, I don't even have kids silly! :P

That could be true and it might not be true. Christians are also proven liars. But regardless of it's truth, if you don't have children you have made it abundantly clear how you will treat them. You'll beat them and call it something else and you will play god in deciding if the beating is righteous or not.

My best guess is that you're somewhere in the American south such as Alabama or.....
Somewhere close to one of the states where sisters marry their brothers and vice versa, is most in vogue.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 11:10:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 8:36:29 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I am agnostic, so I question both sides. Theism first:

Why would an all-loving God send someone to Hell just because the person doesn't believe in Him?


If God created the world, why did he create AIDS, cancer, and other terrifying diseases?

Cause your a sinner. If something bad happens...........SIN.


If God wants us to bow down to Him, why doesn't he give us rock-solid, irrefutable evidence that He exists?

Meh.


If God made "intelligent design," why did he make 99.9999999999998% of the universe uninhabitable?

For the lolz.


Shouldn't you not believe in God because there is no evidence for Him?

Now atheism:

How did life come to Earth if it wasn't for God?

Don't know. Not knowing does justify the conclusion therefore God did it.


How can there be morals without God?

Depends on what you think morality is. I lean towards morality being interwind with well being.

Child rape is wrong cause of well being issues, God or no God, Santa or no Santa.


Isn't it impossible for a HUGE explosion that created the universe come out of nothing?

Is it ?


Shouldn't you believe in God because there is no solid evidence against God existing?

That is special pleading. We don't accept that argument for space raping aliens or anything else.

Thanks!

You welcome.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 11:10:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 11:02:31 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:53:51 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
That could be true and it might not be true. Christians are also proven liars. But regardless of it's truth, if you don't have children you have made it abundantly clear how you will treat them. You'll beat them and call it something else and you will play god in deciding if the beating is righteous or not.

Well, believe what you want. I already said I don't have kids. I'm not even married. Nor have ever been sexually active EVER in my life. And, whoever said Christians or myself was Perfect? I know I didn't... So yeah, everyone lies.. I'm not better than you nor you better than me.. I know what I am.. A sinner who deserves nothing but God's wrath in hell, but by His grace have been saved.. That's the difference between unbelievers and believers.. Believers knows who their God is and where they will go when they die, but sadly unbelievers do not.. Do you know where your going when you die? And I would never delight in the idea of correcting my children when I have some..

My best guess is that you're somewhere in the American south such as Alabama or.....
Somewhere close to one of the states where sisters marry their brothers and vice versa, is most in vogue.

Dude, my location is on my profile.. Texas.. So idk what your talking about? :/
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 11:12:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 11:01:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 3/17/2014 10:31:41 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
I take that as a yes, an all loving God needs a reason to not send us to hell.
Really, our sin is what sends us to hell. Not God. He's just obligated to.

Yes, and I am glad to know that you are more moral then the God you pray to.
Really, how?

As far as the relevance of the question; the correct term was in fact "beating". The point was to make you consider why you would think about beating your child in the first place. I am sure you wouldn't unless you were compelled to, and even then you might not. That is what it means to be loving.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad