Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 2:59:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/18/2014 12:20:45 AM, Wylted wrote:
What is hell?

Hell, at its most fundamental level, is a place that encompasses eternal separation from God.

Does hell exist?

If you can be separated from God forever, Hell most certainly does exist.

Why is this your view?

I can't know for sure what Heaven and Hell are like. Both are beyond human comprehension and will be for a long time if not forever, so I don't spend much time pondering them. The description of Hell in the Bible could be a metaphor, for all we know. After you die, finding out that God exists and never being able to see Him or be with Him, that would be hell, wouldn't it?
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument
http://www.debate.org...

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 4:16:18 PM
What is hell?

A lake of fire whose fuel is people and rocks.

Does hell exist?

It does, as much as we exist.

Why is this your view?

This is my belief because in short: the universe exists therefore God exists, therefore our existence has a purpose . then coming to the religions claiming to come from God including the Abrahamic religions with their scriptures all mention the same doom, with more or less precisions.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 4:22:12 PM
At 3/18/2014 4:16:18 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

This is my belief because in short: the universe exists therefore God exists, therefore our existence has a purpose . then coming to the religions claiming to come from God including the Abrahamic religions with their scriptures all mention the same doom, with more or less precisions.

Can you go into depth with your premises. It's my understanding that no mention of hell is mentioned in the Old Testament. I'm not sure if Jews believe in Hell, but I think it would be weird if they did.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 4:33:20 PM
What is hell?
As Pitbull said, eternal seperation from god.
Does hell exist?
Yes, and it symbolizes never being able to reach god.
Why is this your view?
The bible never directly refers to it as a place of infinite torture, with metaphorical s supporting eternal separation.. Most people are truly uneducated on Christianity, and have never actually opened the bible or a piece of theological literature.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 5:25:53 PM
At 3/18/2014 2:59:57 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:
What is hell?

Hell, at its most fundamental level, is a place that encompasses eternal separation from God.

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

I can't know for sure what Heaven and Hell are like. Both are beyond human comprehension and will be for a long time if not forever, so I don't spend much time pondering them. The description of Hell in the Bible could be a metaphor, for all we know. After you die, finding out that God exists and never being able to see Him or be with Him, that would be hell, wouldn't it?
If Hell is separation from god, then god couldn't be omnipresent. (Everywhere) It is my understanding that he is.
If he is omnipresent then he must be in Hell as well.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 5:27:21 PM
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Then I would suggest that you hold a higher moral standard than the god you love, if your version of Hell is a lake of fire and eternal suffering.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 5:28:16 PM
At 3/18/2014 4:33:20 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
What is hell?
As Pitbull said, eternal seperation from god.
Does hell exist?
Yes, and it symbolizes never being able to reach god.
Why is this your view?
The bible never directly refers to it as a place of infinite torture, with metaphorical s supporting eternal separation.. Most people are truly uneducated on Christianity, and have never actually opened the bible or a piece of theological literature.
Please see my response to Pitbull.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 5:30:10 PM
At 3/18/2014 5:25:53 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

If Hell is separation from god, then god couldn't be omnipresent. (Everywhere) It is my understanding that he is.

Either God is in Hell, too; or that just means Hell is in His sight. The main thing is that communication will be cut off between Him and Hell's inhabitants.

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 5:43:18 PM
At 3/18/2014 5:30:10 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Either God is in Hell, too; or that just means Hell is in His sight. The main thing is that communication will be cut off between Him and Hell's inhabitants.
Sorry sir, but your answer sounds like a best guess, then morphs into what seems like a fact. It seems like you flip flopped on your previous statement that Hell is eternal separation from god to he may be in Hell after all, but you're just not sure.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 7:09:10 PM
At 3/18/2014 5:43:18 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Sorry sir, but your answer sounds like a best guess, then morphs into what seems like a fact. It seems like you flip flopped on your previous statement that Hell is eternal separation from god to he may be in Hell after all, but you're just not sure.

I know I'm not sure. I'm not going to pretend I know what Hell's like. But "eternal separation" can mean that communication of any sort would be cut off, even if God were in Hell. If you couldn't see God or speak to Him in any way, but He were still there, it would feel a lot like separation from God. We can't know for sure what happens after we die.

Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 7:16:58 PM
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

I've always wondered about that. Why couldn't God have the ability to be everywhere and yet abstain from visiting certain places? Doesn't God have a choice? It's hard to imagine an omnipotent being with no choice.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 7:20:21 PM
What is hell?

Hell is a place of eternal unhappiness.

Does hell exist?

No.

Why is this your view?

Because no God with any love would let a soul suffer forever when he/she had the ability to end it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 11:08:25 PM

After you die, finding out that God exists and never being able to see Him or be with Him, that would be hell, wouldn't it?

Not from what I've read about him. That would be reward.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 11:09:59 PM
At 3/18/2014 4:22:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Can you go into depth with your premises. It's my understanding that no mention of hell is mentioned in the Old Testament. I'm not sure if Jews believe in Hell, but I think it would be weird if they did.

We don't.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 11:14:01 PM
At 3/18/2014 11:09:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

We don't.

Thanks for answering. Does that go for most Jews? Do most Jews now believe in Hell?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2014 11:18:25 PM
At 3/18/2014 11:14:01 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 3/18/2014 11:09:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

We don't.

Thanks for answering. Does that go for most Jews? Do most Jews now believe in Hell?

I won't presume to speak for everyone, but I know from my Jewish education that Jews - at least, reform and conservative Jews, and even orthodox according to my relatives - don't believe in Hell. The closest thing to it is a purgatory process wherein the soul is 'cleansed' for its return to God. That process can be painful.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 3:08:14 AM
At 3/18/2014 11:08:25 PM, bulproof wrote:

After you die, finding out that God exists and never being able to see Him or be with Him, that would be hell, wouldn't it?

Not from what I've read about him. That would be reward.

Not if it were revealed to you that every instance of true joy or good you've ever experienced in life was actually an extension of his presence in your life.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 8:22:39 AM
At 3/18/2014 7:09:10 PM, Pitbull15 wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

I know I'm not sure. I'm not going to pretend I know what Hell's like. But "eternal separation" can mean that communication of any sort would be cut off, even if God were in Hell. If you couldn't see God or speak to Him in any way, but He were still there, it would feel a lot like separation from God. We can't know for sure what happens after we die.

I 100% agree with Pitbull. This is the view of most modern educated theists (Which 90% of Christians are not)
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:33:47 AM
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

God doesn't necessarily have to be an actor in every area of the universe whether he's actually present or not. Keep in mind this is not physical presence. It is possible for hell to exist, for God to be technically present, and for God to not be an actor. That can still be determined as separation spiritually.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:40:18 AM
What is hell?

Hell is a created place where God is not an actor. As it is created, it is also not eternal the way I see it. It induces suffering because God is the embodiment of good, and when good is not an actor in a situation, suffering happens. It's not really torture so much as it is deprivation. Torture implies an actor. Not that you implied it was, I'm just talking.

Does hell exist?

Yes. I could go into why it exists, but I'm honestly tired and don't feel like going into it.

Why is this your view?

Because I have faith in Christianity, and it is coherent with the Bible.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 5:45:45 PM
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Don't get me wrong sir, I understand that you don't know what Hell may be like, and neither do I. But if you don't know, I don't see how you can state that it is separation from god. The two statements don't seem mesh. Just to be clear on what I understand your statement to be, this is what I see you saying.
I don't know what Hell is, but this is what it is. That's what I see you saying here.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 5:49:45 PM
At 3/18/2014 7:16:58 PM, Idealist wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

I've always wondered about that. Why couldn't God have the ability to be everywhere and yet abstain from visiting certain places? Doesn't God have a choice? It's hard to imagine an omnipotent being with no choice.
Sure, he would have the choice. But if that were the case, I think we can call his benevolence into question.
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 5:52:47 PM
At 3/19/2014 11:33:47 AM, TheOncomingStorm wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

God doesn't necessarily have to be an actor in every area of the universe whether he's actually present or not. Keep in mind this is not physical presence. It is possible for hell to exist, for God to be technically present, and for God to not be an actor. That can still be determined as separation spiritually.
So, would it be safe to say then that I, as an atheist, am in Hell now? Being spiritually separated?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 6:25:55 PM
At 3/19/2014 5:49:45 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Sure, he would have the choice. But if that were the case, I think we can call his benevolence into question.

How so, exactly?
superflymegastallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 6:31:35 PM
At 3/19/2014 6:25:55 PM, Idealist wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

How so, exactly?
Because if god created Hell, and he created the rules for you to go to Hell, and he watches you in Hell, I wouldn't consider that God a very nice individual. Given what a person can go to Hell for. Hope that made sense.
I don't tend to punish my daughter for eternity because she ate fish on the wrong day.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 9:39:18 PM
At 3/19/2014 6:31:35 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
At 3/19/2014 6:25:55 PM, Idealist wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

How so, exactly?
Because if god created Hell, and he created the rules for you to go to Hell, and he watches you in Hell, I wouldn't consider that God a very nice individual. Given what a person can go to Hell for. Hope that made sense.
I don't tend to punish my daughter for eternity because she ate fish on the wrong day.

Gotcha. I've never believed in the idea of Hell. To tell the truth it sounds rather ridiculous to me. I've always wondered, though, why people use arguments about God's supposed omnipresence, omniscience,etc. as way to create paradoxes meant to prove that God's not real. I mean, having a power doesn't demand that the power be used.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:16:26 PM
What is hell?
God's wrath.

Does hell exist?
Yes.

Why is this your view?
Because Scripture proves it to be true.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2014 11:23:59 PM
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

I guess I'm sort of a theist (it's complicated).

I do not believe in Hell.

However, I do believe that we are all connected, and we reap each others' hate (like karma). Because we are all connected, all hate harms ourselves. This can go on for generations.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 1:08:40 AM
At 3/19/2014 5:45:45 PM, superflymegastallion wrote:
What is hell?

Does hell exist?

Why is this your view?

Don't get me wrong sir, I understand that you don't know what Hell may be like, and neither do I. But if you don't know, I don't see how you can state that it is separation from god. The two statements don't seem mesh. Just to be clear on what I understand your statement to be, this is what I see you saying.
I don't know what Hell is, but this is what it is. That's what I see you saying here.

Ah, I apologize. I'm just guessing here, really.