Jump to topic:

Possible debate topic?

infam0us
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 5:11:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
resolved: if one religion must be true, christianity is most likely to be so.

i don't have enough knowledge to carry through with this but i bet a couple of you do. i would be psyched if two people would debate this. what do you think?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 5:14:11 PM
Interesting topic, but technically any religion could be true(we won't know until we die). I just feel mine is the most correct. ;)
ThebigB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 5:15:35 PM
At 1/27/2010 5:11:08 PM, infam0us wrote:

i don't have enough knowledge to carry through with this but i bet a couple of you do. i would be psyched if two people would debate this. what do you think?

Hm it would be a good debate. But i believe that it would be difficult. Personally i believe a polytheistic religion would win out.
If you do things right, then no will think you did anything at all.
infam0us
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 5:20:17 PM
At 1/27/2010 5:15:35 PM, ThebigB wrote:

Hm it would be a good debate. But i believe that it would be difficult. Personally i believe a polytheistic religion would win out.

difficult for who, pro or con? imo, i think pro would have a tough time justifying it against a tough debater.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 5:26:22 PM
To me personally Christianity is so rife with internal contradictions that this would be an easy win for con.

You might make it easier if you defined a specific branch of Christianity, but I really doubt it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 5:30:29 PM
At 1/27/2010 5:26:22 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
To me personally Christianity is so rife with internal contradictions that this would be an easy win for con.

You might make it easier if you defined a specific branch of Christianity, but I really doubt it.

Yeah, Christianity is the biggest fail religion ever. I DARE someone to say debate Christianity vs. Buddhism/Taoism.

Christianity would get shattered.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 3:43:25 AM
At 1/27/2010 5:30:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/27/2010 5:26:22 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Yeah, Christianity is the biggest fail religion ever. I DARE someone to say debate Christianity vs. Buddhism/Taoism.

Christianity would get shattered.

If we are strictly talking about the abrahamic religions, id say Islam wins, based on the least contradictions and the most evidence.

However, encompassing all religions, yes, Buddhism would win. Mahatma Gandhi is by far one of my favorite personal heroes, and his view on Ahimsa is based off ancient hindu/buddhism.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 3:44:05 AM

The Truth isn't a religion or a concept or a philosospy.. it's a Person.

The sort of Person that would forsake His rightful place and become the servant of all, to pay the price for all..

The Person of Jesus Christ.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 3:56:18 AM
At 1/28/2010 3:44:05 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

The sort of Person that would forsake His rightful place and become the servant of all, to pay the price for all..

So Jesus isnt God?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 8:28:59 AM
At 1/28/2010 3:56:18 AM, tkubok wrote:

So Jesus isnt God?

you cant answer that question without getting into a painstaking conversation about how to veiw the 'tri-une' godhead.

But if someone refers to Jesus as the Truth, its not a statement that he's that istead of something else, but a description of his specific nature as God. Beyond matter and energy there is a third and seperate component to reality called information. all the words I type are made of information that is in my brain. and yet if something awfull should happen to that grey matter causing me to die the information remains in existance hear on this thread. So information is independent of matter and energy. To say that Jesus is the Truth or the Word is to say he is the very substance of all information.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
ThebigB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 9:13:45 AM
At 1/27/2010 5:20:17 PM, infam0us wrote:
At 1/27/2010 5:15:35 PM, ThebigB wrote:

difficult for who, pro or con? imo, i think pro would have a tough time justifying it against a tough debater.
Deffiniatly pro. They would need real evidence and otherwise to back it. As for con it would simply be a matter of good philosophy.
If you do things right, then no will think you did anything at all.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 12:53:22 PM
At 1/28/2010 8:28:59 AM, Marauder wrote:

So Jesus isnt God?

you cant answer that question without getting into a painstaking conversation about how to veiw the 'tri-une' godhead.

But if someone refers to Jesus as the Truth, its not a statement that he's that istead of something else, but a description of his specific nature as God. Beyond matter and energy there is a third and seperate component to reality called information. all the words I type are made of information that is in my brain. and yet if something awfull should happen to that grey matter causing me to die the information remains in existance hear on this thread. So information is independent of matter and energy. To say that Jesus is the Truth or the Word is to say he is the very substance of all information.

No, its not that, Datcmoto said that Jesus forsake his rightful place as God. And if Jesus became God after he died, i fail to see how that is forasking his place as God.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2010 5:49:33 PM

So Jesus isnt God?

Of course not. I think DATCMOTO is onto something. ;D Haha.