Religious Community: Do you fast?

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 6:49:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/27/2014 5:38:48 AM, Haroush wrote:
If you do fast, how do you do it and why do you do it? If you don't, why not?

No, although I see nothing wrong with it if held as a personal practice which is not bound or forced upon others. The Jewish position, of course, is a little different.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 6:59:55 AM
At 3/27/2014 6:49:43 AM, annanicole wrote:

No, although I see nothing wrong with it if held as a personal practice which is not bound or forced upon others. The Jewish position, of course, is a little different.

Yes, in my opinion, the Jewish position is easier.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:03:50 AM
At 3/27/2014 6:59:55 AM, Haroush wrote:

Well, actually the Christian position is easier: one is not required to do it
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:06:37 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:03:50 AM, annanicole wrote:

Now that is a matter of debate. Not saying I'm necessarily willing to debate on this subject, but I bet there would be Christians that would disagree with you.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:07:27 AM

Now that is a matter of debate. Not saying I'm necessarily willing to debate on this subject, but I bet there would be Christians that would disagree with you.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:22:39 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:07:27 AM, Haroush wrote:

Disagree about what? All I said was that there is nothing wrong with it if a person wishes to do it, just as long as he doesn't try to impose it on others.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:30:32 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:22:39 AM, annanicole wrote:

Disagree about what? All I said was that there is nothing wrong with it if a person wishes to do it, just as long as he doesn't try to impose it on others.

About Christians being required to do it.

Matthew 6:16
"Now when you fast, don"t go around looking miserable, like the hypocrites. They make sour faces so that people will know they are fasting. Yes! I tell you, they have their reward already!
Matthew 6:15-17 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
Matthew 6:18
so that no one will know you are fasting " except your Father, who is with you in secret. Your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Matthew 6:17-19 (in Context) Matthew 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Acts 13:2
One time when they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Ruach HaKodesh said to them, "Set aside for me Bar-Nabba and Sha"ul for the work to which I have called them."

Acts 14:23
After appointing elders for them in every congregation, Sha"ul and Bar-Nabba, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord in whom they had put their trust.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:41:52 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:30:32 AM, Haroush wrote:

"Now when you fast, don"t go around looking miserable, like the hypocrites. They make sour faces so that people will know they are fasting. Yes! I tell you, they have their reward already!
so that no one will know you are fasting " except your Father, who is with you in secret. Your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

One time when they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Ruach HaKodesh said to them, "Set aside for me Bar-Nabba and Sha"ul for the work to which I have called them."

After appointing elders for them in every congregation, Sha"ul and Bar-Nabba, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord in whom they had put their trust.

Those passages simply demonstrate that both Jews and Christians at times practiced fasting. I never denied that. Where is the passage that says it is essential for Christians?
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:47:59 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:41:52 AM, annanicole wrote:

Those passages simply demonstrate that both Jews and Christians at times practiced fasting. I never denied that. Where is the passage that says it is essential for Christians?

Well, if it is how we receive our rewards other than the gift of grace, then wouldn't it be a necessity? Or what about in certain situations. Isn't it a necessity in certain situations?
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:48:35 AM

Well, if it is how we receive our rewards other than the gift of grace, then wouldn't it be a necessity? Or what about in certain situations. Isn't it a necessity in certain situations?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:53:10 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:48:35 AM, Haroush wrote:

Well, if it is how we receive our rewards other than the gift of grace, then wouldn't it be a necessity?

I never said it was "how we receive our rewards". Did you post a passage that states that?

Or what about in certain situations. Isn't it a necessity in certain situations?

Not that I know of - not for a Christian. A Christian might want to do it. If so, that's fine. But as far as being "necessary" for a Christian, I do not see a passage that teaches that.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:56:19 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:53:10 AM, annanicole wrote:

Well, if it is how we receive our rewards other than the gift of grace, then wouldn't it be a necessity?

I never said it was "how we receive our rewards". Did you post a passage that states that?

Or what about in certain situations. Isn't it a necessity in certain situations?

Not that I know of - not for a Christian. A Christian might want to do it. If so, that's fine. But as far as being "necessary" for a Christian, I do not see a passage that teaches that.

Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 7:56:52 AM

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:04:44 AM
At 3/27/2014 7:56:19 AM, Haroush wrote:

That was written to Jews under Jewish Law. I have previously noted that Jews were required to fast. I am asking for about Christians.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:08:06 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:04:44 AM, annanicole wrote:

That was written to Jews under Jewish Law. I have previously noted that Jews were required to fast. I am asking for about Christians.

Then why is it in those same Bible verses you are reading Yeshua is telling his disciples how to fast in order to receive rewards from heaven?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:14:20 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:08:06 AM, Haroush wrote:

Then why is it in those same Bible verses you are reading Yeshua is telling his disciples how to fast in order to receive rewards from heaven?

Because Jesus lived and died under the Law, and He was under it (as were all of His followers) when those words were spoken. The Mosaic Law under which Jesus lived was not taken away until the cross. Jesus practiced many things that were specific to the Jewish law: He kept the feasts, went through the rituals, worshiped on the Sabbath, etc.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:24:31 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:14:20 AM, annanicole wrote:

Because Jesus lived and died under the Law, and He was under it (as were all of His followers) when those words were spoken. The Mosaic Law under which Jesus lived was not taken away until the cross. Jesus practiced many things that were specific to the Jewish law: He kept the feasts, went through the rituals, worshiped on the Sabbath, etc.

You do know the Mosaic law is the ten commandments, right? It's not the full 613 commandments.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:43:02 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:24:31 AM, Haroush wrote:

You do know the Mosaic law is the ten commandments, right? It's not the full 613 commandments.

I didn't know (and don't know) exactly how many rules and regulations existed under the Jewish system (or whatever you want to call it). Nonetheless, the entire system was taken out of the way at the cross: that would include the many and various washings, Sabbath worship, animal sacrificial system, Jewish feast days, and the like.

I am using "Mosaic Law" or "Mosaic Code" as synonymous with "Jewish System". If you prefer different terminology, that's fine. It was still all done away at the cross.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:45:56 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:43:02 AM, annanicole wrote:

I didn't know (and don't know) exactly how many rules and regulations existed under the Jewish system (or whatever you want to call it). Nonetheless, the entire system was taken out of the way at the cross: that would include the many and various washings, Sabbath worship, animal sacrificial system, Jewish feast days, and the like.

I am using "Mosaic Law" or "Mosaic Code" as synonymous with "Jewish System". If you prefer different terminology, that's fine. It was still all done away at the cross.

So, now you are saying you don't even have to follow the ten commandments anymore?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:46:48 AM
I am basically asking for any "binding", any "requirement", of fasting for Christians living under the gospel age.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:49:51 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:45:56 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 3/27/2014 8:43:02 AM, annanicole wrote:

So, now you are saying you don't even have to follow the ten commandments anymore?

Correct. As it turns out, nine of them are repeated in the New Testament as commands for Christians, so we have to follow those nine. But as far as following the Ten Commandments because they are the Ten Commandments, no. Those commandments were given to Israelites.

The Sabbath observance would be the one that Christians are under no obligation to keep.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:55:12 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:46:48 AM, annanicole wrote:
I am basically asking for any "binding", any "requirement", of fasting for Christians living under the gospel age.

Well, let's see. Earlier you said Jesus had to do that because of the times he was living in, but what did he have to be afraid of? He knew he was going to get crucified either way. It just wouldn't make sense to me that Yeshua would simply compromise to do something wrong as he was already teaching the disciples to live differently from law at the time.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 9:01:27 AM
At 3/27/2014 8:55:12 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 3/27/2014 8:46:48 AM, annanicole wrote:

Well, let's see. Earlier you said Jesus had to do that because of the times he was living in, but what did he have to be afraid of? He knew he was going to get crucified either way. It just wouldn't make sense to me that Yeshua would simply compromise to do something wrong

I do not recall stating that Jesus did anything "wrong". If so, please provide the post number, and I'll be glad to go back and read it. I said He followed to the letter the law under which He was living.

as he was already teaching the disciples to live differently from law at the time.

Yes, He was teaching them certain principles of the New Covenant. Your reasoning would approve of Sabbath worship, animal sacrifice, keeping the Passover, and all the rest.

The Christian Age technically began at the Cross when Jesus shed His blood. The terms of the gospel were first proclaimed a few weeks later at Pentecost. For there on, we have the Christian Dispensation. Anything prior to the cross occurred under Jewish Law, although Jesus taught certain principles that would be His Law under the New Covenant.
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 9:03:25 AM
That is a complete and utter LIE! Please, anna, go do some real research into the meanings of the Sabbath which you, as a Gentile schizoid believer, haven't a clue about?

Tell us, anna, where the word is derived from historically? If you don't know you should not be spreading lies about worship of God and Christ.

Sabbath recognition is absolutely essential to recognition of the the spiritual meaning of Christ and His relationship to God Most High as Son. This is far deeper than Bible mythical history. This goes back 4000 years easily and is foundational to Jewish based Christianity. Tell us what you know before trying to play guru to others because as a Jew, you, the Gentile, appear to me to know very little about the Jewish or Christian religions but standard Gentile b.s., which you couple with extreme slander and ad hominen personal attack of others in order to play religious authority. You seem to be one of these terrible boors who must always be right and can never accept defeat of their argument. Just continue OCD style to repeat their failed arguments.

Prove me wrong, anna. Tell us where the word "Sabbath" originates. Good luck Wikipedia and Google searching and cut-n-paste response..
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 9:50:17 AM
At 3/27/2014 9:03:25 AM, biomystic wrote:
That is a complete and utter LIE! Please, anna, go do some real research into the meanings of the Sabbath which you, as a Gentile schizoid believer, haven't a clue about?

Tell us, anna, where the word is derived from historically? If you don't know you should not be spreading lies about worship of God and Christ.

Sabbath recognition is absolutely essential to recognition of the the spiritual meaning of Christ and His relationship to God Most High as Son. This is far deeper than Bible mythical history. This goes back 4000 years easily and is foundational to Jewish based Christianity. Tell us what you know before trying to play guru to others because as a Jew, you, the Gentile, appear to me to know very little about the Jewish or Christian religions but standard Gentile b.s., which you couple with extreme slander and ad hominen personal attack of others in order to play religious authority. You seem to be one of these terrible boors who must always be right and can never accept defeat of their argument. Just continue OCD style to repeat their failed arguments.

Prove me wrong, anna. Tell us where the word "Sabbath" originates. Good luck Wikipedia and Google searching and cut-n-paste response..

Biom, I understand your frustration truly, but please don't let this constructive conversation be ruined just because of a few things someone said. Like I said, don't get me wrong. I do understand where you are coming from. Though be patient and kind even with those whom you disagree with.

Please do the same Anna. Let's just focus on the intellectual points here. Please. Thank you.