Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

What if all religions are true?

Dishoungh
Posts: 150
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:29:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Then there probably wouldn't be division like there, but since we know that all "religions" cannot be the same that is why all the chaos of division among all religious beliefs.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:48:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:29:59 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Then there probably wouldn't be division like there, but since we know that all "religions" cannot be the same that is why all the chaos of division among all religious beliefs.

Most, if not all religions, involve believing in a Creator God.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:53:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Sure. I'm open to that possibility. I think all religions are usually an attempt at understanding God. Religions inform how men should please God, know God, how he relates with the world etc. I'm unsure as to the truth of some of their unique claims eg the Virgin birth, Krishna came to earth etc
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:57:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:48:31 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:29:59 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Then there probably wouldn't be division like there, but since we know that all "religions" cannot be the same that is why all the chaos of division among all religious beliefs.

Most, if not all religions, involve believing in a Creator God.

True, but there can't be absoluteness with all of them because if each is examined thoroughly there will be seen the differences in each belief system. But I understand your point.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 7:18:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Then the law of non-contradiction would be false.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 7:20:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 7:18:11 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Then the law of non-contradiction would be false.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 7:35:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Atheism is a religion?

I call discrimination!
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
Dishoungh
Posts: 150
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 7:44:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 7:35:36 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Atheism is a religion?

I call discrimination!

I took out Atheism because it excluded the belief of a God or Gods/Goddesses. You can't have Gods and not have them. That wouldn't make sense.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 7:48:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 7:44:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/30/2014 7:35:36 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Atheism is a religion?

I call discrimination!

I took out Atheism because it excluded the belief of a God or Gods/Goddesses. You can't have Gods and not have them. That wouldn't make sense.

Good, now apply that logic to gods of all different attributes, who claim to be exclusively the only one in existence.

Win
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:19:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

It would be a paradox, since that would mean that every deity ever worshipped is pantheistic, monotheistic, polytheistic, panentheistic, deistic, and nonexistant at the same time. There will be 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 gods and goddesses, even though most of them are supposed to be monotheistic. Jesus will be a prophet, a messiah, the monotheistic God, and nonexistant at the same time.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:49:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
All religious are attempting to put a name and a face to a divine concept and the diversity amongst religions come about through differing anthropological and cultural infusions. They are all correct in the sense that they are calling into being that which they are certain exists beyond the physical but they are all wrong in how they channel that natural spiritualism.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:50:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 7:44:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/30/2014 7:35:36 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Atheism is a religion?

I call discrimination!

I took out Atheism because it excluded the belief of a God or Gods/Goddesses. You can't have Gods and not have them. That wouldn't make sense.

Well, you technically when you realize that there are different definitions of God out there. So if a God did exist that satisfied a certain definition but not another, then you would have a state where God exist and doesn't exist simultaneously. However, this is exclusively an issue of semantics.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:53:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 9:51:55 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Correction:

"Well, you technically can when you realize realize . . . "

Sorry about this. I think faster than I type.
Dishoungh
Posts: 150
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:13:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 9:50:52 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 3/30/2014 7:44:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/30/2014 7:35:36 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Atheism is a religion?

I call discrimination!

I took out Atheism because it excluded the belief of a God or Gods/Goddesses. You can't have Gods and not have them. That wouldn't make sense.

Well, you technically when you realize that there are different definitions of God out there. So if a God did exist that satisfied a certain definition but not another, then you would have a state where God exist and doesn't exist simultaneously. However, this is exclusively an issue of semantics.

But, it still doesn't make any sense. You've stated paradox. How can you exist and not exist? That's like saying you've had sex then say you're a virgin. Either you are or you're not.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:15:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, it's my view that all religions have a bit of truth in them . . . but I don't believe one single religion today is 100% accurate with its views. They all have something wrong about them in their own way.

So is it possible to have a religion that is completely accurate with respect to what it teaches?

Honestly, I do not know the answer to this. My own suspicion is that it's probably not possible, simply because our species wont ever come to know everything that there is to know. However, I think our views of God will become more accurate with time - that I'm definitely certain about!
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:27:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 10:13:09 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/30/2014 9:50:52 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 3/30/2014 7:44:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/30/2014 7:35:36 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Atheism is a religion?

I call discrimination!

I took out Atheism because it excluded the belief of a God or Gods/Goddesses. You can't have Gods and not have them. That wouldn't make sense.

Well, you technically when you realize that there are different definitions of God out there. So if a God did exist that satisfied a certain definition but not another, then you would have a state where God exist and doesn't exist simultaneously. However, this is exclusively an issue of semantics.

But, it still doesn't make any sense. You've stated paradox. How can you exist and not exist? That's like saying you've had sex then say you're a virgin. Either you are or you're not.

Dishoungh, the problem is the language we use. Not all definitions of God are identical.

Let me give you an example of what I mean.

"Humans can fly."

Person A has no issue with this statement and asserts that it is true, because he interprets "flying" to mean having the capacity to travel through the air, from point of origin to intended destination. Humans can fly via planes, in dirigibles, so to him the statement is perfectly true.

But Person B asserts this statement is unsound, as humans do not have the capacity to fly through the air all by themselves without reliance on technology. To Person B the statement is absurd and obviously false!

Well, they're each using different definitions of what it means to "fly".

So here we have a condition in which humans have the ability to fly (according to one definition) and don't have the ability to fly simultaneously (or with regards to both definitions).

These semantic issues are also perfectly valid with respect to the variety of definitions of God that exist in the world.
Yoshi
Posts: 71
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 11:33:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

"every religion possible except Atheism"

How is it a religion?

If every religion was true, then the god/gods are idiots, unable to make correct communication (even in a single religion).

If any religion were true we'd know about it.
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 2:42:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:57:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:48:31 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 3/30/2014 5:29:59 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
Then there probably wouldn't be division like there, but since we know that all "religions" cannot be the same that is why all the chaos of division among all religious beliefs.

Most, if not all religions, involve believing in a Creator God.

True, but there can't be absoluteness with all of them because if each is examined thoroughly there will be seen the differences in each belief system. But I understand your point.

Bottomline: they have pros and cons.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:47:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:26:37 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
What if every religion possible except Atheism were true even though I know that's not the case.

Then the law of non-contradiction would be invalid and reality would be incomprehensible.