Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

To angry atheists

Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:47:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

I don't think any atheist blames religion for everything wrong with the world today.
Not do atheists ignore other causes of hate and violence.

However, this forum is the religion forum. I'm not sure what you would expect in this forum other than topics in which religion is the centerpiece of the conversation.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world. Religion can be practised in an intelligent, socially progressive fashion, so it isn't inherently the problem at all. The problem is when you combine religion with extreme stupidity and certain types of mental health issue, as it results in people being frothing dogmatists fuelled by hate and fear. Fundamentalists who deny reality to protect a literal belief are the problem, not religion or god or anything else.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world.

I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:35:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world. Religion can be practised in an intelligent, socially progressive fashion, so it isn't inherently the problem at all. The problem is when you combine religion with extreme stupidity and certain types of mental health issue, as it results in people being frothing dogmatists fuelled by hate and fear. Fundamentalists who deny reality to protect a literal belief are the problem, not religion or god or anything else.

The problem is that there are anti-theists with precisely that view, or who give that impression. And inpression counts, sometimes more than facts. If in truth atheists didn't have the attitude you claim; then the likes of Maher and Dawkins should have conceded the point when made; that people can do horrible things without being religiously motivated. Darouth and Lennox made that point to Maher and Dawkins respectively yet it want acknowledged.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:38:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today,

That is wrong. I know that religion isn't responsible for everything wrong in the world. It did play its role in messing things up.

but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

You are assuming that atheists blame religion and religion alone. That is completely wrong.

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Are you trying to use the no true scotsman fallacy?

Also, sometimes people will use religion as an excuse, but that is not as common as people actually acting under the name of religion/God.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:39:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Sure. People will quickly fight wars without religion just as with religion. I'd say religion gives one, one more thing to fight about; but on the flipside, it also can be one more thing which bonds the people who partake in it. BTW I think you are pushing atheist ish too much.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:41:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
hey hey hey, i started a nice list, dont mess me up ok.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:54:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world.

I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.

Sigh.

Dawkins doesn't speak for all atheists. No atheist speaks for all atheists. There is no central dogma to atheism, no scripture, nothing. The only thing that 'we' have in common is that we lack belief in god or, in a minority of cases, believe there is no god. To be very clear, the vast majority are of the former 'lack belief' camp.

That aside, religion has been behind a don of conflicts. So have political ideologies. The problems are always the same; stupidity, bigotry and greed. The problem many atheists have with religion is that it is used as a platform by the stupid, bigoted and greedy to excuse their hatred and self-interest. If people stopped pushing ideologies, tolerated differences of opinion and respected other people and were openly self-critical of their beliefs then these conflicts would not have occurred.

Accepting that beliefs - religious, political or any other - are fallible and should be closely and honestly examined is all it would take. Unfortunately, the more stupid, bigoted or greedy an individual is, the less likely they are to do this. Especially when said belief props up one of their pre-existing ideals.

No atheist speaks for all other atheists. They have one thing in common and one thing only. I may share more of my other views with atheists than I do with theists, but I think the Atheism+ movement is absolutely stupid because they are trying to do to 'atheism' what the intelligent design fanatics have done to Christianity, Zionism has done for Judaism and... well, Islam is a bit of a lost cause at the moment, so I don't even know where to start on attributing blame to that.

If there were a scripture that said only "do unto others" then I'd happily describe myself as an adherent of that religion. There isn't though, so I'm just an atheist who tries to live by the golden rule. If does turn out there's some judgement after I die, I'll turn up with "I tried to be a good person because I wanted to be a good person". Any judge who considers that grounds for eternal damnation is not one I'd want to glorify anyway.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:57:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

well I don't normally eat from a plate that has fillet mignon and dog poop.
would you?
I'm interested in consistency.
or I'll put it like this:
religious positives are diminished by religious negatives...thusly it is meaningless and worthless...

PS, as an anti theists I don't blame religion for everything wrong, that would be silly.
I blame people and I hold people accountable for their actions...religious beliefs demeans people who do not adhere to a particular belief....don't you think that is rather questionable in and of itself?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:10:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 8:35:44 AM, Iredia wrote:
The problem is that there are anti-theists with precisely that view, or who give that impression. And inpression counts, sometimes more than facts. If in truth atheists didn't have the attitude you claim; then the likes of Maher and Dawkins should have conceded the point when made; that people can do horrible things without being religiously motivated. Darouth and Lennox made that point to Maher and Dawkins respectively yet it want acknowledged.

I have myself heard Dawkins acknowledge that point, on television. I don't know who Darouth and Lennox are, but from what you say here I suspect they're just asking the same question over and over again for polemical reasons, as the answer is most definitely out there. Dawkins can be a bit of a tit, particularly when he ventures into the more philosophical areas of the debate, but he's a superb and articulate biologist who I can only imagine is profoundly sick of the stunts being pulled by the likes of Ken Ham. I would be rather surprised if you could quote Dawkins ever having said that all evil is rooted in religion, because it's a fairly obviously false statement. Which then leads me to wonder why Darouth and Lennox feel the need to ask him if he thinks it is the case or not, if not for reasons of rhetoric and the politicisation of religion.

Secondly, many theists need to understand that atheism isn't based on a central dogma. Beyond "I do not believe in god" or in a minority of cases "I believe there is no god", there is no belief necessarily common to all atheists.

If impressions count so much - and I'm not saying they don't matter, by the way - then religious groups would do very well to lead by example and purge the fanatics, denounce the polemicists and distance themselves from the pseudo-scientific political interests that are creationism and ID. As a humanistic type, I do just that whenever someone claims to have done or be doing something in the 'name' of atheism. They aren't and they do not speak for me.
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:34:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is insulting.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:41:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:34:40 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
This is insulting.

it sure is.
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:43:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:41:34 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:34:40 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
This is insulting.

it sure is.

We should rebel. I'm to lazy too so someone start something, in the mean time I'll have some chips.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:47:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:10:18 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 8:35:44 AM, Iredia wrote:

If impressions count so much - and I'm not saying they don't matter, by the way - then religious groups would do very well to lead by example and purge the fanatics, denounce the polemicists and distance themselves from the pseudo-scientific political interests that are creationism and ID. As a humanistic type, I do just that whenever someone claims to have done or be doing something in the 'name' of atheism. They aren't and they do not speak for me.
The people that are often considered fanatics (generally speaking) include those who consider the Bible to be the inerrant Word Of God. Just believing that the entire Bible is to be taken as the literal Word Of God is what classifies to some as being equivalent to a religious terrorist. That's the basic definition of a fundamentalist Christian. This has spawned the derogatory phrase (which I haven't seen used here yet) fundie. There's no apparent negative action required to fall into this category other than a particular belief itself.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:48:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:43:34 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:41:34 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:34:40 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
This is insulting.

it sure is.

We should rebel. I'm to lazy too so someone start something, in the mean time I'll have some chips.

hahhahh
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:50:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM, Installgentoo wrote:


I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.

yet you said that religion has been the cause of evil in the opening post, are you confused about something?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:51:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:48:58 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:43:34 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:41:34 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:34:40 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
This is insulting.

it sure is.

We should rebel. I'm to lazy too so someone start something, in the mean time I'll have some chips.

hahhahh

Wait I was serious :D
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:57:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:47:19 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
The people that are often considered fanatics (generally speaking) include those who consider the Bible to be the inerrant Word Of God. Just believing that the entire Bible is to be taken as the literal Word Of God is what classifies to some as being equivalent to a religious terrorist. That's the basic definition of a fundamentalist Christian. This has spawned the derogatory phrase (which I haven't seen used here yet) fundie. There's no apparent negative action required to fall into this category other than a particular belief itself.

That's because it requires rejecting scientific progress whilst embracing intolerant behaviours, whilst politicising the issue in order to not critically assess their own beliefs in light of new evidence. Nobody has a right to believe something without reality intruding and reminding them they're wrong. If they want to keep doing it that's fine, right up until the point where they try and force it on other people. At that point, reality trumps belief. If someone wants to believe the world is 6,000 years old and that ALL of modern biology and physics is a lie then that's up to them. They don't have a right to force it on others though. And nobody has the right to hold a stupid belief and not be told that it's a stupid belief, particularly when they're trying to shove it in everyone's faces.

I actually think the high level of hysteria amongst fundamentalist groups is down to the cognitive dissonance this causes. Which is why all the sane theists adapt their beliefs when insurmountable evidence shows parts of them to be false. I mean... which is the important bit; love they neighbour or why are there still monkeys? The choices people make when prioritising these speaks volumes about their intentions and reasoning.
slo1
Posts: 4,312
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:42:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

You think there are not religious beliefs that are harmful to others and any time there has been harm done in the name of religion, the religion was the cover for some other nefarious belief?

Sounds rather convoluted. Can't we just agree that there has been past harm done to millions of people done in the name of beliefs in religion, politics, and race.

The problem resides in dogma and an unwillingness to consider that it is more important to get along than it is to be right. That is why religion is often targeted, it supports and demands dogma, more so as it gets towards the fundamental side of the spectrum.

That same level of dogma is evident in other areas such as extreme nationalism or belief in race or ethnicity superiority, but religion is such a good breeding ground for it, so it makes some nice big targets.

North Korea is a great example of a non-religion based travesty to humanity. Political genocide of million or more that still continues this day. I rail against that just as much as I rail against fundamental Islam that loves to blow up different sects churches and create havoc around the world in the name of Islam.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 10:54:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 9:57:10 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 9:47:19 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
The people that are often considered fanatics (generally speaking) include those who consider the Bible to be the inerrant Word Of God. Just believing that the entire Bible is to be taken as the literal Word Of God is what classifies to some as being equivalent to a religious terrorist. That's the basic definition of a fundamentalist Christian. This has spawned the derogatory phrase (which I haven't seen used here yet) fundie. There's no apparent negative action required to fall into this category other than a particular belief itself.

That's because it requires rejecting scientific progress whilst embracing intolerant behaviours, whilst politicising the issue in order to not critically assess their own beliefs in light of new evidence. Nobody has a right to believe something without reality intruding and reminding them they're wrong. If they want to keep doing it that's fine, right up until the point where they try and force it on other people. At that point, reality trumps belief. If someone wants to believe the world is 6,000 years old and that ALL of modern biology and physics is a lie then that's up to them. They don't have a right to force it on others though. And nobody has the right to hold a stupid belief and not be told that it's a stupid belief, particularly when they're trying to shove it in everyone's faces.

I actually think the high level of hysteria amongst fundamentalist groups is down to the cognitive dissonance this causes. Which is why all the sane theists adapt their beliefs when insurmountable evidence shows parts of them to be false. I mean... which is the important bit; love they neighbour or why are there still monkeys? The choices people make when prioritising these speaks volumes about their intentions and reasoning.
First off, the idea that all fundamentalists need do is to keep our beliefs to ourselves, and everything will be fine is false. We don't need to force our beliefs. People seek Christians all of the time, whether it be going to a church, or just approaching someone they know is a Christian to ask questions. Or, some challenge Christians simply because they know they are Christian without any particular coercion (e.g., being approached with a Gospel tract, being witnessed to at a bus stop, etc.). As long as that happens, in a free world environment, fundamentalist Christianity is going no where (as in will remain as is), and neither is creationism.

Believe it or not, Christians and non Christians see the fallacies presented by evolutionists. Evolution, whether it's technically a religion or not, is all about religion. It always was a religious (or more appropriately, Christian) issue (albeit, on the anti side). There are enough scientists who were once evolutionists who became creationists not just because scripture goes against it, but because they found evolution to be flawed. The demand for monopolization of evolution should raise a red flag for everyone. In a way, it's almost an attempt at illegalizing the belief that the Bible is inerrant, without implementing criminal convictions.

And by the way, Creationist scientists are not demanding that evolution not be taught in school, but that both Creationism and Evolution be presented so individuals can make their own choice.

You seem to even support, as well as rationalize my view of fundamentalists being associated with religious terrorists without needing to take any action. Just the fundamentalist belief alone. And your plea to purge the fanatics seems to be aimed at liberal Christians to purge out those who view the Bible as inerrant. Is that correct?
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:00:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:42:25 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

You think there are not religious beliefs that are harmful to others and any time there has been harm done in the name of religion, the religion was the cover for some other nefarious belief?

Sounds rather convoluted. Can't we just agree that there has been past harm done to millions of people done in the name of beliefs in religion, politics, and race.

The problem resides in dogma and an unwillingness to consider that it is more important to get along than it is to be right. That is why religion is often targeted, it supports and demands dogma, more so as it gets towards the fundamental side of the spectrum.

That same level of dogma is evident in other areas such as extreme nationalism or belief in race or ethnicity superiority, but religion is such a good breeding ground for it, so it makes some nice big targets.

North Korea is a great example of a non-religion based travesty to humanity. Political genocide of million or more that still continues this day. I rail against that just as much as I rail against fundamental Islam that loves to blow up different sects churches and create havoc around the world in the name of Islam.

Religion in and of itself is not harmful. We cannot point to Al Qaeda and simply sweep 'religion' as the cause of it in a sweeping generalization. There are ... well billion or so more Muslims NOT engaged in terrorism than there are engaged in terrorism. Indeed, scholars like Tahir Al-Qadri have used religion as a basis to thoroughly condemn terrorism and have gone, literally point by point, and eradicated Al Qaede's religious basis.

Does that not count in the tally of religion? Do the billion or so Muslims giving to charity count for nothing? Or have we in a way validated terrorism by only counting the ones who resort to violence?

And the underlying reasons for the rise in terrorism are not so simple, the place Bin Laden, for example, wanted political power was Saudi Arabia. There has been a long standing battle between conservatism and liberalizing tendencies in the society. Bin Laden sought to use force to crush the liberalizing tendencies. Is that political struggle the result of religion? Or is it a classic example of power, and the desire for power, corrupting the problem?

Should we ignore the radicalization that Bin Laden and his followers found in Afghanistan? Atheist Russian Soldiers brutalizing a population of Muslims? Killing more than million of them, dropping bombs indiscriminately?

Should we ignore Zia Ul Haq and his actions? Th utilization of political power to deliberately empower radical elements over moderate elements? And why was this? Should we ignore that Pakistan lost several wars to India and that they were humiliated and needed something besides a conventional force to meet their policy objectives? The creating terrorist proxies they were able to exert pressure in Kashmire and against Russia in Afghanistan and prevent the Indians from influencing Afghanistan and inflaming the Pashtu?

Is that a good or bad use of religion to make a people do unconquerable and stubborn that it effectively blocks the strategic advances of two much more powerful enemies?

And yet, having created these proxies, the proxies themselves have now decided to use that power for their own political objectives ... so was it good? And as these groups, following the same blue print, creating their own little fiefdoms, simply breeding instability and reducing even Pakistan's strategic goals?

We see that there is complexity here, and the single thing that drives this is the calculus of the great game: the desire for political power and prestige ... and that, seems to be what unleashed the inhumanity of man to the greatest extend ... whatever ideology they happen to harness to achieve their objectives.
bulproof
Posts: 25,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:00:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world.

I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.

Sheeeeeeeeit your funny.

Keep it up.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:13:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 10:54:12 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

I am not interested in turning this thread into another laborious attempt to convince people who don't understand science that they don't understand science. Particularly not when it seems they've already profoundly missed the point I was making on the topic the thread is, at least nominally, about. If you want to put your beliefs head-to-head with reality then that's up to you, but don't expect the rest of us to pretend we think you've got a point when you haven't.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 11:42:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:00:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world.

I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.

Sheeeeeeeeit your funny.

Keep it up.

And that is why religion is evil ... what particular logic that is.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 12:54:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Am I an angry atheist? I don't feel angry. If there is anger being expressed on this forum then I think Christians should look to neutral or biomystic to find it.

Each has his own reason for his anger but neither can disguise it for long. One is definitely angry because he has to live his life as a contradiction. The other has been brought up to express anger toward Christians and others who are not of his faith.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 1:18:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 11:00:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world.

I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.

Sheeeeeeeeit your funny.

Keep it up.

Do any of your comments ever actually pertain to the topic of the thread in which they're posted?
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 1:29:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/31/2014 1:18:05 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/31/2014 11:00:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:55:26 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:53:05 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 3/31/2014 7:26:44 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I know you guys blame religion for everything wrong with the world today, but have you looked at all the other things that have motivated people to attack each other or cause problems for each other throughout history?

Do you think maybe people just use religion as an excuse to hurt each other rather than as a real reason for doing so?

Do you think maybe you should stop assuming what other people think and stop to listen to what they have to say for once? I've never met anyone who blames religion for everything wrong with the world.

I have, Richard Dawkins in his documentary "The Root Of All evil?" It describes religion as being behind tonnes of conflicts without actually providing much evidence for this assertion.

Sheeeeeeeeit your funny.

Keep it up.

Do any of your comments ever actually pertain to the topic of the thread in which they're posted?

Apparently not ... but we are just not smart enough to see the grand plan ... it sucks being so inferior ... or possibly just intelligent enough to see silliness for what it is.