Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What IS God?

Finalfan
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 11:19:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To me God is everything. Not to say I have any knowledge of whether or not this is true it is innocuous and requires no questions of existential meaning! Finding hope and strength in spiritual embrace is most definitely rewarding and has intoxicating if not addictive quality. I have experienced many spiritual awakenings and none of them led me to servitude or feelings of inadequacy! They were empowering leading me to feel confident in the "Truth" I had witnessed and my ego created a role for me to question my indoctrination into society. This is not easy because I am at the "if you cant beat them join them" attitude that fuels the many atrocities done in the name of God, America, Freedom, justice, capital gain... Where do I turn, because It seems that everyone is content with our design. They tolerate inequality and boast a all powerful, Benevolent God without explaining how Human trafficking can still exist.. or why prayer is useless... "Praying that God will save you from your pain is like asking the ocean to save you from the waves"!
ethang5
Posts: 4,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 8:05:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:19:59 PM, Finalfan wrote:
To me God is everything. Not to say I have any knowledge of whether or not this is true it is innocuous and requires no questions of existential meaning! Finding hope and strength in spiritual embrace is most definitely rewarding and has intoxicating if not addictive quality. I have experienced many spiritual awakenings and none of them led me to servitude or feelings of inadequacy! They were empowering leading me to feel confident in the "Truth" I had witnessed and my ego created a role for me to question my indoctrination into society. This is not easy because I am at the "if you cant beat them join them" attitude that fuels the many atrocities done in the name of God, America, Freedom, justice, capital gain... Where do I turn, because It seems that everyone is content with our design. They tolerate inequality and boast a all powerful, Benevolent God without explaining how Human trafficking can still exist.. or why prayer is useless... "Praying that God will save you from your pain is like asking the ocean to save you from the waves"!

FF, I'm suffering because I have no money. Could you help me out with $100.00? Please?
ethang5
Posts: 4,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 2:37:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Notice after all of FF's high sounding platitudes about goodness and how God isn't, he will not even acknowledge a suffering person who reaches out to him. A person he can easily help.

But he will ignore the suffering right before his eyes that he can sooth, and condemn God for suffering a 1,000 years ago. What hypocrites atheists are!
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 10:27:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/16/2014 10:14:51 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
God is the one who we will all meet on judgement day to give an account for our life .

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 11:10:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/16/2014 10:27:05 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:14:51 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
God is the one who we will all meet on judgement day to give an account for our life .

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.

That question is a joke. Havent you ever seen a scenario where Mr A knows the full truth about Mr B but still questions him before punishing him or passing a sentence.
Kerfluffer
Posts: 123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 11:17:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It depends on your definition. At least in the three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), God is infinite, omniscient and omnipotent. He exists in all dimensions at once.

This means that He is neither limited by time nor by physical laws.

Such a being is, of course, impossible to fully comprehend with our finite minds. I guess even some agnostics also share this idea of God, except it's different because to them God would be an abstract force and not a person. Each religion considers their holy scriptures to be a revelation of Him in a way that is understandable by mankind - not the whole picture, as that would be impossible, but all we need to know.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 11:39:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/16/2014 11:10:04 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:27:05 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:14:51 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
God is the one who we will all meet on judgement day to give an account for our life .

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.

That question is a joke. Havent you ever seen a scenario where Mr A knows the full truth about Mr B but still questions him before punishing him or passing a sentence.

Let's try that again.

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 5:28:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/16/2014 11:10:04 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:27:05 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:14:51 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
God is the one who we will all meet on judgement day to give an account for our life .

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.

That question is a joke. Havent you ever seen a scenario where Mr A knows the full truth about Mr B but still questions him before punishing him or passing a sentence.

In those scenarios, "Mr A" doesn't know ********EVERYTHING********. They may know the truth, but questioning can still give further information. That would be obsolete for an omniscient god.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Finalfan
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 2:39:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
ethang5: You completely lost me buddy. Its as if you read someone else's post and then targeted me by soliciting 100 buck from me. I did not get your point at all. Leading me to believe you did not grasp the concept I had presented!
Finalfan
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 2:42:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ethang5: Also today (17th of april) is the first time I received a notification for this forum. I thought people were ignoring it. Plus I would pee on you if you were on fire. But How could I know you wouldn't spend the 100 bucks I sent you on drugs or junk food?
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 3:15:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 11:19:59 PM, Finalfan wrote:
To me God is everything.

According to the Bible God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.

1 John 4:16
Finalfan
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 3:33:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You are aware that the "identity of God" is limited by human interpretation. Even if a God exists I find it to be quite impossible to define it with our finite mind! I think the ego has to fill a gap.. that is simply not meant to be filled.. at least within the boundaries of conceivable thought!
Finalfan
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 4:08:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1 Corinthians 13: 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

4: Love is patient, love is kind... as it killed the entire world in a slow drowning death! Inflicting humans with pestilence and Genocide!
It does not envy nor boast, it is not proud... God's name is "Jealous"... God is the epitome of Egotism and arrogance demanding worship at the threat of eternal torture

5. It does not dishonor others: Except for threatening to smear feces on peoples faces
it is not self seeking: except when demanding that we follow its will above our own
It is not easily angered: except when exacting revenge on those who oppose him.
It keeps no record of wrongs: Except in a book for use in judgement!

6.It does not delight in evil. Except when describing the joy of bathing your feet in your enemies blood and smashing your babies head on rocks
It rejoices with the truth: except the bible and misleading spirits who corrupt the mind.

7.It protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres: Except when it abandons or attacks, tests,..
It hopes you will suspend rational thought while persevering in the torture of His Children!
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 6:22:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
God is the creator of the universe. He sets laws of physics, chemistry, biology to guide nature. And spiritual and moral laws to guide humanity.

God wasnt created nor can be destroyed or overthrown.

God is too complex for the human brain to grasp so we are sometimes confused by his actions and ways.

Reality is all in Gods mind.
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 6:23:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
God is the creator of the universe. He sets laws of physics, chemistry, biology to guide nature. And spiritual and moral laws to guide humanity.God wasnt created nor can be destroyed or overthrown.
God is too complex for the human brain to grasp so we are sometimes confused by his actions and ways.

Reality is all in Gods mind.
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 6:24:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
God is the creator of the universe. He sets laws of physics, chemistry, biology to guide nature. And spiritual and moral laws to guide humanity.God wasnt created nor can be destroyed or overthrown.
God is too complex for the human brain to grasp so we are sometimes confused by his actions and ways. Reality is all in Gods mind.
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 7:18:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/16/2014 11:39:41 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/16/2014 11:10:04 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:27:05 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/16/2014 10:14:51 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
God is the one who we will all meet on judgement day to give an account for our life .

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.

That question is a joke. Havent you ever seen a scenario where Mr A knows the full truth about Mr B but still questions him before punishing him or passing a sentence.


Let's try that again.

Why would an omniscient god need me to tell it anything.

Duh. In that case prayer is not need (since God Knows it all). Never the less we are still expected to pray not because God doesnt know what we want but he wants to ask.

Ask and it shall be given unto you.

God telling you to give an account of your life doesnt mean that he doesnt know what you did but by bearing a witness to what you did on earth

The point is that you get to reflect on your life .You are also revealing you to yourself.
You get to explain you spent your life and you narrate you to yourself and God so after judgement day if u get condemed you would know its your fault and if you get into paridise you would be proud and happy with yourself.

Thats the point of giving an account of your life.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:53:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/17/2014 7:18:50 PM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
You get to explain you spent your life and you narrate you to yourself and God so after judgement day if u get condemed you would know its your fault and if you get into paridise you would be proud and happy with yourself.

I bet it took a while to finish this sentence, but it should read:

You get to explain you spent your life and you narrate you to yourself and God so after judgement day if u get condemed you would know its your fault and if you get into paridise you would know that it wasn't your fault

So no free will then? Cos if your god exists and requests an accounting then I'd tell him to go f*ck himself.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Dwint
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 2:16:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Duh. In that case prayer is not need (since God Knows it all). Never the less we are still expected to pray not because God doesnt know what we want but he wants to ask.

Ask and it shall be given unto you.

God telling you to give an account of your life doesnt mean that he doesnt know what you did but by bearing a witness to what you did on earth

Why does God need all of these primitive rituals? Why do we have to pray? Does God really need to hear all the prayers? He can't even help you, because everything is part of the good old Divine Plan. If you have cancer, it's God's plan, so why bother to pray for your life? Praying is simply meaningless.
Hitchens is the way!
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 11:38:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/18/2014 2:16:26 AM, Dwint wrote:
Duh. In that case prayer is not need (since God Knows it all). Never the less we are still expected to pray not because God doesnt know what we want but he wants to ask.

Ask and it shall be given unto you.

God telling you to give an account of your life doesnt mean that he doesnt know what you did but by bearing a witness to what you did on earth


Why does God need all of these primitive rituals? Why do we have to pray? Does God really need to hear all the prayers? He can't even help you, because everything is part of the good old Divine Plan. If you have cancer, it's God's plan, so why bother to pray for your life? Praying is simply meaningless.

You have no idea of how many people had cancer , prayed to God and God healed them. On going back to the doctor the cancer in their body was gone.

Most people dont beleive in miracles because it doesnt seem to work when they asked for one. With enough faith and righteous living you could move mountains.

From a personal perspective prayer has worked for me dont know about you. It would be better to try praying and believe it would happen, rather than wait for evidence that prayer works. (if you do so then you would wait for a loooong time my friend)

And further more its not Gods divine plan for negative things to come our way. Why does God then allow some things to come our way ? I dont know . But what I do know is:

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose

As long as God is with you all things would eventually work together for your good. Take Job in the bible for example.

All his Kids died on the same day, he got sick, his friends told him to curse God, He lost his source of income (His goats, sheep, cattle etc), his servants died all within a day.

Yet at the end what do we see, we see a faithfull loyal servant , who didnt give in to those temptations of cursing, hating, rebelling God. at the end every thing all worked together for good. He got everything back in double or even tripple fold. And lived long enough to enjoy the blessings and he became engraved in History for his faithfullness.

So the bible is right all things work together for good to them that love God.

Hating your maker will only end up in you loosing if u hate him he has nothing to loose. Not only will you deprive yourself from his grace and goodness you also get condemned in eternal torment with the Devil who is also guilty of the same rebilious nature and his angels and the rest of the sinners.
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 11:43:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/18/2014 11:38:30 AM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
You have no idea of how many people had cancer , prayed to God and God healed them. On going back to the doctor the cancer in their body was gone.

And neither do you. Even more, nobody has any evidence that it ever happened.
You need to grow up and not get involved in adult discussions until you are capable.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 11:56:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/18/2014 11:43:00 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/18/2014 11:38:30 AM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
You have no idea of how many people had cancer , prayed to God and God healed them. On going back to the doctor the cancer in their body was gone.

And neither do you. Even more, nobody has any evidence that it ever happened.
You need to grow up and not get involved in adult discussions until you are capable.

Says the guy stuck up in His world without even hearing countless testimonies of miracles. Expand your knowledge a bit and listen to the accounts of everyday people talking about the miracles God did in their lives , healing miracles, how God dilievered them from ghastly accidents without a scratch, how God healed marriages and how He delivered them from addictions.

You wont believe in miracles till you need one. And thats the truth.
arielmessenger
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:00:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh that's B.S! Rhema, stop promoting false Christian doctrine, please? I know you read it in a book and therefore think it's more real than the Spirit of Christ, but it isn't, never was, and it's false belief because it's not of Christ or God. It's Paul's wrong idea that creates another god, Satan, who rules over the Underworld where sinners are punished forever. And it's baloney and totally unChristian as it doesn't follow the teachings of Jesus Christ who taught what, Rhema? What did Jesus teach? That God punishes sinners? Or did He teach that God Forgives sinners? Which is it? Revenge and punishment for sinners or Forgiveness of sins for sinners? You can't serve two masters at once, remember..

Pope Francis, a real Miracle in the Catholic Church if there ever was one as he is the very First Pope in history to actually be a true Christian, has said Hell doesn't exist. It was a coercion ploy of priesthoods to get people to believe in Christianity. And if you think about logically, a God of Love must be a God who Forgives as Love is pure forgiveness of all the fault's of another, ALL of them. It would be a horrible joke on believers in God and Christ if they were to find at death's door God saying, "Oh no, when I said I forgive sinners their sins I didn't really mean it for your case and I didn't forgive you, you were too bad, you fry in Hell forever", what kind of love is that? A God who creates the Universe seems to me capable of fixing most any damaged soul quite easily, even a Hitler or Hillary one..
arielmessenger
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:03:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"Hating your maker will only end up in you loosing if u hate him he has nothing to loose. Not only will you deprive yourself from his grace and goodness you also get condemned in eternal torment with the Devil who is also guilty of the same rebilious nature and his angels and the rest of the sinners."

At 4/18/2014 12:00:33 PM, arielmessenger wrote:
Oh that's B.S! Rhema, stop promoting false Christian doctrine, please? I know you read it in a book and therefore think it's more real than the Spirit of Christ, but it isn't, never was, and it's false belief because it's not of Christ or God. It's Paul's wrong idea that creates another god, Satan, who rules over the Underworld where sinners are punished forever. And it's baloney and totally unChristian as it doesn't follow the teachings of Jesus Christ who taught what, Rhema? What did Jesus teach? That God punishes sinners? Or did He teach that God Forgives sinners? Which is it? Revenge and punishment for sinners or Forgiveness of sins for sinners? You can't serve two masters at once, remember..

Pope Francis, a real Miracle in the Catholic Church if there ever was one as he is the very First Pope in history to actually be a true Christian, has said Hell doesn't exist. It was a coercion ploy of priesthoods to get people to believe in Christianity. And if you think about logically, a God of Love must be a God who Forgives as Love is pure forgiveness of all the fault's of another, ALL of them. It would be a horrible joke on believers in God and Christ if they were to find at death's door God saying, "Oh no, when I said I forgive sinners their sins I didn't really mean it for your case and I didn't forgive you, you were too bad, you fry in Hell forever", what kind of love is that? A God who creates the Universe seems to me capable of fixing most any damaged soul quite easily, even a Hitler or Hillary one..
RHEMA.97
Posts: 42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 1:58:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/18/2014 12:00:33 PM, arielmessenger wrote:
Oh that's B.S! Rhema, stop promoting false Christian doctrine, please? I know you read it in a book and therefore think it's more real than the Spirit of Christ, but it isn't, never was, and it's false belief because it's not of Christ or God. It's Paul's wrong idea that creates another god, Satan, who rules over the Underworld where sinners are punished forever. And it's baloney and totally unChristian as it doesn't follow the teachings of Jesus Christ who taught what, Rhema? What did Jesus teach? That God punishes sinners? Or did He teach that God Forgives sinners? Which is it? Revenge and punishment for sinners or Forgiveness of sins for sinners? You can't serve two masters at once, remember..

Pope Francis, a real Miracle in the Catholic Church if there ever was one as he is the very First Pope in history to actually be a true Christian, has said Hell doesn't exist. It was a coercion ploy of priesthoods to get people to believe in Christianity. And if you think about logically, a God of Love must be a God who Forgives as Love is pure forgiveness of all the fault's of another, ALL of them. It would be a horrible joke on believers in God and Christ if they were to find at death's door God saying, "Oh no, when I said I forgive sinners their sins I didn't really mean it for your case and I didn't forgive you, you were too bad, you fry in Hell forever", what kind of love is that? A God who creates the Universe seems to me capable of fixing most any damaged soul quite easily, even a Hitler or Hillary

Scriptures say hell is real. Those who say hell does not exist are preaching a false doctrine.

What does scripture say:

Mark 9:43-48 says, "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

If you say God is all Loving and kind remember he also says he is a CONSUMING FIRE.

Revelation 21:7-8
7 Those who overcometh will inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be my son.
8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars"they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Remember the story of Lazarus and the rich man. the rich man went to hell and Lazarus went to heaven. And he (the rich man ) looked up and saw Lazarus and Abraham dining in heaven. Later on he tells them that let him be set free so that he can warn his brothers and siters about this place....... I would suppose you know this story.

Revelation 20:11-15
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

You may want to cross check your beliefs again at least think of those who would be affected by what you teach. Their blood may be on your hands.

Just as I was once taught that 'once saved always saved' was true I cross checked it and saw its just a false teachings.

And Jesus warned us about false teachings in these last days. So it would be best to always check cross check your own beliefs
Dwint
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 2:56:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/18/2014 11:56:12 AM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
At 4/18/2014 11:43:00 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/18/2014 11:38:30 AM, RHEMA.97 wrote:
You have no idea of how many people had cancer , prayed to God and God healed them. On going back to the doctor the cancer in their body was gone.

And neither do you. Even more, nobody has any evidence that it ever happened.
You need to grow up and not get involved in adult discussions until you are capable.

Says the guy stuck up in His world without even hearing countless testimonies of miracles. Expand your knowledge a bit and listen to the accounts of everyday people talking about the miracles God did in their lives , healing miracles, how God dilievered them from ghastly accidents without a scratch, how God healed marriages and how He delivered them from addictions.

You wont believe in miracles till you need one. And thats the truth.

There are also thousands of people who claim they have been abducted by aliens. Should we believe them too? Personal experiences prove nothing.
Hitchens is the way!