Religion and Morality

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 3:31:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/3/2014 3:11:56 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Do you guys think religion is the best source of morals in today's society?

No.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 3:50:20 PM

I don't even know what it would mean for religion to be a source of morality. Obviously religions at least inform people's moral beliefs. That's uncontroversial, so that can't be what it means.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
TheWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 4:50:34 PM
I do not think that religion should be used as a source for morals. I think that sometimes it is used as a source when it should be used more as a supplement.
https://docs.google.com...
Lead Enforcer of the DDO Revolutionary Party
TheGhostOfCivilization
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2017 5:09:01 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
"Religion" and "morality" do not belong together, contrary to the general belief of the public. In fact, more religious states and countries tend to have higher rates of violent crime than less religious states and countries do. The Bible does teach many good lessons about love, peace, forgiveness, and other moral teachings as well that are good to live by. But if you did a lot of the other teachings, especially some in the Old Testament, you would be put in maximum security prison. Rape and incest are perfectly ok according to the Bible, so is genocide and slavery and in many cases murder is acceptable too. But the Bible does say that it's immoral to eat pork or wear mixed-fiber clothing. Gotta draw the line somewhere I suppose.

It's not just Christianity that has immoral teachings. Look at all of the terrorist attacks in the West and tragedies in the Middle East that have been committed in the name of Islam. And Islam turned the Middle East from the world's center of education and knowledge to a very backwards and repressive place (generally speaking).

So no, religion and morality are not the same thing. Religion does have good teachings, but other teachings shouldn't be followed under any circumstance as they are the complete opposite of moral.
-TheGhostOfCivilization
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2017 5:28:21 AM
Posted: 3 months ago

Pass. My poor little head can't do morals.
I kind of think so but. Then I get to thinking , if you denounce your religious beliefs, do you wake up the next day with no morals . Then I get to thinking if you believed in two religious beliefs would you be double moral.
Then I try to change the word ( morals ) for 5 0r 10 words to better explain morals ,
Then I try to stop thinking about morals.
If I was a theist , I'd bring up morals in every second sentence.

I decided a while ago, I'd agree with what Philochristos thinks on this subject .
His smart as fuk. And by far the smartest Theist on this site.