Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Why does there have to be a supreme being??

laocmo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:46:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Who ever came up with the idea that there has to be a supreme infinite anything? I could see believing that some being somewhere could be more powerful than any being we now know of, but infinite?? Think about it. There is no supreme infinite number because no matter how large a number could be conceived by anyone, I could add 1 to it making it bigger. If God is defined by all his attributes as listed by theologians of old, omniscient, omnipresent, etc. I"m sure if given that list I could come up with one more that was not on it. Then a new being having that new attribute would be more powerful than the old one.

Finally, Cantor showed that there can be two things that are both infinite and equal. There are an infinite number of odd and an infinite number of even numbers for instance. And taken together the infinite number of both is equal to the infinite number of one of either group.

There are an infinite number of 2-dimensional smooth curved line segments. There are an infinite number of crooked line segments. Yet the crooked lines far outnumber the smooth lines. There are infinitely more.

It would seem there either might not be an infinite God, or maybe several of them, all infinite yet some larger (the crooked lines) than the others ( the smooth lines).
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 11:00:58 AM
i suppose the need for a supreme being came about for several reasons but not just these...
1. a way to explain the unexplainable
2. justifying ones hostile position
3. death
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 11:19:02 AM
A supreme being is needed to explain a lot of the data of science today, such as the origin of the universe from literally nothing, the reason for things existing rather than nothing, the reason we have objective moral values and duties, etc, etc.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 11:25:33 AM
At 4/4/2014 11:19:02 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
A supreme being is needed to explain a lot of the data of science today, such as the origin of the universe from literally nothing, the reason for things existing rather than nothing, the reason we have objective moral values and duties, etc, etc.

I have to admit, the supreme being is finally getting with science's big bang theory, albeit about 4.5 billion years too late.

At least the catholic church part of him. (it) whatta guy!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 5:20:19 PM
At 4/4/2014 10:46:52 AM, laocmo wrote:
Who ever came up with the idea that there has to be a supreme infinite anything? I could see believing that some being somewhere could be more powerful than any come up with one more that was not on it. Then a new being having that new being we now know of, but infinite?? Think about it. There is no supreme infinite number because no matter how large a number could be conceived by anyone, I could add 1 to it making it bigger. If God is defined by all his attributes as listed by theologians of old, omniscient, omnipresent, etc. I"m sure if given that list I could attribute would be more powerful than the old one.

Finally, Cantor showed that there can be two things that are both infinite and equal. There are an infinite number of odd and an infinite number of even numbers for instance. And taken together the infinite number of both is equal to the infinite number of one of either group.

There are an infinite number of 2-dimensional smooth curved line segments. There are an infinite number of crooked line segments. Yet the crooked lines far outnumber the smooth lines. There are infinitely more.

It would seem there either might not be an infinite God, or maybe several of them, all infinite yet some larger (the crooked lines) than the others ( the smooth lines).

There are an infinite amount of wavelengths, which is the language of our Creator. The computer binary language is limited to one "0" and one "1". Can you imagine what we could compute if binary language used a thousand digits of some sort? Now can you imagine the illusions God can form from His infinite language of wavelengths?
laocmo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 7:31:48 PM
You make all this up? "There are an infinite amount of wavelengths, which is the language of our Creator. The computer binary language is limited to one "0" and one "1". Can you imagine what we could compute if binary language used a thousand digits of some sort? Now can you imagine the illusions God can form from His infinite language of wavelengths?"

By defination Binary means 0 or 1. Arithmetic is what uses thousands of digits of some sort. I can imagine the thousands of illusions of God that we create using only 26 letters of the alphabet.