Total Posts:78|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Questions about Christianity 2

violetviolin
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 10:45:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

Why should I accept Biblical evidence.
0x5f3759df
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 10:51:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

hello.
is it an accurate understanding for Christians to believe everyone deserves to be punished for being born into sin and the only redeemable aspect of their life is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?
2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?
3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?
4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?
5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?
6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?
7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?
8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?
9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?
10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?
11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?
12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 11:28:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM, philochristos wrote:
1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?
2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?
3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?
4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?
5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?
6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?
7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?
8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?
9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?
10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?
11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?
12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?

lol
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 11:34:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

"I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session."

In other words, you want people to ask you a question about Christianity. Then you will proceed to answer it correctly. Then you move on to the next question, and nobody questions your answer. We have a spot in Vatican City for you. If you prefer an American locale, perchance the WatchTower has an opening.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 12:49:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM, philochristos wrote:
1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?
2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?
3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?
4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?
5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?
6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?
7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?
8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?
9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?
10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?
11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?
12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?

Philochistos highlights the problem(s) with the op nicely. The op won't be able to hive a definitive answer about what Christians believe, unless the op is willing to deny that any self professed christians who disagree with him are actually Christian.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:12:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

I agree. I see these people who know absolutely nothing about the bible and I try to reason with them. And if they do read it, they just take it at base value, and give no actual attempt to study the text. The worst kind of person though, is the one who believes everything must be true because its in the bible. Esspecially the old testament. That had 100's of authors.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 1:53:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
hello.
is it an accurate understanding for Christians to believe everyone deserves to be punished for being born into sin and the only redeemable aspect of their life is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ?

Within christian theology are multiple views on this issue. Catholics believe that we are born in sin, Most non-Catholics do not. Sin however is not a genetic thing. A baby has no moral capacity for determining right from wrong, thus no punishment is deserved by it. When a person knowingly makes a morally reproachable decision out of free-will however, they bear the guilt for their actions. This is sin, and its what separates man from God. The existence of hell is not for the sole purpose of punishment, it is pure and simply separation from God. This presents God with a dilemma, for by his nature justice must prevail, yet by His nature his is also benevolent and would not want the existence of the separation to continue. Thus the crucifixion. God won't punish someone else for your sins, the sins will still be paid for, but the blood would be his own. The one caveat is that we are not forced to accept the solution, or even acknowledge its existence.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 2:25:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM, philochristos wrote:
1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?
2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?
3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?
4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?
5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?
6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?
7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?
8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?
9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?
10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?
11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?
12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?

You already know the answer and it's yes.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:18:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 1:53:41 AM, Smithereens wrote:
hello.
is it an accurate understanding for Christians to believe everyone deserves to be punished for being born into sin and the only redeemable aspect of their life is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ?

Within christian theology are multiple views on this issue. Catholics believe that we are born in sin, Most non-Catholics do not. Sin however is not a genetic thing. A baby has no moral capacity for determining right from wrong, thus no punishment is deserved by it. When a person knowingly makes a morally reproachable decision out of free-will however, they bear the guilt for their actions. This is sin, and its what separates man from God. The existence of hell is not for the sole purpose of punishment, it is pure and simply separation from God. This presents God with a dilemma, for by his nature justice must prevail, yet by His nature his is also benevolent and would not want the existence of the separation to continue. Thus the crucifixion. God won't punish someone else for your sins, the sins will still be paid for, but the blood would be his own. The one caveat is that we are not forced to accept the solution, or even acknowledge its existence.

thank you for your thoughtful reply.
so then the only redeemable quality about a person is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ based on belief since it is the belief that will keep them from hell, or being separated from God, is that right?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
violetviolin
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:32:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 10:45:44 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

Why should I accept Biblical evidence.

Often times people have difficulty accepting the Bible because they feel that it conflicts with scientific and historical evidence. If you have any questions about specific conflicts that you see, please feel free to post them/message me. Here are a few links that you can read that show proof of the Bible's conformity to what humans have proved through science:
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...
http://www.6000years.org...
Often times people also find the Bible difficult to believe because they feel that it is inconsistent or unauthentic. These links explain why this is untrue.
http://www.essentialbibleblog.com...
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com...

If you have any more questions please post them or message me, and I will try to get back to them as soon as possible. If any of the information provided in the links confuses you, I would be more than happy to help explain it, or find new websites for you to look at. I'm sorry I was not able to go into more depth, there is so much on this topic, that I could barely scratch the surface, but I want to get to as many questions as possible so I just wanted to start with the basics, and see if this can answer your questions.
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:37:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 8:32:42 PM, violetviolin wrote:
At 4/6/2014 10:45:44 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

Why should I accept Biblical evidence.

Often times people have difficulty accepting the Bible because they feel that it conflicts with scientific and historical evidence. If you have any questions about specific conflicts that you see, please feel free to post them/message me. Here are a few links that you can read that show proof of the Bible's conformity to what humans have proved through science:
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...
http://www.6000years.org...
Often times people also find the Bible difficult to believe because they feel that it is inconsistent or unauthentic. These links explain why this is untrue.
http://www.essentialbibleblog.com...
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com...

If you have any more questions please post them or message me, and I will try to get back to them as soon as possible. If any of the information provided in the links confuses you, I would be more than happy to help explain it, or find new websites for you to look at. I'm sorry I was not able to go into more depth, there is so much on this topic, that I could barely scratch the surface, but I want to get to as many questions as possible so I just wanted to start with the basics, and see if this can answer your questions.

I did not ask whether the Bible was internally consistent.
0x5f3759df
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:40:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM, philochristos wrote:
1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?
2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?
3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?
4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?
5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?
6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?
7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?
8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?
9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?
10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?
11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?
12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?

Lol, its funny because I know you know the answer to all of these questions. This is more for testing the user in the OP than it is for these questions to be answered for your own sake.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:42:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 8:37:20 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/7/2014 8:32:42 PM, violetviolin wrote:
At 4/6/2014 10:45:44 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know

Why should I accept Biblical evidence.

Often times people have difficulty accepting the Bible because they feel that it conflicts with scientific and historical evidence. If you have any questions about specific conflicts that you see, please feel free to post them/message me. Here are a few links that you can read that show proof of the Bible's conformity to what humans have proved through science:
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...
http://www.6000years.org...
Often times people also find the Bible difficult to believe because they feel that it is inconsistent or unauthentic. These links explain why this is untrue.
http://www.essentialbibleblog.com...
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com...

If you have any more questions please post them or message me, and I will try to get back to them as soon as possible. If any of the information provided in the links confuses you, I would be more than happy to help explain it, or find new websites for you to look at. I'm sorry I was not able to go into more depth, there is so much on this topic, that I could barely scratch the surface, but I want to get to as many questions as possible so I just wanted to start with the basics, and see if this can answer your questions.

I did not ask whether the Bible was internally consistent.

Strictly speaking, violetviolin wasn't talking about internal consistency--but consistency with the external (science). Which still doesn't quite answer your question, but it helps to be precise. And also strictly speaking, those links at the end address it sorta-kinda, at least (Well, the "10 reasons" one, anyway, I didn't click through them all.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:46:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM, philochristos wrote:

I'm going to answer and I want you to tell me how I did.

1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?

Three persons in one God.

2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?

Outside, God is timeless. For him to exist within time is for him to be subject to his own laws.

3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?

Some Christian believe one and some Christian believe the other. The logical Christian will accept the universe as it is and not try to deny science in the name of religion. They will use science to bring about the true context of their beliefs.

4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?

Everybody.

5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?

Physically.

6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?

Depends on domination. I believe in salvation through faith, repentance, and baptism. Works is a way to profess and grow and faith, but works is not necessary for salvation.

7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?

Depends on denomination. Catholics believe in real presence.

8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?

I'm pretty sure moth Christian believe he was the first pope.

9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?

Depends on denomination. Catholics in particular believe in the Bible and tradition, while some denominations believe in the Bible alone.

10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?

I think most Christians believe you can reject salvation, thus losing it. Rejection of salvation comes about through serving sin over God.

11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?

Compatibilism.

12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?

I think like salvation, grace can be rejected.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:57:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Intrepid, the questions were rhetorical. The answer to all of the questions was "both." Except maybe the first, but that's debatable. PopCulturePooka got my point perfectly when he said, "The op won't be able to hive a definitive answer about what Christians believe, unless the op is willing to deny that any self professed christians who disagree with him are actually Christian." Violetviolin makes it sound like any belief held by a "Christian" that is different than her own is a misconception of Christianity and that her view on any question that could possibly come up is THE Christian view. But in reality, Christians differ amongst themselves on a variety of issues, and that's what my questions were meant to illustrate. A person's Christianity is not determined by hold old they think the earth is, whether God is temporal or not, whether they subscribe to sola scriptura or not, or what view of freedom they subscribe to.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 8:58:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 8:57:00 PM, philochristos wrote:
Intrepid, the questions were rhetorical. The answer to all of the questions was "both." Except maybe the first, but that's debatable. PopCulturePooka got my point perfectly when he said, "The op won't be able to hive a definitive answer about what Christians believe, unless the op is willing to deny that any self professed christians who disagree with him are actually Christian." Violetviolin makes it sound like any belief held by a "Christian" that is different than her own is a misconception of Christianity and that her view on any question that could possibly come up is THE Christian view. But in reality, Christians differ amongst themselves on a variety of issues, and that's what my questions were meant to illustrate. A person's Christianity is not determined by hold old they think the earth is, whether God is temporal or not, whether they subscribe to sola scriptura or not, or what view of freedom they subscribe to.

I disagree, some Christians would be universally wrong if they, for example, answered that God sacrificed himself for the sake of an elect as opposed to everybody.

There are some objective things Christians must believe to be Christian, like Jesus being God.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:03:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 8:58:45 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/7/2014 8:57:00 PM, philochristos wrote:
Intrepid, the questions were rhetorical. The answer to all of the questions was "both." Except maybe the first, but that's debatable. PopCulturePooka got my point perfectly when he said, "The op won't be able to hive a definitive answer about what Christians believe, unless the op is willing to deny that any self professed christians who disagree with him are actually Christian." Violetviolin makes it sound like any belief held by a "Christian" that is different than her own is a misconception of Christianity and that her view on any question that could possibly come up is THE Christian view. But in reality, Christians differ amongst themselves on a variety of issues, and that's what my questions were meant to illustrate. A person's Christianity is not determined by hold old they think the earth is, whether God is temporal or not, whether they subscribe to sola scriptura or not, or what view of freedom they subscribe to.

I disagree, some Christians would be universally wrong if they, for example, answered that God sacrificed himself for the sake of an elect as opposed to everybody.

That's a misunderstanding of my point. I grant that some views held by Christians are false. They would have to be. The earth is either 6000 years old, or it is NOT 6000 years old. It can't be both, so somebody must be wrong. But that is beside the point I was making. My point is that there is no difinitive Christian view on the subject. Whether a person believes the earth is 4 billion years old or 6000 years old does not affect whether they are Christians or not.

There are some objective things Christians must believe to be Christian, like Jesus being God.

I agree that are some essential teachings of Christianity such that if a person doesn't believe them, then they're not a Christian, since some teachings are definitional to Christianity. Obviously, if you deny that Jesus is the Christ, for example, then you're not a Christian. But my point is that besides these essential teachings of Christianity, there are many issues that Christians disagree about amongst themselves.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:11:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Philo: "I agree that are some essential teachings of Christianity such that if a person doesn't believe them, then they're not a Christian, since some teachings are definitional to Christianity. Obviously, if you deny that Jesus is the Christ, for example, then you're not a Christian. But my point is that besides these essential teachings of Christianity, there are many issues that Christians disagree about amongst themselves."

Anna: There are many issues about which Christians may disagree. I would call these "nonessentials". Some of them are matters of opinion.

He had said, "There are some objective things Christians must believe to be Christian, like Jesus being God."

In your answer, you changed it to "Jesus is the Christ".

Even Jehovah's Witness will say, "Yes, Jesus is the Christ" - but they will not affirm that Jesus is God.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:13:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:11:56 PM, annanicole wrote:

He had said, "There are some objective things Christians must believe to be Christian, like Jesus being God."

In your answer, you changed it to "Jesus is the Christ".

I didn't change what he said. I was just giving a different example to say that I agree with him there are some essential teachings of Christianity.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
annanicole
Posts: 19,792
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:15:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:13:27 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/7/2014 9:11:56 PM, annanicole wrote:

He had said, "There are some objective things Christians must believe to be Christian, like Jesus being God."

In your answer, you changed it to "Jesus is the Christ".

I didn't change what he said. I was just giving a different example to say that I agree with him there are some essential teachings of Christianity.

Then I will ask, for clarification, must a person believe that Jesus was and is God in order to be properly called a Christian?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:17:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:15:39 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 4/7/2014 9:13:27 PM, philochristos wrote:

I didn't change what he said. I was just giving a different example to say that I agree with him there are some essential teachings of Christianity.

Then I will ask, for clarification, must a person believe that Jesus was and is God in order to be properly called a Christian?

Yes, I think so, but I don't feel as strongly about that as I do about Jesus being the Christ. That's why I used the different example--one that even less controversial.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
violetviolin
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:21:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:22:43 PM, philochristos wrote:
1. Do Christians believe that God is one person or three?
2. Do Christians believe that God exists in time or outside of time?
3. Do Christians believe the universe is billions of years old or just 6000 years old?
4. Do Christians believe Jesus died for everybody or just the elect?
5. Do Christians believe Jesus rose physically from the dead or non-physically?
6. Do Christians believe salvation is through faith alone or faith plus something else?
7. Do Christians believe Christ is really present in the eucharist or that it's just a symbol?
8. Do Christians believe Peter was the first pope or not?
9. Do Christians believe the scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith, or do they believe that the Traditions preserved by the Church carry equal authority?
10. Do Christians believe you can lose your salvation or that you can't lose your salvation?
11. Do Christians believe we have libertarian free will, or do they believe in some form of compatibilism?
12. Do Christians believe grace is resistible or irresistible?

1.) Christians believe that God is one person, but that he takes on three forms; God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. This is known as the trinity. Christians believe that God is omniscient and omnipresent, and all powerful, which is why we believe that he is able to take on all of these forms at once. So Jesus really was God, but he was also God's son. These websites hopefully will help you to understand this better, as I know that I may not have explained this as clearly as you would have liked:
http://christianity.net.au...
http://www.answersingenesis.org...

2.) Christians believe that God came before time, and that he created time, so both in a sense. Also, the Bible talks about time in heaven, but it is not necessarily the same as time on Earth:
http://www.openbible.info...

3.) This really depends on who you ask. The main idea that is the same for all Christians is that God created the Earth, some Christians take the time period of Creation to be literal, others take it to be metaphorical. One site that talks about 6000 years is:
http://www.6000years.org...

4.) Christians believe that Jesus died for everybody. We believe that as God created all of us, he loves all of us equally. We all have the chance to be saved by God, we just have to accept his gift as free. We don't believe that God only died for those that we perceive to be "good people". In fact, as Jesus was dyeing on the cross, he said to the criminal that was next to him, that he would see him in heaven. Jesus also brought many people who society rejected (tax collectors, prostitutes) to salvation and forgiveness, showing that he died to save us, because he loves us all equally no matter what we have done in the past and who we are.

5.) Christians believe that Jesus physically rose from the dead. after he rose, it talks about the disciples touching his wounds because they were so shocked. This shows that he physically did rise from the dead. We believe that God is all powerful, and as he created life, we believe that only he has the power to conquer death.

6.) A few church denominations believe other wise, but the majority of christians and the Bible support that salvation is through faith alone. This means accepting that you cannot get to heaven by living a good life, because as humans we are all imperfect, and that we must accept God's free gift of salvation in order to go to heaven. God likes us to live good lives, and if someone has accepted God, we believe he will gain the Holy Spirit, which will help him/her in this task, but we don't believe that this is how you get to heaven.
Ephesians 2:8-9 explains this:
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
This explains that we have been saved by God's grace, a free gift that we must accept, and that nothing we do can be enough to get us into heaven, and nothing we have done will keep us out.

7.) I think this really depends on who you talk to , as this is not based off of the Bible. I don't believe this, but I know others who do. I will look into this and message you whe I find information. I don't know about this off of the top of my head though, as my church denomination believes that it is just a symbol meant to remind us of God's grace and love.

8.) I'm not Catholic, so I really don't know anything abut the history of popes.

9.) The Bible says nothing about the traditions of the Church carrying any authority, let alone equal authority to the scripture. The traditions can be nice to remind us of what God has done for us, but we can't get so stuck in them that we forget what God has told us in the Bible, as sometimes happens in Church when we do value traditions equal to the scripture. We believe that God gave us the Bible so that we could understand all he had to say to us, and that it is infallibly true, so it will always come before traditions of the Church. The church is also just a body or group of believers, so it is not at an equal level to what God has told us in the scripture, as it is made up of humans, and we believe that the Bible is the word of God.

10.) Christians believe that once you truly accept God and salvation, that you will never loose it, and if you stray from this, once you truly have the Holy Spirit in your heart, that he will bring you back to God.

11.) Christians mostly believe in free will. We believe that god gives us the freedom to make whatever choices we want because he loves us and wants us to love him and the only way to achieve true love is through freedom of choice. this is also how we explain the presence of sin in our world.

12.) Most Christians believe that grace is resistable, as we also believe that we have freedom of choice, and that God's grace and salvation is extended to everyone equally. God will make sure that everyone has the opportunity to accept the gift of salvation, even if they've never heard of christianity. For example, God says that he is evident in nature, so even if you've never had the opportunity to hear about, or know God, you could come to know him through this. It's a very debated topic though, and I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable on it. If you have more specific questions, I may be able to answer those more easily, but if you want to learn more about each of these, this site is good:
http://www.theopedia.com...
http://www.theopedia.com...

If this confused you or you still have questions, please post them or message me. I would be happy to have a more personal discussion with you to help you understand what Christians believe, as it is difficult to cover everything in a forum.
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:24:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:03:19 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/7/2014 8:58:45 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/7/2014 8:57:00 PM, philochristos wrote:
Intrepid, the questions were rhetorical. The answer to all of the questions was "both." Except maybe the first, but that's debatable. PopCulturePooka got my point perfectly when he said, "The op won't be able to hive a definitive answer about what Christians believe, unless the op is willing to deny that any self professed christians who disagree with him are actually Christian." Violetviolin makes it sound like any belief held by a "Christian" that is different than her own is a misconception of Christianity and that her view on any question that could possibly come up is THE Christian view. But in reality, Christians differ amongst themselves on a variety of issues, and that's what my questions were meant to illustrate. A person's Christianity is not determined by hold old they think the earth is, whether God is temporal or not, whether they subscribe to sola scriptura or not, or what view of freedom they subscribe to.

I disagree, some Christians would be universally wrong if they, for example, answered that God sacrificed himself for the sake of an elect as opposed to everybody.

That's a misunderstanding of my point. I grant that some views held by Christians are false. They would have to be. The earth is either 6000 years old, or it is NOT 6000 years old. It can't be both, so somebody must be wrong. But that is beside the point I was making. My point is that there is no difinitive Christian view on the subject. Whether a person believes the earth is 4 billion years old or 6000 years old does not affect whether they are Christians or not.

There are some objective things Christians must believe to be Christian, like Jesus being God.

I agree that are some essential teachings of Christianity such that if a person doesn't believe them, then they're not a Christian, since some teachings are definitional to Christianity. Obviously, if you deny that Jesus is the Christ, for example, then you're not a Christian. But my point is that besides these essential teachings of Christianity, there are many issues that Christians disagree about amongst themselves.

Alright, I understand your point and agree.
violetviolin
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:26:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/6/2014 11:34:00 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 4/6/2014 10:38:44 PM, violetviolin wrote:
As I've read through a lot of the posts and debates that people have made about Christianity I've noticed that often times they don't really understand the religion, and are just making assumptions based off of what they've heard Christians believe. As a strong believer, this does bother me as it is a misrepresentation of my faith and leads to the bad ideas that people have about Christianity. I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session. The point f this is not to debate whether or not Christianity is or isn't right, but to understand what it is that Christians believe and why they believe it. Even if you strongly disagree with Christianity you can use this to become more educated abut why you disagree with it, because knowledge is always a powerful thing.

*I accidentally posted this in the wrong section at first so this is the second of this forum. I'm not going to go onto the original, just so you know


"I felt like it would be good to offer a way for people to ask questions abut religion, so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them with biblical evidence if you want. Just don't turn this into a debate, try to keep it a question and answer session."

In other words, you want people to ask you a question about Christianity. Then you will proceed to answer it correctly. Then you move on to the next question, and nobody questions your answer. We have a spot in Vatican City for you. If you prefer an American locale, perchance the WatchTower has an opening.

I'm sorry you don't like how I've formatted this. This forum was not created as a place to debate, but simply as a place to gain a better understanding of Christianity, which will be confusing if people are going back ad forth. It would not be fair to those that just want their questions answered if we tried to debate when they were just asking a simple question in hopes of an explanation and evidence. If you would like to debate these, that is great and I would be more than happy to debate any of this in a separate forum, but that is not what the point of this is, so I am going to ask you to refrain from debating on this particular forum. You can start a separate forum o any of these topics though, and post that it exists on this forum, so that you can debate these topics, but I would prefer that this forum would not become a debate.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:42:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:21:18 PM, violetviolin wrote:

1.) Christians believe that God is one person, but that he takes on three forms; God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. This is known as the trinity.

No, that's known as modalism. According to the doctrine of the Trinity, God is three persons.

4.) Christians believe that Jesus died for everybody.

If that's true, then Calvinists are not Christians.

10.) Christians believe that once you truly accept God and salvation, that you will never loose it, and if you stray from this, once you truly have the Holy Spirit in your heart, that he will bring you back to God.

If that's true, then classic Arminians are not Christians.

If this confused you or you still have questions, please post them or message me. I would be happy to have a more personal discussion with you to help you understand what Christians believe, as it is difficult to cover everything in a forum.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions, but they weren't genuine questions. I was just making a rhetorical point.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:56:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 8:18:37 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/7/2014 1:53:41 AM, Smithereens wrote:
hello.
is it an accurate understanding for Christians to believe everyone deserves to be punished for being born into sin and the only redeemable aspect of their life is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ?

Within christian theology are multiple views on this issue. Catholics believe that we are born in sin, Most non-Catholics do not. Sin however is not a genetic thing. A baby has no moral capacity for determining right from wrong, thus no punishment is deserved by it. When a person knowingly makes a morally reproachable decision out of free-will however, they bear the guilt for their actions. This is sin, and its what separates man from God. The existence of hell is not for the sole purpose of punishment, it is pure and simply separation from God. This presents God with a dilemma, for by his nature justice must prevail, yet by His nature his is also benevolent and would not want the existence of the separation to continue. Thus the crucifixion. God won't punish someone else for your sins, the sins will still be paid for, but the blood would be his own. The one caveat is that we are not forced to accept the solution, or even acknowledge its existence.

thank you for your thoughtful reply.
so then the only redeemable quality about a person is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ based on belief since it is the belief that will keep them from hell, or being separated from God, is that right?

The 'redeemable quality' is not a quality of the individual. To be saved, faith is certainly a necessary prerequisite, as with the cessation of the sinful lifestyle.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
violetviolin
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 9:58:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:42:28 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/7/2014 9:21:18 PM, violetviolin wrote:

1.) Christians believe that God is one person, but that he takes on three forms; God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. This is known as the trinity.

No, that's known as modalism. According to the doctrine of the Trinity, God is three persons.

4.) Christians believe that Jesus died for everybody.

If that's true, then Calvinists are not Christians.

10.) Christians believe that once you truly accept God and salvation, that you will never loose it, and if you stray from this, once you truly have the Holy Spirit in your heart, that he will bring you back to God.

If that's true, then classic Arminians are not Christians.

If this confused you or you still have questions, please post them or message me. I would be happy to have a more personal discussion with you to help you understand what Christians believe, as it is difficult to cover everything in a forum.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions, but they weren't genuine questions. I was just making a rhetorical point.

I understand that n some points, my views may differ from other Christians. All of my views are backed by scripture however, at the same time though, I understand that other people's differing views are often based in scripture as well. I am still growing and learning in my faith, but I do believe that while there are many beliefs that are fundamental and indisputable about the Christian faith, there are others that while important, are not essential to understanding Christianity and obtaining salvation, such as the ones that you pointed out. Could you please explain what Calvinists believe, because I have never heard the idea that Christ did not die for everyone.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:01:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/7/2014 9:56:36 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 4/7/2014 8:18:37 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/7/2014 1:53:41 AM, Smithereens wrote:
hello.
is it an accurate understanding for Christians to believe everyone deserves to be punished for being born into sin and the only redeemable aspect of their life is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ?

Within christian theology are multiple views on this issue. Catholics believe that we are born in sin, Most non-Catholics do not. Sin however is not a genetic thing. A baby has no moral capacity for determining right from wrong, thus no punishment is deserved by it. When a person knowingly makes a morally reproachable decision out of free-will however, they bear the guilt for their actions. This is sin, and its what separates man from God. The existence of hell is not for the sole purpose of punishment, it is pure and simply separation from God. This presents God with a dilemma, for by his nature justice must prevail, yet by His nature his is also benevolent and would not want the existence of the separation to continue. Thus the crucifixion. God won't punish someone else for your sins, the sins will still be paid for, but the blood would be his own. The one caveat is that we are not forced to accept the solution, or even acknowledge its existence.

thank you for your thoughtful reply.
so then the only redeemable quality about a person is their belief in the saving grace of jesus christ based on belief since it is the belief that will keep them from hell, or being separated from God, is that right?

The 'redeemable quality' is not a quality of the individual. To be saved, faith is certainly a necessary prerequisite, as with the cessation of the sinful lifestyle.

are you saying the only quality of an individual is being a sinful vessel and the only redeemable factor of an individual is their faith , thusly the only meaningful thing about the individual is Jesus...so does that mean Jesus died for himself?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.