Jump to topic:

Are all gods man made?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:28:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Man has been inventing gods and religion for as long as he has existed (let's be kind to the believers and say 200K yrs).

Millions of gods and millions of religions all created by men and yet the one you believe in wasn't created by men, it's real.

What are the chances?

Is there as much chance that the universe could have just come into existence from a singularity or something?

Is there as much chance that chemicals could have joined together and made life?

I mean every believer on the planet KNOWS that every god except his/hers is man made every single one of them KNOWS that their god is real and yours is false, just like you KNOW the reverse.

Just how unlikely is it that your god out of the millions of gods is real?

Pretty unlikely I reckon.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:37:18 AM
At 4/7/2014 10:28:11 AM, bulproof wrote:
Man has been inventing gods and religion for as long as he has existed (let's be kind to the believers and say 200K yrs).

Millions of gods and millions of religions all created by men and yet the one you believe in wasn't created by men, it's real.

What are the chances?

I think this is the wrong way of looking at it. Imagine if I said, "Kids have been doing math for hundreds of years, and whenever the question, "What is six times three?" comes up, there are a variety of answers given. In the last hundred years, there have been at least a dozen different answers that kids give to this question. What are the chances that the one answer you believe in is the correct one?

The problem with that kind of reason is that it assumes that each answer is equally viable, equally grounded, equally plausible, etc. They're not. The only correct answer is eighteen, and all others are false. Kids arrive at them because they make mistakes.

The same thing is true of gods. Not all gods are created equal. If a person has a good argument for their particular god, and there are not equally good arguments for other gods, then that person is justified in believing his god and not believing others.

I would like to see an argument for Athena that commands the same sort of attention from philosophers as arguments from cosmology, arguments from morality, arguments from apparent design, or arguments from contingency. I don't think they exist.

And some Hindus believe God is both personal and not-personal, which is a blatant contradiction. No such God is even possible.

So I don't think you can simply look at the number of gods out there and treat belief in the correct god as if it were like winning the lottery.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:45:53 AM
At 4/7/2014 10:37:18 AM, philochristos wrote:

What are the chances?

I think this is the wrong way of looking at it. Imagine if I said, "Kids have been doing math for hundreds of years, and whenever the question, "What is six times three?" comes up, there are a variety of answers given. In the last hundred years, there have been at least a dozen different answers that kids give to this question. What are the chances that the one answer you believe in is the correct one?

The problem with that kind of reason is that it assumes that each answer is equally viable, equally grounded, equally plausible, etc. They're not. The only correct answer is eighteen, and all others are false. Kids arrive at them because they make mistakes.

The same thing is true of gods. Not all gods are created equal. If a person has a good argument for their particular god, and there are not equally good arguments for other gods, then that person is justified in believing his god and not believing others.

I would like to see an argument for Athena that commands the same sort of attention from philosophers as arguments from cosmology, arguments from morality, arguments from apparent design, or arguments from contingency. I don't think they exist.

And some Hindus believe God is both personal and not-personal, which is a blatant contradiction. No such God is even possible.

So I don't think you can simply look at the number of gods out there and treat belief in the correct god as if it were like winning the lottery.

But we know that it is and according to most believers it depends on where they are born and to whom they are born.

Can 4.5billion believers be wrong about the christian god? Or a far far greater number be wrong about the Jewish god? Or the gods of the Aztecs?

Just because someone claims that their god created everything, as many do, doesn't mean their claim has anymore validity than the next claimant.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:49:24 AM
Oh and most christians claim that their god is all loving, in fact is love, and also believe that he killed every living thing on the planet in a fit of pique. Sans a few.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 10:55:46 AM
At 4/7/2014 10:45:53 AM, bulproof wrote:

But we know that it is and according to most believers it depends on where they are born and to whom they are born.

I just gave you an argument for why belief in the correct god is not like winning the lottery, and your response is "But we know that it is." I don't know that it is, and I just gave an argument for why. You're not really responding to my argument.

Most of our beliefs are a product of what we have been exposed to. That doesn't make our beliefs arbitrary or on equal footing with everybody who believes differently. Quite the opposite. If I believe the earth is round because I happen to be born at a time in man's history when he has discovered the earth is round and has good reasons for believing it, and somebody believes the earth is flat because he was born at a time and place where information about the roundness of the earth hasn't reach, that doesn't mean one person's belief is on equal footing with the other person's. You have to look at what it is about when and where a person is born that causes them to have the belief they do.

Can 4.5billion believers be wrong about the christian god?

Sure, why not?

Or a far far greater number be wrong about the Jewish god? Or the gods of the Aztecs?

What do numbers have to do with anything? You seem to be ignoring my argument.

Just because someone claims that their god created everything, as many do, doesn't mean their claim has anymore validity than the next claimant.

I agree. But a person who claims that a contradictory god exists is obviously in worse shape than a person who claims that a non-contradictory god exists.

Look at it this way. You and I are having a disagreement, right? You think belief in "the one correct God" is like winning the lottery, and I think it is not like winning the lottery. So between you and I, there are two opposite beliefs. Does that mean there's a 50% chance that you are right, and a 50% chance that I'm right? Of course not! Whether either of us is right depends on the strength of our arguments.

In the same way, if there are better reasons to believe in one god than there are to believe in a different god, then the one god is more reasonable to believe in than the other god. You are acting as if it's all about numbers, and if there are a million gods, then each god has a one in a million chance of being the correct god. That's just faulty reasoning.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2014 11:00:57 AM
Bulproof, the more sophisticated answer is to say that many people had a different concept of god but in the final analysis they were all the same god. And then, if there were so many concepts of different gods, would that not lead one to think that there had to be a god?

But alas, most Christians aren't accepting of that sort of concept that is generous and non-discriminatory. However, once the idea is planted in some of their minds, they will jump at the suggestion out of sheer desperation to save their god illusions.

Neutral is one of the best at inventing new theories or at least bringing the theories he reads to this forum. Some of the others you'll recognize too.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 1:32:51 AM
At 4/7/2014 10:55:46 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/7/2014 10:45:53 AM, bulproof wrote:

I just gave you an argument for why belief in the correct god is not like winning the lottery, and your response is "But we know that it is." I don't know that it is, and I just gave an argument for why. You're not really responding to my argument.

Most of our beliefs are a product of what we have been exposed to. That doesn't make our beliefs arbitrary or on equal footing with everybody who believes differently. Quite the opposite. If I believe the earth is round because I happen to be born at a time in man's history when he has discovered the earth is round and has good reasons for believing it, and somebody believes the earth is flat because he was born at a time and place where information about the roundness of the earth hasn't reach, that doesn't mean one person's belief is on equal footing with the other person's. You have to look at what it is about when and where a person is born that causes them to have the belief they do.

Can 4.5billion believers be wrong about the christian god?

Sure, why not?

Or a far far greater number be wrong about the Jewish god? Or the gods of the Aztecs?

What do numbers have to do with anything? You seem to be ignoring my argument.

I agree. But a person who claims that a contradictory god exists is obviously in worse shape than a person who claims that a non-contradictory god exists.

Look at it this way. You and I are having a disagreement, right? You think belief in "the one correct God" is like winning the lottery, and I think it is not like winning the lottery. So between you and I, there are two opposite beliefs. Does that mean there's a 50% chance that you are right, and a 50% chance that I'm right? Of course not! Whether either of us is right depends on the strength of our arguments.

In the same way, if there are better reasons to believe in one god than there are to believe in a different god, then the one god is more reasonable to believe in than the other god. You are acting as if it's all about numbers, and if there are a million gods, then each god has a one in a million chance of being the correct god. That's just faulty reasoning.

You agree that man has created many gods and religions, both before and after your god and religion came on the scene?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 5:53:18 PM
At 4/8/2014 1:32:51 AM, bulproof wrote:

You agree that man has created many gods and religions, both before and after your god and religion came on the scene?

First off let me say, I am not agreeing with you or disagreeing with you, but in the interest of keeping this thread moving - What makes you think the Christian god is man made?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:25:21 PM
At 4/9/2014 5:53:18 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

First off let me say, I am not agreeing with you or disagreeing with you, but in the interest of keeping this thread moving - What makes you think the Christian god is man made?

because the bible was written by people lol
jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:29:34 PM

What are the chances?

It's not as straight foward as math or science you can't test god/religion with an equation, it's much more ambiguous. I don't really think there is any evidence to support any god. It's like one person claims aliens are from pluto and another person claims aliens are from venus, in reality neither is more right than the other b/c there is no evidence to suggest their is life on either planet.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:31:11 PM
At 4/9/2014 6:25:21 PM, jkerr3 wrote:

I'm not defending, but this argument seems easily sidestepped. Theists will simply say the people who wrote the Bible were inspired by God. Got anything else?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:35:26 PM

What are the chances?

It's not as straight foward as math or science you can't test god/religion with an equation, it's much more ambiguous. I don't really think there is any evidence to support any god. It's like one person claims aliens are from pluto and another person claims aliens are from venus, in reality neither is more right than the other b/c there is no evidence to suggest their is life on either planet.

As for the hindu god being contradictory I would have to disagree with your example. god could theoretically make decision on both a personal and non-personal basis. For example if you have cancer and god heals you that is a personal act. Where as if god was to fix global warming it is non personal b/c it affects everyone.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:37:41 PM
At 4/9/2014 6:31:11 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I'm not defending, but this argument seems easily sidestepped. Theists will simply say the people who wrote the Bible were inspired by God. Got anything else?

i suppose the best way to refute that is to ask them what criteria they use to determine that...obviously they will rely on circular reasoning...as there is no criteria other than their own wishful thinking i.e. faith that would support such a claim...and everyone can recognize the ridiculousness in that.
what i normally present when faced with that logical fallacy i tell them, in order to be taken seriously they need to provide empirical evidence as their claim involves representing an all encompassing authority over me, therefore i have every right to request that sort of evidence
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:38:52 PM

But theists have no evidence to prove that the people where inspired by god so it is a moot argument for them to make. For all we know the person who wrote the bible was schizophrenic and thought he was hearing the voice of god but in reality he was just crazy.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:39:09 PM
At 4/9/2014 6:35:26 PM, jkerr3 wrote:

As for the hindu god being contradictory I would have to disagree with your example. god could theoretically make decision on both a personal and non-personal basis. For example if you have cancer and god heals you that is a personal act. Where as if god was to fix global warming it is non personal b/c it affects everyone.

That's a misunderstanding of what I meant by "personal." I don't mean personal in the sense of being personally involved with us. I mean personal in the sense of being a person.

jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 6:43:20 PM
At 4/9/2014 6:39:09 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/9/2014 6:35:26 PM, jkerr3 wrote:

That's a misunderstanding of what I meant by "personal." I don't mean personal in the sense of being personally involved with us. I mean personal in the sense of being a person.

Well the same could apply to the bible, god is jesus but god is also the holy spirit at the same time..... there are plenty of contradictions in every religion, although I suppose some might have more than others.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 7:12:20 PM
At 4/9/2014 6:38:52 PM, jkerr3 wrote:

But theists have no evidence to prove that the people where inspired by god so it is a moot argument for them to make. For all we know the person who wrote the bible was schizophrenic and thought he was hearing the voice of god but in reality he was just crazy.

Well, now your just being malicious, which was not my desire. Besides, you have no evidence to prove the authors were not inspired by the Christian god. Plus, more than 40 people wrote the Bible, so are they all schizophrenic? Keep in mind, I am only playing devil's advocate here so no need to be harsh to the theists!

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 7:16:07 PM
At 4/9/2014 6:37:41 PM, perplexed wrote:

i suppose the best way to refute that is to ask them what criteria they use to determine that...obviously they will rely on circular reasoning...as there is no criteria other than their own wishful thinking i.e. faith that would support such a claim...and everyone can recognize the ridiculousness in that.

Well not everyone, or it would not be an argument!

what i normally present when faced with that logical fallacy i tell them, in order to be taken seriously they need to provide empirical evidence as their claim involves representing an all encompassing authority over me, therefore i have every right to request that sort of evidence

Good point, but what kind of evidence would satisfy this for you?

jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 8:03:10 PM
At 4/9/2014 7:12:20 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/9/2014 6:38:52 PM, jkerr3 wrote:

Well, now your just being malicious, which was not my desire. Besides, you have no evidence to prove the authors were not inspired by the Christian god. Plus, more than 40 people wrote the Bible, so are they all schizophrenic? Keep in mind, I am only playing devil's advocate here so no need to be harsh to the theists!

How am I being malicious? I'm just being frank is all, I don't like sugar coating things. I don't have to prove anything "christians" are the ones claiming god inspired the bible, ok prove it then. It's just like if someone claims I stole their car, they have to present some kind of evidence suggesting it was me that did it otherwise it's just an arbitrary accusation and I don't even have to acknowledge them. No judge would even allow such a trial in their courtroom w/o the plaintiff presenting at least a basic form of evidence.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 8:40:02 PM
At 4/9/2014 7:16:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/9/2014 6:37:41 PM, perplexed wrote:

Well not everyone, or it would not be an argument!

it's an argument because everyone rational person recognizes gullibility is not a good thing and their appeal to faith is an appeal to gullibility ...it's no wonder why they take it personal a lot of the time...

Good point, but what kind of evidence would satisfy this for you?
empirical evidence...but we know that can't happen...which is why the appeal to faith is
nonsensical...and of course it's because the foolish doubter (an oxymoron no less) doesn't WANT to understand...now THAT one is a doosie....
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 11:45:58 PM

You are asking a different question.

Let's have your answer to my question first, ok?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 11:54:46 PM
At 4/9/2014 11:45:58 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yes,of course. All gods are made up to explain what man can not (could not) comprehend.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 12:04:04 AM
At 4/9/2014 11:54:46 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Yes,of course. All gods are made up to explain what man can not (could not) comprehend.

Thank you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:48:49 AM
At 4/9/2014 11:54:46 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Does anyone else agree that man has created god's for as long as man has had the intellectual capacity to do so?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:29:28 PM
What if we look at it another way?

Perhaps we haven't created a bunch of different gods but rather have been in tune with or in the presence of a singular god. Since we are mortal beings who can't possibly understand a god on a gods level perhaps we have just been misinterpreting a single god.

So many people over so many years have been claiming things about god(s) because there is a god.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:40:51 PM
At 4/10/2014 2:29:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
What if we look at it another way?

Perhaps we haven't created a bunch of different gods but rather have been in tune with or in the presence of a singular god. Since we are mortal beings who can't possibly understand a god on a gods level perhaps we have just been misinterpreting a single god.

So many people over so many years have been claiming things about god(s) because there is a god.

I suppose that is a possibility, but it seems unlikely since many of the gods are contradictory in their nature. For instance, some gods require human sacrifice (Aztecs) or simply sacrifice of animals (Greeks, Judaism), while others believe killing any animal would be a sin (Hinduism). If this is the same god, then the level of communication from deity to man is extremely poor.

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:42:22 PM
Notice how Bulshit's assumption that all gods are man-made rests on the assumption that all Scriptures ever written are false.

Can the gay-theists here show me the evidence that all the scriptures of the major world religions are false?

Or is it perhaps something you merely take on faith?