Total Posts:289|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christianity and Sociopathy

perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
the story of jesus as treating the canaanite woman, whoso happen to BELIEVE he was
"Lord, Son of David" was pleading for jesus to heal her sick child. by comparing her to a dog, speaks volumes about his racism and elitist tribalistic traits...but to jesus' defense...that was the way of the world during his time (or at least that was the way of the world when these stories were circulating)
yes jesus did heal her child, ONLY because she conceded to being in an inferior tribe compared to his..now would you demean a person you wanted to help in order for you to help them...i would guess not...so why does jesus get a pass, why is this horrible treatment of a BELIEVER excused?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog.
which makes sense since this story comes from a gospel that was intended for a jewish audience, and this audience thought themselves to be the chosen tribe...the favorable tribe...the tribe that used their god as a justification to conquer canaan, just because their god said so.
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers wretched wicked evil and of the dark simply because they are unbelievers...
now by todays standard, judging people by what they believe or not not believe is a rather barbaric way of seeing people...
we judge people by what they do, and if the basic tenant of the christian faith is that the believer was wretched before becoming a believer...as we are all born into this wretched inclination, then christianity is sanctioning sociopathy...an anti social personality disorder
which is described as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
how in the world did DOMA gain traction, how is it that hobby lobby has the gull to call out the religious freedom card KNOWING their employees are not christian, or that their clients are not christian in a time that already recognizes unwarranted discrimination to be illegal...
why does the religious freedom card get a pass?
religious beliefs are ONLY OPINIONS...nothing else but are regarded as sacred
why? since we can trace discriminatory acts against human beings in the name of religious freedom...
this country is defending sociopathy when it defends opinions based on old ideologies that were formed at a time when tribalism was the law of the land

is that where we want to go...?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
PureX
Posts: 1,533
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 12:34:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Try to keep in mind that most Christians are not bigots. Or at least not any more bigoted than non-Christians. There is bigotry in the Bible, but the Bible is not Christ, and it is not Christianity. It's just a part of the religion.

The truth is that most people believe as they do about God because those beliefs align with how they think and feel about life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a loving and forgiving God. And this is true whether one calls themselves a Christian or not. The bigots would just find some other ideology to rationalize and justify their bigotry if they couldn't find a way to make Christianity do it.

So I think you're wrong in assuming that it's the religion causing the behavior, rather than the other way around.

Just something to consider.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 8:58:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 12:34:30 PM, PureX wrote:
Try to keep in mind that most Christians are not bigots. Or at least not any more bigoted than non-Christians. There is bigotry in the Bible, but the Bible is not Christ, and it is not Christianity. It's just a part of the religion.

The truth is that most people believe as they do about God because those beliefs align with how they think and feel about life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a loving and forgiving God. And this is true whether one calls themselves a Christian or not. The bigots would just find some other ideology to rationalize and justify their bigotry if they couldn't find a way to make Christianity do it.

So I think you're wrong in assuming that it's the religion causing the behavior, rather than the other way around.

Just something to consider.

i was raised by the most gentile mother, very caring very loving....
and i was born bi sexual...mention that and her entire countenance changes and she turns ugly and hateful...she never knew that she was showing me that she hated who i was....which led me down a path way of self hatred and shame.

and i am not the only person this has happened to...

dogma is as dangerous as drunk drivers.
christ can be anything anyone wants him to be...the defender of bigotry or the defender of compassion....but it is real that the idea of christ is a contradiction, therefore meaningless.
this is what happens when religious opinions are regarded as more than an opinion...
NOTHING is beyond scrutiny even the idea of god of jesus or allah....
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
SemperVI
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 10:54:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus blah, blah blah?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog. blah blah blah
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers blah, blah, blah
now by todays standard, judging people blah, blah, blah
we judge people blah, blah, blah an anti blah personality blah
which is described as
"blah blah blah"
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
blah blah blah

blah blah blah...?

What human paradigm has not been synonymous with discrimination?

p.s. blah, blah blah :-) C'mon, I am only trying to put a smile on your face ;-) turn that frown upside down, blah blah, and in summary blah.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 11:11:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 10:54:18 PM, SemperVI wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus blah, blah blah?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog. blah blah blah
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers blah, blah, blah
now by todays standard, judging people blah, blah, blah
we judge people blah, blah, blah an anti blah personality blah
which is described as
"blah blah blah"
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
blah blah blah

blah blah blah...?

What human paradigm has not been synonymous with discrimination?
humanism perhaps?
any claims about being justified by an all encompassing authority is meaningless....

p.s. blah, blah blah :-) C'mon, I am only trying to put a smile on your face ;-) turn that frown upside down, blah blah, and in summary blah.
sorry...i take the marginalization of other human beings too seriously to make light of it
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
SemperVI
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 11:14:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 11:11:18 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:54:18 PM, SemperVI wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus blah, blah blah?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog. blah blah blah
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers blah, blah, blah
now by todays standard, judging people blah, blah, blah
we judge people blah, blah, blah an anti blah personality blah
which is described as
"blah blah blah"
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
blah blah blah

blah blah blah...?

What human paradigm has not been synonymous with discrimination?
humanism perhaps?
any claims about being justified by an all encompassing authority is meaningless....

p.s. blah, blah blah :-) C'mon, I am only trying to put a smile on your face ;-) turn that frown upside down, blah blah, and in summary blah.
sorry...i take the marginalization of other human beings too seriously to make light of it

I'm sorry perplexed, I honestly was not trying to marginalize what you said. I was just getting to the meat of your question while at the same time lightening up the mood of your inquiry.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 11:22:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 11:14:42 PM, SemperVI wrote:
At 4/9/2014 11:11:18 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:54:18 PM, SemperVI wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus blah, blah blah?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog. blah blah blah
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers blah, blah, blah
now by todays standard, judging people blah, blah, blah
we judge people blah, blah, blah an anti blah personality blah
which is described as
"blah blah blah"
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
blah blah blah

blah blah blah...?

What human paradigm has not been synonymous with discrimination?
humanism perhaps?
any claims about being justified by an all encompassing authority is meaningless....

p.s. blah, blah blah :-) C'mon, I am only trying to put a smile on your face ;-) turn that frown upside down, blah blah, and in summary blah.
sorry...i take the marginalization of other human beings too seriously to make light of it

I'm sorry perplexed, I honestly was not trying to marginalize what you said. I was just getting to the meat of your question while at the same time lightening up the mood of your inquiry.

i get it, but i take this very seriously.
this is a very serious matter. a society with broken people will yield a broken society and the high regard society has for religion is the underlining reason there is so much strife because there are people who are too afraid to question peoples religious belief systems...when it's only a matter of opinion...
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
SemperVI
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 12:01:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Okay, then lets be serious for a moment.... In what world do you find it even remotely reasonable to measure the totality of a 2000 year old religious belief, the history of mankind going back before Abrahamic theology and any and all who represent it visa-vi a religious faith you don't believe in , to a 21st century, politically correct, label it & trash it ideology? In all honesty it is very hard to take questions like this serious.

I get it too, a lot of bad stuff happened in the past, a lot of bad stuff happens today. The degree and extent to which they happen is far less today than it was in the past. Does this make your bad stuff any easier to deal with than the bad stuff of the past? Who am I to say, I don't know, I was not there and neither were you. Guess what though, it doesn't matter, humanity is making progress. The past is the past - Get over it. Move on.

So you have been discriminated against. So you have been made to feel ashamed. Life's a b*tch and then we die. I get it. We all have baggage we carry in this life. Blaming this, or blaming that won't help anything or anyone and it certainly won't give you the answers, peace or whatever it is looking for. You have one life to live, don't live it as a victim. You are smarter than that

I've said my peace
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 12:43:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 12:01:15 AM, SemperVI wrote:
Okay, then lets be serious for a moment.... In what world do you find it even remotely reasonable to measure the totality of a 2000 year old religious belief, the history of mankind going back before Abrahamic theology and any and all who represent it visa-vi a religious faith you don't believe in , to a 21st century, politically correct, label it & trash it ideology? In all honesty it is very hard to take questions like this serious.

I get it too, a lot of bad stuff happened in the past, a lot of bad stuff happens today. The degree and extent to which they happen is far less today than it was in the past.
not really. look at the middle east.
the western world has come to a different understanding peoples rights.

Does this make your bad stuff any easier to deal with than the bad stuff of the past? Who am I to say, I don't know, I was not there and neither were you.
i lived it.

Guess what though, it doesn't matter, humanity is making progress. The past is the past - Get over it. Move on.
because in the west people are more prone to question it...consider what MLK said
"There comes a time when silence is betrayal."
it was the age of enlightenment that started this movement...a secular movement no less, a movement that didn't rely on god to justify anything but a movement that recognized everyone is on the same playing field...religion implies god is on one side while those that do not adhere to that god only have themselves...its ridiculous to the core to defend any of that, as i am sure you would agree.

So you have been discriminated against. So you have been made to feel ashamed. Life's a b*tch and then we die. I get it. We all have baggage we carry in this life.
but if we remain complacent our children and their children will go through the same crap...silence is cancer.

;Blaming this, or blaming that won't help anything or anyone and it certainly won't give you the answers, peace or whatever it is looking for.
yes it does...
You have one life to live, don't live it as a victim. You are smarter than that
i'm not, i'm holding religious ideology accountable.

I've said my peace
me too and i will continue to
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
PureX
Posts: 1,533
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 9:37:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 8:58:46 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/9/2014 12:34:30 PM, PureX wrote:
Try to keep in mind that most Christians are not bigots. Or at least not any more bigoted than non-Christians. There is bigotry in the Bible, but the Bible is not Christ, and it is not Christianity. It's just a part of the religion.

The truth is that most people believe as they do about God because those beliefs align with how they think and feel about life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a loving and forgiving God. And this is true whether one calls themselves a Christian or not. The bigots would just find some other ideology to rationalize and justify their bigotry if they couldn't find a way to make Christianity do it.

So I think you're wrong in assuming that it's the religion causing the behavior, rather than the other way around.

Just something to consider.

i was raised by the most gentile mother, very caring very loving....
and i was born bi sexual...mention that and her entire countenance changes and she turns ugly and hateful...she never knew that she was showing me that she hated who i was....which led me down a path way of self hatred and shame.

and i am not the only person this has happened to...

dogma is as dangerous as drunk drivers.
christ can be anything anyone wants him to be...the defender of bigotry or the defender of compassion....but it is real that the idea of christ is a contradiction, therefore meaningless.
this is what happens when religious opinions are regarded as more than an opinion...
NOTHING is beyond scrutiny even the idea of god of jesus or allah....

I am sincerely sorry that this happened to you, but you are assuming that her reaction was due to her religious beliefs. I would submit that her religious beliefs are the product of her visceral reaction to the idea of homosexuality. The reason I think so is that there are millions of Christians who have been taught that homosexuality is evil, but who do not take this teaching to heart. They understand that it is based on just a couple of lines in a book written by human beings who were just as given to bigotry as anyone. And even if they believe it, they still understand that everyone falls short of perfection, and so they don't see the "sin" of homosexuality as being any worse than any other sin. And everyone is guilty of sin.

I have no idea why your mother would have been so viscerally effected by the thought of homosexuality. But that reaction didn't come from the Bible. Or everyone who reads and believes the Bible would have that reaction, and they don't. All I can say about it is that to me and to most people, Christian or otherwise, you are no different from anyone else. And you are certainly no less valued!

"Christ" is actually a very simple ideal. It's the ideal that God's love (divine love), acting within us, and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves. That's it. That's really all there is to it. Unfortunately, a religion has been created with many variations, based on this idea but also perverting it to better suit those who are empowered by religion. And these religious perversions of the Christ ideal are the product of the flawed hearts and minds that created them. And they still serve our flawed hearts and minds, today.

And again, I am sorry that you have suffered the consequences of these perversions of the Christ ideal. And I'm sorry for your mom, too, for whatever it was that has caused her to react as she does to a simple fact of life.
bulproof
Posts: 25,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 10:00:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 9:37:39 AM, PureX wrote:
At 4/9/2014 8:58:46 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/9/2014 12:34:30 PM, PureX wrote:
Try to keep in mind that most Christians are not bigots. Or at least not any more bigoted than non-Christians. There is bigotry in the Bible, but the Bible is not Christ, and it is not Christianity. It's just a part of the religion.

The truth is that most people believe as they do about God because those beliefs align with how they think and feel about life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a loving and forgiving God. And this is true whether one calls themselves a Christian or not. The bigots would just find some other ideology to rationalize and justify their bigotry if they couldn't find a way to make Christianity do it.

So I think you're wrong in assuming that it's the religion causing the behavior, rather than the other way around.

Just something to consider.

i was raised by the most gentile mother, very caring very loving....
and i was born bi sexual...mention that and her entire countenance changes and she turns ugly and hateful...she never knew that she was showing me that she hated who i was....which led me down a path way of self hatred and shame.

and i am not the only person this has happened to...

dogma is as dangerous as drunk drivers.
christ can be anything anyone wants him to be...the defender of bigotry or the defender of compassion....but it is real that the idea of christ is a contradiction, therefore meaningless.
this is what happens when religious opinions are regarded as more than an opinion...
NOTHING is beyond scrutiny even the idea of god of jesus or allah....

I am sincerely sorry that this happened to you, but you are assuming that her reaction was due to her religious beliefs. I would submit that her religious beliefs are the product of her visceral reaction to the idea of homosexuality. The reason I think so is that there are millions of Christians who have been taught that homosexuality is evil, but who do not take this teaching to heart. They understand that it is based on just a couple of lines in a book written by human beings who were just as given to bigotry as anyone. And even if they believe it, they still understand that everyone falls short of perfection, and so they don't see the "sin" of homosexuality as being any worse than any other sin. And everyone is guilty of sin.

I have no idea why your mother would have been so viscerally effected by the thought of homosexuality. But that reaction didn't come from the Bible. Or everyone who reads and believes the Bible would have that reaction, and they don't. All I can say about it is that to me and to most people, Christian or otherwise, you are no different from anyone else. And you are certainly no less valued!

"Christ" is actually a very simple ideal. It's the ideal that God's love (divine love), acting within us, and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves. That's it. That's really all there is to it. Unfortunately, a religion has been created with many variations, based on this idea but also perverting it to better suit those who are empowered by religion. And these religious perversions of the Christ ideal are the product of the flawed hearts and minds that created them. And they still serve our flawed hearts and minds, today.

And again, I am sorry that you have suffered the consequences of these perversions of the Christ ideal. And I'm sorry for your mom, too, for whatever it was that has caused her to react as she does to a simple fact of life.

You are not homosexual? You don't possess a sibling who is?
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 10:44:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 9:37:39 AM, PureX wrote:
At 4/9/2014 8:58:46 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/9/2014 12:34:30 PM, PureX wrote:
Try to keep in mind that most Christians are not bigots. Or at least not any more bigoted than non-Christians. There is bigotry in the Bible, but the Bible is not Christ, and it is not Christianity. It's just a part of the religion.

The truth is that most people believe as they do about God because those beliefs align with how they think and feel about life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a loving and forgiving God. And this is true whether one calls themselves a Christian or not. The bigots would just find some other ideology to rationalize and justify their bigotry if they couldn't find a way to make Christianity do it.

So I think you're wrong in assuming that it's the religion causing the behavior, rather than the other way around.

Just something to consider.

i was raised by the most gentile mother, very caring very loving....
and i was born bi sexual...mention that and her entire countenance changes and she turns ugly and hateful...she never knew that she was showing me that she hated who i was....which led me down a path way of self hatred and shame.

and i am not the only person this has happened to...

dogma is as dangerous as drunk drivers.
christ can be anything anyone wants him to be...the defender of bigotry or the defender of compassion....but it is real that the idea of christ is a contradiction, therefore meaningless.
this is what happens when religious opinions are regarded as more than an opinion...
NOTHING is beyond scrutiny even the idea of god of jesus or allah....

I am sincerely sorry that this happened to you, but you are assuming that her reaction was due to her religious beliefs. I would submit that her religious beliefs are the product of her visceral reaction to the idea of homosexuality.
nope. her unwarranted bias was justified by her religious belief, god said so.

The reason I think so is that there are millions of Christians who have been taught that homosexuality is evil, but who do not take this teaching to heart. They understand that it is based on just a couple of lines in a book written by human beings who were just as given to bigotry as anyone.

the bible becomes anything anyone wants it to be...and in the case of sexual diversity god sanctions the marginalization and the destruction of such people as we have witnessed throughout history.

And even if they believe it, they still understand that everyone falls short of perfection, and so they don't see the "sin" of homosexuality as being any worse than any other sin. And everyone is guilty of sin.

i gotta take that with a truck load of salt...so DOMA was an illusion?
who pray tell were the main proponents of this hate?


I have no idea why your mother would have been so viscerally effected by the thought of homosexuality. But that reaction didn't come from the Bible.

of course it did...there are several passages in the bible that would justify her disgust of it...but you see that is what you get with 3rd party revelation that is subject to the individuals interpretation....and since there is no such thing as empirical evidence that would establish the bible to mean something...it is thusly rendered meaningless for the sheer fact the bible becomes whatever the individual thinks...it's sort of like expecting the entire world to think your taste in music is the only taste in music everyone should have...since the entire idea behind religious dogma is claiming to be representing an all encompassing authority over everyone.

Or everyone who reads and believes the Bible would have that reaction, and they don't.
some are more empathetic than others....

All I can say about it is that to me and to most people, Christian or otherwise, you are no different from anyone else. And you are certainly no less valued!

not according to 2 cor 6:14 or the parable of the 10 minas or matthew 10

"Christ" is actually a very simple ideal. It's the ideal that God's love (divine love), acting within us, and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves. That's it.

no it isn't...christ ALSO taught tribalism and elitism which contradicts that notion...
THINK...belief is what saves you....unbelief is what condemns you..
that IS NOT love, that is an manipulated ultimatum..create the disease and then offer the cure.

That's really all there is to it. Unfortunately, a religion has been created with many variations, based on this idea but also perverting it to better suit those who are empowered by religion.

the pink elephant in the room is shouting, there are those who do not need religion to better themselves....the control group.

And these religious perversions of the Christ ideal are the product of the flawed hearts and minds that created them. And they still serve our flawed hearts and minds, today.

again that is what you get with 3rd party revelation that is taken as the representation of the supreme beings will without it speaking for itself....empirical evidence is what is needed to settle that once and for all, this appeal to gullibility is just to dangerous as the individual gets to decide what the bible means,

And again, I am sorry that you have suffered the consequences of these perversions of the Christ ideal. And I'm sorry for your mom, too, for whatever it was that has caused her to react as she does to a simple fact of life.
i am more sorry for my husband who has to face an unwarranted insecurity, an innocent bystander.

religious faith is cancer and affects EVERYONE on different levels...get rid of it and you get rid of justifying unwarranted biases

thank you for your post....i hope something i said resonates with you.
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
PureX
Posts: 1,533
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 12:03:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 10:44:18 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 9:37:39 AM, PureX wrote:
I am sincerely sorry that this happened to you, but you are assuming that her reaction was due to her religious beliefs. I would submit that her religious beliefs are the product of her visceral reaction to the idea of homosexuality.
nope. her unwarranted bias was justified by her religious belief, god said so.

"Justified by" is not the same as being "caused by'". That's all I'm saying.

The reason I think so is that there are millions of Christians who have been taught that homosexuality is evil, but who do not take this teaching to heart. They understand that it is based on just a couple of lines in a book written by human beings who were just as given to bigotry as anyone.

the bible becomes anything anyone wants it to be...and in the case of sexual diversity god sanctions the marginalization and the destruction of such people as we have witnessed throughout history.

You're making the same mistake that many of those bigoted Christians make. God did not write the Bible. Men did. And being men, they were prone to bigotry, and to projecting their bigotry into their image of God. Many Christians understand this. And many do not.

And even if they believe it, they still understand that everyone falls short of perfection, and so they don't see the "sin" of homosexuality as being any worse than any other sin. And everyone is guilty of sin.

i gotta take that with a truck load of salt...so DOMA was an illusion?
who pray tell were the main proponents of this hate?

Fear and hate are part of the human condition. We can either seek to overcome it, or we can wallow in it. Christianity didn't invent it. But it can help people to overcome that fear and hate if they want to do so. Unfortunately, it can be used to express that fear and hate, too, if that's what they want.

Religion is just a tool. It's not the hammer's fault if one uses it to build a crooked house.

I have no idea why your mother would have been so viscerally effected by the thought of homosexuality. But that reaction didn't come from the Bible.

of course it did...there are several passages in the bible that would justify her disgust of it...but you see that is what you get with 3rd party revelation that is subject to the individuals interpretation....and since there is no such thing as empirical evidence that would establish the bible to mean something...it is thusly rendered meaningless for the sheer fact the bible becomes whatever the individual thinks...it's sort of like expecting the entire world to think your taste in music is the only taste in music everyone should have...since the entire idea behind religious dogma is claiming to be representing an all encompassing authority over everyone.

Again, I would remind you that "justification of" and "cause of" are not the same things. Are you blaming religion because you don't want to blame your mother?

Or everyone who reads and believes the Bible would have that reaction, and they don't.
some are more empathetic than others".

Exactly.

All I can say about it is that to me and to most people, Christian or otherwise, you are no different from anyone else. And you are certainly no less valued!

not according to 2 cor 6:14 or the parable of the 10 minas or matthew 10

We all choose what we believe to be true. No one controls our minds. When you encounter bigotry, you are encountering a bigot. No one forced them to think and act as they do.

"Christ" is actually a very simple ideal. It's the ideal that God's love (divine love), acting within us, and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves. That's it.

no it isn't...christ ALSO taught tribalism and elitism which contradicts that notion...
THINK...belief is what saves you....unbelief is what condemns you..
that IS NOT love, that is an manipulated ultimatum..create the disease and then offer the cure.

Belief in Christ is the belief that God's love, that exists within us all as we are the reflection of our Creator, will heal us and save us from ourselves. If we will set our own fears and desires aside, and allow that love to rule our hearts and our actions.

The language of scripture is arcane, and has been biased by the theology of the various editors and translators over time. But the essence of the ideal is still there, if you're looking for it, and looking past the bias of time and religion.

But you have to choose to do that. Just as your mother or anyone else has to choose to do that.

That's really all there is to it. Unfortunately, a religion has been created with many variations, based on this idea but also perverting it to better suit those who are empowered by religion.

the pink elephant in the room is shouting, there are those who do not need religion to better themselves....the control group.

God bless them. I guess God has already blessed them.

And these religious perversions of the Christ ideal are the product of the flawed hearts and minds that created them. And they still serve our flawed hearts and minds, today.

again that is what you get with 3rd party revelation that is taken as the representation of the supreme beings will without it speaking for itself....empirical evidence is what is needed to settle that once and for all, this appeal to gullibility is just to dangerous as the individual gets to decide what the bible means,

What you get with 3rd party revelation is freedom of choice. And as we make our choices, we are defining ourselves. It's a great gift, if you think about it. You get to decide who you wish to become by what you believe to have been revealed.

And again, I am sorry that you have suffered the consequences of these perversions of the Christ ideal. And I'm sorry for your mom, too, for whatever it was that has caused her to react as she does to a simple fact of life.

i am more sorry for my husband who has to face an unwarranted insecurity, an innocent bystander.

Yes, but he's in it with you, now. You're troubles are his, and his, yours. I'm sure he's more concerned for you than he is about himself.

religious faith is cancer and affects EVERYONE on different levels...get rid of it and you get rid of justifying unwarranted biases

You also get rid of the method by which a great many people have chosen to work at forgiving others, loving others, forgiving themselves, loving themselves, being kind and tolerant toward strangers, and overcoming all kinds of irrational fears.

thank you for your post....i hope something i said resonates with you.

Ditto! :)
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:21:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus as treating the canaanite woman, whoso happen to BELIEVE he was
"Lord, Son of David" was pleading for jesus to heal her sick child. by comparing her to a dog, speaks volumes about his racism and elitist tribalistic traits...but to jesus' defense...that was the way of the world during his time (or at least that was the way of the world when these stories were circulating)
yes jesus did heal her child, ONLY because she conceded to being in an inferior tribe compared to his..now would you demean a person you wanted to help in order for you to help them...i would guess not...so why does jesus get a pass, why is this horrible treatment of a BELIEVER excused?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog.
which makes sense since this story comes from a gospel that was intended for a jewish audience, and this audience thought themselves to be the chosen tribe...the favorable tribe...the tribe that used their god as a justification to conquer canaan, just because their god said so.
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers wretched wicked evil and of the dark simply because they are unbelievers...
now by todays standard, judging people by what they believe or not not believe is a rather barbaric way of seeing people...
we judge people by what they do, and if the basic tenant of the christian faith is that the believer was wretched before becoming a believer...as we are all born into this wretched inclination, then christianity is sanctioning sociopathy...an anti social personality disorder
which is described as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
how in the world did DOMA gain traction, how is it that hobby lobby has the gull to call out the religious freedom card KNOWING their employees are not christian, or that their clients are not christian in a time that already recognizes unwarranted discrimination to be illegal...
why does the religious freedom card get a pass?
religious beliefs are ONLY OPINIONS...nothing else but are regarded as sacred
why? since we can trace discriminatory acts against human beings in the name of religious freedom...
this country is defending sociopathy when it defends opinions based on old ideologies that were formed at a time when tribalism was the law of the land

is that where we want to go...?

I usually don't say anything here, but I saw "sociopathy" so I decided to check it out to see if you actually knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't.

Like where do I even begin? Okay, I know you're anxious to see where I disagree with you, so I'll just start at the basic point. You ready?

Sociopathy is a mental illness caused by antisocial personality disorder.

If you don't understand how that makes this entire forum wrong, then you need to turn off your computer (or whatever you're using) and take a long walk around your neighborhood (gets the blood flowing to the brain and helps you think more).

When you've returned you will realize that religion doesn't cause sociopathy. Hopefully you'll also realize how many logical fallacies you just blatantly committed.

And maybe if you decide to, instead of ranting, do some research, you'll find out that the basic qualifications of being a sociopath contradict the basic beliefs of Christianity (or at least to my understanding of Christianity).
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:32:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Except for all the studies that have been done that directly correlate sociopathic/psychopathic personalities with cult leaders. Other than all that, you're merely missing the point rather than actively wrong.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:08:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 1:21:38 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus as treating the canaanite woman, whoso happen to BELIEVE he was
"Lord, Son of David" was pleading for jesus to heal her sick child. by comparing her to a dog, speaks volumes about his racism and elitist tribalistic traits...but to jesus' defense...that was the way of the world during his time (or at least that was the way of the world when these stories were circulating)
yes jesus did heal her child, ONLY because she conceded to being in an inferior tribe compared to his..now would you demean a person you wanted to help in order for you to help them...i would guess not...so why does jesus get a pass, why is this horrible treatment of a BELIEVER excused?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog.
which makes sense since this story comes from a gospel that was intended for a jewish audience, and this audience thought themselves to be the chosen tribe...the favorable tribe...the tribe that used their god as a justification to conquer canaan, just because their god said so.
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers wretched wicked evil and of the dark simply because they are unbelievers...
now by todays standard, judging people by what they believe or not not believe is a rather barbaric way of seeing people...
we judge people by what they do, and if the basic tenant of the christian faith is that the believer was wretched before becoming a believer...as we are all born into this wretched inclination, then christianity is sanctioning sociopathy...an anti social personality disorder
which is described as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
how in the world did DOMA gain traction, how is it that hobby lobby has the gull to call out the religious freedom card KNOWING their employees are not christian, or that their clients are not christian in a time that already recognizes unwarranted discrimination to be illegal...
why does the religious freedom card get a pass?
religious beliefs are ONLY OPINIONS...nothing else but are regarded as sacred
why? since we can trace discriminatory acts against human beings in the name of religious freedom...
this country is defending sociopathy when it defends opinions based on old ideologies that were formed at a time when tribalism was the law of the land

is that where we want to go...?

I usually don't say anything here, but I saw "sociopathy" so I decided to check it out to see if you actually knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't.

Like where do I even begin? Okay, I know you're anxious to see where I disagree with you, so I'll just start at the basic point. You ready?

Sociopathy is a mental illness caused by antisocial personality disorder.

yes it is...and it is defined as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
so we agree on this.

If you don't understand how that makes this entire forum wrong, then you need to turn off your computer (or whatever you're using) and take a long walk around your neighborhood (gets the blood flowing to the brain and helps you think more).

When you've returned you will realize that religion doesn't cause sociopathy. Hopefully you'll also realize how many logical fallacies you just blatantly committed.


And maybe if you decide to, instead of ranting, do some research, you'll find out that the basic qualifications of being a sociopath contradict the basic beliefs of Christianity (or at least to my understanding of Christianity).
all you did was defend your rebuttal with nothing..care to bring something to the table?
are you suggesting the hobby lobby DOMA and the women's reproductive rights are just made up? i suggest you read more about what is happening in the world around you...little girl.
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:14:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:08:40 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:21:38 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus as treating the canaanite woman, whoso happen to BELIEVE he was
"Lord, Son of David" was pleading for jesus to heal her sick child. by comparing her to a dog, speaks volumes about his racism and elitist tribalistic traits...but to jesus' defense...that was the way of the world during his time (or at least that was the way of the world when these stories were circulating)
yes jesus did heal her child, ONLY because she conceded to being in an inferior tribe compared to his..now would you demean a person you wanted to help in order for you to help them...i would guess not...so why does jesus get a pass, why is this horrible treatment of a BELIEVER excused?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog.
which makes sense since this story comes from a gospel that was intended for a jewish audience, and this audience thought themselves to be the chosen tribe...the favorable tribe...the tribe that used their god as a justification to conquer canaan, just because their god said so.
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers wretched wicked evil and of the dark simply because they are unbelievers...
now by todays standard, judging people by what they believe or not not believe is a rather barbaric way of seeing people...
we judge people by what they do, and if the basic tenant of the christian faith is that the believer was wretched before becoming a believer...as we are all born into this wretched inclination, then christianity is sanctioning sociopathy...an anti social personality disorder
which is described as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
how in the world did DOMA gain traction, how is it that hobby lobby has the gull to call out the religious freedom card KNOWING their employees are not christian, or that their clients are not christian in a time that already recognizes unwarranted discrimination to be illegal...
why does the religious freedom card get a pass?
religious beliefs are ONLY OPINIONS...nothing else but are regarded as sacred
why? since we can trace discriminatory acts against human beings in the name of religious freedom...
this country is defending sociopathy when it defends opinions based on old ideologies that were formed at a time when tribalism was the law of the land

is that where we want to go...?

I usually don't say anything here, but I saw "sociopathy" so I decided to check it out to see if you actually knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't.

Like where do I even begin? Okay, I know you're anxious to see where I disagree with you, so I'll just start at the basic point. You ready?

Sociopathy is a mental illness caused by antisocial personality disorder.

yes it is...and it is defined as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
so we agree on this.

No, a mental illness has a much longer definition than that.

If you don't understand how that makes this entire forum wrong, then you need to turn off your computer (or whatever you're using) and take a long walk around your neighborhood (gets the blood flowing to the brain and helps you think more).

When you've returned you will realize that religion doesn't cause sociopathy. Hopefully you'll also realize how many logical fallacies you just blatantly committed.


And maybe if you decide to, instead of ranting, do some research, you'll find out that the basic qualifications of being a sociopath contradict the basic beliefs of Christianity (or at least to my understanding of Christianity).
all you did was defend your rebuttal with nothing..care to bring something to the table?
are you suggesting the hobby lobby DOMA and the women's reproductive rights are just made up? i suggest you read more about what is happening in the world around you...little girl.

How does that make it sociopathy? You haven't logically connected the two. In fact, you haven't logically connected anything.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:25:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 12:03:07 PM, PureX wrote:
At 4/10/2014 10:44:18 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 9:37:39 AM, PureX wrote:


The reason I think so is that there are millions of Christians who have been taught that homosexuality is evil, but who do not take this teaching to heart. They understand that it is based on just a couple of lines in a book written by human beings who were just as given to bigotry as anyone.

the bible becomes anything anyone wants it to be...and in the case of sexual diversity god sanctions the marginalization and the destruction of such people as we have witnessed throughout history.

You're making the same mistake that many of those bigoted Christians make. God did not write the Bible. Men did. And being men, they were prone to bigotry, and to projecting their bigotry into their image of God. Many Christians understand this. And many do not.

i fully agree men wrote the bible, i am presenting their POV of why their unwarranted biases are justified because their god so happens to agree with them..as a recovering evangelical i am able to reflect from my own experiences

And even if they believe it, they still understand that everyone falls short of perfection, and so they don't see the "sin" of homosexuality as being any worse than any other sin. And everyone is guilty of sin.
those numbers were almost non existent 20 yrs ago...and it is because of people coming out and speaking out is what is changing the climate

i gotta take that with a truck load of salt...so DOMA was an illusion?
who pray tell were the main proponents of this hate?

Fear and hate are part of the human condition. We can either seek to overcome it, or we can wallow in it. Christianity didn't invent it. But it can help people to overcome that fear and hate if they want to do so. Unfortunately, it can be used to express that fear and hate, too, if that's what they want.
which really doesn't make any religious faith meaningful since it is up to the individual to "want" it

Religion is just a tool. It's not the hammer's fault if one uses it to build a crooked house.
a tool that the adherent believes is used to hammer out the "evil" i.e the divergent.

I have no idea why your mother would have been so viscerally effected by the thought of homosexuality. But that reaction didn't come from the Bible.


of course it did...there are several passages in the bible that would justify her disgust of it...but you see that is what you get with 3rd party revelation that is subject to the individuals interpretation....and since there is no such thing as empirical evidence that would establish the bible to mean something...it is thusly rendered meaningless for the sheer fact the bible becomes whatever the individual thinks...it's sort of like expecting the entire world to think your taste in music is the only taste in music everyone should have...since the entire idea behind religious dogma is claiming to be representing an all encompassing authority over everyone.

Again, I would remind you that "justification of" and "cause of" are not the same things. Are you blaming religion because you don't want to blame your mother?

i blame the indoctrination my mother was subject to as she too was presented with an ideology that would sanction self hatred as a young child...
it's the machine of religion that is what is causing the cancer to grow...and i am of the opinion, the more we scrutinize religious ideology the more it will be exposed for what it actually is...an excuse to justify unwarranted biases that were already there

Or everyone who reads and believes the Bible would have that reaction, and they don't.
some are more empathetic than others".

Exactly.

All I can say about it is that to me and to most people, Christian or otherwise, you are no different from anyone else. And you are certainly no less valued!

not according to 2 cor 6:14 or the parable of the 10 minas or matthew 10

We all choose what we believe to be true. No one controls our minds. When you encounter bigotry, you are encountering a bigot. No one forced them to think and act as they do.

"Christ" is actually a very simple ideal. It's the ideal that God's love (divine love), acting within us, and through us to others, will heal us and save us from ourselves. That's it.

no it isn't...christ ALSO taught tribalism and elitism which contradicts that notion...
THINK...belief is what saves you....unbelief is what condemns you..
that IS NOT love, that is an manipulated ultimatum..create the disease and then offer the cure.

Belief in Christ is the belief that God's love, that exists within us all as we are the reflection of our Creator, will heal us and save us from ourselves. If we will set our own fears and desires aside, and allow that love to rule our hearts and our actions.

The language of scripture is arcane, and has been biased by the theology of the various editors and translators over time. But the essence of the ideal is still there, if you're looking for it, and looking past the bias of time and religion.

But you have to choose to do that. Just as your mother or anyone else has to choose to do that.

That's really all there is to it. Unfortunately, a religion has been created with many variations, based on this idea but also perverting it to better suit those who are empowered by religion.

the pink elephant in the room is shouting, there are those who do not need religion to better themselves....the control group.

God bless them. I guess God has already blessed them.

And these religious perversions of the Christ ideal are the product of the flawed hearts and minds that created them. And they still serve our flawed hearts and minds, today.

again that is what you get with 3rd party revelation that is taken as the representation of the supreme beings will without it speaking for itself....empirical evidence is what is needed to settle that once and for all, this appeal to gullibility is just to dangerous as the individual gets to decide what the bible means,

What you get with 3rd party revelation is freedom of choice. And as we make our choices, we are defining ourselves. It's a great gift, if you think about it. You get to decide who you wish to become by what you believe to have been revealed.

And again, I am sorry that you have suffered the consequences of these perversions of the Christ ideal. And I'm sorry for your mom, too, for whatever it was that has caused her to react as she does to a simple fact of life.

i am more sorry for my husband who has to face an unwarranted insecurity, an innocent bystander.

Yes, but he's in it with you, now. You're troubles are his, and his, yours. I'm sure he's more concerned for you than he is about himself.
you are right...he is very concerned and very supportive and guess what, he doesn't need a belief system that would enable him to be that way

religious faith is cancer and affects EVERYONE on different levels...get rid of it and you get rid of justifying unwarranted biases

You also get rid of the method by which a great many people have chosen to work at forgiving others, loving others, forgiving themselves, loving themselves, being kind and tolerant toward strangers, and overcoming all kinds of irrational fears.
which is the worst reason to do anything...it's a band aid.
people are broken for their own reasons and they need to get to the root of the problem, doing something for someones else for a reward is both pretentious and calculating...there is not one bit of honesty in that at all..

thank you for your post....i hope something i said resonates with you.

Ditto! :)

cheers....
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:32:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 1:32:26 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Except for all the studies that have been done that directly correlate sociopathic/psychopathic personalities with cult leaders.
dogma is a cult.

Other than all that, you're merely missing the point rather than actively wrong.

nope, you just don't like what i presented...
if a book says unbelievers are wicked evil and of the dark why would a believer respect the rights of an unbeliever
care to explain why DOMA gained traction?
care to explain why women's reproductive rights are constantly in question?
care to explain why religious rights are to be used to discriminate agains other human beings?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:37:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:32:35 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:32:26 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Except for all the studies that have been done that directly correlate sociopathic/psychopathic personalities with cult leaders.
dogma is a cult.

Other than all that, you're merely missing the point rather than actively wrong.

nope, you just don't like what i presented...
if a book says unbelievers are wicked evil and of the dark why would a believer respect the rights of an unbeliever
care to explain why DOMA gained traction?
care to explain why women's reproductive rights are constantly in question?
care to explain why religious rights are to be used to discriminate agains other human beings?

Uh... I was agreeing with you and criticising the other poster who was claiming some special knowledge about sociopathy, whilst evidently lacking it.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:38:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:14:55 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:08:40 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:21:38 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus as treating the canaanite woman, whoso happen to BELIEVE he was
"Lord, Son of David" was pleading for jesus to heal her sick child. by comparing her to a dog, speaks volumes about his racism and elitist tribalistic traits...but to jesus' defense...that was the way of the world during his time (or at least that was the way of the world when these stories were circulating)
yes jesus did heal her child, ONLY because she conceded to being in an inferior tribe compared to his..now would you demean a person you wanted to help in order for you to help them...i would guess not...so why does jesus get a pass, why is this horrible treatment of a BELIEVER excused?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog.
which makes sense since this story comes from a gospel that was intended for a jewish audience, and this audience thought themselves to be the chosen tribe...the favorable tribe...the tribe that used their god as a justification to conquer canaan, just because their god said so.
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers wretched wicked evil and of the dark simply because they are unbelievers...
now by todays standard, judging people by what they believe or not not believe is a rather barbaric way of seeing people...
we judge people by what they do, and if the basic tenant of the christian faith is that the believer was wretched before becoming a believer...as we are all born into this wretched inclination, then christianity is sanctioning sociopathy...an anti social personality disorder
which is described as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
how in the world did DOMA gain traction, how is it that hobby lobby has the gull to call out the religious freedom card KNOWING their employees are not christian, or that their clients are not christian in a time that already recognizes unwarranted discrimination to be illegal...
why does the religious freedom card get a pass?
religious beliefs are ONLY OPINIONS...nothing else but are regarded as sacred
why? since we can trace discriminatory acts against human beings in the name of religious freedom...
this country is defending sociopathy when it defends opinions based on old ideologies that were formed at a time when tribalism was the law of the land

is that where we want to go...?

I usually don't say anything here, but I saw "sociopathy" so I decided to check it out to see if you actually knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't.

Like where do I even begin? Okay, I know you're anxious to see where I disagree with you, so I'll just start at the basic point. You ready?

Sociopathy is a mental illness caused by antisocial personality disorder.

yes it is...and it is defined as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
so we agree on this.

No, a mental illness has a much longer definition than that.

you are right
this isn't a mental illness
it's WILLFUL SOCIOPATHY
it's much much worse

If you don't understand how that makes this entire forum wrong, then you need to turn off your computer (or whatever you're using) and take a long walk around your neighborhood (gets the blood flowing to the brain and helps you think more).

When you've returned you will realize that religion doesn't cause sociopathy. Hopefully you'll also realize how many logical fallacies you just blatantly committed.


And maybe if you decide to, instead of ranting, do some research, you'll find out that the basic qualifications of being a sociopath contradict the basic beliefs of Christianity (or at least to my understanding of Christianity).
all you did was defend your rebuttal with nothing..care to bring something to the table?
are you suggesting the hobby lobby DOMA and the women's reproductive rights are just made up? i suggest you read more about what is happening in the world around you...little girl.

How does that make it sociopathy? You haven't logically connected the two. In fact, you haven't logically connected anything.
of course if have with the hobby lobby debacle, DOMA and the women's reproductive rights issue...who dares to tell another human being they can't get married?
who has the gull to tell women what to do with their own bodies
who has the audacity to claim religious freedom justifies unwarranted discrimination

THE WILLFUL SOCIOPATH
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:40:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Although to answer your questions; because America is absolutely crammed full of hate-filled, ignorant maniacs. It's like Pakistan with cable TV and Black Friday.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:41:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:37:53 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:32:35 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:32:26 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Except for all the studies that have been done that directly correlate sociopathic/psychopathic personalities with cult leaders.
dogma is a cult.

Other than all that, you're merely missing the point rather than actively wrong.

nope, you just don't like what i presented...
if a book says unbelievers are wicked evil and of the dark why would a believer respect the rights of an unbeliever
care to explain why DOMA gained traction?
care to explain why women's reproductive rights are constantly in question?
care to explain why religious rights are to be used to discriminate agains other human beings?

Uh... I was agreeing with you and criticising the other poster who was claiming some special knowledge about sociopathy, whilst evidently lacking it.

sorry...
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:42:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:38:05 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:14:55 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:08:40 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:21:38 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 4/9/2014 10:56:55 AM, perplexed wrote:
the story of jesus as treating the canaanite woman, whoso happen to BELIEVE he was
"Lord, Son of David" was pleading for jesus to heal her sick child. by comparing her to a dog, speaks volumes about his racism and elitist tribalistic traits...but to jesus' defense...that was the way of the world during his time (or at least that was the way of the world when these stories were circulating)
yes jesus did heal her child, ONLY because she conceded to being in an inferior tribe compared to his..now would you demean a person you wanted to help in order for you to help them...i would guess not...so why does jesus get a pass, why is this horrible treatment of a BELIEVER excused?

never did he compare another believing jew to a dog.
which makes sense since this story comes from a gospel that was intended for a jewish audience, and this audience thought themselves to be the chosen tribe...the favorable tribe...the tribe that used their god as a justification to conquer canaan, just because their god said so.
this same sentiment is echoed in 2 cor 6:14
whereby paul unequivocally calls unbelievers wretched wicked evil and of the dark simply because they are unbelievers...
now by todays standard, judging people by what they believe or not not believe is a rather barbaric way of seeing people...
we judge people by what they do, and if the basic tenant of the christian faith is that the believer was wretched before becoming a believer...as we are all born into this wretched inclination, then christianity is sanctioning sociopathy...an anti social personality disorder
which is described as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
now is it any wonder that christianity has been synonymous with discrimination?
how in the world did DOMA gain traction, how is it that hobby lobby has the gull to call out the religious freedom card KNOWING their employees are not christian, or that their clients are not christian in a time that already recognizes unwarranted discrimination to be illegal...
why does the religious freedom card get a pass?
religious beliefs are ONLY OPINIONS...nothing else but are regarded as sacred
why? since we can trace discriminatory acts against human beings in the name of religious freedom...
this country is defending sociopathy when it defends opinions based on old ideologies that were formed at a time when tribalism was the law of the land

is that where we want to go...?

I usually don't say anything here, but I saw "sociopathy" so I decided to check it out to see if you actually knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't.

Like where do I even begin? Okay, I know you're anxious to see where I disagree with you, so I'll just start at the basic point. You ready?

Sociopathy is a mental illness caused by antisocial personality disorder.

yes it is...and it is defined as
"a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others. "
so we agree on this.

No, a mental illness has a much longer definition than that.

you are right
this isn't a mental illness
it's WILLFUL SOCIOPATHY
it's much much worse

There's no such thing as willful sociopathy.

If you don't understand how that makes this entire forum wrong, then you need to turn off your computer (or whatever you're using) and take a long walk around your neighborhood (gets the blood flowing to the brain and helps you think more).

When you've returned you will realize that religion doesn't cause sociopathy. Hopefully you'll also realize how many logical fallacies you just blatantly committed.


And maybe if you decide to, instead of ranting, do some research, you'll find out that the basic qualifications of being a sociopath contradict the basic beliefs of Christianity (or at least to my understanding of Christianity).
all you did was defend your rebuttal with nothing..care to bring something to the table?
are you suggesting the hobby lobby DOMA and the women's reproductive rights are just made up? i suggest you read more about what is happening in the world around you...little girl.

How does that make it sociopathy? You haven't logically connected the two. In fact, you haven't logically connected anything.
of course if have with the hobby lobby debacle, DOMA and the women's reproductive rights issue...who dares to tell another human being they can't get married?
who has the gull to tell women what to do with their own bodies
who has the audacity to claim religious freedom justifies unwarranted discrimination

If you're talking about abortion then you can't claim that a fetus is the same as a woman's body. That's scientifically ignorant.

THE WILLFUL SOCIOPATH

You can't just throw out words to strengthen your case by hoping that the word actually works. It doesn't.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:42:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:41:38 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:37:53 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:32:35 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:32:26 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Except for all the studies that have been done that directly correlate sociopathic/psychopathic personalities with cult leaders.
dogma is a cult.

Other than all that, you're merely missing the point rather than actively wrong.

nope, you just don't like what i presented...
if a book says unbelievers are wicked evil and of the dark why would a believer respect the rights of an unbeliever
care to explain why DOMA gained traction?
care to explain why women's reproductive rights are constantly in question?
care to explain why religious rights are to be used to discriminate agains other human beings?

Uh... I was agreeing with you and criticising the other poster who was claiming some special knowledge about sociopathy, whilst evidently lacking it.

sorry...

No problem, I was just a little bemused to be mistaken for some bible-bashing bigot.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:43:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:32:35 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/10/2014 1:32:26 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Except for all the studies that have been done that directly correlate sociopathic/psychopathic personalities with cult leaders.
dogma is a cult.

Other than all that, you're merely missing the point rather than actively wrong.

nope, you just don't like what i presented...
if a book says unbelievers are wicked evil and of the dark why would a believer respect the rights of an unbeliever
care to explain why DOMA gained traction?
care to explain why women's reproductive rights are constantly in question?
care to explain why religious rights are to be used to discriminate agains other human beings?

Whining about it here isn't solving anything.

Then again, you probably know that and conveniently forget. You come here to vent while stroking something within you that wants to make a difference.

The funny thing about the internet that so many people have fallen into is that clicking crap on the web and posting long, bitter posts about stuff you don't like DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Great you hate religion. Woo hoo. What are you doing about it besides whining?
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:45:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Being patronised by someone who just made a thread about how much they hate this forum because all anyone ever does is argue. Top work on the hypocrisy though, since you're clearly going to achieve something.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:48:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:45:18 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Being patronised by someone who just made a thread about how much they hate this forum because all anyone ever does is argue. Top work on the hypocrisy though, since you're clearly going to achieve something.

I never said I was achieving anything. I use this website mainly as social media.

But I'm glad you read everything I've been writing.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:49:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:48:27 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:45:18 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Being patronised by someone who just made a thread about how much they hate this forum because all anyone ever does is argue. Top work on the hypocrisy though, since you're clearly going to achieve something.

I never said I was achieving anything. I use this website mainly as social media.

But I'm glad you read everything I've been writing.

It's not a sentiment I share, to be honest.