Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

There Is An Entire Subculture...

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:32:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
...of DDO that ONLY exists in the Religion forums.

Seriously, I never come here because its only populated by people who love to fight but never actually want to change their minds about anything but I popped in to see whats what and there is an entire society in here that only exists here.

There are members I've forgotten about and never seen before that have wayyyy more forum activity than most "active" DDO members.

It's completely ridiculous. Can you guys talk about anything else besides religion?
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:24:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

Hmmm...

This could be true. But this place feels so alien and hostile. Like the moon...
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:05:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 3:24:47 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

Hmmm...

This could be true. But this place feels so alien and hostile. Like the moon...

Except the moon has no inhabitants and the religion forum is filled with a lot of extreme dimwits, arrogant atheists, and self proclaimed saints.

its a scary place indeed.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:25:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 5:05:28 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:24:47 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

Hmmm...

This could be true. But this place feels so alien and hostile. Like the moon...

Except the moon has no inhabitants and the religion forum is filled with a lot of extreme dimwits, arrogant atheists, and self proclaimed saints.

its a scary place indeed.

I kind of like you.
And I don't like noobs.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:26:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:32:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
...of DDO that ONLY exists in the Religion forums.

Seriously, I never come here because its only populated by people who love to fight but never actually want to change their minds about anything but I popped in to see whats what and there is an entire society in here that only exists here.

There are members I've forgotten about and never seen before that have wayyyy more forum activity than most "active" DDO members.

It's completely ridiculous. Can you guys talk about anything else besides religion?

Religion is fun!
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:27:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 5:26:53 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:32:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
...of DDO that ONLY exists in the Religion forums.

Seriously, I never come here because its only populated by people who love to fight but never actually want to change their minds about anything but I popped in to see whats what and there is an entire society in here that only exists here.

There are members I've forgotten about and never seen before that have wayyyy more forum activity than most "active" DDO members.

It's completely ridiculous. Can you guys talk about anything else besides religion?

Religion is fun!

The way all y'all interact seems miserable.
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:27:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 5:25:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/10/2014 5:05:28 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:24:47 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

Hmmm...

This could be true. But this place feels so alien and hostile. Like the moon...

Except the moon has no inhabitants and the religion forum is filled with a lot of extreme dimwits, arrogant atheists, and self proclaimed saints.

its a scary place indeed.

I kind of like you.
And I don't like noobs.

Of course you like me, if you didn't then I wouldn't know what to think.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:30:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 5:27:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/10/2014 5:26:53 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/10/2014 2:32:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
...of DDO that ONLY exists in the Religion forums.

Seriously, I never come here because its only populated by people who love to fight but never actually want to change their minds about anything but I popped in to see whats what and there is an entire society in here that only exists here.

There are members I've forgotten about and never seen before that have wayyyy more forum activity than most "active" DDO members.

It's completely ridiculous. Can you guys talk about anything else besides religion?

Religion is fun!

The way all y'all interact seems miserable.

We enjoy it still, and we learn a lot from one another, that's the purpose, we even change our minds about certain things. but don't expect people to come here for the purpose of changing their minds, they come believing they have something to share with others !
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:54:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:32:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
...of DDO that ONLY exists in the Religion forums.

Seriously, I never come here because its only populated by people who love to fight but never actually want to change their minds about anything but I popped in to see whats what and there is an entire society in here that only exists here.

There are members I've forgotten about and never seen before that have wayyyy more forum activity than most "active" DDO members.

It's completely ridiculous. Can you guys talk about anything else besides religion?

Haha. That's so true. There are even women here!
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:59:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

wow. That must be true. But is it possible to have a discussion here without having to talk about - you know - religion?
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:04:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 5:30:15 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
Religion is fun!

The way all y'all interact seems miserable.

We enjoy it still, and we learn a lot from one another, that's the purpose, we even change our minds about certain things. but don't expect people to come here for the purpose of changing their minds, they come believing they have something to share with others !

Haha. It's like being in a totally foreign country. :) This is the first time I've seen the phrase "share with others" meant in a nice way on this site.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I like this folder because beliefs aren't something you need expertise in to meaningfully discuss. Other folders - philosophy especially - tend to get bogged down by people who think they know a lot more than they do and I get impossibly frustrated by it. Here it's more a free & frank exchange of views.

There's also often something admirable about people with a committed faith, whether I agree with it or not. At heart, most people here really care about the world being better. In other folders, people just care about sounding clever. Aside from the trolls this place attracts (plus the more indoctrinated types who're suffering from a bad case of Crimestop), I think the religion forum is where the most interesting and genuine discussion takes place.

I mean, there's probably relatively few things that Fruitytree & I agree about, from what is 'good' or 'evil' to why. I respect her though, because she clearly cares a lot about being good. I guess what route you take is only one part of it, as the destination has to count for something. This folder is more about expressing that than arguing with some school-kid with a pet theory that they can't understand has been long buried by previous generations. If you want a technical philosophical conversation, go and find some academics who have a clue what they're talking about. If you want to understand people and their beliefs, you can talk to pretty much anyone and learn something of value. Or rather, about value.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:11:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

How strange. What you say sounds so humane. If true, why would that be? Maybe it's like tarriffs protecting fledgling industry; maybe religion protects fledgling thinking.

How does that work exactly though?
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:14:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:11:31 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

How strange. What you say sounds so humane. If true, why would that be? Maybe it's like tarriffs protecting fledgling industry; maybe religion protects fledgling thinking.

How does that work exactly though?

Maybe religion obliges people to try to listen to others?
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:15:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:11:31 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

How strange. What you say sounds so humane. If true, why would that be? Maybe it's like tarriffs protecting fledgling industry; maybe religion protects fledgling thinking.

How does that work exactly though?

None of the important bits really have anything to do with the religion aspect, to be honest. I think it just gives people a context to examine and express the stuff that is of interest and value.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:19:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 5:59:08 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

wow. That must be true. But is it possible to have a discussion here without having to talk about - you know - religion?

I mean here on the religion forum. Because I want to hang out with the subculture but I'm not into religion.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:20:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:14:23 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:11:31 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

How strange. What you say sounds so humane. If true, why would that be? Maybe it's like tarriffs protecting fledgling industry; maybe religion protects fledgling thinking.

How does that work exactly though?

Maybe religion obliges people to try to listen to others?

I'd say that the virtue of it is the opposite; it makes them look at themselves.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:22:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:15:55 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:11:31 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

None of the important bits really have anything to do with the religion aspect, to be honest. I think it just gives people a context to examine and express the stuff that is of interest and value.

Hmm. So what proportion of contributers to the religion forum would be Christians, would you say? Just an estimate.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:23:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:19:34 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 5:59:08 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 3:19:16 PM, philochristos wrote:
No, no, you've got it all backwards. This is where DDO is at. Everywhere else is the "subculture." As you said, "I never come here." You just stay in your own subculture. But I'm glad you could make it. :-)

wow. That must be true. But is it possible to have a discussion here without having to talk about - you know - religion?

I mean here on the religion forum. Because I want to hang out with the subculture but I'm not into religion.

I'm one of those Angry Atheists everyone is so worried about, so I think it's fair to say I'm not into religion either.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:24:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:20:24 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:14:23 PM, rross wrote:

How does that work exactly though?

Maybe religion obliges people to try to listen to others?

I'd say that the virtue of it is the opposite; it makes them look at themselves.

Aha :) do you mean self-doubt or something else?
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:26:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:22:45 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:15:55 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:11:31 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

None of the important bits really have anything to do with the religion aspect, to be honest. I think it just gives people a context to examine and express the stuff that is of interest and value.

Hmm. So what proportion of contributers to the religion forum would be Christians, would you say? Just an estimate.

I have no idea. Why does it matter?
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:27:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:24:56 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:20:24 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:14:23 PM, rross wrote:

How does that work exactly though?

Maybe religion obliges people to try to listen to others?

I'd say that the virtue of it is the opposite; it makes them look at themselves.

Aha :) do you mean self-doubt or something else?

I mean looking at what matters to yourself and then trying to make sense of it. Religion can certainly get in the way of that, but often it gets people pointed at least in the right general direction to start doing some proper searching.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:28:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:23:15 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

wow. That must be true. But is it possible to have a discussion here without having to talk about - you know - religion?

I mean here on the religion forum. Because I want to hang out with the subculture but I'm not into religion.

I'm one of those Angry Atheists everyone is so worried about, so I think it's fair to say I'm not into religion either.

Oh no it's the opposite. Not being into religion means indifference to religion. I'm an atheist but I don't mind at all that other people are - I just find Christian discussion to be kind of tedious sometimes. In the real world I mean.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:31:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:26:05 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:22:45 PM, rross wrote:

Hmm. So what proportion of contributers to the religion forum would be Christians, would you say? Just an estimate.

I have no idea. Why does it matter?

Because discussions between buddhists, muslims, christians, jews, hindus and atheists etc. might be interesting. Christians on christians not so much, but of course I should read the threads and find out for myself.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 6:44:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh no it's the opposite. Not being into religion means indifference to religion. I'm an atheist but I don't mind at all that other people are - I just find Christian discussion to be kind of tedious sometimes. In the real world I mean.

Oh I avoid all the theological discussions, they're eminently tedious. Scripture is pretty much all of what is wrong with religion. Without it I can't see how I'd have any issue with religion at all.

Because discussions between buddhists, muslims, christians, jews, hindus and atheists etc. might be interesting. Christians on christians not so much, but of course I should read the threads and find out for myself.

There's a mix, certainly of atheists, Muslims and Christians. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff in here is garbage, but that's true of all the forums. All the most interesting threads I've seen on DDO have been in this folder though, when the stars align and respect, civility and genuine interest coincide in one thread.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:02:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:31:47 PM, rross wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:26:05 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
At 4/10/2014 6:22:45 PM, rross wrote:

Hmm. So what proportion of contributers to the religion forum would be Christians, would you say? Just an estimate.

I have no idea. Why does it matter?

Because discussions between buddhists, muslims, christians, jews, hindus and atheists etc. might be interesting. Christians on christians not so much, but of course I should read the threads and find out for myself.

Its overwhelmingly a battle between Christians and atheists. Very boring.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:03:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:32:16 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
...of DDO that ONLY exists in the Religion forums.

Seriously, I never come here because its only populated by people who love to fight but never actually want to change their minds about anything but I popped in to see whats what and there is an entire society in here that only exists here.

There are members I've forgotten about and never seen before that have wayyyy more forum activity than most "active" DDO members.

It's completely ridiculous. Can you guys talk about anything else besides religion?

It's kinda funny you should say that, because I've tried repeatedly posting in other forums (especially science, tech and history) and have never gotten a response there. I have a lot more on my mind than religion.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:03:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:44:55 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Oh I avoid all the theological discussions, they're eminently tedious. Scripture is pretty much all of what is wrong with religion. Without it I can't see how I'd have any issue with religion at all.

Sounds like you just like the company of religious people.

There's a mix, certainly of atheists, Muslims and Christians. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff in here is garbage, but that's true of all the forums. All the most interesting threads I've seen on DDO have been in this folder though, when the stars align and respect, civility and genuine interest coincide in one thread.

Would you have a link?
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:08:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 6:05:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
I like this folder because beliefs aren't something you need expertise in to meaningfully discuss. Other folders - philosophy especially - tend to get bogged down by people who think they know a lot more than they do and I get impossibly frustrated by it. Here it's more a free & frank exchange of views.

There's also often something admirable about people with a committed faith, whether I agree with it or not. At heart, most people here really care about the world being better. In other folders, people just care about sounding clever. Aside from the trolls this place attracts (plus the more indoctrinated types who're suffering from a bad case of Crimestop), I think the religion forum is where the most interesting and genuine discussion takes place.

I mean, there's probably relatively few things that Fruitytree & I agree about, from what is 'good' or 'evil' to why. I respect her though, because she clearly cares a lot about being good. I guess what route you take is only one part of it, as the destination has to count for something. This folder is more about expressing that than arguing with some school-kid with a pet theory that they can't understand has been long buried by previous generations. If you want a technical philosophical conversation, go and find some academics who have a clue what they're talking about. If you want to understand people and their beliefs, you can talk to pretty much anyone and learn something of value. Or rather, about value.

Very nice post. :)