Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What are christians saying about Jesus wife

philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 3:06:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here's Melinda Penner's take on it from Stand to Reason:

http://str.typepad.com...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 3:55:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's most likely Mary Magdalene. Based on the fact that she technically was his disciple as well as always being by his side. It's shown in the Bible several times that Jesus was prone to the same emotions as the common man. If he "never sinned" then it would make sense that he wed her in order to please his other manly desires.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
question4u
Posts: 492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:19:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 3:06:08 PM, philochristos wrote:
Here's Melinda Penner's take on it from Stand to Reason:

http://str.typepad.com...

Intresting that since it was past the life of jesus christian shrub it off, but all the gospels was written about 80 AD and after, but those writting are the truth. This is enough evidence for me.
laocmo
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:20:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

You can not prove this anymore than someone could prove he did. Your proof probably is something you were taught by someone who had just opinion, not proof.
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:27:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:20:56 PM, laocmo wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

You can not prove this anymore than someone could prove he did. Your proof probably is something you were taught by someone who had just opinion, not proof.

That's like saying there is no proof the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists therefore it is just as likely that he exists as he doesn't exist.

Anyways, the proof is in the link Philoscristos posted. The manuscript that said Jesus had a wife was a fake manuscript.
question4u
Posts: 492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:27:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

Christians believe an evidence that people wrote about man years after most of his disciples were considered dead and himself, but can not believe the other texts that are not canon.
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:42:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:27:42 PM, question4u wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

Christians believe an evidence that people wrote about man years after most of his disciples were considered dead and himself, but can not believe the other texts that are not canon.

Jesus' apostles wrote the New Testament. The piece of text claiming Jesus had a wife was proven to be a fake manuscript.
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:50:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

tell me about it....
i just don't understand what is the big deal if jesus was married?
isn't being married a good thing?

oh i get it...that would make jesus sexual...and for some reason sex and dogma have an interesting dialogue going in the minds of people who grew up thinking being sexual is bad....
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Crescendo
Posts: 470
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:55:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

There were countless non-canon books made by early Christians and Gnostics. This book was likely a fraudulent work written by an early Christian-like sect.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 4:59:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:55:03 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

There were countless non-canon books made by early Christians and Gnostics. This book was likely a fraudulent work written by an early Christian-like sect.

but wasn't the jesus movement considered a sect according to the jewish leaders of the time?
so really who is to say anything about something that is ancient...certainly not that it is representing an all encompassing authority throughout the universe, cause that would be silly.
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
question4u
Posts: 492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 5:14:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:55:03 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

There were countless non-canon books made by early Christians and Gnostics. This book was likely a fraudulent work written by an early Christian-like sect.

buty you would never know unless you ask jesus an he give you an answer.....try and see what will happen.. I know nothing...
FLMinistries
Posts: 133
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 5:37:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

Being married is a desire of the person. It is not like eating or drinking which are needed. Marriage and sexual desire are just that desires. We know from any source that Christ's desire was fully towards God and not Himself. He would not get married or have sex because that would require self-centered desire. Paul even puts it plainly that he did not marry and if your desire for sex was great to become married to avoid fornication. Fornication is sin, Christ never sinned. Marriage is something for oneself which Christ had not desire for Himself but only to God "Let thy Will be done". Therefore, Christ never married. Also Christ was Nazarite which is one whom sustains from marriage. A Nazarite vows to voluntarily dedicate themselves to God.
arielmessenger
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 7:14:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh bullsheeshee. If you knew anything about Judaism and Jews you'd know that the Gentile idea of sex and wives being not compatible with Jewish men of God is horse pucky. Rabbis were supposed to be married and in Jewish culture being unmarried without children was a sign God wasn't with you. It's a Gentile invention overlayed onto Jews life where it never fit.

Yeishu ben Pantera probably wasn't married as there's no mention of a wife in the Talmud accounts. The New Testament Gospels are fictions written and edited by likely by Gentiles (Church Fathers) or very poorly Judaism religion and Palestine topography informed Jews. Still God is able to used whatever can be used to carry the Spirit of Christ information through the generations and the Gospel of John is the most spiritually packed text in existence. The Gospel of Thomas too is uniquely in a class by itself.

Jesus Christ, Yeishu ben Pantera, most likely didn't have time to find a wife. The "Mary Magdalene" nonsense is the New Testament writers unfamiliarity with Hebrew or Palestinian geography and confused an Aramaic word for "hairdresser of hairdressors, i.e. a very respected hairdressor for the name of a place called Magdala. Miriam ben Stada was Joseph ben Pantera's wife who bore Yeishu. According to one rabbi, the Talmud reports her occupation was as a woman's hairdresser. Gnostic Christians wanted their Jesus to be married to the Gospel "Mary Magdalene" but these were Gentiles writing in the 4th A.D. century or later and basing their gospels on the mistranslation of Miriam ben Stada, Yeishu's mother, of the Aramaic word for woman's hairdresser".
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 8:44:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:19:55 PM, question4u wrote:
At 4/11/2014 3:06:08 PM, philochristos wrote:
Here's Melinda Penner's take on it from Stand to Reason:

http://str.typepad.com...

Intresting that since it was past the life of jesus christian shrub it off, but all the gospels was written about 80 AD and after, but those writting are the truth. This is enough evidence for me.

Actually, the most common date for Mark is in the late 60's/early 70's, so that's about 30 to 40 years after Jesus. Matthew and Luke were written in the 80's, so that's about 50 years after Jesus. John was written in the 90's, so that's about 60 years after Jesus. Those are the most common dates, although some people do date them earlier.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 8:56:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

What is wrong with Jesus having a wife ?! all prophets had wives!
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 8:59:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 8:56:19 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

What is wrong with Jesus having a wife ?! all prophets had wives!

Jesus wasn't just a prophet, he was and is the Messiah. Those who are married love God through love of their spouse. However, like priests, those called to single life directly and wholeheartedly love God directly and give God undivided attention. Not its not bad that one has a wife and loves her, but being single allows one to focus on God in particular more. This is a key reason for why Jesus didn't have a wife.
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 9:12:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 8:59:30 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/11/2014 8:56:19 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

What is wrong with Jesus having a wife ?! all prophets had wives!

Jesus wasn't just a prophet, he was and is the Messiah. Those who are married love God through love of their spouse. However, like priests, those called to single life directly and wholeheartedly love God directly and give God undivided attention. Not its not bad that one has a wife and loves her, but being single allows one to focus on God in particular more. This is a key reason for why Jesus didn't have a wife.

You can have a wife and love God directly.. and worship him more perfectly.

Your philosophy suggests that being single is better if you're religious, which is a call to destroying society, God always was proud of the lines and sons of His prophets and you philosophy cannot stand.

I'm not saying Jesus did have a wife, but if he had it wouldn't diminish his status..

In Islamic prophecies , after Jesus descends , he will marry and have kids.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 10:46:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

I don't know. This just has the flavor of a feint to me, drawing attention away from core issues. If people are going to reject the New Testament because it wasn't written until after Jesus died then it's not proper to gloat over a piece of scroll dated eight centuries after his death. I mean, it's cool to believe the scroll, but discredit the Bible as a fake? I think that all these things were written by mortal men based upon their own personal experiences. There is no book of Jesus.
SubterFugitive
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 1:50:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

~800 years after Christ lived? ... Why should we consider this?
SubterFugitive
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 1:53:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:19:55 PM, question4u wrote:
At 4/11/2014 3:06:08 PM, philochristos wrote:
Here's Melinda Penner's take on it from Stand to Reason:

http://str.typepad.com...

Intresting that since it was past the life of jesus christian shrub it off, but all the gospels was written about 80 AD and after, but those writting are the truth. This is enough evidence for me.

30-80AD is within the lifetime of eye witnesses. 300-800AD is not. Pretty big difference.
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:46:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 9:12:44 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/11/2014 8:59:30 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/11/2014 8:56:19 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

What is wrong with Jesus having a wife ?! all prophets had wives!

Jesus wasn't just a prophet, he was and is the Messiah. Those who are married love God through love of their spouse. However, like priests, those called to single life directly and wholeheartedly love God directly and give God undivided attention. Not its not bad that one has a wife and loves her, but being single allows one to focus on God in particular more. This is a key reason for why Jesus didn't have a wife.

You can have a wife and love God directly.. and worship him more perfectly.

What I am saying is that in a certain sense, having a spouse takes attention off of God himself, even if you are serving God in indirect ways (through marriage).

Your philosophy suggests that being single is better if you're religious, which is a call to destroying society, God always was proud of the lines and sons of His prophets and you philosophy cannot stand.

No, marriage is a vocation that God calls many people to. I am just saying that being single is a different vocation that has a more direct focus on God. Since Jesus was the Son of God, and lived for God, Jesus logically couldn't, or rather shouldn't have had a wife.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 12:04:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/11/2014 4:50:23 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

tell me about it....
i just don't understand what is the big deal if jesus was married?
isn't being married a good thing?

oh i get it...that would make jesus sexual...and for some reason sex and dogma have an interesting dialogue going in the minds of people who grew up thinking being sexual is bad....

Yep, and it also elevates women. This could be an Obama plot! LOL

It also interferes with the power of their indoctrination into Christianity so we will have to watch to see how vociferously they fight back against the idea. Very, imo. The power of indoctrination is more powerful than a parent's love of a child in some circumstances! Can there be any greater evil? Motherhood finally defeated?
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 12:39:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 12:04:06 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:50:23 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

tell me about it....
i just don't understand what is the big deal if jesus was married?
isn't being married a good thing?

oh i get it...that would make jesus sexual...and for some reason sex and dogma have an interesting dialogue going in the minds of people who grew up thinking being sexual is bad....

Yep, and it also elevates women. This could be an Obama plot! LOL

It also interferes with the power of their indoctrination into Christianity so we will have to watch to see how vociferously they fight back against the idea. Very, imo. The power of indoctrination is more powerful than a parent's love of a child in some circumstances! Can there be any greater evil? Motherhood finally defeated?

motherhood, actually all that plays a role in the system nurturing, is defeated when society regards religious ideology as more than just an opinion
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 12:43:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 12:39:05 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/12/2014 12:04:06 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:50:23 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

tell me about it....
i just don't understand what is the big deal if jesus was married?
isn't being married a good thing?

oh i get it...that would make jesus sexual...and for some reason sex and dogma have an interesting dialogue going in the minds of people who grew up thinking being sexual is bad....

Yep, and it also elevates women. This could be an Obama plot! LOL

It also interferes with the power of their indoctrination into Christianity so we will have to watch to see how vociferously they fight back against the idea. Very, imo. The power of indoctrination is more powerful than a parent's love of a child in some circumstances! Can there be any greater evil? Motherhood finally defeated?

motherhood, actually all that plays a role in the system nurturing, is defeated when society regards religious ideology as more than just an opinion

Not quite sure what you said there because of your grammar, but I think you know that religion is a challenge to motherhood. Maybe it was always meant to be so? This could get interesting to see how the church handles this. Very destructive maybe?
perplexed
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 1:37:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 12:43:43 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/12/2014 12:39:05 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/12/2014 12:04:06 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:50:23 PM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/11/2014 1:46:00 PM, question4u wrote:
Gospel of Jesus wife?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

Loving when the truth comes out. I just hope truth continue to come out but more rapid.

tell me about it....
i just don't understand what is the big deal if jesus was married?
isn't being married a good thing?

oh i get it...that would make jesus sexual...and for some reason sex and dogma have an interesting dialogue going in the minds of people who grew up thinking being sexual is bad....

Yep, and it also elevates women. This could be an Obama plot! LOL

It also interferes with the power of their indoctrination into Christianity so we will have to watch to see how vociferously they fight back against the idea. Very, imo. The power of indoctrination is more powerful than a parent's love of a child in some circumstances! Can there be any greater evil? Motherhood finally defeated?

motherhood, actually all that plays a role in the system nurturing, is defeated when society regards religious ideology as more than just an opinion

Not quite sure what you said there because of your grammar, but I think you know that religion is a challenge to motherhood. Maybe it was always meant to be so? This could get interesting to see how the church handles this. Very destructive maybe?

oh ok....how about this

motherhood, actually all that plays a role in the system OF nurturing, is defeated when society regards religious ideology as more than just an opinion

better?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
question4u
Posts: 492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 3:37:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At Ingrid

Gospel of Mark 80 AD, Gospel of Matthew 100 AD , Luke 130 AD, and John 120 AD. However we suppose hold these as the truth but anything else as false. There is many texts writing earlier then these but this is the core of the gospel. Other gospels that was written closer to jesus time was not considered by the church. However, some of their writing appear in the gospels. I believe personally all the gospels was written about 200 AD and after just to be honest.. The gnostics contributed most of the writing of jesus but no one cares. Joshua had a wife and he loved her. Get over it. "He loved her like he loved the church."
Fruitytree
Posts: 2,176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 4:08:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 11:46:11 AM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/11/2014 9:12:44 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/11/2014 8:59:30 PM, Intrepid wrote:
At 4/11/2014 8:56:19 PM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 4/11/2014 4:01:18 PM, Intrepid wrote:
Jesus did not have a wife

What is wrong with Jesus having a wife ?! all prophets had wives!

Jesus wasn't just a prophet, he was and is the Messiah. Those who are married love God through love of their spouse. However, like priests, those called to single life directly and wholeheartedly love God directly and give God undivided attention. Not its not bad that one has a wife and loves her, but being single allows one to focus on God in particular more. This is a key reason for why Jesus didn't have a wife.

You can have a wife and love God directly.. and worship him more perfectly.

What I am saying is that in a certain sense, having a spouse takes attention off of God himself, even if you are serving God in indirect ways (through marriage).

Your philosophy suggests that being single is better if you're religious, which is a call to destroying society, God always was proud of the lines and sons of His prophets and you philosophy cannot stand.

No, marriage is a vocation that God calls many people to. I am just saying that being single is a different vocation that has a more direct focus on God. Since Jesus was the Son of God, and lived for God, Jesus logically couldn't, or rather shouldn't have had a wife.

I think that being single makes worshipping God more difficult. a bit like abstaining from food to dangerous levels, it doesn't really serve its purpose when it's extreme, so maybe it's a case by case.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:17:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/12/2014 3:37:45 PM, question4u wrote:
At Ingrid

Gospel of Mark 80 AD, Gospel of Matthew 100 AD , Luke 130 AD, and John 120 AD. However we suppose hold these as the truth but anything else as false. There is many texts writing earlier then these but this is the core of the gospel. Other gospels that was written closer to jesus time was not considered by the church. However, some of their writing appear in the gospels. I believe personally all the gospels was written about 200 AD and after just to be honest.. The gnostics contributed most of the writing of jesus but no one cares. Joshua had a wife and he loved her. Get over it. "He loved her like he loved the church."

I don't necessarily hold any of them to be the truth. The greatest importance of the New Testament is represented in the messages it gives us relating to how we should live our lives and telling us how to interact with our fellow humans, with the focus on love and forgiveness. So are you telling me that you hold all the gospel you mention to be actual fact?