Jump to topic:

About the Bible.

Quatermass
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 8:31:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Now let us be clear. The Bible is not trailmix. You don't get to pick and choose which parts you like and leave the rest. Either the Bible is right or it is not. It's an all in or all out kind of deal. So

"A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed" Deuteronomy 22:13-21.

The question is...is it wrong or right to execute a woman who is not a virgin upon her marriage?

Yes or no answers.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 8:50:14 PM
I'm not a Christian nor a Jew, but to answer your question I'll act as being one.

first, the books are not all the same, in order to take a command I must be sure it's from God's prophets, otherwise I leave it.

second, I must see how it was implemented by God's prophets, as prophets usually are also kings, so they are rulers and can execute a verse like this one.

If the prophet faced a similar situation and required witnesses or something like that, then the verse is abrogated by the prophets action.

If you are just a person from the people and you are not a ruler then you don't have any burden regarding this verse, it's not your responsibility.

Also if you were a ruler , the verse applies only to people who accept this faith, you can't generalise it on people who didn't even accept your scripture.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 3:04:42 PM
At 4/11/2014 8:31:01 PM, Quatermass wrote:
Now let us be clear. The Bible is not trailmix. You don't get to pick and choose which parts you like and leave the rest. Either the Bible is right or it is not. It's an all in or all out kind of deal. So

"A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed" Deuteronomy 22:13-21.

The question is...is it wrong or right to execute a woman who is not a virgin upon her marriage?

Yes or no answers.

Is it right or wrong for an American soldier to kill a German soldier? The American army has given the command.

The question is...is it wrong or right to kill a German soldier who is outside of Germany upon sight?

Yes or no answers.

Wheeeeee! It's fun being ignorant!
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 3:27:49 PM

Yes.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 4:03:49 PM

Yes or no answers.

When someone asks a question like that, I know that the number of minutes they've spent studying the Bible in their entire life is measured in single digits.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 4:23:44 PM

Yes or no answers.

Quartermass, I disagree with your conclusion. The various books, epistles, and writings within the Bible were never written to be one single book. They were written by different authors, with different opinions, and different interpretations about God, human philosophy and life.

Picking, selecting, and discarded of what's in the Bible is something I do frequently. I do not believe the Bible is infallible and that it is the words of God on paper. This is not the opinion I hold this is why I believe you can pick and choose what verses have value in the Bible.

It's a bit like the writings and beliefs of America's founders. The American founders have contributed immensely in our nation and our culture, but many of those view on a diverse set of topics are wrong. We don't accept. We oppose slavery today while many of the founders (most in fact) endorses slavery and believed it had a place in America. The same thing with women's equality under the law. Today we believe females have the right to vote, have the right to run for office. 200 years ago virtually every signer of the U.S. Constitution believed females had no such rights.

Just as the opinions of the great American founders can be wrong and should be viewed as wrong, so it is with a book such as the Bible. We have to use our intelligence, our compassion, logic and history to determine what in the Bible is valid and what should be discarded as junk.

Progression of thought and ideas is a fact of life in any culture--and so it necessarily applies to the Bible as well. Many of the views within the Bible are accurate; many are plain backwards and wrong--and should be called "Wrong".

We use this sort of judgement in life already. So why can't we also do it with the Bible, which has numerous authors of different backgrounds?

I think we can.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 4:33:56 PM

Yes or no answers.

Yeah, but only if it's like "I'm gonna execute that b*tch tonight... if ya know what I mean... ay? Wink wink, nudge nudge."
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 4:35:01 PM

Yes or no answers.

And nah real answer no, you should stop taking the Bible literally.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 4:53:18 PM

Yes or no answers.

Why should one say "yes or no" to a commandment made in a book which is as complex as the Bible?

Have you ever read the Bible, or are you another work-a-day atheist who lives a filthy manner of life and only denies it's truth because you don't want to go to Hell?
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 6:26:28 PM

Yes or no answers.

In lieu of a yes or no answer, I prefer to provide a thoughtful answer.

To derive the concept of morality from the Bible in my opinion is rather absurd. An individual is competent of determining morality provided by their own capabilities without the approbation of the Bible. In my opinion morality is subjective and varies from individual to individual, and so forth and so on.

"The question is...is it wrong or right to execute a woman who is not a virgin upon her marriage?"

I will bestow two separate scenarios for us to examine regarding that question.

Scenario 1: Apply the question WITH the Bible as a moral origin.
Scenario 2: Apply the question WITHOUT the Bible as a moral origin.
The operating words whereby deliberate emphasis was placed in the two scenarios are; with and without the Bible.

Scenario 1: This scenario encompasses the Bible as an origin for morality. According to the Bible passage, execution is justifiable upon reviewal of certain circumstances, in this instance executing a woman who is not a virgin when summoned for marriage. Cogitate this question. What morals can you as an individual decipher after examining what the Bible deems an appropriate consequence or fate of a woman who is not a virgin when asked for marriage? It is blatantly inferred that the execution (killing) of a woman solely on the fact that she was not a virgin prior to marriage is acceptable. In my opinion, It is superfluous to state that, because of the obvious atrocious message that the passage is insinuating, it is immoral to kill a woman because of sexual encounters prior to marriage.

I provided the second scenario for comparison purposes.

Scenario 2: The Bible is completely devoid in this scenario so the Bible is not an origin to acquire a moral sense from. We will allocate this scenario for individuals to formulate their own morals. Since there is no Bible resort to, we must rely on our own comprehension of morality to determine whether something is right or wrong . This is entirely dependent on the you to establish whether or not something is moral or immoral. Ask yourself; is it moral or immoral to kill a woman if she is not a virgin when asked for marriage?

This latter scenario contains the origin of morality which is self reliant rather than the first which relies on testimony and biblical accounts.

In my opinion, morality that is self formulated is superiorly more pragmatic than morality that is a derivative of a text that proposes prodigious claims such as the killing women who have engaged in sexual intercourse prior to marriage.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 11:41:31 PM

Yes or no answers.

according to the bible, it is right to execute a woman who isn't a virgin
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 11:42:57 PM
At 4/25/2014 4:03:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

When someone asks a question like that, I know that the number of minutes they've spent studying the Bible in their entire life is measured in single digits.

cowardly answer.

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 11:59:06 PM
Now let us be clear. The Bible is not trailmix. You don't get to pick and choose which parts you like and leave the rest. Either the Bible is right or it is not. It's an all in or all out kind of deal.

That is actually false... the Bible is a collection of books written by many different authors over the course of several centuries. It would be perfectly reasonable to accept some books and reject others. Different Bibles often vary in which books they include in them.

That being said, I don't believe there is a good reason to accept ANY of the Bible's books as divinely-inspired, so in that sense, I sort of agree with you XD
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:13:03 AM
At 4/25/2014 11:42:57 PM, perplexed wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

Nonetheless it is true. The poor guy thinks he can flip open a Bible and no matter which passage he reads, it applies to him.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:43:49 AM

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

By the way, the correct answer is "No". The command never did apply to a Gentile of any ilk. That's how I know that anyone who even asks such a question is hasn't got a clue. He takes instructions that were given to Jews, not Gentiles - and not only that, but given for a certain time-period.

Under ancient Jewish Law, adultery, fornication and rape were capital offenses. This law never applied to Gentiles as a religious law. Rape, of course, is still a capital offense under civil law in some countries. Jewish law, however, was nailed to the cross - fulfilled and abrogated and taken out of the way - in AD 33.

So when a person who is most likely a Gentile in the first place, and certainly living on this side of AD 33 asks a question like that, one has to wonder how much time he's devoted to properly dividing the Bible. I hope to goodness he doesn't read God's orders to the Jews to offer animal sacrifices. He might think he's supposed to do that too.
Dwint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:47:50 AM
Nonetheless it is true. The poor guy thinks he can flip open a Bible and no matter which passage he reads, it applies to him.

As long as Christians get to quote the Bible in order to "prove" homosexuality is a sin, atheists get to point out the obvious flaws of the Bible. The Bible is clearly not the word of God, it's just a compilation of ancient opinions, laws and philosophies. It's funny because Christians are the ones who usually take the Bible literally. Creationism is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, so if Genesis should be taken literally, why shouldn't any other book? Also, New Testament MUST be taken literally, because without it Christianity would fall apart.
You can't claim the Bible shouldn't be taken literally and consider Jesus' resurrection a fact at the same time.
Hitchens is the way!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 5:24:16 AM
At 4/26/2014 4:47:50 AM, Dwint wrote:

As long as Christians get to quote the Bible in order to "prove" homosexuality is a sin, atheists get to point out the obvious flaws of the Bible.

That's not true at all. Atheists have the right to point out any supposed flaws of the Bible whether a Christian ever even mentions homosexuality. Where'd you come up with that?

The Bible is clearly not the word of God, it's just a compilation of ancient opinions, laws and philosophies. It's funny because Christians are the ones who usually take the Bible literally. Creationism is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, so if Genesis should be taken literally, why shouldn't any other book?

One determines "literalness" or "figurativeness" based upon literature type and context. No Christian claims that Jesus was ever a literal lion or sheep, or that Herod was a literal fox. However, if the Bible says, "Murder is a sin" or "God created the earth", then we have no good reason to view the statements as figurative.

Also, New Testament MUST be taken literally, because without it Christianity would fall apart.

No, it doesn't. It falls apart when people DO try to take every word of it literally.

You can't claim the Bible shouldn't be taken literally and consider Jesus' resurrection a fact at the same time.

Sure you can. If not, Jesus would be a literal light, a literal door, a literal vine, a literal way, a literal lion, and a literal sheep all at the same time.
andymcstab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 8:15:09 AM

Yes or no answers.

First, this is old testament law. Testament means covenant, which is a contract with God. The old testament is the old contract, the new testament, guess what? Its the new contract. The new contract superseeds the old one.

Second, it is not about executing a women just because she is not a virgin, it is about lying about virginity. The actual verse is very different from your portrayal:

"3 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," 15 then the young woman"s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, "I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, "I did not find your daughter to be a virgin." But here is the proof of my daughter"s virginity." Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman"s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives."

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman"s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father"s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father"s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

It is about the lie which leads to the execution.
Needless to say, this law was for a 3000 year old culture. Survival was difficult. Women might have STD's and by calling herself a virgin, puts the entire tribe at risk. Obviously a virgin cannot carry sexual disease.

The old law needed to be harsh, as it says "You must purge the evil from among you.
", because it is from this tribe which Jesus would come, and bless all nations "And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed--all because you have obeyed me." So these laws were strict in part to secure the longevity of the tribe, so that Jesus could eventually live and bless all nations.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 9:29:24 AM
At 4/26/2014 4:13:03 AM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

so you are saying the bible doesn't apply to us today...just as i thought
but for those that lived in a time where unwarranted discrimination was sanctioned by the god of abraham...it was ahhhh warranted?
how weird.

:
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 9:31:15 AM
At 4/26/2014 4:43:49 AM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

By the way, the correct answer is "No". The command never did apply to a Gentile of any ilk.

yes and the jewish girl who didn't bleed on her wedding night and who of course didn't please her new husband deserved to be stoned to death...got it.

:
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 1:50:01 PM
At 4/26/2014 9:29:24 AM, perplexed wrote:
At 4/26/2014 4:13:03 AM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

so you are saying the bible doesn't apply to us today...just as i thought

Of course not. No more than polygamy, or animal sacrifices, or Jewish feast days apply to us.

but for those that lived in a time where unwarranted discrimination was sanctioned by the god of abraham...it was ahhhh warranted?
how weird.

It was a religious-civil law of the nation of Israel. By today's standards, I might think the death penalty for rape, for instance, is a little severe, but nonetheless there are many countries who invoke it.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 1:51:57 PM
At 4/26/2014 9:31:15 AM, perplexed wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

By the way, the correct answer is "No". The command never did apply to a Gentile of any ilk.

yes and the jewish girl who didn't bleed on her wedding night and who of course didn't please her new husband deserved to be stoned to death...got it.

Good. Then you won't be confused enough to try to apply OT passages to us today.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 3:57:02 PM
At 4/26/2014 1:51:57 PM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

Good. Then you won't be confused enough to try to apply OT passages to us today.

one wonders why all the excuses for defending a sociopathic god...it's the same god in the OT as in the NT...isn't it....

unlike you, i value consistency and try to avoid double standards...

:
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:11:07 PM
At 4/26/2014 3:57:02 PM, perplexed wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

one wonders why all the excuses for defending a sociopathic god...it's the same god in the OT as in the NT...isn't it....

Same God. Different directives to different people under different circumstances. It is not considered sociopathic to impose the death penalty for certain crimes, is it? Why don't inform us on that topic?

Repeat: is imposition of the death penalty for certain crimes "sociopathic"?
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:20:51 PM
At 4/26/2014 4:11:07 PM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

Same God. Different directives to different people under different circumstances.
oh i see god is subject to change according to the circumstances, got it.

It is not considered sociopathic to impose the death penalty for certain crimes, is it? Why don't inform us on that topic?

well not being a virgin seems pretty sociopathic to me, apparently not to you...but that's you.

the death penalty is barbaric....but i suppose barbaric resolutions resonates with barbaric people.

:
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:32:22 PM
At 4/26/2014 4:20:51 PM, perplexed wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

Same God. Different directives to different people under different circumstances.

Did I say that God changes, or that the directives of God change?

It is not considered sociopathic to impose the death penalty for certain crimes, is it? Why don't inform us on that topic?

well not being a virgin seems pretty sociopathic to me, apparently not to you...but that's you.

the death penalty is barbaric....but i suppose barbaric resolutions resonates with barbaric people.

Whether you consider it "barbaric" or not, I asked if the imposition of the death penalty for certain crimes is "sociopathic". That was the question. It's either "yes" or "no".
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 4:56:46 PM
At 4/26/2014 4:32:22 PM, annanicole wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

i see so your argument is, one day it's alright to stone a non virgin to death and the next day it isn't....and then god can say it's alright to stone non virgins again if he so wished to, got it.

Whether you consider it "barbaric" or not, I asked if the imposition of the death penalty for certain crimes is "sociopathic". That was the question. It's either "yes" or "no".
it's is sociopathic. yes yes yes indeed it is.

:
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 6:02:46 PM
At 4/26/2014 4:56:46 PM, perplexed wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

i see so your argument is, one day it's alright to stone a non virgin to death and the next day it isn't....and then god can say it's alright to stone non virgins again if he so wished to, got it.

Let me repeat the question, for we seem to have a literacy problem here: "Did I say that God changes, or that the directives of God change?"

Very well. Then according to you, all the atheists who support death penalty are sociopaths.

Could you give some references, standard references, which state that those who seek to impose the death penalty for certain crimes, whether theists or atheists, are sociopaths?
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 6:13:34 PM
At 4/26/2014 6:02:46 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 4/26/2014 4:56:46 PM, perplexed wrote:

Yes or no answers.

cowardly answer.

Let me repeat the question, for we seem to have a literacy problem here: "Did I say that God changes, or that the directives of God change?"

Very well. Then according to you, all the atheists who support death penalty are sociopaths.

yes, absolutely yes without a doubt...indeed they are.

Could you give some references, standard references, which state that those who seek to impose the death penalty for certain crimes, whether theists or atheists, are sociopaths?
sociopathy is the disregard for another persons rights...
everybody has the right to live, no matter what they have done...
in addition to that, the death penalty is also not standing on firm ground as there have been many innocent people who have been executed with the death penalty ....
thusly any system that isn't standing on firm ground, is a broken system when it comes to the killing someone as retribution for them taking another persons life...
in addition to that...anyone one death row will spend a gazzillion of our tax money for lawyers fees and everything else that would entail appeals courts....it's nothing but a bad solution

although i don't understand how not being a virgin for a husband to pop a girls cherry is a reason to kill her....so what does our death penalty system have anything to do with what your god sanctioned?
are you trying to change the subject?

: