Jump to topic:

Catholics, not showing love?

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:38:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I noticed lots of people who are devout atheists went to Catholics school or church growing up. Many of them hate the Christian religion. I have met some Catholics who are really nice, but I have never been to a Catholics church. What is it that Catholics do that is different than the other churches?
kfc
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:39:38 AM
At 2/2/2010 11:38:37 AM, Koopin wrote:
I noticed lots of people who are devout atheists went to Catholics school or church growing up. Many of them hate the Christian religion. I have met some Catholics who are really nice, but I have never been to a Catholics church. What is it that Catholics do that is different than the other churches?

Their open-mindedness to other religions and beliefs and science in general.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:42:09 AM
At 2/2/2010 11:39:38 AM, tkubok wrote:

HA! You wish.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:42:19 AM

See the Popes comments on Homosexuality
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:51:15 AM
I actually grew up as a Catholic and had a great experience. But I later rejected it for philosophical reasons. To me, it does not follow for a person to reject Catholicism simply because of a bad experience. Has nothing to do with the truth value of it.

Also, I find that Christians are the ones who condemn the Catholic church the most, and that's something that'll piss me off real quick if hear them doing it. Always claiming that they're the true Christians and the Catholics are fakes. Yet here they are, praising the Bible, a book compiled by the Catholic church.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:51:33 AM
At 2/2/2010 11:42:09 AM, True2GaGa wrote:

HA! You wish.
No i dont. The Catholic church, for example, has accepted Evolution as a viable and acceptable scientific theory. This is why Ken Miller, a catholic christian, also accepts Evolution.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:53:58 AM
At 2/2/2010 11:51:15 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I actually grew up as a Catholic and had a great experience. But I later rejected it for philosophical reasons. To me, it does not follow for a person to reject Catholicism simply because of a bad experience. Has nothing to do with the truth value of it.

Also, I find that Christians are the ones who condemn the Catholic church the most, and that's something that'll piss me off real quick if hear them doing it. Always claiming that they're the true Christians and the Catholics are fakes. Yet here they are, praising the Bible, a book compiled by the Catholic church.

Yes, many Christians do reject the Catholics. I do not know why though.
kfc
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:54:14 AM

Same.

Lol, good point!
President of DDO
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:55:38 AM
At 2/2/2010 11:51:33 AM, tkubok wrote:

HA! You wish.
No i dont. The Catholic church, for example, has accepted Evolution as a viable and acceptable scientific theory. This is why Ken Miller, a catholic christian, also accepts Evolution.

Well then, my priest is full of it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 12:29:17 PM
At 2/2/2010 11:55:38 AM, True2GaGa wrote:

HA! You wish.

I thought you were full of your priest
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 12:30:07 PM
At 2/2/2010 12:29:17 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 2/2/2010 11:55:38 AM, True2GaGa wrote:

HA! You wish.

I thought you were full of your priest

SICKO!!!!!! lol seriiously
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 12:46:26 PM

Not much, however Catholicism is the most conservative of the Christian denominations. The basis is that Catholics swear elegance to the clergy of Peter (The Roman Papacy) and that they believe god is ALWAYS THEIR IN THE PHYISCIAL, working.

Atheist attack Catholicism because by biblical standards it is the most honest to the bible*, and the bible is one grim codex.

*to the large denominations.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 12:49:57 PM
At 2/2/2010 12:46:26 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Not much, however Catholicism is the most conservative of the Christian denominations. The basis is that Catholics swear elegance to the clergy of Peter (The Roman Papacy) and that they believe god is ALWAYS THEIR IN THE PHYISCIAL, working.

Atheist attack Catholicism because by biblical standards it is the most honest to the bible*, and the bible is one grim codex.

Thats a lie. The literal bible thumpers are closer to the baptist churches and megachurches found across US than the catholic church, and those are by far the most honest to the bible.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 12:56:01 PM
At 2/2/2010 12:49:57 PM, tkubok wrote:

Thats a lie. The literal bible thumpers are closer to the baptist churches and megachurches found across US than the catholic church, and those are by far the most honest to the bible.

That is questionable, majorities favor my truth.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 1:05:08 PM
At 2/2/2010 12:56:01 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 2/2/2010 12:49:57 PM, tkubok wrote:

That is questionable, majorities favor my truth.

The catholic church is only a majority because it is the oldest.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 1:05:42 PM

Well technically the original Catholic Church, not Roman Catholicism which is a subsequent heresey.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 1:17:24 PM

HA! You wish.

Cath. people generally are pretty open minded.

See: the jesuits

Of course they also "officially" are supposed to think a lot of uncool things, but in practice I'd say Catholics are some of the most reasonable Theists.

But then maybe that's just my bias from having been one.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 1:24:53 PM
What is it that Catholics do that is different than the other churches?

As Hitchens famously put it, the Catholic Church abides by that old slogan, "no child's behind left". That's one thing they do differently.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 1:30:39 PM
I think the reason why you see so many "Catholic atheists" is because of both the prevalence of the group (Catholics outnumber Protestants something like 3:1), and because of the history and mindset of the institution itself. It is a very old organization that has gone through reformations and its battles with science, and has generally learned its lesson in regards to essentially being "revisionists," opting to instead work with science, rather than attempt to destroy it as some of the more radical Protestant sects attempt.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 1:56:13 PM

Well, their despicable stance on condoms is the reason I have a deep seated dislike of the Catholic Church, but I think other Christian denominations just hate it 'cause it's like the official Christian denomination, and a lot of them strongly disagree with some of it's interpretations of Christian scripture. Like elevating Mary almost to the same level of worship as Jesus.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 2:06:20 PM
At 2/2/2010 1:56:13 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Like elevating Mary almost to the same level of worship as Jesus.

Those evil Catholics, how dare they! Lol. The Catholics worship the father, the son, AND the mother! Christians won't have any of that. Male worship only. Females are responsible for bringing sin upon the entire world.

SMH at patriarchical religions.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 2:33:55 PM
As a former (Roman) Catholic, I would say that there are several reasons a (rational and humanitarian) Catholic would leave his faith:

1. Unrealistic expectations: the rule regarding abstinence before marriage is an anachronistic tool for maintaining social order that just doesn't work well in the modern era. Even most Catholics don't abide by it. The same goes for going to Church every Sunday, priestly celibacy, etc.

2. Crazy Beliefs: You need to believe that a bread wafer and some wine literally (not figuratively) become someone's body and blood. Then you need to be happy you can eat and drink these things.

3. Heavily Authoritarian: No matter how much more sense you make than the man with the white and black collar, he's right because he's closer to God than you. Anyone who follows that man's orders is also right, should you think to oppose them.

4. Confessions: "Hey, did you hear what Billy did? Don't tell anybody, but I heard from Fred who heard from Sally who overheard Billy saying to Father Dan ..."

5. The Bible: You need to believe that it tells you what is right and wrong ... if you're smart, and you read it, you probably begin to have doubts about that ...

6. Nepotism: "Did you hear that Billy's an alter boy in his church? He was accepted over five other supplicants! Well, yes, we do give heavily to the Church coffers, but what does that have do with anything? ... Billy! Stop hitting those children!"

7. Cult mentality: No matter how good you are, if you leave the Catholic church you are doomed to go to hell.

8. Broken Aesops: The Story of Job, The Death of Moses, etc.

9. Materialistic: See the part about Nepotism ... then read the passages in the Bible where Jesus decries accumulating wealth ... Our church actually had a minimum donation expected when the collection basket was passed around.

10. Socially Repressive: See homosexuality.

11. Corrupt: Child sex scandals, subversive global politics and money laundering, oh my!
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
i-am-music08
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:24:34 PM
I would like to point out that there are many different Catholic insitutions. There are central beliefs that make them all Catholic but not every single Catholic instituion has the EXACT same focus.

1.)http://en.wikipedia.org...
--over three hundred institutions listed.

To say that catholics are "not nice" is a stereotype.

2.)http://remember.org...

"A "stereotype" is a generalization about a person or group of persons. We develop stereotypes when we are unable or unwilling to obtain all of the information we would need to make fair judgments about people or situations. In the absence of the "total picture," stereotypes in many cases allow us to "fill in the blanks." Our society often innocently creates and perpetuates stereotypes, but these stereotypes often lead to unfair discrimination and persecution when the stereotype is unfavorable. " 2.)

By the way Catholic Churches and Schools take pride in their community service to others!!! Please Practice some religious tolerance.
i-am-music08
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:31:01 PM
At 2/2/2010 2:06:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Those evil Catholics, how dare they! Lol. The Catholics worship the father, the son, AND the mother! Christians won't have any of that. Male worship only. Females are responsible for bringing sin upon the entire world.

ACTUALLY, Catholics believe in the Holy Trinity ( God the father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit) Catholics do NOT worship Mary. They respect her as the mother of God but do NOT worship her. Research before you accuse...

1.)http://www.americancatholic.org...
i-am-music08
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:35:31 PM

and not ALL Catholics take the words of the Bible literally, don't stereotype!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:36:57 PM
At 2/2/2010 2:33:55 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:

5. The Bible: You need to believe that it tells you what is right and wrong ... if you're smart, and you read it, you probably begin to have doubts about that ...

lol, what catholic do you know that actually reads the bible?

That's what the priests are for.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
i-am-music08
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:39:09 PM

Well, their despicable stance on condoms is the reason I have a deep seated dislike of the Catholic Church, but I think other Christian denominations just hate it 'cause it's like the official Christian denomination, and a lot of them strongly disagree with some of it's interpretations of Christian scripture. Like elevating Mary almost to the same level of worship as Jesus.

Catholics do not worship Mary, they respect her as the mother of God but she is not worshipped. Catholics believe in the Holy Trinity, GOD the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Um...I think you may have the wrong religion if you think they worship Mary....

1.)http://www.americancatholic.org...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:40:27 PM
At 2/2/2010 4:31:01 PM, i-am-music08 wrote:
At 2/2/2010 2:06:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

ACTUALLY, Catholics believe in the Holy Trinity ( God the father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit) Catholics do NOT worship Mary. They respect her as the mother of God but do NOT worship her. Research before you accuse...

Hail Mary mother of grace, the lord is with you.....Holy, mary mother of god.....

Metaphysics:
i-am-music08
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 4:43:56 PM
At 2/2/2010 4:36:57 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/2/2010 2:33:55 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:

lol, what catholic do you know that actually reads the bible?

That's what the priests are for

Catholics do read the Bible, it is meant to be taken as inspirational stories on how to live you life. It is not 100% true, and most catholics dont take it literally.