Jump to topic:

Religious Pluralism

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 6:30:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Religious Pluralism is the idea that all religions are equally valid interpretations of the same divine reality.

Why do some many people believe that this idea is impossible?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:41:34 PM
At 4/12/2014 6:30:52 PM, Romanii wrote:
Religious Pluralism is the idea that all religions are equally valid interpretations of the same divine reality.

Because of the law of non-contradiction. It is impossible for all religions to be equally valid since they actually do disagree with each other on many things.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:14:55 PM
At 4/12/2014 10:41:34 PM, philochristos wrote:

Because of the law of non-contradiction. It is impossible for all religions to be equally valid since they actually do disagree with each other on many things.

Damn, why did you have to respond of all people...
We were planning on doing an actual debate on this, right?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:16:35 PM
At 4/12/2014 11:14:55 PM, Romanii wrote:

Damn, why did you have to respond of all people...
We were planning on doing an actual debate on this, right?

Yeah, so why are you wanting to discuss it on the forums? Besides, I just said the same thing I said in that debate we already almost had. :-) I'll be quiet from now on.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:36:28 PM

I have often pondered this myself. To me it seems the most valid explanation for why all cultures believed in gods, yet "painted" their conceptualizations based upon their own cultures and experiences. I once had a favorite pair of radio DJs who I listened to every day, and of course in my mind I formed images of them based on how they sounded to me personally. Then one day I attended an event where they were present, and I was totally blown-away by how different their real appearances were compared to what I had expected. The human mind is very good at building models based upon input to the brain, but since we are subjective beings we necessarily incorporate parts of ourselves into those models.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:43:41 PM
At 4/12/2014 11:36:28 PM, Idealist wrote:

I have often pondered this myself. To me it seems the most valid explanation for why all cultures believed in gods, yet "painted" their conceptualizations based upon their own cultures and experiences. I once had a favorite pair of radio DJs who I listened to every day, and of course in my mind I formed images of them based on how they sounded to me personally. Then one day I attended an event where they were present, and I was totally blown-away by how different their real appearances were compared to what I had expected. The human mind is very good at building models based upon input to the brain, but since we are subjective beings we necessarily incorporate parts of ourselves into those models.

Were they both men? Have you ever wondered why their appearance would be so important to you?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:46:12 PM

Because some creeds contradict their own self, to start with and can't be valid.

And some creeds openly consider some other creeds as unvalid.

Monotheists consider paganism as the worst sin as an example.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:55:31 PM
At 4/12/2014 11:43:41 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/12/2014 11:36:28 PM, Idealist wrote:

Were they both men? Have you ever wondered why their appearance would be so important to you?

Yes, they were both men, and I'm not in the least attracted to men. Their appearances weren't really important. It's just that when you listen to a person long enough your mind begins building a model of them, and since our brains are vision-oriented we tend to build visual models. It's the same on forums like the ones here on DDO. You develop expectations based upon past observation, even if that observation is only in the form of words. You start to like or dislike people based on very narrow knowledge of their true personality, using the model created inside your mind instead.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:03:14 AM

This logic could stop science right in its tracks. Bohr refused to accept Einstein's theory of quantised light for over a decade after he published it, and Einstein rejected Bohr's quantum mechanics until the day he died. This was not unusual. Science is largely based upon unifying disparate ideas and theories. It's main goal is to eventually discover a single unified theory, or a "theory of everything" which will encompass all others. If scientists can take contradicting beliefs and use them to build a single unifying truth then why can't religion?
SubterFugitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:08:21 AM

Because the belief B, that all religions are equally valid, entails a contradiction, which means B is impossible.

For suppose that B includes Buddism U, and Christianity C.

C affirms that creation is finite, U claims it's infinite, C claims there is one way into heaven, U claims the opposite.

Hence if B includes the conjunction of U & C, then B is logically incoherent, and therefore impossible.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:18:44 AM
At 4/13/2014 12:03:14 AM, Idealist wrote:

This logic could stop science right in its tracks. Bohr refused to accept Einstein's theory of quantised light for over a decade after he published it, and Einstein rejected Bohr's quantum mechanics until the day he died. This was not unusual. Science is largely based upon unifying disparate ideas and theories. It's main goal is to eventually discover a single unified theory, or a "theory of everything" which will encompass all others. If scientists can take contradicting beliefs and use them to build a single unifying truth then why can't religion?

Because religions explicitly contradict each other. The disparity between them is not merely apparent. I used to subscribe to religious pluralism when I was a teenager, but that was only because I didn't know enough about various religions to know that they actually were irreconcilable. The more I learned about them, the more clear it became to me that it is impossible for them to all be true.

Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 12:29:11 AM
At 4/13/2014 12:18:44 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/13/2014 12:03:14 AM, Idealist wrote:

Because religions explicitly contradict each other. The disparity between them is not merely apparent. I used to subscribe to religious pluralism when I was a teenager, but that was only because I didn't know enough about various religions to know that they actually were irreconcilable. The more I learned about them, the more clear it became to me that it is impossible for them to all be true.

Many scientific theories have explicitly contradicted each other, and some still do. At times one has triumphed over the other, and at other times they have turned-out to be partial descriptions of the same phenomena. I agree that it's not possible for them all to be right, but theoretically they could still all be based on a single misunderstood universal creator.